Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC: researching Wilfred Lawton

Guest Andrew Lawton

BJay another for your collection - John

post-12171-1171623100.jpg

Date of clipping is September, 1914 so I would think there is a fair chance he is a TF man.

Hi BJay

Just came across this photo in my file which gives a little more information on Cpl Smith who is buried at Bouzincourt Communal Cemetery Extension. I believe he was a resident of Newcastle and according to his inscription had a B. A. Hons. from Dunelm.

Myrtle

post-38-1171630604.jpg

Hi Pete,

I wonder whether you have come across any information on my Great Grandfather - Oliver Long Robinson.

He served in the RAMC during the Great War and entered Egypt as part of the Egypt Expeditionary Force in May 1915 and was ADMS to the 52nd Division from March 1916 to March 1917 but I am unsure of what he did from this time to the end of the war.

I have attached a potted history of his career that I have put together from various sources but unfortunately family resources are virtually non-existent so info is a little thin on the ground. Anything you have would be gratefully received.

Regards

Mark RobinsonService_History.doc

Hi BJay,

I have sent you a PM rather than repeat the post I sent Pete Starling. I hope you don't mind as I got slightly confused over replying to posts etc - not done very much of this as you can probably tell. Please look at the attachment I put on Pete's message if it helps you with my request for info as well. Thanks very much indeed.

Kind regard

Mark Robinson

BJay another for your collection - John

Date of clipping is September, 1914 so I would think there is a fair chance he is a TF man.

Thanks John

I've found a reference to T/Lieut Tullock in the 9th Field Ambulance. They were in the 3rd Div then joined the Guards Div in 1915, so possibly him as it is an early date but I cannot trace him in the 1914 or 1915 Army Lists. I'll try to trace him again over the weekend, if he was a TF man then I would have thought he'd be in the Army Lists??? Having said that the article said he went back to his 'regiment' so was he a RMO?? If I find any other info I'll let you know.

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

Can I possibly enlist your help again please? I have just found another M.O. who served with the West Yorkshire Regiment, and the only reference I can find is in the LG edition of 1914. Lt. [Capt] Reginald George Abrahams, RAMC, was a regular at the Regimental Reunion Dinners the West Yorkshires held at the Guildford Hotel in Leeds, and any other information would be most welcome. He was still attending these dinners in 1936, though I can find no mention of him at the final reunion in 1964.

Kind Regards,

Dave

Hi BJay

Just came across this photo in my file which gives a little more information on Cpl Smith who is buried at Bouzincourt Communal Cemetery Extension. I believe he was a resident of Newcastle and according to his inscription had a B. A. Hons. from Dunelm.

Myrtle

Thanks Myrtle

I've just looked him up on CWGC and note that he served in the 92nd Fld Amb but I didn't have him listed. According to SDGW he was a resident of Newcastle, his name was William Davidson Smith.

I will add him to my spreadsheet, and will try to add him to the database but it really is tempermental at the moment. I am waiting for expert advise as to what I can do to improve it. I will also use the picture if thats ok? Its difficult for me to credit the picture to you from the gallery but I will add a credit either on his page when the system is running better or on the acknowledgement page.

I keep saying I really appreciate people helping me with information but I really do. Its Brilliant :) Thanks

Barbara

Hi BJay,

I wonder if you could search your list for a William Dickey. Probally a 2ndLt in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 2/1st (Highland) Field Ambulance. All of which were attached to the 51st Highland Division.

He is my Grandfather and he survived the war.

I know very little other than the above.

Thanks

Hi BJay,

I have sent you a PM rather than repeat the post I sent Pete Starling. I hope you don't mind

Mark Robinson

Hello Mark

I do not mind at all. I have sent a reply to your PM.

Barbara

Hi BJay,

I wonder if you could search your list for a William Dickey. Probally a 2ndLt in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 2/1st (Highland) Field Ambulance. All of which were attached to the 51st Highland Division.

He is my Grandfather and he survived the war.

I know very little other than the above.

Thanks

Here is his Medal card which you can download

It would appear he was indeed a Lieutenant.

Hi Barbara,

Can I possibly enlist your help again please? I have just found another M.O. who served with the West Yorkshire Regiment, and the only reference I can find is in the LG edition of 1914. Lt. [Capt] Reginald George Abrahams, RAMC, was a regular at the Regimental Reunion Dinners the West Yorkshires held at the Guildford Hotel in Leeds, and any other information would be most welcome. He was still attending these dinners in 1936, though I can find no mention of him at the final reunion in 1964.

Kind Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

I haven't got anything on my PC but he is in the 1918 Army List under Temporary Captains. He is also in the 1921 Medical Directory

ABRAHAMS Reginald Geo., 28 Clarendon-rd. Edgbaston, Birmingham (Tel. Edgbaston 212) - M.B., Ch.B Birm. 1914 ; (Univ. Birm) ; Ho. Surg. Queen's Hosp. Birm.; served RAMC 1914-19. Author (Bourke, Abrahams & Rowland) "Clin. Observations on Cerebro-Spinal Fev." RAMC Jl 1915.

He is also in the 1945 Medical Directory, so still practicing then.

These are the obvious places for me to look. If I come across anything else I'll let you know.

Barbara

Many Thanks, Barbara

You're most kind, and any info is good info. I've got my thinking cap on now, and I'll see if there's anything held in the Birmingham Archives. :D

Kind Regards,

Dave

Hi BJay,

Thanks

Hi Bobberto66

I do not have William Dickey listed but I have traced a Dickey W in the 1918 Army List index. The only problem is the reference no given to the details does not exist, which is always helpful, so I need to scan through and come back to you. Unless someone else with an Army List can help.

Barbara

I am waiting for expert advise as to what I can do to improve it. I will also use the picture if thats ok? Its difficult for me to credit the picture to you from the gallery but I will add a credit either on his page when the system is running better or on the acknowledgement page.

Barbara

Hi Barbara

Pleased that the photograph is of interest. Yes, certainly it's ok for you to use the photograph. Hopefully we will find out more on how to improve data bases at the Database Conference :)

Myrtle

Hi Barbara

Pleased that the photograph is of interest. Yes, certainly it's ok for you to use the photograph. Hopefully we will find out more on how to improve data bases at the Database Conference :)

Myrtle

Thanks Myrtle. I hope so too and am looking forward to it.

Barbara

Hi BJay

Could you pelase check for Pte Edwin Halls Reg No. 55678.

Thanking you in advance

michelel

Hi Michelle

I've check my database but do not have any further information. If I do come across anything I will send you a PM.

Barbara

I have an obituary here for a 'F. Whincup' who drowned. It was taken from the November 1917 edition of "The Leodiensian". [Leeds Grammar School]. I have no further details, but I hope it helps.

"F. Whincup, son of Mr. Charles Whincup, Green Hammerton, near York, entered the school in 1883. He studied at S. Bartholomew's Hospital and took the diplomas of M.R.C.S. and L.R.C.P. Lond. in 1897, and that of F.R.C.S. Edin. in 1902. After holding appointments at Plymouth and Stroud Hospitals he was appointed anaesthetist to the Shropshire and Mid-Wales Eye, Ear and Throat Hospitals at Shrewsbury. Later he went into practice in that town, and was physician to the Royal Salop Infirmary and medical officer to the Post Office and to the Board of Education. He only recently took a temporary commission in the R.A.M.C., and was accidently drowned in France on July 2nd, 1917."

[The Leodiensian Vol. XXXVI, No. 5. Nov. 1917. p. 63][The Leodiensian Vols. 36-37. 1917-1918] Leeds Central Library. L373 L551

Whincup, Frank Lt. [R.A.M.C.] Drowned: 2-7-1917 Age: 42 Cemetery-Memorial: Ste. Marie Cemetery-Le Havre. Div 62. I. E. 12. [son of Charles Todd Whincup and Sarah Whincup, Green Hammerton, York: Medical Practioner at Shrewsbury]

Kind Regards,

Dave

Thanks Dave

I looked him up on the St Bartholomew's roll of honour and he is there. More or less the same but a bit more info, if you want to add it to your records - He was educated at Leeds Grammar School and entered St. Bartholomew's Hospital as a student in 1981. He was a house-surgeon to Stroud Hospital and a house physician to the South Devon and East Cornwall Hospital.

Barbara

Many Thanks Barbara,

I was just looking up other casualties from Leeds Grammar School, and I thought it was worth keeping for the site. Is there any mention of other units attached to before his death? I'd be most interested in any who may have served with the 10th West Yorks, although I've no real way of knowing unless I come across them accidently.

Kind Regards,

Dave

My wife and I have been researching her great grandfather. He was in the RAMC. We know that he was in the Army by 1912 as he met and married his wife whilst based at Kinsale in Ireland. On his son's wedding certificate he is listed as an army nurse. In 1925 he died of pleurisy and family legend says he left the army because of the effects of gas. One of his children's birth certificate from May 1916 he is described as a 'general labourer and army pensioner'. His name was Robert Gilchrist Allan and he was born in 1889 Hamilton in Lanark. On the medal role he is listed as:

Robert G Allan RAMC Pte Regt No 4934, the victory medal ref is RAMC/101b68(or f?) Page 5167

and ditto for the British medal , at the bottom it says sub list RAMC/34

1) Does anyone have a record of what unit of the RAMC Robert was in? We would love to be able to trace his unit and maybe find out when and how he was invalided out of the army. He is not in the PIN records and we need to finish going through the burnt records.

2) Can anyone recommend any good books which would give us a sense of the training and work of an RAMC nurse just before and during the Great War?

3) The family he came from had been stonemasons and farmers for over a century, we were wondering why and how he could have been attracted to the RAMC and doing something so radically different.

Thanks

Justin

Guest sahargreaves

Hello Barbara,

I have been trying to find out more about my great uncle who served in the Great War in the RAMC.

While trying to follow up his medal card I came across the recent messages of people trying to do the same as me!!

I have also come up against the same kind of problems and wondered if you might be able to check your data for my gt uncle please? (Just in case!)

He was Pte 10629 Ralph (Victor) RAWLINGS

His first Theatre of War was Egypt which he entered on 30th May 1915.

I have done quite a lot of background reading and research about the RAMC and would love to know in what capacity Ralph served. But unless I can find a bit more about his war unit then I know that this will be highly unlikely

Do hope this isn't an imposition.

Best wishes

Sandra Hargreaves

• 3 weeks later...

Bjay another for you collection, from 1915

post-12171-1174063910.jpg

PS is it just me or has this thread went quiet since it gained 'classic' status.