Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Terry_Reeves

Terry

Thank you very much for the information and all your efforts compiling the records.

I would love to know more about his military record. I believe his records were lost in a fire during WW2.

I have a copy of his promotion to 2nd Lt which may be of interest.

Kind regards

Steve

20190307_172941.jpg.319ce72acebc4e9c0fdd6086971bce5f.jpg

Thanks Steve.

There is a possibility that his personal record is at the National Archives in WO339 120117. It will need a visit to see it.

TR

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/12/2002 at 15:21, Terry_Reeves said:

Over the past few years I have been compiling a roll of men who served in the RE Special Brigade and Special Companies. This formation was responsible for Britains chemical warfare effort.

I am now able to identify some 2-3000 of these men but would like to hear from any forum member who has information about any individual whom they believe served in the Brigade.

In particular, I would be interested in number and rank, any snippets of personal information, and in the case of those men who were killed, the location of any town or village war memorial that they may have been commemorated on.

If I can help anybody with identifying men whom they believe were in the Specials I will be pleased to do so.

Terry Reeves

Hi Terry I'm researching the history of Ayr St Andrews at the moment, in particular the WW1 memorial.

I'm looking at Sapper James Provan Milliken 154447 at the moment, and note he is commemorated on the Loos Memorial.

He was in the 4th Special Coy, Royal Engineers and died on 14th July 1918.

I would be happy to share or receive any information about him.

5 hours ago, Ian Lamberton said:

Hi Terry I'm researching the history of Ayr St Andrews at the moment, in particular the WW1 memorial.

I'm looking at Sapper James Provan Milliken 154447 at the moment, and note he is commemorated on the Loos Memorial.

He was in the 4th Special Coy, Royal Engineers and died on 14th July 1918.

I would be happy to share or receive any information about him.

Ian

Thanks for your post. He has no service record unfortunately, however he is mentioned in the company war diary on the 14th as being killed in action along with Lt EG Armitage RE, Pioneer Joseph Reginald Cayland, Spr Albert Williams, and Pnr William Dick. Three other men were wounded.  The company HQ was at Aix Noulette. Oddly, there is no mention of an operation that day either in the war diary nor in the end of war summary of operations. 

He would have joined the Special Brigade around March 1916, just at the time when they were expanded from the original four special companies to a brigade organisation.  No 4 Special Mortar  Coy was part of 5th Mortar Battalion and fired smoke, chemical and incendiary rounds. 

James  was born at Symington, Ayshire and enlisted Ayr. His entry in Soldiers Effects shows there were a number of siblings Mathew, Annie, Jenny, Margret and John. His effects went to sister Jenny.  She also was the recipient of a pension of 12/- pw from 28.1.1919 and a terminal gratuity on 23.2.1920. Her address was given as 32 Hunters Ave, Ayr.

TR

1 hour ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Ian

Thanks for your post. He has no service record unfortunately, however he is mentioned in the company war diary on the 14th as being killed in action along with Lt EG Armitage RE, Pioneer Joseph Reginald Cayland, Spr Albert Williams, and Pnr William Dick. Three other men were wounded.  The company HQ was at Aix Noulette. Oddly, there is no mention of an operation that day either in the war diary nor in the end of war summary of operations. 

He would have joined the Special Brigade around March 1916, just at the time when they were expanded from the original four special companies to a brigade organisation.  No 4 Special Mortar  Coy was part of 5th Mortar Battalion and fired smoke, chemical and incendiary rounds. 

James  was born at Symington, Ayshire and enlisted Ayr. His entry in Soldiers Effects shows there were a number of siblings Mathew, Annie, Jenny, Margret and John. His effects went to sister Jenny.  She also was the recipient of a pension of 12/- pw from 28.1.1919 and a terminal gratuity on 23.2.1920. Her address was given as 32 Hunters Ave, Ayr.

TR

1 hour ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Ian

TR

Thankyou for your help Terry, its very much appreciated

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/12/2016 at 12:36, Guest said:

I'm not sure if this thread is still active but I'll try anyway.

I'm interested in Sgt Nathaniel Lobb MM 5818 who was in the Special Section of the Special Brigade. He died in March 1917 in a Field Hospital but I think this was due to an illness rather than any wounds. He served in the Second Boer War.

I am compiling (slowly) a book commemorating all those listed on our local war memorial in Stoke Climsland (Cornwall) and Sgt Lobb is one such.

Any information about him and/or what he might have done will be gratefully received.

happy New Year,

Derrick Parsons

Derrick, these are his medals 

63F84361-52B6-460B-B9E5-2D9069CAD18B.jpeg

• Admin

Derrick is no longer a member here as denoted by the Guest prefix. We won't hold any contact information for him.

Michelle

4 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Derrick is no longer a member here as denoted by the Guest prefix. We won't hold any contact information for him.

Michelle

Thanks Michelle

I’m somewhat curious if SGT LOBB’s medal index card is correct, as in 127 D company? 

His medal is impressed ‘SPECIAL BRIGADE’ what he did or what his roll was so to speak 

A5D60A7F-DA87-41CB-BFC4-D210B9E0209C.jpeg.ab3d8adf74f1b09aeace77a7d48880dc.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/06/2021 at 07:35, davesmedals said:

On 25/06/2021 at 01:06, davesmedals said:

I’m somewhat curious if SGT LOBB’s medal index card is correct, as in 127 D company? 

His medal is impressed ‘SPECIAL BRIGADE’ what he did or what his roll was so to speak 

He was in both, he also had the south Africa medal with bars and the MM, 

Were is his south Africa medal with bars

Can you tell me were these are please as he is apart of my family

On 25/06/2021 at 01:06, davesmedals said:

12 FD Co   

12 Field Company (6 Div)

Brian

13 hours ago, Christopher9090 said:

He was in both, he also had the south Africa medal with bars and the MM, 

Were is his south Africa medal with bars

Can you tell me were these are please as he is apart of my family

He is my mum's 2nd grate uncle. We have been looking for the medals for a long time as the disappeared from the family. Hope you can help me and let me know were they are as would love to bring them back into the family

• Admin

Try sending a private message to @davesmedals

Christopher, thanks for posting. He was posted from 12 Field Company RE to Z Special Company. Members of the unit attended his funeral on 12.3.17 which is mentioned in the unit war diary. He would have been transferred to the books of HQ Special Special Brigade after being hospitalised. This has no significance, it was simply an administrative measure. 

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

3 minutes ago, davesmedals said:

Thanks for all the comments, Christopher do you have any pictures of him?

I will have a look, can you please tell me were the medals are and how you got them

• 2 weeks later...

The MM group of Sgt. Frederick Thomas Ricketts 47987, Z Special Reserve RE (LG 1917) is currently for sale online (no connection to me).

LG 17 Sept. 1917 - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30287/supplement/9611  The sale listing has the following attached:

"Frederick Thomas Ricketts was born in Egham, near Chertsey, Surrey, and having worked as a smith, and seen service in the Volunteer Force as a Private with the 2nd Volunteer Battalion, Middlesex Regiment, then attested for service with he British Army at London on 9th January 1890, joining as a Sapper (No.24471) the Royal Engineers. Ricketts was appointed to Lance Corporal on 20th March1893, and then gained a ’skilled’ certificate in the handling of electrical lighting and firing mines on 2nd August 1894. He was promoted to 2nd Corporal on 1st June 1895 and transferred to the 1st Class Army Reserve on 8th January 1897. With the outbreak of the Boer War he was recalled for service on 9th October1899 and was shortly afterwards promoted to Corporal. Ricketts was then present with the 12th Field Company in South Africa from 8th November 1899 and saw service on operation in the Cape Colony and the Orange Free State, and inaction at Johannesburg, Diamond Hill and Belfast. He was posted home on 7th August 1902, and discharged on 30th August 1902, going back to live in Egham.
With the Great War however Ricketts then re-enlisted and served as a Sergeant later Warrant Officer 2nd Class and Company Sergeant Major (No.47987) with the Royal Engineers, and was then posted to ‘Z’ Special Company. "Z" Company was the flame projector company with a total strength of 350+ all ranks. It is most likely that Ricketts arrived out at the front with a Flame Projector Section in June 1916. ‘Z’ Special Company was commanded by Major W.H. Livens and operated the Livens Flame Thrower. Major-General Foulkes of the Royal Engineers was impressed by Livens, regarding him as a ‘go-getter’. Livens’ inventive zeal often bordered on the fanatical. In late 1915 Livens was put in charge of ‘Z’ Company, Royal Engineers, a special unit tasked with developing Britain’s answer to the German flamethrower recently deployed on the Western front.

Ricketts was a member of Lieutenant E.G. King’s No.4 Section, which from April1917 was part of the 51st Highland Division. He was serving as a Sergeant when the was awarded the Military Medal for bravery in the field in the London Gazette for 17th September 1917, which indicates an award won during the ThirdBattle of Ypres in July 1917, and a check of the War Diaries confirms that his award was earned on the 31st July 1917, one of four Military Medal’s gained by ‘Z’ Special Company ‘for devotion to duty and gallantry in connection with operations on XVIII Corps front culminating in discharge of oil projectiles 31/7/17’. The other awards of the Military Medal went to Sergeant (No.41724) J.Orrin; Corporal and Acting Sergeant (No.67602) T.J.E. Hayes, and Corporal and Acting Sergeant (No.60979) J.A.A. Skelly. All of the men were awarded the Military Medal by the General Officer Commanding Fifth Army in his despatch of6th August 1917, and confirmed on 21st August 1917 in the Company War Diary.

His award was gained for the operations around St Julien in the run up to and inclusive of 31st July 1917, the First Day of the Third Battle of Ypres, in the stage which is known as the Battle of Pilckem Ridge during the advance forward to the line of the Steenbeek, known as the Black Line. On 23rd July orders had been issued that the men of two sections of ‘Z’ Special Company would assist in the attack, there being two discharges of oil drums from Leven’s projectors to be launched, one in support of the 30th Division, the other, for which Ricketts was involved, in support of the 51st Division. In the days leading up to the 31st, it was intended that a maximum of 300 projectors were to be reset in No Man’s Land, and of those in the neighbourhood of The Willows trench - to whichNo.4v Section was overseeing, some 96 projectors were made ready, all work done by the night of the 27th to 28th July, to be then fired at Zero hour on 31st July, and to fire on enemy line known as Caledonian Support and the reserve line behind that, in order to assist the attacking infantry. On the day itself it was noted that ‘a very successful discharge of oil bombs at infantry Zero(3.50 am)’ occurred. This was however not without casualties, with a Sub Section commander, Lieutenant R.C. Johnson being killed in action another Sub Section commander, Lieutenant J.W. Bengal being wounded but remaining at duty, one other rank killed and another wounded."

s-l1600-28.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Ivor

Thanks for posting. He probably served with a Fortress Coy originally, his qualifications suggesting submarine  mining. A number of Z Coy men were regulars or men transferred from field companies with quite a number being general fitters, gas fitters and plumbers given that the Livens flammemwerfer required a substantial piece of assembly. In this case,  his previous service was the deciding factor as many men joining the SB had no military experience at all. I have the names of a number of pre-war RE's who reenlisted over the age of 40, just like F T Rickets, the oldest being a retired WO aged 62. All were originally accepted as drill instructors foe new army units.

Just an observation; the blurb Is being a bit hopeful about that particular device,  which, although impressive on firing, was not particularly good in practice. It took a lot of man hours to assemble it, which required a substantial amount of training. Once fired, it took about an hour to re-pressurise the system and the Germans of course would then know it’s location in any event. Only seven machines were manufactured and they spent most of the time in storage at Toutencourt. Just seven shots were fired in total, and the whole idea was given up in October 1917 after the last shot was fired at a strongly defended ruined mill at Dixmude.

The so-called “knapsack” flame throwers didn’t even get fired. Teams were assembled in readiness on 1 July 1916 but were never used and that idea was dropped.

Despite all this, it is a very good group and an interesting story.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Terry

The MM Card for 47987 F T Ricketts shows Z Special Co and he is in the LG 30287.

Brian

2 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

Terry

The MM Card for 47987 F T Ricketts shows Z Special Co and he is in the LG 30287.

Brian

Brian

Thanks, I did know he was in Z Coy per my post.

TR