Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leonard Bocking

Anthony Bagshaw

Funny, I had a look at Scotland's People yesterday too ....

.... I wonder if there are any kind Pals in Dublin who might spare the time to look in the Irish death records. Just in case.

Browsing Ancestry for Mansfield, Came across this record:

Name: William Collins

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1886

Age at enlistment: 28

Birth Parish: Mansfield

Birth County: Nottinghamshire

Document Year: 1914

Regimental Number: 27212

Is this Sarah Ann Bockings future husband?

Anthony, did you download it. Would you like the record?

PM if you wish me to get it for you and add your email - best to send it that way to save blocking forum with attachments.

Susan.

PS if i am not mistaken - this chap lived in Worsop Road, Mansfield Woodhouse............ Dad Frederick Collins

Is that what it reads??????? OH er

post-8059-1185663846.jpg

Very sorry about the size. I cannot quite master reduction yet.

Susan,

Would you mind?

I have gone for the pay per view option, god knows why as only have 4 credits left.

Could be him, the Mansfield Woodhouse connection is interesting though

Thank you

Will email it to you. Downloaded it last evening.

Susan.

Susan,

Thank you received, have sent you a PM and an email

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

Exciting update, Susan has come up with a right gem of information, will leave it to Susan to tell you more!

It's good, it's really good!! :D

OK,

Here we go from Ethels birth certificate courtesy of Susan:

Born: 29th February 1908 at 39 High Street, Mansfield Woodhouse (yes, you read it correctly).

Name: Ethel

Sex: Girl

Name and surname of father: Leonard Bockin

Name, Surname and maiden name of mother: Sara Ann Bockin formerly Clarke (as you suspected)

Occupation of Father: COAL MINER

Signature, description and residence of informant: Leonard Bockin, Father, 39 High Street, Mansfield Woodhouse

When registered: Twenty Seventh April, 1908.

Registrar: Hugh Pearce

Susan asks a good question, why if born on 29th Feb wasn't the birth registered until 27th April??

have now looked at colliery deaths.

7.2.13 Rufford Colliery 14 died

30.6.15 Betinck Colliery 10 died

No names given on site(s) i have looked at.

Newspapers should give details though and worth a look.

and if he did not die in a mining accident:

Just another thought, because he was a miner - would he have opted to join the RE (tunneller or something) ....

Susan.

Bentinck colliery deaths were SYSON age 18, BACON 40, BROWN 14, WRIGHT 45, STATON 32, ALEN 32, SIMPSON , KING 25, FLETCHER 39. from Colliery Deaths Bentinck web site. Ralph. only lists nine men one W BACON seriously injured.

Well done Ralph.

Drives you mad! Also Ralph, Anthony suggested that he may have worked in the "Sherwood" Colliery.

Is there any info on that only it did not come up in the mining disaster lists at all.

Susan.

So glad to see a little more progress and another clue!

Susan asks a good question, why if born on 29th Feb wasn't the birth registered until 27th April??

Nothing out of the ordinary there. Some parents never got around to registering their children's births at all.

Maybe they had the excuse that it was a leap year...

Grace, do you know when the six week (I think) deadline for registering was introduced? (I only just made this myself with our second son!)

Pit death does sound plausable i suppose, but why would a pit death get him on the war memorial?

Myrtle,

Cheers

Bit like the Bevin Boys of World War 2?

Suppose he was one of these and died doing his 'bit' would have deserved a mention no doubt. Interesting is this!!

but why would a pit death get him on the war memorial?

Being a Boy Scout and dying of the flu was enough to get one of my Stockport lads on.

John

I agree that if Leonard met his death as a result of being a miner, this may well have been seen as part of the war effort and deserving of a place on the war memorial. He may have died in a single accident, or of a mining-related illness like silicosis. It’s curious that his death seems not to have been reported or registered. Still at least you know you must have the right man now, with the address confirmed.

Another long shot that no one seems to have suggested so far. Are there any long-established local funeral firms? Sometimes they keep records from way back.

Any luck yet with the Notts FHS cemetery listings and your trawl through Mansfield and environs?

There is a site National Database of Mining Deaths in Great Britain by Ian Winstanley he doesnt pretend that it is complete, I have trawled through it and cannot find Leonard mentioned. Ralph.

Any luck yet with the Notts FHS cemetery listings and your trawl through Mansfield and environs?

Andy,

Yes mate, they haven't got anything. Am trying to find few day or 2 to have a look round

Being a Boy Scout and dying of the flu was enough to get one of my Stockport lads on.

John,

No wonder it's so difficult some times. How did you manage to identify him just out of curiosity?

Anthony

Just a thought but could Leonard have been a miner and a part time member ofthe local Volunteer Force unit?

Regards

Mel

Mel,

Really don't know, suppose he could have been but i don't even know if there wereany local defence units, i'm guessing there must have been but if there were i've never come across them