Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Terry_Reeves

• 1 month later...

I hope you are interested to hear about my grandfather Albert Edward Robinson 'Robbie' born 20.09.1898 died 5.3.1995 . He was a Pioneer in the Royal Engineers Regiment 321905. I have his British War Medal & Victory Medal inscribed 321905 PNR A E Robinson RE and a number of photos. I have found Medal Roll Index Card with these details and Roll RE/101B144 Page 32358. From his memoirs - He was involved with the manufacture of TNT in Edinburgh which was a reserved occupation (I have lots more detail on this). He was called up in Aug 1917 and joined Army as a motor cyclist in the RE Signals. A month later he was transferred to the Special Brigade R.E at Saltash and by October was in France where, in Z Company he found himself at Loos dealing with gas warfare. I have a number of stories relating to his time there. He was wounded following a big offensive on 4th July 1918. He had no clear recollection but thought he was carried by a big Australian to field dressing station, then remembers being in a tent, then going on a stretcher to train or hospital ship. He finally ended up in hospital in Sunderland staying there for several months. He was kept there at the end because he was useful as telephone operatior. Was on way to Plymouth to rejoin his unit in November 1918 but armistice declared while he was in Crewe on train journey.

I have not been able to find any official records apart from the Medal Roll Index.

Amanda

Amanda

Thanks very much for your post, it is very interesting Z Company has a war diary at the National Archives which gives the day to day doings of the unit. The reference is WO95/486. Unfortunately it has not been digitised so it will mean a trip to Kew to see it.

TR

Terry

Thank you for your response - I will try and get to Kew to see the War Diary - thank you for the reference., Are you interested in knowing more about my grandfather's chemistry background? You may also be interested in the following :

My grandfather recalled two incidents in France:

One of his friends, Laundy, was painting a watercolour of Amiens cathedral, sitting on the river bank. He was seen doing it and taken to Provost Marshall by military police, who regarded it as unmilitary activity. PM was sympathetic - talked to him about painting and dismissed him. Robbie was given the picture after the war and I still have it!

On another ocassion Robbie was given the job of recovering a motor cycle - a Douglas from somewhere from a depot where one of the officers had left it after borrowing it for a night expedition. He was driven in a truck with a bottle of whiskey to give in return for the motor cycle, which he then drove back. It broke down in Amiens, just at the time the daily shelling was expected.

Do you know whether I might be able to find more information reference my grandfather being wounded and his stay in hospital in Sunderland?

I will try and post a photo of Robbie if you are interested. I really feel very passionate about sharing my grandfather's story and have just registered with Lives of the First World War - unfortunately the only Albert Edward Robinson they have has the right regiment no ie 321905 but he is listed as a gunner and not a pioneer - I have sent them an email to ask how I should proceed.

Many thanks

Amanda

Amanda

Robbie's story sounds very interesting indeed. Please do post a photograph of him, indeed why not post some more of his memoirs, I am sure that they will be of interest, not just to me, but to the wider forum membership.

With regard to 4th July 1918, Z Company war diary will cover the period. It is highly unlikely though that you will find the exact circumstances of his wounding, but you will at least get the background. His stay in Sunderland is a bit more problematic I'm afraid, however it may be possible to track down what hospital he was in. Forum member Sue Light may be able to help.

TR

Thank You Terry - I think I have managed to attach 3 photos of Robbie - I dont know which will be of the most interest to you - you may be able to tell me a little about them?. Is this the right place to post a bit more of Robbie's story - I have about 6 pages from about 1900 - 1950's (memoirs compiled by my Uncle and a Retirement Article). Robbie went on to become a Chemist at Naval Ordnance Inspection Laboratory at Holton Heath, Dorset ?

Amanda

post-116966-0-69254800-1414937356_thumb.post-116966-0-73069000-1414937399_thumb.post-116966-0-72838600-1414937569_thumb.

Amanda

Thank you. The first and possibly the second pictures are with his stay with the RE Signals.

Post all that you have Amanda, it will good to see a complete story.

TR

Thanks Terry

I am just tidying up my grandfather's story and then will post it here. I have also started adding details on Lives of the First World War

This is the painting of Amiens Cathredal which was given to my grandfather after the war.

post-116966-0-78854300-1415220716_thumb.

Amanda

Hi Terry,

I saw this on E Bay today interesting unit in 1914 27th Airline section RE do you know of them ? nevertheless, the soldier is interesting.

Kind regards

Hiram

On offer is a group of medals awarded to Charles Riden of the Royal Engineers. The group is the Queens South Africa Medal (named 23093 Sapr C.R.F.RIDEN R.E) 1915 Star, British War medal, Victory Medal and Meritorious Service Medal (named 72649 Sjt C.R.F.RIDEN R.E).
Please note, the 1915 Star has his name spelt RYDER, and the BWM & VM are named 72649 Sjt C.R.F.RIDER R.E (correctly impressed). the mis-spelling of his surname is bourne out with the medal index cards.
Charles Riden was born in Aldershot and enlisted in the Army in 1888 aged 14, and saw service in the Boer War (Telegraph Battalion of the R.E), and he was discharged in 1901, and he was living in Totterdown, Bristol.

He re-enlisted in 1914 aged 40 and was posted to the 27th Airline section of the RE, and I believe served with them throughout the war, being presented with his MSM in Bristol in 1921 (unclear from the papers who presented it). He died in 1937 aged 62 (Bristol).

Both his service papers for his pre 1901 service and for WW1 are available online (Findmypast). I can provide the buyer copies by email if required.

postage to UK only

$_12.JPG

Terry

I don't know if an RFA soldier in the Experimental Battery at Porton counts towards your research but if you are interested I have just posted this in another part of this forum -

"My wife's grandfather, Sgt Frank O'Hanlon, was one of these men awarded the medal of the OBE. He was in the Experimental Battery of the RFA at Porton. I have a letter dated 19/01/21 inviting him to attend The Lord Lieutenant of London, the Most Hon. Marquess of Crewe K. G. at County Hall, London on 21st January to receive the medal. Unfortunately he died on the 26th and I do not know if he ever made it to the ceremony. The cause of death was "congestion of the lungs". The family story is that he was gassed in the war and never recovered - eventually dying of its effects, although his widow apparently had quite a battle to obtain a widow's army pension.

The interesting bit is that the family did not seem to appreciate the significance of his time at Porton - was he gassed there or had it already occurred in France and he went to Porton afterwards?. I am trying (rather unsuccessfully) to find out. Does anyone know the story of any others in this group at Porton 1916-18"

i do have a bit more info if you are interested but his service record is (of course) missing.

Rob

Rob

Yes, I would be very interested. I have a photograph somewhere of the RFA section manning a gun at the establishment and also a staff list, although it is mainly officers. PM you e mail aDdress and I'll send you a copy of the photograph.

Many thanks for your post.

TR

Hi Terry,

I saw this on E Bay today interesting unit in 1914 27th Airline section RE do you know of them ? nevertheless, the soldier is interesting.

Kind regards

Hiram

On offer is a group of medals awarded to Charles Riden of the Royal Engineers. The group is the Queens South Africa Medal (named 23093 Sapr C.R.F.RIDEN R.E) 1915 Star, British War medal, Victory Medal and Meritorious Service Medal (named 72649 Sjt C.R.F.RIDEN R.E).

Please note, the 1915 Star has his name spelt RYDER, and the BWM & VM are named 72649 Sjt C.R.F.RIDER R.E (correctly impressed). the mis-spelling of his surname is bourne out with the medal index cards.

Charles Riden was born in Aldershot and enlisted in the Army in 1888 aged 14, and saw service in the Boer War (Telegraph Battalion of the R.E), and he was discharged in 1901, and he was living in Totterdown, Bristol.

He re-enlisted in 1914 aged 40 and was posted to the 27th Airline section of the RE, and I believe served with them throughout the war, being presented with his MSM in Bristol in 1921 (unclear from the papers who presented it). He died in 1937 aged 62 (Bristol).

Both his service papers for his pre 1901 service and for WW1 are available online (Findmypast). I can provide the buyer copies by email if required.

postage to UK only

$_12.JPG

Hiram

I will contact you off forum.

TR

Guest Morris Oxford

I have found this thread fascinating. Even without reading every post (yet) I have learnt a great deal about my grandfather's role in WW1. All I knew previously, anecdotally from my late father who was a young boy when his father died, was that William Wilson was a pharmacist who had been poisoned by Chlorine and who was never really well after coming out the army, and died in the early 1930s, aged mid-40s.

Last night, having found William Wilson's unworn medals in their box following a house move, I did some research online.

William 120654 from Edinburgh enlisted in London on 22/9/15 in 4th Battalion, Special Brigade RE ; by 4 Oct he was in France. His records suggest he was hospitalised on 16/5/16, sent back to London and he was discharged on 20/6 under para 392 (xvi) KR. I understand what that means, but I don't know the nature of his injuries. I suspect from what my father told me that his nerves were shot, but don't think that alone would have seen him discharged.

Can anyone fill in any blanks? My dad never had photos of his father; I would be thrilled if his name had cropped up in anyone else's research.

Jim

Morris Oxford

Thanks for your post. You will get some idea from 4th Bn war diary which is at the National Archives in WO95/122. This will have entries for N, O, P and Q companies and will give you an idea what was happening through 1916. Unfortunately his record does not show what company he was with, but that is not unusual. He was discharged because he was "no longer physically fit for war service" , which might well be due to a severe gassing, but that is by no means certain and there is no way of corroborating it. It might be that you can find some evidence in local newspapers or company magazines if he worked for one post-war.

TR

Guest Morris Oxford

Morris Oxford

Thanks for your post. You will get some idea from 4th Bn war diary which is at the National Archives in WO95/122. This will have entries for N, O, P and Q companies and will give you an idea what was happening through 1916. Unfortunately his record does not show what company he was with, but that is not unusual. He was discharged because he was "no longer physically fit for war service" , which might well be due to a severe gassing, but that is by no means certain and there is no way of corroborating it. It might be that you can find some evidence in local newspapers or company magazines if he worked for one post-war.

TR

Thanks for your reply and the pointer to the National Archive. I'll keep looking.

Best wishes,

Jim

My grandfather, Joseph Hunter, enlisted In Royal Sussex (reg no 3744) and was eventually assigned to G Special Coy RE. He was later renumbered 129487 Pioneer RE in G Special Coy presumably on the formation of the Special Brigade. He was Killed on 22 May 1918 and is buried in Lapugnoy Military Cemetary near Bethune.

Unfortunately his military records appear to be among those subsequently destroyed.

I should be glad of any information such as the function of G Special Company (I know it was chemical warfare but was it shell or cylinder gas?) What military battles they were involved in especially the one at the time of his death.

Beety

It was a cylinder company, but also used the Liven's Projector. G company has a war diary which can be seen at the National Archives in WO 95/242 which will give you the day to day doings of the company. It will tell you what was happening when Joseph Hunter was killed, although it may not mention him by name.

You are right in thinking that he was transferred in 1916 when the SB was formed.

TR

Guest Peter Farmer

I am trying to find any info regarding my father - Reginald James Farmer - 209619 - E section - G company-

Special Brigade RE

He survived the war and died 1973 - age 75. Wouldn't talk about the war - although had bad cough all his life, thought to be from gassing'

If anyone can help please do so

Peter Farmer - peter.farmer8@btinternet.com

Hi Terry,

My Great Uncle, John (Jack) Barfield was a Pioneer in "A" Special Company, Royal Engineers. He died of pneumonia on 7th May 1918 and is buried in Lapugnoy Military Cemetery near Bethune in France.

The information I have been able to glean is as follows:

Name: John Barfield

Unit: A Spec. Coy., R.E.
Birth Place: Sheffield
Death Date: 7 May 1918
Death Location: France & Flanders
Enlistment Location: Sheffield
Regiment: Corps of Royal Engineers
Number: 156646
Type of Casualty: Died
Theatre of War: Western European Theatre
Comments: Formerly 96413, R.F.A.

I've attached a photo in case of interest.

Your forum thread is very interesting and I have learnt a lot from it which has helped me to understand the role that Jack played.

Many thanks, Paul.

post-117803-0-77990000-1415795091_thumb.

I am trying to find any info regarding my father - Reginald James Farmer - 209619 - E section - G company-

Special Brigade RE

He survived the war and died 1973 - age 75. Wouldn't talk about the war - although had bad cough all his life, thought to be from gassing'

If anyone can help please do so

Peter Farmer - peter.farmer8@btinternet.com

Peter

May thanks for the photo, I will contact you off-forum

TR

Hi Terry,

My Great Uncle, John (Jack) Barfield was a Pioneer in "A" Special Company, Royal Engineers. He died of pneumonia on 7th May 1918 and is buried in Lapugnoy Military Cemetery near Bethune in France.

Paul

Thanks for that. John Barfield was one of around 1000 gunners transferred to the Special Brigade in early 1916. "A" Company, part of 1st Bn, has a war diary which can been seen at the National Archives in WO95/241. and will give you the day to day activities of the company.

Many thanks for the photograph.

TR

Hi Terry,

My Great Uncle, John (Jack) Barfield was a Pioneer in "A" Special Company, Royal Engineers. He died of pneumonia on 7th May 1918 and is buried in Lapugnoy Military Cemetery near Bethune.

I've attached a photo in case of interest.

Many thanks, Paul.

In case it might be of interest to you...... The doorway framing your great-uncle Jack was quite a popular location for portrait photos like this. It's a side door to one of the cathedrals on the western front - I *think* it's Arras.

Hi All,

I've just found yet another interesting photo at home - I'm guessing that it is a group of POWs ? This this photo relates to my Grandfather's time in the Special Brigade, I can only guess.

In posting 184, I showed a photo of an epaulette that my Grandfather acquired from somewhere - might it have been from a soldier in this group ?

Any thoughts/opinions, would be much appreciated.

post-38547-0-74319600-1415981052_thumb.j

Hi Terry,

I am researching on behalf of a friend one John William Waddy MM, formerly L/Cpl 167481, Later 2nd Lt. Waddy, who served with 'O' Company, 4th Battalion (?) and 'N' Company. He was a teacher in Hull with a BSc in Chemistry and Mixed Maths. Do you have anything in your research regarding his MM? I have copies of his Officer's records from Kew if there is any information you are short of.

Cheers,

Neil

Neil

Nothing regarding his award, but that is not unusual for MMs. Try his local newspaper and if you know what school he was teaching at, it might be worth checking if they had a magazine that might give some details.

Thanks for the offer of information, but I do have his details.

TR