Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Terry_Reeves

10 minutes ago, RobD said:

Craig,

Thanks for this info. I guess the war gratuity would have been paid to his family?

Rob

Yes, along with any other monies (unpaid wages etc) which the army held.

Craig

• 1 month later...
On 05/11/2018 at 13:51, RobD said:

Hello Terry. I have recently started researching my Great Great Uncle Corporal William George Roper 120538. So far I have discovered that he served in the 1st battalion Special Brigade, RE, joined  in September 1915 at Chatham having previously been in a territorial force. He was killed on 24th August 1916 and is buried at Sailly-au-Bois military cemetery. He is commemorated on the memorial at Tynemouth Municipal Grammar School - Gate (WMR 34370), North Shields and St Augustins Church Windows WW1 (WMR 34420) North Shields.

Also buried at Sailly-au-Bois are four other men of the 1st Battalion Special Brigade who were also killed on 24th August 1916. They are Pioneer Louis Green 178921, Corporal John Clare Hoadley 106153, Pioneer Benjamin Newton 128061 and Corporal James Paterson 106146. I wonder if they were all killed in the same incident/operation? I have looked at the war diaries but something doesn't add up (e.g. location of operations vs burial location, reported number of casualties). I am wondering if you know anymore about William Roper or any of these other men?

Many thanks,

Rob

Hello Rob, have you seen William George Roper's entry on the Northumbria World War One Commemoration Project's database? If not, put his surname in the search engine here http://northumbriaworldwarone.co.uk/interactive/

On 05/11/2018 at 13:51, RobD said:

Hello Terry. I have recently started researching my Great Great Uncle Corporal William George Roper 120538. So far I have discovered that he served in the 1st battalion Special Brigade, RE, joined  in September 1915 at Chatham having previously been in a territorial force. He was killed on 24th August 1916 and is buried at Sailly-au-Bois military cemetery. He is commemorated on the memorial at Tynemouth Municipal Grammar School - Gate (WMR 34370), North Shields and St Augustins Church Windows WW1 (WMR 34420) North Shields.

Also buried at Sailly-au-Bois are four other men of the 1st Battalion Special Brigade who were also killed on 24th August 1916. They are Pioneer Louis Green 178921, Corporal John Clare Hoadley 106153, Pioneer Benjamin Newton 128061 and Corporal James Paterson 106146. I wonder if they were all killed in the same incident/operation? I have looked at the war diaries but something doesn't add up (e.g. location of operations vs burial location, reported number of casualties). I am wondering if you know anymore about William Roper or any of these other men?

Many thanks,

Rob

Rob 

He was almost certainly with "A" Special Company, 1st Battalion. On the 20th they were carrying in cylinders to the front line in preparation for an operation.  As you suggest, there is good possibility the men you mentioned were killed in the same incident.  John Hoadley was killed by shellfire and it was was not unusual for the German artillery to bring fire to bear if movement was seen or any noise heard. 

He has a service record on Ancestry which shows his address as 37 Linskill Terrace North Shields.  He was discharged from  3/2 Field (Northumbrian)  Field Coy on 8 September 1915 to join the RE. His trade was given as gas engineer.  On the 18 November 1915 he was posted to 186 Company from "M" Depot Company at Chatham.

186 Company  formed the nucleus of 1st Battalion when the organisation was expanded in 1916.

Thanks for posting the information about him. If I can help further let me know.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

On 11/11/2018 at 22:58, Jostevens100 said:

My great grandad Lance Corporal W H Mitchell, was in k special company - we have some of his medals and some limited info but not much. 

Thank you. 

Jo 

Can you post his number please. It will be on the edge of his medals.

TR

On 05/11/2018 at 14:18, JonathanHacker said:

Hello Terry

I see that it's almost 10 years since I linked up with the forum regarding my grandfather, James Norman Lovett (Army no. 220233) - No. 2 Special Company, Royal Engineers.

DV next Saturday, 10th November, I hope to visit the area around Ypres & Passchendaele & be at the Menin Gate for Last Post.  This is an ambition I've long had.  I wonder if there's anything I should look out for on my brief visit to the area (it's an organised trip with #oakhall, so I won't be able to go where I wish) that may relate to the Special Company my grandfather served in.  Thanks.

Jonathan

PS Attached is a photo of my grandparents on their wedding day in 1922!

James Norman Lovett wedding.jpg

Jon

Sorry I missed your post,, I was abroad when you posted it. Hope you had a good trip and thanks for posting the photograph.

He does have as service record, if you haven't  seen it let me know and I will post the details.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I am researching a WW1 project finding out about gallantry medal holders who survived WW1. One individual who has come to my attention is Charles Wilkinson who was awarded the MC in 1917. He was transferred from the Cheshire Regiment to Royal Engineers Special Brigade. I was wondering if anyone had come across him or could tell me more about what he may have done? A local paper sites that he was 'severely gassed' at Loos in April 1918. He was from Runcorn so I think he must have had a connection to the chemical industry here and perhaps that is why he was transferred to the Special Brigade. Any help would be most welcome. Many thanks, Allison.

Allison

Charles Wilkinson was a works chemist. He served in the ranks of 10 Cheshires with the number 14969 before transferring to the Special Brigade with the number 113260 on 25. 8.15 and landed in France on 7.9.15. He was almost certainly present first the first British gas attack at Loos serving with either 186,198,188 or 189 companies, possibly one of the latter two. He held the rank of Warrant Officer Class 2 before he was commissioned as a  Temp  2Lt RE on 6.6.17  He was promoted to Temp  Lt RE on 6.12.18. He served with "L" Special Company after being commissioned.

His name appears in "L" Company's  war diary numerous times in 1917 and 1918 these can be purchased for can be purchased for £3-50 each from the National Archives:

http://tinyurl.com/y5hjopbs

http://tinyurl.com/y3mw95xq

He was wounded on 8  April 1918 and rejoined his company  on the 27 April 1918. His MC appears in a supplement to the London Gazette on 3 June 1916. This was a King's Birthday list and in the absence of a citation it was for good work over a period of time rather than an act of gallantry.  

http://tinyurl.com/y63sbt7d

He was demobilised on 9 May 1919.

He was in charge of no 52 Section releasing gas from cylinders or using the Livens Projector a form of mortar which was electrically fired, the bombs containing various gases, oil or high explosive.

He has a personal record at The National Archives,  file number WO339/117636. This is not available on line and will require a personal visit.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

• 4 months later...
12 hours ago, Andy Heaton said:

I've just been looking at the Shetland Times Online bookshop and I spotted a book that looks very interesting :

https://shop.shetlandtimes.co.uk/collections/general/products/the-gas-war-the-abernethy-brothers-and-the-special-brigade-in-world-war-one

I'll certainly be ordering a copy.

Andy

Thanks for that, I have just ordered one. I have William in my database.  146476 Pioneer, 2nd Bn  SB.  1893-1916. Bn Clousta, Shetland. Resided Edinburgh. Educated  The Anderson Institute, Lerwick. Science student Edinburgh University.  Enlisted London. DoW  30.6.16.  Buried Heilly Station Cemetery, Mericourt - L- Abbe. Commemorated on Edinburgh University Roll of Honour and Aberdeen Roll of Honour. 

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there,

My name is Andre Chissel and I have recently bought the medal group belonging to Martin Sidney Fox who was initially in No. 2 Section 186th Company. You are probably aware that he wrote two books 'Corporals All' and 'Special Brigade RE' I have a photo of Martin as a sergeant but was hoping that there might be a photo of No. 2 Section with him in it out there somewhere.

A fascinating thread !

Andre 

Andre

I have of copy of Corporal’s All but there are no photos.

There are some section photographs in With The Special  Brigade  but only the section officers are named, however you might be  able pick him out. The Imperial War Museum Library has a copy.  

I do have some research on him outside of Corporals All if it is of any help.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Terry

do you have 113136 Cpl Sigmund Gestetner in your data base?  I have some information about him, but do not want to tell you facts that you already know.

Richard

inkerman

Many thanks, any information would be much appreciated. At a guess he was from the family that invented the repro machine.

TR

Hi Terry,

Agreed, Corporals All no photos - they exist in 'Special Brigade RE' and there is one very poor quality photo of him as an officer in there.

I would welcome a copy of the research you have on Martin Fox thank you - there was some that came from his obituary when I bought the medal group but that was it.

Andre

Andre

It might be that you have some of this information.

Martin  Sidney Fox 1888-1966.  Born 19.7.1888, Lincoln. Educated London University BSc.  1911 Employed as teacher  with Liverpool Education Committee. Lodgings at 98 Hale Rd, Walton on the Hill, Liverpool. Attested Chatham 9.8.15. Disembarked France 23.8.15.  186 Coy 26.8.15. C Coy as Cpl 1916.  T 2nd Lt RE 8.9.17.  to H Coy. C Coy 23.9.18.  Lt RE 8.3.19 . Demobilzed 11.4.19. Relinquished commission 12.8.1921.   Married 1918,  Blanche Griffiths - Lincoln. 1939 Register - residing 101 Otley Old Rd, Leeds. Schoolmaster. Also part of the ARP organisation under the Leeds Authority.

Died 16 September 1966 at the Princes Alice Hospital, Eastbourne after a heart attack whilst gardening at his home in 6 Willingdon Park Drive, Eastbourne. His wife Blanche was long-lived dying in 1993 age 93 at the Eastbourne address. 

Thanks for the pictures , I am familiar with most of them. Just as an aside, I did know the grandson of SB's commander Tom Foulkes. He followed the same path as his grandfather as as sapper officer, retiring as a Brigadier. He was the split image of him and also like Foulkes senior a keen photographer.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Thank you Terry,

Yes, some I have but much I do not and I appreciate your kindness in posting it. I shall post some more photos when in the next day or so. I actually have signed copy of Foulkes' book (and it is the source of the photos) - a bit battered now but still a lovely find.

Andre

Andre

Thanks. The chalk pit where revolver training took place is still there. It is now a French army range located near Wizernes the start of the hill to Helfaut (D198) , the SB Depot in France. It can be found on Google maps at 50.704587  2.246977

The railway wagons were responsible for "beam attacks" which are mentioned in Gas!

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

• 4 weeks later...

I just discovered my Grand father..Anthony McGuire...Royal Engineers...Reg # 130154....was wounded in the foot and sent back to a hospital in the UK for treatment and then discharged from the Engineers and sent back to Canada. Would you know which hospital he might have been sent to and would I be able to check their records etc. This would have been in late 1916...

Thanks Leo McGuire

Leo

Terry will be along shortly no doubt. I do not have him on my 1916/17 RE Index but FMP has a record for 130154 with a question mark against the name. This means that the details are obscure. The record is a very faint casuaslty list No H A 5981 dated January 1917. 130154 is the pemultimate name. It is actually 130434 (Pnr Noble A G) Special Brigade.

Terry

There are a number of other SB men on this list, which was too faint for me to post. It can be found in the Service Record of 11588 William Ford. South Staffordshire Regt. 130434 also has a hit on FMP for MH/106. It is MH 106/1444 dated May 1916 and there are a number of SB men in that record too.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547

Terry

I was trying to find another name on a Mesopotamia list, Green, L which led me to two records on FMP (neither of which was who I was looking for).

178921 Pnr L Green, 1 Bn SB died 24/08/1916 (There are two records for him in the British Jewry Book of Honour, one of which is a photograph) and 179455 L/Cpl H Green. The book can be searched and contains other SB men.

Brian