Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC: researching Wilfred Lawton

Guest Andrew Lawton

I understand that Sir Thomas Yarr was a first cousin of my great grandfather, William John Yarr of Ireland and Millom, Cumberland. So I would be interested in information about Sir Thomas too, and how he is your great uncle.

My email address is billeen@paradise.net.nz

Eleen nee Yarr

Having just seen this post, PM will be sent.

Regards,

Arthur

Bjay & Peter primarily came across these Shell Shock RAMC casualties from Scotsman August 1916 , all from the Aberdeenshire area any ideas what unit?

Hello John

To add to Pete's post, the 1st Highland and the 2nd Highland Field Ambulances were both located in Aberdeen as opposed to the 3rd Highland Fld Amb, which was located in Dundee. However, the shell shock casualties could have served in the 1st/1st or 2nd/1st Highland Fld Amb, or the 1st/2nd or 2/2nd Highland Fld Amb as they were all individual Units. The second line Units formed after 1914.

Would you mind sending me the part of the paper that states they were all shell shock casulaties so that I can list them as shell shock casualties on my database?

Barbara

Hi Pete,

In your list of Doctor's would you by any chance have a Dr. Blonstein? He served on the Western Front. My Grandfather was his batman.

Thanks

Gerry

Julian

This is a major problem we encounter daily in the AMS Museum. I have never found a complete list of which RAMC units and teeth arm units RAMC personnel were allocated to. The same goes for Regimental Medical Officers. I have started a database of doctors and the units they were allocated to but it will be a long job.

Pete Starling

Can anyone pass on any more information of these two local doctors who served with the RAMC throughout the war, I would be obliged.

post-12171-1169596800.jpg

I am researching a War Memorial and have discovered that three of the casualties were service numbers 125, 130 and 132 (with a fourth, number 124, on a second Memorial), all of 54th (1st/1st East Anglian) Casualty Clearing Station. All were killed on 13 August 1915 and are commemorated on the Helles Memorial. Does anyone have any details of the incident in which they lost their lives?

Grant

BJay / Peter (or anyone) do you have any information on this chap at all?

Medal card of Arundel, Robert James

Corps Regiment No Rank

Mercantile Marine Reserve Captain

Royal Army Medical Corps Captain

He resided at Barondale House, Newbattle

Further to earlier posts, I've now got a photo of Maj-Gen Sir Thomas Yarr, from the National Portrait Gallery. I'm hoping some of the experts here will be able to explain the significance of various bits of medal ribbon, braid, chevrons and so forth which can be seen on his uniform.

It was taken in 1919, when he was Inspector Medical Services.

post-17302-1169813905.jpg

Regards,

Arthur

BJay / Peter (or anyone) do you have any information on this chap at all?

Medal card of Arundel, Robert James

Corps Regiment No Rank

Mercantile Marine Reserve Captain

Royal Army Medical Corps Captain

He resided at Barondale House, Newbattle

Hello John

The only information I have found at the moment is from the 1918 Army List, which states - RAMC, Temp Capt, 24 April 17.

Barbara

I'm hoping some of the experts here will be able to explain the significance of various bits of medal ribbon, braid, chevrons and so forth which can be seen on his uniform.

Arthur

Arthur, I am definately not an expert but I am trying to learn about the RAMC uniforms.

I did learn recently that the chevrons worn on the lower sleeve represent the years in active service, one chevron for every year served. The emblems on the shoulder straps represents the officer's rank, the photograph only shows part of the emblem but it does correspond with him being a Major-General. As far as I can see his cap badge looks like the cap badge representing S.A. General Officers, S.A. meaning South Africa.

It might be an idea to post the photograph in the Uniforms, arms, insignia, equipment, medals section as not everyone who knows about these things will look at this thread.

Good luck, I'll be watching.

Barbara

Barbara,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. The only other RAMC man I have is 2076 Ernest E. Riddell, died 3 March 1917, buried in Gezaincourt Communal Cemetery Extension. Do you have any further information, please?

Grant

It might be an idea to post the photograph in the Uniforms, arms, insignia, equipment, medals section as not everyone who knows about these things will look at this thread.

Barbara

Good point, Barbara, thank you. I've put a post over there.

Regards,

Arthur

Hi it's been ssome time since I was on these boards, but I thing this thread is fascinating.

I'm interested in finding out anything about my GF; PTE H. Thompson no. 1752 RAMC 101st feild ambulance.

and I have a mystery photo of one of his pals; J.Howard Bicknell what can anyone tell me about them or their movements?

post-8146-1170016466.jpg

Re J Howard Bicknell here is the link to his MIC

Medal card of Bicknell, John Howard

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Army Medical Corps 534444 Acting Corporal

Not sure but looks like a late war number

Barbara,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. The only other RAMC man I have is 2076 Ernest E. Riddell, died 3 March 1917, buried in Gezaincourt Communal Cemetery Extension. Do you have any further information, please?

Grant

Hello Grant

I do not appear to have Ernest E Riddell listed. Is he commemmorated with the other men as serving in the 54th CCS or is he listed separately? Do all the casualties on the memorial you're researching come from the East Anglian area. The reason I ask is because I may be able to trace an East Anglian based Unit to the area at that time.

Barbara

I have a question about a RAMC unit which I'm sure someone could answer.

Territorial 3/3 East Anglian Field Ambulances - to what division was it attached? What were its movements in the UK? Was it posted overseas?

Paul

Hello Paul

The only information that I have on the 3rd/3rd East Anglian Field Ambulance is that the unit was formed at Walthamstow in 1915 but were disbanded under Army Council Instruction 558 of 1917 and the personnel were absorbed into D and H companies, TF Section RAMC Depot, Blackpool where they were merged within the 4/3rd Home Counties Field Ambulance in 9th Provisional Field Ambulance. I do not believe it was ever posted overseas.

Barbara

I'm interested in finding out anything about my GF; PTE H. Thompson no. 1752 RAMC 101st feild ambulance.

and I have a mystery photo of one of his pals; J.Howard Bicknell what can anyone tell me about them or their movements?

I have some information on the movements of the 101st Fld Amb, which has been taken from the ADMS War Diary of the 33rd Division, which I am happy to send you.

The Service No 534444, which John kindly looked up, is one the 1917 Territorial Force numbering allocated to 4th London Divisional Field Ambulance. This Unit's origins trace back to the Woolwich Bearer Company, does Woolwich ring any bells? The 1st/4th London served with the 47th Division. The 2nd/4th went to salonika then transferred to the Egyptian Expeditionary Force becoming 121st Indian Combined Field Ambulance. The 3rd/4th was a home based Unit.

I hope this helps. If you send me a PM with your email address, I'll forward the info I have locations of the 101st.

Barbara

Hello Barbara,

2076 Ernest E. Riddell is listed on the War Memorial at Wath-upon-Dearne, Yorkshire. According to the CWGC he was aged 40 and was serving with the 1st/2nd (London) Sanitary Section. SDGW says he enlisted in Chelsea but was resident in Wath. I know of no East Anglian connections.

The other three RAMC casualties on this Memorial, those serving with the 54th CCS, also have no known connections, being born in the Wath area. Any idea why they should have been allocated to that particular Unit? To which Division did it belong?

Sorry I can't help you.

Best wishes,

Grant

Hi Barbara,

Would you have any info on the following RAMC officer who was killed with the 10th West Yorkshire Regiment in 1918. The only details I have are those outlined below, and that he once attended The University of Glasgow. I only came across the man today, and any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Hunter, Douglas William Capt. [K.I.A.] 25-3-1918 Age: 39 Cemetery-Memorial: Arras Memorial Bay 10. [son of Douglas and Mary Cameron Hunter, 7 Osborn Terrace, Copland Road, Glasgow][R.A.M.C. att. 10th Bttn.] Awarded D.S.O., MC and MID

Kind Regards,

Dave

Hi Barbara,

Would you have any info on the following RAMC officer who was killed with the 10th West Yorkshire Regiment in 1918. The only details I have are those outlined below, and that he once attended The University of Glasgow. I only came across the man today, and any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Hunter, Douglas William Capt. [K.I.A.] 25-3-1918 Age: 39 Cemetery-Memorial: Arras Memorial Bay 10. [son of Douglas and Mary Cameron Hunter, 7 Osborn Terrace, Copland Road, Glasgow][R.A.M.C. att. 10th Bttn.] Awarded D.S.O., MC and MID

Kind Regards,

Dave

From the University Roll of Honour

Surname.............Hunter

Forename............Douglas William

Rank................Captain

Regiment............Royal Army Medical Corps - 10th West Yorkshire Regiment

Degree..............MB ChB

Awards..............Distinguished Service Order, Military Cross, Mentioned in Despatches

Comments............Killed in action 25 March 1918

Note/Press Clipping.Ch 4/4/2/3/719 724, 1055, 1071

Photograph ID.......N/A

I am not too sure what the press clippings bit means , but well worth an e-mail to them I suspect.

They have an online request form here is the link.

http://www.archives.gla.ac.uk/about/enquiry.html

John

From the University Roll of Honour

Surname.............Hunter

Forename............Douglas William

Rank................Captain

Regiment............Royal Army Medical Corps - 10th West Yorkshire Regiment

Degree..............MB ChB

Awards..............Distinguished Service Order, Military Cross, Mentioned in Despatches

Comments............Killed in action 25 March 1918

Note/Press Clipping.Ch 4/4/2/3/719 724, 1055, 1071

Photograph ID.......N/A

I am not too sure what the press clippings bit means , but well worth an e-mail to them I suspect.

They have an online request form here is the link.

http://www.archives.gla.ac.uk/about/enquiry.html

John

You could also try the Mitchell Library Glasgow on line they are in the middle of scanning the Evening Times and are listing if there is a photograph or an obit notice of the individual they scanning is poor but they will go back to the original if need be.