Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Terry_Reeves

On 22/12/2002 at 15:21, Terry_Reeves said:

Over the past few years I have been compiling a roll of men who served in the RE Special Brigade and Special Companies. This formation was responsible for Britains chemical warfare effort.

I am now able to identify some 2-3000 of these men but would like to hear from any forum member who has information about any individual whom they believe served in the Brigade.

In particular, I would be interested in number and rank, any snippets of personal information, and in the case of those men who were killed, the location of any town or village war memorial that they may have been commemorated on.

If I can help anybody with identifying men whom they believe were in the Specials I will be pleased to do so.

Terry Reeves

Hello have you got (Corporal) Walter Reeve at all from the Star & Garter home, I'm just compiling a book ''of sorts'' and I spoke to him most likely in 1993. I dont have a photo of him, that would be nice to get hold of. 

4 hours ago, toofatfortakeoff said:

Hello have you got (Corporal) Walter Reeve at all from the Star & Garter home, I'm just compiling a book ''of sorts'' and I spoke to him most likely in 1993. I dont have a photo of him, that would be nice to get hold of. 

He was 220323 Pioneer Walter Reeves. Resided The Post Office Wylam -on-Tyne. Attested 6.6.16. Army  Reserve 7.6.16 - 4.7.17.  Home, mobilised 5.2.17-29.3.17. A pharmacists apprentice. Disembarked , France 30.3.17 and joined "L" Special Company RE.  Wounded 25.6.18. 

After that I  have little information. There is one man of the same name in the 1939 Regeister - residing 66 Croom Hill , Kensington a Pharmacist and Opthalmic Optician, but there is no evidence to show that it is him. I have no photograph I'm afraid.

Can you provide any more information about hime please?

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Yes thats him pharmacist-he was trained to do that and 17 when he enlisted,  he lived in Star & Garter Home at Richmond.  Im sure they keep a record of persons in the home...I'll come back to you later with more info,my notes were a bit crap but its mainly technical stuff. As mentioned Im writing a compendium of notes into a possible book, he still had a good Geordie accent, big man and what was left of black hair. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/12/2002 at 15:21, Terry_Reeves said:

Over the past few years I have been compiling a roll of men who served in the RE Special Brigade and Special Companies. This formation was responsible for Britains chemical warfare effort.

I am now able to identify some 2-3000 of these men but would like to hear from any forum member who has information about any individual whom they believe served in the Brigade.

In particular, I would be interested in number and rank, any snippets of personal information, and in the case of those men who were killed, the location of any town or village war memorial that they may have been commemorated on.

If I can help anybody with identifying men whom they believe were in the Specials I will be pleased to do so.

Terry Reeves

Hi 

I am looking for information on my great uncle, 2nd Lt George William Moore. He was killed 28th March 1918 while serving with the 288th Royal Garrison Artillery. He had only transferred to them on the 7th February 1918 and we believe he might have been involved in the 2nd Specials Royal Engineers. It would make sense as he was a Chemist but I cannot find any information to verify this. if anyone can help I would be most grateful. 

3 hours ago, Jules M said:

Hi 

I am looking for information on my great uncle, 2nd Lt George William Moore. He was killed 28th March 1918 while serving with the 288th Royal Garrison Artillery. He had only transferred to them on the 7th February 1918 and we believe he might have been involved in the 2nd Specials Royal Engineers. It would make sense as he was a Chemist but I cannot find any information to verify this. if anyone can help I would be most grateful. 

Jules

He originally  enlisted into the 16th London Regiment with the number 1557.  He transferred to The RE Special Brigade with the number 91649, probably in early 1916,  and was posted to G Special Company, 2nd Battalion , Special Brigade. 

He is mentioned in G Coy war diary on 1 May 1917 as being transferred to Cadet School. He has a file at TNA in WO339/110356 which might fill in some gaps.

TR

11 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Jules

He originally  enlisted into the 16th London Regiment with the number 1557.  He transferred to The RE Special Brigade with the number 91649, probably in early 1916,  and was posted to G Special Company, 2nd Battalion , Special Brigade. 

He is mentioned in G Coy war diary on 1 May 1917 as being transferred to Cadet School. He has a file at TNA in WO339/110356 which might fill in some gaps.

TR

Many thanks. I will look into the file.

10 minutes ago, Jules M said:

Many thanks. I will look into the file.

Jules, do you have a date of birth for him please and also where he was educated? Thanks.

TR

15 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

on 1 May 1917 as being transferred to Cadet School. He has a file at TNA in WO339/110356 which might fill in some gaps.

LondonGazette 17/12/17 13173  wef 9/12/17 to be 2ndLt RGA (SR) from Officer Cadet Unit

His 1914 Medal Roll entry says he 're-enlisted' to Royal Engineers 2/9/1915 which fits with that 91649 number issue

Charlie

Just now, Terry_Reeves said:

Jules, do you have a date of birth for him please and also where he was educated? Thanks.

TR

His date of birth I don't know but was 1892. 

Family info: Son of Mr. F. H. Moore, of Messina Lodge, 8, Mayow Rd., Forest Hill, London. There was an older brother, Reginald who disappears from the records after the 1911 census. A sisters, Connie and Lenona and my grandfather Harry.

He was educated at Oundle School, who missed him off their war dead and it would appear Haberdashers too, although I only discovered that today.

Hope this helps

Jules

52 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

LondonGazette 17/12/17 13173  wef 9/12/17 to be 2ndLt RGA (SR) from Officer Cadet Unit

His 1914 Medal Roll entry says he 're-enlisted' to Royal Engineers 2/9/1915 which fits with that 91649 number issue

Charlie

Thanks Charlie.

TR

53 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Charlie

Thank you.

On 12/05/2021 at 00:21, Terry_Reeves said:

Thanks Jules. Much appreciated.

TR

This is the 1911 census. We think Reginald may have joined up too but he does not appear on any lists I have been able to find or war dead. There was a mention of a family member dying in training but again I am not sure where to look to find out more.

2005937914_1911Moorefamilycensus.jpg.95726dd892045e1224bb3a6ab3ae928a.jpg

3 hours ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Thanks Jules. Much appreciated.

TR

Think he was not at Haberdashers school but a member of the company of Haberdashers instead. Sorry for any confusion. This is all newish to me

41 minutes ago, Jules M said:

Think he was not at Haberdashers school but a member of the company of Haberdashers instead. Sorry for any confusion. This is all newish to me

No worries Jules. I have had a quick look for Reginald but have had no luck. What is the name of the family member who may have died?

TR

10 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

No worries Jules. I have had a quick look for Reginald but have had no luck. What is the name of the family member who may have died?

TR

It is reginald who is the one that disappeared from records. 

I have spoken to my Dad who thinks he has copies of the national archives stuff but it doesn't tell us much more. The war diary for the 288th stops a few days before George was killed. He also thinks Reginald died of TB pre 1914 but was training for the army.

Do you know what George might have been involved with in the RE? My limited research suggests weapon development and possibly gas but am not sure

Jules, the Special Brigade were Britain’s chemical warfare troops. They were founded to counter the German’s first use of gas in April 1915. The first troops were recruited in June/July 1915 , after letters were sent out to colleges and universities asking for men with experience in chemistry to enlist. There were four companies initially - 187 to 189. In February 1916 they were expanded into a brigade sized organisation eventually consisting of 5 Battalions.They released gas from cylinders, and operated Livens Projector No 5 Battalion operated the 4 inch Stokes mortars and Z Coy, initially operated flame projectors which were eventually abandoned. George was with a cylinder battalion which also operated  the Livens projectors from 1917 onwards.

TR

1916 ther

Hi Jules,

16 hours ago, Jules M said:

The war diary for the 288th stops a few days before George was killed

On 1.2.1918  288 Siege Battery moved to become part of 19 Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery. Their war diary for March 1918 is available as a free download from here. George is mentioned.

Regards

Chris

4 hours ago, clk said:

Hi Jules,

On 1.2.1918  288 Siege Battery moved to become part of 19 Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery. Their war diary for March 1918 is available as a free download from here. George is mentioned.

Regards

Chris

Many thanks. This is great to know.

Terry. 

This is from the 4th Division Appendices 20/4/1918

1.45 p.m. 4th Div Order No 113 was issued for the 11th Bde to clear the southern portion of the Pacaut Wood the following morning and to establish themselves on the line of the La Pannerie-Riez Road. The attack to be accompanied by an intenst 18-pdr creeping barrage, with a heavy barrage on the north portion and selected localities. A projection of gas and burning oil was arranged for to be carried out by "G" Special Coy RE, the former only in the event of the wind being favourable for the discharge. Zero hour 5.15 a.m. The RE were to make bridges over the Canal at 36a.W.3.b.23.7. (50.577918, 2.616587 ) 36a.W.3.a.9.9. (50.581297, 2.614330 ) and 36a.Q.33.c.4.2. ( 50.582481, 2.611057 )

Mike

image.png.7ff75b2c782b64794a56721e109f90f4.png

1 hour ago, Skipman said:

Terry. 

This is from the 4th Division Appendices 20/4/1918

1.45 p.m. 4th Div Order No 113 was issued for the 11th Bde to clear the southern portion of the Pacaut Wood the following morning and to establish themselves on the line of the La Pannerie-Riez Road. The attack to be accompanied by an intenst 18-pdr creeping barrage, with a heavy barrage on the north portion and selected localities. A projection of gas and burning oil was arranged for to be carried out by "G" Special Coy RE, the former only in the event of the wind being favourable for the discharge. Zero hour 5.15 a.m. The RE were to make bridges over the Canal at 36a.W.3.b.23.7. (50.577918, 2.616587 ) 36a.W.3.a.9.9. (50.581297, 2.614330 ) and 36a.Q.33.c.4.2. ( 50.582481, 2.611057 )

Mike

image.png.7ff75b2c782b64794a56721e109f90f4.png

Thanks Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

Terry,

I came across the attached image whilst searching FMP for something else. It appears to be a short list of movements and appointments of “M” Special Coy. R.E. Dated 29/9/17 that you might not have seen.

Dave.                                

Image courtesy of FindMyPast

080AB25C-070F-4CF1-A80E-954AE3F0AFCE.jpeg.f89ffc6dce8a851547f2953d92d1c6a2.jpeg

38 minutes ago, dink999 said:

Terry,

I came across the attached image whilst searching FMP for something else. It appears to be a short list of movements and appointments of “M” Special Coy. R.E. Dated 29/9/17 that you might not have seen.

Dave.                                Image courtesy of FindMyPast

080AB25C-070F-4CF1-A80E-954AE3F0AFCE.jpeg

Dave, many thanks.

TR

Hi Terry,

The image below is from Aberdeen University. William was my Grandfather. He was promoted to Second Lieutenant 18/12/1917 . He did survive the Great War.

Kind regards Steve

20190307_173030.jpg.d9dd07e21a85b2cca20b687fc58e7350.jpg

Steve

Many thanks  for the information. I do have him in my database  as follows:

33 Leven St, Pollockshields, Glasgow. 

Inspector of Factories. MA

Ranks HLI 1915

No 5 OCB 9.11.17

T 2Lt RE  18.12.17

Depot 11.3.18.

E Special Coy 30.3.18

Hosp sick, 16.18.18