Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC: researching Wilfred Lawton

Guest Andrew Lawton

A wee bit off topic but did youknow your Grandad was an author?

Bletchley - Bennitt, F.W. (Rector of Bletchley Church) H. Jackson and Co, Leighton Buzzard pre 1932

If it's a book about the local area, he might have touched on the Great War given the publishing date.

Also came across a photo of his house.

Hi John,

Yes, I knew he'd written on local history, though I don't have the book. Will also pursue my inquiries among my various relatives.

cheers Martin B

Another couple for your collection BJay

Dr Mackenzie is Lieutenant John MacKenzie

Hi Martin B

Just to let you know that I haven't found anything yet. I will keep looking though and will inform you if I trace the service number to a series of numbers allocated to a specific Unit or if I trace any info connected to the area.

I will send you a PM if I find anything so you don't have to keep checking the thread. Thats the same for all RAMC personnel mentioned on the thread.

Barbara

Hi Martin B

Just to let you know that I haven't found anything yet. I will keep looking though and will inform you if I trace the service number to a series of numbers allocated to a specific Unit or if I trace any info connected to the area.

I will send you a PM if I find anything so you don't have to keep checking the thread. Thats the same for all RAMC personnel mentioned on the thread.

Barbara

Thanks Barbara

Likewise, if I get anything from my family researches (which may take some time), I'll PM you or post it. One thought, might Crockford's clerical directory for any year after the war have details of any military service? Anyone got a copy?

cheers Martin B

Here is a medallist for you BJay

Thanks again John

Its just a thought but I am wondering if I can use the picture. I am hoping to put pictures of Units on anyway, in case someone recognises who they are.

Barbara

As far as I am aware the photo is now in the public domain and a matter of public record, I think you should be fine,just credit the Edinburgh Evening News.

I suppose if you credit the source they won't mind because they are getting free advertising. I don't know the answer to that but I'll look into it.

Cheers John, you are a pal

Barbara

Apologies, strange thing were happening to accompanying text with very bizarre links cropping up in midst of information.

men are all from Edinburgh area and were killed in action c 1915 - 1916 I will post medallists next.

• 4 weeks later...

Barbara

would you be able to look up Private Oscar Flude, regt no 72545 (from his MIC) , he hailed from Desborough, Northants....he is my grandfather and until recently I didn't know he served in WW1 ...I would love to find out the regiment etc and find out more re: their formation training and manoevres etc and maybe even a photo...anything really

thanks

Tim

Hello Tim

Sorry I cannot find any information about Pte O Flude as yet.

I have a database though, which has just become live on the internet. It really is at the early stages at the moment but I will be adding all the RAMC personnel that I can trace from the various references I have. I will also be adding (asap) all the group pictures I have of various Fld Ambulances in the hope that they can be recognised by family members, so there is hope yet of you tracing him to a Unit. My website addess is www.ramc-ww1.com or www.ramc-ww1.co.uk.

The only other advise I can give is to look in the section on how to research a soldier on the Long Long Trail as the information there is brilliant.

Barbara

Thanks for looking Barbara, I'll keep checking with your web site which I hope does well, should I find more information myself I'll let you know so you can add it to the database.

Tim

Hi Barbara,

Have you anything on Capt. Charles M Bernays RAMC? Other than a medal card I can find nothing on him yet he's on a local memorial.

Keith

Hello Keith

I've had a look through the 1918 Army List index but I cannot find Capt Bernays, he is not listed in the 1914 Army List index either.

He may be listed in the Army Lists between those dates but I only have copies which do not have an index. Can you tell me the area the memorial is? This may help me to narrow down the search for him.

Barbara

Hi BJay, Keith

TNA have him recorded as this

Description Medal card of Bernays, C M

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Army Medical Corps Temporary Lieutenant

Not much detail I'm afraid , he doesn't appear on CWGC or ODGW, maybe that he died after the cutoff date, he might even be buried locally.

Just noticed that his MIC appears in this series "Mentions in Despatches, Meritorious Service Medals and Territorial Force Efficiency Medals" rather than the usual one, I am hopeless with the London Gazette but, I'll have a look.

Found this

post-12171-1164740172.jpg

So could be he died at home of ill health after discharge, but after CWGC cutoff date.

John,

Many thanks. Its also nice to see Dr Mackenzie also survived. I have his name as certifying death on one of some of my Walkingshaws in around 1920!

Barbara,

Thanks also for trying. I appreciate your efforts. He is recorded on the memorial on Shirley, Solihull. I can let you have a photo if you want it.

Keith

Nice one John. I wondered if he became ill or was wounded before the end of the war as he was not listed in the November 1918 Army List.

Keith

I will look and see if there is anything mentioned in the Medical Journal and check the 1917 Army List. Thank you for your offer of a photo, I will send you a PM with my email address.

Barbara

Barbara:

A real-photo postcard I have which may be of interest in your endeavor:

#105950 Pte. George P. Bullock, RAMC. Period-ink signed w/number and dated 10/5/16. His MIC shows entitlement to a pair.

Chris

post-1571-1164774444.jpg

Chris

Thank you very much for posting the photo you have of Pte George P Bullock. I really appreciate it and would love to use it on my database if that is ok with you. I can download the picture from here and will of course credit the photo to you unless you have any objections to that.

I have done a search and do not appear to have any information on him. I have created the database so that fragmented material can be gathered into one place in the hope that their units and/or any numbering systems can be identified.

Many thanks again

Barbara