Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

leo mcguire

I just discovered my Grand father..Anthony McGuire...Royal Engineers...Reg # 130154....was wounded in the foot and sent back to a hospital in the UK for treatment and then discharged from the Engineers and sent back to Canada. Would you know which hospital he might have been sent to and would I be able to check their records etc. This would have been in late 1916...

Thanks Leo McGuire

brianmorris547

Leo

Terry will be along shortly no doubt. I do not have him on my 1916/17 RE Index but FMP has a record for 130154 with a question mark against the name. This means that the details are obscure. The record is a very faint casuaslty list No H A 5981 dated January 1917. 130154 is the pemultimate name. It is actually 130434 (Pnr Noble A G) Special Brigade.

Terry

There are a number of other SB men on this list, which was too faint for me to post. It can be found in the Service Record of 11588 William Ford. South Staffordshire Regt. 130434 also has a hit on FMP for MH/106. It is MH 106/1444 dated May 1916 and there are a number of SB men in that record too.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547

brianmorris547

Terry

I was trying to find another name on a Mesopotamia list, Green, L which led me to two records on FMP (neither of which was who I was looking for).

178921 Pnr L Green, 1 Bn SB died 24/08/1916 (There are two records for him in the British Jewry Book of Honour, one of which is a photograph) and 179455 L/Cpl H Green. The book can be searched and contains other SB men.

Brian

Terry_Reeves
4 hours ago, leo mcguire said:

I just discovered my Grand father..Anthony McGuire...Royal Engineers...Reg # 130154....was wounded in the foot and sent back to a hospital in the UK for treatment and then discharged from the Engineers and sent back to Canada. Would you know which hospital he might have been sent to and would I be able to check their records etc. This would have been in late 1916...

Thanks Leo McGuire

Leo

I can’t help directly with you question I’m afraid. He had previous service with the King’s Liverpool Regiment with the number 5193 and would have been transferred to the RE in March 1916. Unless there is a medical record somewhere I think you may be struggling to find where he was treated. I have extracted the names of all the men named in the unit war diaries however and will have a look through them to see if he is mentioned in respect of being a casualty, which would then give some sort of time line.

4 hours ago, leo mcguire said:

Thanks Leo McGuire

2 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

Terry

I was trying to find another name on a Mesopotamia list, Green, L which led me to two records on FMP (neither of which was who I was looking for).

178921 Pnr L Green, 1 Bn SB died 24/08/1916 (There are two records for him in the British Jewry Book of Honour, one of which is a photograph) and 179455 L/Cpl H Green. The book can be searched and contains other SB men.

Brian

Brian thanks. I do have the book on CD somewhere.

TT

brianmorris547

Terry

I thought you might have !

Last year you very kindly sent me some lists of SB men wounded between September 1916 and early 1917. Nine pages in all. Can you please tell me which WD they were from with the WO 95 ref. I can download it next time at Kew.

Cheers

Brian 

brianmorris547

Terry

Thanks for the message re WO 95/122. Downloaded.

One of the names in 122/6 (casualty lists October 1916) is 41724 Sgt Orrin, J. He is named in an extract from Fourth Army Routine Orders for an act of bravery on 09/02/1918. The document is in the service record of 60979 Cpl Skelly RE, who is also named with 44922 2/Cpl Locke.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547

Terry_Reeves

Thanks Brian.

TR