Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC: researching Wilfred Lawton

Guest Andrew Lawton

Hello Barbara,

2076 Ernest E. Riddell is listed on the War Memorial at Wath-upon-Dearne, Yorkshire. According to the CWGC he was aged 40 and was serving with the 1st/2nd (London) Sanitary Section. SDGW says he enlisted in Chelsea but was resident in Wath. I know of no East Anglian connections.

The other three RAMC casualties on this Memorial, those serving with the 54th CCS, also have no known connections, being born in the Wath area. Any idea why they should have been allocated to that particular Unit? To which Division did it belong?

Sorry I can't help you.

Best wishes,

Grant

Hello Grant

I had a bit of a problem finding these units. This is because 54th (1st East Anglian) CCS was redesignated 66CCS and the 54th became 54th (1/2nd London) CCS. Then I couldn't find 1/2nd (London) San Sec but found 1st (London) which served with 69 (East Anglian) Div. Thats why I wondered if there was an East Anglian connection - Big problem for me :lol: but I've solved it.

2nd London Sanitary Section T. became 47th (London) Sanitary Section T. The Unit arrived le Havre with 47th (2nd London) Division T 18th March 1915. First war diary entry was December 1915.

Was re-numbered to 19 Sanitary Section from September 1916 to 31st January 1917, and transferred to 2nd Army 18th April 1917.

Hope this helps

Barbara

Hello David (mruk)

Have not been able to find an announcement for his death in the journal, some of the pages I have for April 1918 are missing.

For his DSO I've found

HUNTER D. W., M.B. (D.S.O. L.G. 25.8.16) (Details substituted in LG 26.9.16 for those in LG 25.8.16); educ. Glasgow University; CH.B. Glasgow; D.P.H. Cambridge; T/Capt., RAMC (att 10th W. Yorks Regt); served Europe War 1914; Despatches. He was killed in action 25.3.18. His D.S.O. was awarded for gallantry in Fricourt on 1.7.16.

Thats it for now.

Barbara

Many Thanks to All,

The reference to the London Gazette is greatly appreciated Barbara, and I will follow up the link to Glasgow University and the Mitchell Library. I'm also hoping to find something in the 'Times On-line' tomorrow [today] when I visit the library.

Kind Regards,

Dave

Hello All,

I've scanned an article "With the RAMC in the Forward Areas" from the magazine "Twenty Years After" (published late 1930s), which I have posted on Webshots,

Webshots WWI Stuff

If there's any interest, there's another RAMC article I could scan about behind the lines activities.

Regards,

Arthur

Hello All,

I've scanned an article "With the RAMC in the Forward Areas" from the magazine "Twenty Years After" (published late 1930s), which I have posted on Webshots,

Webshots WWI Stuff

If there's any interest, there's another RAMC article I could scan about behind the lines activities.

Regards,

Arthur

BJay

Although I am not involved with RAMC research, I did come across some members when looking into the background of names in our church book of remembrance & plaque a few years ago. Are the following of interest? The church is St. Anne's (CofE), Aigburth, in Liverpool.

The first is in the inscribed Book, but not on the wall plaque - this happened quite often, but we do not know why! The address given is not in the parish.

JEFFREYS, Frank Duncan. Corporal, 1809, Royal Army Medical Corps.

Died 5/3/16 serving in 63 Field Ambulance, T.F., buried at Cite Boujeau Military Cemetery, Armentieres. Age 38. Res: Chatham Street, Liverpool, son of late John and Louisa. Accidentally killed by exploding shell.

NICHOLLS, Thomas William. Private, 35085, Royal Army Medical Corps.

Died 18/10/17 serving in No.9 Field Ambulance, buried at Boulogne Eastern Cemetery. Res: 13 Birchtree Road, Aigburth. Victim of gassing.

POLHILL, William Edward. Private, 337075, Royal Army Medical Corps.

Killed in action 27/9/18 serving in 753 (2nd West Lancs) Field Ambulance TF, buried at Loveral Military Cemetery, Doignies. Age 22. Res: 1 Princes View, Sefton Park, son of W.E. & A.

WOCKENFORTH, Alfred Henry. Private, 1443, Royal Army Medical Corps.

Died of wounds 19/10/16 serving in 2/1 Field Ambulance TF, buried at Abbeville Communal Cemetery Extension. Age 19. Son of Harry & late Edith. Parish mag. gives West Lancs Field Ambulance as unit. Church memorial and RofH give Wockenfoth.

Daggers

Daggers

Thank you so much for this information. It is exactly what I am looking for - name, service number and the unit they served in.

I really appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it for me.

Barbara

Hello All,

Regards,

Arthur

Hello Arthur

Thank you for posting a link to the article "With the RAMC in the Forward Areas". I would be interested to read an article about behind the lines activities.

Barbara

Hello Arthur

Thank you for posting a link to the article "With the RAMC in the Forward Areas". I would be interested to read an article about behind the lines activities.

Barbara

Your wish, Barbara, is my command.

WW1 Stuff

The quality is more consistent than the Forward areas scans, as I eventually forced the scanning software out of the automatic mode, where it decided one page was a colour photo, the next a black and white photo, etcetera, etcetera. Click on the "full size" magnifying glass icon on right of the thumbnails, then click on the image when it appears on screen to see it full size.

I hope it's of some interest.

Regards,

Arthur

BJay

Looking for a long shot (as usual) I have came across a man who was the next door neighbour of my Grandfather , he was Robert Dudgeon and also served in the RAMC he had the service number 64884, which is very close to that of my Grandfathers, I was wondering if you had anything on him. Cheers

Hi John

No sorry. Yes the number is close to your Grandfather's 64457. I have your Grandfather's details on the wall in front of me so am always looking out for him. I'll put Robert Dodgeon's details with his, you never know.

I am aware that you are looking for info on the 27th and 102nd Fld Ambulances, would you like me to send you all the names I have for these? Not that I have that many but it may help you.

Barbara

Barbara,

"Sotonmate" has kindly looked up my grandfather's papers at Kew and adds a lot of information to his history. I know need to find out more about the KK Reinforcements and what was happening in Rouen 1/3/1916 and later 7/5/1918 at No 11 CCS ??? Any help or pointers much appreciated.

Hope the information adds to your data base

Thanks

Tim

" Tim...WO363/F597 has the signing on papers of 72545 Oscar FLUDE. His data is on Folios 640 to 657.

Signed on 26.10.1915. 19 years old.

...Home 19, Station Road, Desborough, Northants.

Posted RAMC. to Rouen 1.3.1916 "with K K Reinforcements"

7.5.1918 at No 11 CCS.

Other postings not legible on the microfilm reader,may show up better on positive screen.

Demobilised age 22 in Feb 1919.

1921 postcard from Records Office in Woking with BWMedal and Victory Medal.

Service Home 127 days ; BEF 2yrs 336 days ; Home 28 days.

Best wishes

Sotonmate "

Hello Tim

Brilliant that your grandfather's papers were at Kew and that Sotonmate was able to trace them for you. I will add the information to my database, thank you for that.

I must admit that I do not know what "K K Reinforcements" means. I have a list of the hospitals that were stationed at Rouen, as far as I am aware there was 19 in all (over the course of time) but none arrived, as far as I can see, on the 1/3/16. I will need to do a bit of investigating, which I'm happy to do, but it may take a short while, unless someone else can point us both in the right direction??

No 11 CCS was situation at Moulle from 29/4/18 - 6/10/18. It was part of the medical services of the Second Army during the German Offensive on the Lys. According to the Medical Services Official History, at the end of April, all the general hospitals were withdrawn from St. Omer and its vicinity, leaving 2 stationary hosptials and 4 CCSs - No 18 at Malassise, No 58 CCS at Longueneese, No 17 at Argues and No 11 at Moulle. They served as special hosptials for gassed, N.Y.D.N., infectious, venereal and Chinese labour patients. The Official History reads "The medical situation of the Second Army then was that two corps on the left, the XXIInd and IInd, were sending their wounded to Esquelbecq casualty clearing stations; while Nos 2 and 15 C.C.Ss at Ebblinghem were receiving wounded from the XVth Corps on the right, and the two casualty clearing stations at Blendecques the walking wounded, who were being brought back from the main dressing stations by temporary ambulance trains. No 18 C.C.S at Malassise was receiving infectious cases, and No 11 at Moulle Chinese sick......" It then goes on to say "During May the Second Army front was comparatively quiet, although it was frequently bombarded by gas shells and suffered from air raids which caused much damage in the back areas, notably at St. Omer, where No 10 Stationery Hosptial was bombed during the night of the 21st/22nd May...."

I hope this helps.

Barbara

Barbara,

Thanks for the information...a little digging ont' internet I think KK reinforcements was part of Kitcheners New Army ( the K1's etc ... my Grandad might have signed up as a PAL ? and been part of the 6th new army well a bit later on???

Any clues especially to where more detailed information may lie would be much appreciated

Tim

I did find Kaapse Korp...SA army...but couldn't find out anything about them

PPS Thankyou to everyone who posts especially Barbara, your knowledge and dedication to recording this part of our history is much appreciated.

Hi John

No sorry. Yes the number is close to your Grandfather's 64457. I have your Grandfather's details on the wall in front of me so am always looking out for him. I'll put Robert Dodgeon's details with his, you never know.

I am aware that you are looking for info on the 27th and 102nd Fld Ambulances, would you like me to send you all the names I have for these? Not that I have that many but it may help you.

Barbara

Barbara that would be great I might spot a local name, you never know, thanks.

Barbara,

Thanks for the information...a little digging ont' internet I think KK reinforcements was part of Kitcheners New Army ( the K1's etc ... my Grandad might have signed up as a PAL ? and been part of the 6th new army well a bit later on???

Any clues especially to where more detailed information may lie would be much appreciated

Tim

I did find Kaapse Korp...SA army...but couldn't find out anything about them

PPS Thankyou to everyone who posts especially Barbara, your knowledge and dedication to recording this part of our history is much appreciated.

Thanks Tim

I did wonder myself if KK Reinforcements had anything to do with Kitcheners New Army but I cannot trace what KK would stand for. I also found info on Kaapse Korp but it was all in a foreign language :( It is possible that I have some information here but I'm not sure where to start looking, if I do find any though I will let you know.

There may be more detailed info on No 11 CCS in their war diary. The reference number for Europe between April 1916 - Sept 1919 is W095/343, before that they were at Gallipoli and Egypt. Again, If I find any other info or references to info, I will let you know.

Barbara

Barbara:

I found this reference in Frome's Fallen Heroes The Great War by David L. Adams (Frome, Somerset).

I thought the information might be good for your database.

Chris

Fellows, Samuel

Private 37838, Royal Army Medical Corps

Died 16th July 1916

"Private Samuel Fellows was the son of Mr. S. Fellows, of Great Elm, Frome; and husband of Eliza Fellows, of

19, Salisbury Road, Smethwick. In October 1915, Private Fellows was carrying a wounded soldier from the trenches on his back, when a shell burst behind him. The shell blew the wounded soldier's head off, and the shock caused Private Fellows to bite his tongue almost in half. He never reported the injury for two months, and it was found he had developed a growth in his throat. He was treated in hospital, and was transferred to a Birmingham hospital, where he died. He is buried at Smethwick Old Churchyard, Staffordshire. Grave Ref. 2704. His name appears on the Frome War Memorial."

There are several other RAMC members in this book, if you are interested, including a medical officer, Capt. Charles R. Howard, OBE, M.D., who was KIA 6 Sept. 1918, in East Africa.

Hello Chris

Thank you so much for posting the above.

I did a search and found a bit more detail on Capt Howard. His full name was Charles Reginald Howard OBE, he was T/Capt att to King`s Afr Rif., killed in action 6/9/18 and is buried in Lumbo British Cemetery, East Africa.

I would be interested in any of the RAMC members, and relevant information, mentioned in the book.

Thanks again

Barbara

Barbara:

Here's Capt. Howard. Several others to come.

Chris

In Frome's Fallen Heroes The Great War by David L. Adams (Frome, Somerset).

Howard, Charles Reginald OBE, M.D.

Captain, RAMC

KIA 6th September 1918

Captain Charles Reginald Howard, OBE, M.D., was born in 1875, and was the youngest son of Mr. Robert Luke Howard, of Teignmouth, Devon, formerly of St. Albans. Captain Charles Reginald Howard, B.A., B.C., M.D., MRCS England, L.R.C.P., London, of Garston House, Frome, was killed in action in East Africa. Was educated at Bengeo, Hertfordshire, Repton, Pembroke College, Cambridge, and Guy's Hospital, London, and was married to Hilda Margaret Moore, and had two daughters and a son. Acting as assistant house surgeon at Guy's Hospital, and then went to East Africa as bacteriologist to the Zanzibar government. Reading a special study of plague, and "Plague in Zanzibar" was the subject he chose for his medical thesis when sitting for his M.D. in 1906, and published a book on the subject. Captain Howard served in the Boer War in South Africa with the Dorset Yeomanry, and was awarded the South Africa Medal with five bars. He settled in Frome and in 1910, was appointed Medical Officer of Health for the Frome Rural District, and a number of appointments as examining medical officer for insurance companies. Was honorary surgeon to the Frome Victoria Hospital, and an assistant medical inspector of schools under the Somerset Education Committee. When the war broke out he became a lieutenant with the Army Medical Corps (RAMC) in September 1914, and went to France in charge of the 1st Motor Red Cross Ambulance, including the Mons retreat. Due to bad health, he returned home, but after recuperation returned to the RAMC. Having a good knowledge of the Swahili language, and a knowledge of tropical diseases, and with his studies and experiences in Zanzibar, he was selected for service in German East Africa. He was promoted to Captain in the RAMC and attached to the King's African Rifles, where he served from March 1916 to the date of his death, when he was senior medical officer of the force and acting Lieutenant Colonel, with the expectation of receiving the rank within a day or two when he was killed. In letters from his fellow officers, "On the morning of 6th September the King's African Rifles, 'bumped,' the Hun's main fighting force at Pere. As fierce fighting ensued, the ambulance section, unfortunately, feeling the brunt of it, being centrally placed in the column. Captain Howard, who was the senior medical officer to the column, was seen to rush, when the fight was at its height, towards 'No man's land' endeavoring, it seemed, to pull into safety some badly wounded lying there, and before he could accomplish his objective, he himself fell, shot through the chest dying instantly. We could not recover the body that day, but on the next. He was accorded a full military funeral, every officer being present to pay a last respect. He was most popular and beloved by all out here." He is buried at Lumbo British Cemetery, Mozambique. Grave Ref. I. A.2. His name appears on the Frome War Memorial and the St. John's Memorial in Frome.

Barbara: I have added photo of Dr. Howard from book.

post-1571-1171335278.jpg

Barbara:

Here's Capt. Howard. Several others to come.

Chris

As it stated that he was educated as Guy's Hospital I looked him up in their obituary hoping to see a photo, no such luck though. It does honour him but with less detail than you have posted so I really appreciate you taking the time. I will try to add the info to my database but it is a bit tempermental at the moment, sometimes I have to add one person 4 times before it takes it, so maybe better to add a bit at a time. :D

I'm looking forward to reading about the others, thanks so much.

Barbara

Barbara:

I have added Dr. Howard's photo above. Here is another in Frome's Fallen Heroes The Great War by David L. Adams:

Penny, Bertram Oliver

Corporal 546147, RAMC

Died 28th July, 1918. Age: 44

"Bertram Oliver Penny was the son of William Henry and Charlotte Ann Penny, of Frome. He was attached to the 2nd London Sanitary Company of the RAMC and died of sickness. He is buried at Cairo War Memorial Cemetery Egypt. Grave Ref. O.220. His name appears on the Frome War Memorial and St. John's Memorial.

Several more to come.

Chris

In Frome's Fallen Heroes The Great War by David L. Adams:

Leach, Ernest John

Sergeant 89447 RAMC

Died 9th February 1919. Age: 25

"Ernest John Leach was the son of Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Leach, of 24, Alexandra Road, Frome. He was an apprentice at Wickendens, Market Pace, Frome, before joining the RAMC in April 1915. He was on active service in France, and afterwards, in Italy. Ernest was a regular player in the Frome and Weston Super Mare water polo teams. In other branches of sport he was well known as an all around athlete. He was attached to the Ambulance Train Section. He died of double pneumonia following influenza, and is buried at

St. Germain-au-Mont-D'or Communal Cemetery, Rhone, France. His name appears on the FRome War Memorial."

Webley, Albert Frank

Private 1937 RAMC (Territorial Force)

Died 21st October 1915. Age: 18

"Private Albert Frank Webley was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Webley, of Fromefield, Frome, and formerly worked for Wilson & Co., at Welshmill, Frome. He joined the RAMC on 22nd September 1914, attached to the 1st/2nd Royal (South Western) Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance, and left England on the 26th of September 1915. Albert died of dysentery at Alexandria, Egypt,. A letter was received from him on the 13th October, 1915, stating that he was quite well, ten days later his parents were notified that he was lying dangerously ill with dysentery at Alexandria. His father was a member of the Frome Volunteer Corps and was serving with the Somerset's at Tidworth, having been called up as a Reservist on the 1st of February, 1915. According to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, Albert has no known grave and is commemorated on the Helles Memorial, Turkey, Panels 199 & 200 or 236 to 239 and 328, which is unusual as he died in Egypt and should have a grave there. His name appears on the Frome War Memorial."

Phillips, Frank Thomas

Corporal 456039 RAMC

KIA 6th November 1917. Age: 30

"Corporal Frank Phillips was the youngest son of Thomas and Elizabeth Phillips, of The Swan Inn, Badcox, Frome. Frank was employed at Butler & Tanner, printers of Frome as a reader before the war broke out, and had served in the Territorial Royal Army Medical Corps, but on the outbreak of war voluntered to rejoin. He was accepted, and was with the force mobilized at Frome in the Autumn of 1914. Formerly attached to the 1st/1st Battalion West Somerset Yeomanry, he went with them to the Mediterranean. Frank

was at the Dardanelles, and afterwards went to Egypt and Palestine with the Somersets. In a letter from the Commanding Officer of the battalion from the testimony he had received from eye witnesses of the, "Gallant work Corporal Phillips did on the 6th November 1917 at the battle of Sheria." He also quotes a letter from the Medical Officer, who was wounded by the same shell, "I was dressing a poor chap on a stretcher, when they dropped a few yards away a 5.9 inch shell; the same shell I believe, killed poor Corporal Phillips, for I am rather hazy as to what happened after that. I wish here to mention that he was an excellent lad, and worked with me the whole time, absolutely oblivious to the danger around him, and his courage is worthy of the highest mention." The commanding officer of the battalion added, "I cannot tell you what a loss your brother is to the battalion. Throughout the campaign he has done splendid work, and you must be proud that he has met such a gallant death in the service of his King and Country. It may be some small consolation to you to know that had your brother lived I should have recommended him for the award of the D.C.M." Corporal Phillips had lived with his eldest brother in Alexandra Road, Frome. He left a fiancee, and is buried at Beersheba War Cemetery, Israel. Grave Ref. L. 72. His name appears on the War Memorial, St. John's, and Christ Church Memorials in Frome."

Cheers Chris, I really do appreciate this.

I have been working on a photo gallery, which should hopefully be on my website by the end of the week. Then, fingers crossed, I am hoping that a link can be put in place from the database to the gallery so I am really grateful for the picture of Capt Howard.

Barbara