Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Recommended Posts

leo mcguire

I just discovered my Grand father..Anthony McGuire...Royal Engineers...Reg # 130154....was wounded in the foot and sent back to a hospital in the UK for treatment and then discharged from the Engineers and sent back to Canada. Would you know which hospital he might have been sent to and would I be able to check their records etc. This would have been in late 1916...

Thanks Leo McGuire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brianmorris547

Leo

Terry will be along shortly no doubt. I do not have him on my 1916/17 RE Index but FMP has a record for 130154 with a question mark against the name. This means that the details are obscure. The record is a very faint casuaslty list No H A 5981 dated January 1917. 130154 is the pemultimate name. It is actually 130434 (Pnr Noble A G) Special Brigade.

Terry

There are a number of other SB men on this list, which was too faint for me to post. It can be found in the Service Record of 11588 William Ford. South Staffordshire Regt. 130434 also has a hit on FMP for MH/106. It is MH 106/1444 dated May 1916 and there are a number of SB men in that record too.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brianmorris547

Terry

I was trying to find another name on a Mesopotamia list, Green, L which led me to two records on FMP (neither of which was who I was looking for).

178921 Pnr L Green, 1 Bn SB died 24/08/1916 (There are two records for him in the British Jewry Book of Honour, one of which is a photograph) and 179455 L/Cpl H Green. The book can be searched and contains other SB men.

Brian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Terry_Reeves
4 hours ago, leo mcguire said:

I just discovered my Grand father..Anthony McGuire...Royal Engineers...Reg # 130154....was wounded in the foot and sent back to a hospital in the UK for treatment and then discharged from the Engineers and sent back to Canada. Would you know which hospital he might have been sent to and would I be able to check their records etc. This would have been in late 1916...

Thanks Leo McGuire

Leo

 

I can’t help directly with you question I’m afraid. He had previous service with the King’s Liverpool Regiment with the number 5193 and would have been transferred to the RE in March 1916. Unless there is a medical record somewhere I think you may be struggling to find where he was treated. I have extracted the names of all the men named in the unit war diaries however and will have a look through them to see if he is mentioned in respect of being a casualty, which would then give some sort of time line.

4 hours ago, leo mcguire said:

I just discovered my Grand father..Anthony McGuire...Royal Engineers...Reg # 130154....was wounded in the foot and sent back to a hospital in the UK for treatment and then discharged from the Engineers and sent back to Canada. Would you know which hospital he might have been sent to and would I be able to check their records etc. This would have been in late 1916...

Thanks Leo McGuire

 

2 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

Terry

I was trying to find another name on a Mesopotamia list, Green, L which led me to two records on FMP (neither of which was who I was looking for).

178921 Pnr L Green, 1 Bn SB died 24/08/1916 (There are two records for him in the British Jewry Book of Honour, one of which is a photograph) and 179455 L/Cpl H Green. The book can be searched and contains other SB men.

Brian

Brian thanks. I do have the book on CD somewhere.

 

TT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brianmorris547

Terry

I thought you might have !

Last year you very kindly sent me some lists of SB men wounded between September 1916 and early 1917. Nine pages in all. Can you please tell me which WD they were from with the WO 95 ref. I can download it next time at Kew.

Cheers

Brian 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brianmorris547

Terry

Thanks for the message re WO 95/122. Downloaded.

One of the names in 122/6 (casualty lists October 1916) is 41724 Sgt Orrin, J. He is named in an extract from Fourth Army Routine Orders for an act of bravery on 09/02/1918. The document is in the service record of 60979 Cpl Skelly RE, who is also named with 44922 2/Cpl Locke.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Terry_Reeves

Thanks Brian.

 

TR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pabs1964

Hi there,

Im trying to find out some information about my Grandfather Harry Burton born 1893 (some state 1894)

Apparently N Special Company
To all accounts he was Royal Engineer 28890 who served on Western Front.

He later transferred to RFC/RAF as Pilot Cadet 318989

 

Would live to know if you could find any other information or point me to where I could find any further service records.
I have trawled archives, ancestry, find my past but think that his records may have been destroyed WW@

 

Would appreciate any assistance you could provide.

 

Thanks, Paul

 

 

Harry Burton Colourised and Edited.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Terry_Reeves

Pabs

 

Can you say where you got the information from regarding Harry's number? According to the RE medal rolls 28890 was allocated to Sapper Edward J Smith.

 

TR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Terry_Reeves

Pabs

 

There is a zero missing from the number in your original post, however, this still remains a mystery as 288900 per his RFC record does not appear in the RE medal rolls either, nor is there an index card for him with that number.  I'll see what I can do.

 

TR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JonathanHacker
On 15/12/2018 at 17:57, Terry_Reeves said:

Jon

 

Sorry I missed your post,, I was abroad when you posted it. Hope you had a good trip and thanks for posting the photograph.

 

He does have as service record, if you haven't  seen it let me know and I will post the details.

 

TR

 

 

So sorry Terry.  I sent this message last November, then didn't check for replies.  My omission.  Yes, I've had my Grandad Lovett's service record for a number of years now.  I also went up to Kew and looked through the war diary of No. 2 Special Co'y.  (I've recently been able to download the complete diary and that of 77 Field Ambulance, where he was cared for when suffering from shell shock.)  I've just finished reading Richter's book 'Chemical Soldiers'.  I didn't find any reference to No. 2 Special Co'y, indeed the Stokes mortar units don't get very much mention.  Would that be because they weren't considered as significant in the campaign?  I plan to visit France in March next year.  My wife and I have booked an Airbnb in St Omer, very close to Helfaut.  From the Company war diary I've traced the route my grandfather might have travelled in 1917-18.  I hope to visit some of the significant locations.  I realise that there will be little to see today.

I'd value any thoughts/ suggestions you might have.

Jonathan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Terry_Reeves

 Jonathan

 

No worries.  With regard to Richter, I guess it is because he was concerned with the bigger picture so to speak. The mortar companies certainly played their part and suffered a lot of casualties. 

 

I would recommend visiting the following:

 

Wizernes:  Special Brigade men detrained at the small station there and marched up the hill to Helfaut. Google map ref: 50.707112, 2.246492

 

The chalk quarry, just a few hundred metres away, where the original SB men practised their revolver firing. This is now a French Army  firing range at the bottom of the hill. Google map ref: 50.705038, 2.247190

 

The La Couple Centre de' Histoire which is  close by and sign posted (see also Google maps) This is a WW2 German V weapon site and is very well worth a visit.

 

The Mairie in Helfaut which served as the Special Brigade HQ and Depot BEF throughout the war.It can be found in Rue du Pipistraque.

 

Longuenesse (St Omer) Souvenir  Military Cemetry. The  details can be found on the CWG web site. With regard to the Special Brigade, it contains the grave of Pioneer Sijli Abdul Ali who was killed whilst in hospital at St Omer as the result of an air raid. Of Indian descent, he was born in England. If you would like to send me you e-mail address via the forum message system I will send you the details.

 

St Omer. This was the British GHQ from October 12, 1914  to 31 April, 1916. Again, I can send you some details via an e-mail.

 

TR

 

 

 

 

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JonathanHacker
1 hour ago, Terry_Reeves said:

 Jonathan

 

No worries.  With regard to Richter, I guess it is because he was concerned with the bigger picture so to speak. The mortar companies certainly played their part and suffered a lot of casualties. 

 

I would recommend visiting the following:

 

Wizernes:  Special Brigade men detrained at the small station there and marched up the hill to Helfaut. Google map ref: 50.707112, 2.246492

 

The chalk quarry, just a few hundred metres away, where the original SB men practised their revolver firing. This is now a French Army  firing range at the bottom of the hill. Google map ref: 50.705038, 2.247190

 

The La Couple Centre de' Histoire which is  close by and sign posted (see also Google maps) This is a WW2 German V weapon site and is very well worth a visit.

 

The Mairie in Helfaut which served as the Special Brigade HQ and Depot BEF throughout the war.It can be found in Rue du Pipistraque.

 

Longuenesse (St Omer) Souvenir  Military Cemetry. The  details can be found on the CWG web site. With regard to the Special Brigade, it contains the grave of Pioneer Sijli Abdul Ali who was killed whilst in hospital at St Omer as the result of an air raid. Of Indian descent, he was born in England. If you would like to send me you e-mail address via the forum message system I will send you the details.

 

St Omer. This was the British GHQ from October 12, 1914  to 31 April, 1916. Again, I can send you some details via an e-mail.

 

TR

 

 

 

 

Thanks Terry. My email is 180devonshire@gmail.com

Jonathan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stuart T

Don't go to France assuming there will be little left to see. Get trench maps relating to your war diaries and overlay them on modern satellite imagery. Not only did we find broad battlefields but actual tracks followed and even a very obvious machine gun post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JonathanHacker
7 hours ago, Stuart T said:

Don't go to France assuming there will be little left to see. Get trench maps relating to your war diaries and overlay them on modern satellite imagery. Not only did we find broad battlefields but actual tracks followed and even a very obvious machine gun post.

Thanks Stuart

I'm not sure my technological abilities stretch that far!  Can you give me any tips as to which website/s have the most accurate trench maps that can be downloaded?

Places mentioned in the War Diary of No. 2 Special Co'y include: Verquioneul, Sailly Labourse, Nieppe, Eikhoek, Zillebeke, Poperinghe, Forthem, Grand Bois, Neuve Eglise, Hazebrouck, Pont de Metz, Ruitz & Arras.  I realise that some of these places may have been training/ back-up locations, away from the front line trenches.

Jonathan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stuart T

I started with the National Library of Scotland which shows you how the sheets line up and overlap. They have a number of dates (use the closest) and scales. Read the instructions and persevere!

The best downloads (up to 1GB) are from McMaster.edu.  check the different series available. I found that trench maps were hiding on page two of the contents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JonathanHacker
13 hours ago, Stuart T said:

I started with the National Library of Scotland which shows you how the sheets line up and overlap. They have a number of dates (use the closest) and scales. Read the instructions and persevere!

The best downloads (up to 1GB) are from McMaster.edu.  check the different series available. I found that trench maps were hiding on page two of the contents.

Thanks Stuart.  I will investigate!

Jonathan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...