Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brothers who died on the same date!

aliecoco

I have the medals to the Fippard Brothers, who were KIA on the same day, but in completely different theatres and regiments. One in Gallipoli one in F&F, the effect on the family I'm glad we can only imagine at today

Steve

Steve

I don't know if you have (or want) pictures of Richard Clift Fippard or Herbert John Fippard and their obituaries from the Polytechnic magazin where they attended the Commercial School. If so PM me

• 2 months later...

7 August 1915

Wilfred (25) and Gresley (30) HARPER. 10th Light Horse Regiment, Australian Imperial Force. Killed at The Nek. Sons of Mrs C Harper. Both named on the Lone Pine Memorial. Anzac.

Also 7 August 1915

Ross (31) and Lindsay (28) CHIPPER. 10th Light Horse Regiment, Australian Imperial Force. Killed at The Nek. Sons of Mrs S.M. Harper. Both buried Ari Burnu Cemetery. Anzac,

• 3 months later...

Have two Brothers for you here.

735/420268 SJT Bowman, Edward KIA 02/11/17 Age 24

657/420236 CPL Bowman, Thomas KIA 02/11/17 Age 20

Both killed at the 3rd Battle of Gaza serving with the 1/10th London regiment Hackney.

Sons of William George and Emily Bowman of 120 Mansfield street, Haggerston, London.

Both Remembered on the Jerusalem Memorial

Panels 47-53

• 5 weeks later...

I found a pair this morning,

"During the morning a minenwerfer buried one man. 2nd Lieutenant Ernest Hicks, Sergeant Ernest Gray, Corporal Albert George Baxter, and Rifleman Frederick Smith continued for 40 minutes digging him out whilst minnies fell all round him. All four were killed just as they had reached the buried man, this man was the only one to survive. Most gallant work on the part of all four." From the diary of the 2nd/18th Battalion on October 9. All four are buried in Ecoivres Military Cemetery, Mont St. Eloi, France.

Five members of the Battalion disappeared during the battle on this day, including 27-year-old Corporal William John Baxter, who is listed on the Arras Memorial. Albert and William were brothers, who died on the same day with the same battalion. They were the sons of William and Elizabeth who lived in Richmond, Surrey, with their daughter and last remaining son.

Name: BAXTER, ALBERT GEORGE

Initials: A G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: London Regiment (London Irish Rifles)

Unit Text: 2nd/18th Bn.

Date of Death: 09/10/1916

Service No: 2099

Additional information: Son of William and Elizabeth Ann Baxter, of "Erpingham," King's Rd., Richmond, Surrey.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. G. 23.

Cemetery: ECOIVRES MILITARY CEMETERY, MONT-ST. ELOI

Name: BAXTER, WILLIAM JOHN

Initials: W J

Regiment/Service: London Regiment (London Irish Rifles)

Unit Text: 2nd/18th Bn.

Date of Death: 09/10/1916

Service No: 590566

Additional information: Son of William and Elizabeth Ann Baxter, of 88, King's Rd., Richmond, Surrey.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 10.

Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

They are both on the 1901 census, however the age for William is wrong. He was 11 in 1901 according to the census. I would say Alberts name is wrong on the census as well.

Both died the same day, from the same Battalion, one found and the other commemorated on the Arras Memorial.

Rest in peace soldier boys

Cheers Andy.

• 1 month later...

I believe I have found a set of brothers died together which I posted here.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...t&p=1222585

What about:

Philip Egerton WEDGWOOD

Second Lieutenant

16th Bn Royal Irish Rifles

KIA 01/07/1916

IV. A. 4. MILL ROAD CEMETERY, THIEPVAL

Lieutenant GILBERT COLCLOUGH WEDGWOOD

109th Coy., Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)

who died age 22

on 01 July 1916

Son of Elizabeth Wedgwood, of "Egerton," 76, North Rd., Bloomfield, Belfast, and the late Rev. George Ryles Wedgwood.

Remembered with honour

THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Their relation is supported by an article here.

Regards.

Post-Armistice and died of pneumonia according to this post, so you may have discounted these already, but how about:

Name: MOREAU, ANDREW

Initials: A

Regiment/Service: Royal Army Service Corps

Unit Text: 1st Cav. Div. Supply Col. M.T.

Date of Death: 07/12/1918

Service No: M2/077541

Additional information: Son of James and Margaret Moreau, of 2, Glen St., Edinburgh. His brother, David served in the same unit, died on the same day and is buried next to him.

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. A. 22.

Cemetery: HUY (LA SARTE) COMMUNAL CEMETERY

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=481349

Name: MOREAU, DAVID

Initials: D

Regiment/Service: Royal Army Service Corps

Unit Text: 1st Cav. Div. Supply Col. M.T.

Date of Death: 07/12/1918

Service No: M2/077542

Additional information: Son of James and Margaret Moreau, of 2, Glen St., Edinburgh. His brother, Andrew who served in the same unit, died on the same day and is buried next to him.

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. A. 21.

Cemetery: HUY (LA SARTE) COMMUNAL CEMETERY

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=481350

Adrian

Chris

I have a pair to add. Both 1st 6th RWF at Gallipoli.

Name: LLOYD, MOSES

Initials: M

Regiment/Service: Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Unit Text: 1st/6th Bn.

Date of Death: 11/08/1915

Service No: 961

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Lloyd, of "Meirion," County Rd., Penygroes, Carnarvonshire.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 77 to 80.

Memorial: HELLES MEMORIAL

and his brother

Name: LLOYD, JOHN

Initials: J

Regiment/Service: Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Unit Text: 1st/6th Bn.

Date of Death: 11/08/1915

Service No: 1171

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Lloyd, of "Meirion," County Rd., Penygroes, Carnarvonshire.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 77 to 80.

Memorial: HELLES MEMORIAL

Hywyn

• 3 weeks later...

David Oakman

2nd Battalion, Suffolk Regt

Private 8814

Born - Ely

Enlisted - Cambridge

KIA 26/08/04 at Le Cateau

Aged 19

Ernest Oakman

2nd Battalion, Suffolk Regt

Private 8785

Born - Burnt Fen

Enlisted - Cambridge

KIA 26/08/14 at Le Cateau

Aged 17

Both sons of Henry and Mary Jane Oakman of Dullingham, Cambridgeshire.

Gavin

• 1 month later...

What about the Franklin brothers both KIA 13/10/1915 at the Hohenzollern Redoubt. No.3190 Albert & No3191 Edward, both with the 1/5th Linc.R.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=2942719

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=2942721

Dick

All now brought up to date (I think) except the Franklins. Is there any proof that they are brothers?

Thanks for those who have sent brothers by email. I shall be adding them this weekend. We are now up to 213 sets of brothers.

Chris i emailed you a list a while back.

Amoungst others were these relatives of mine. Having done some research Frederick was actually 17 when he was killed in action, not 18 as i then thought. He enlisted at 15.

BENNETT, ROBERT JAMES Pioneer 125278 Royal Engineers 10/11/1915 Aged 43

BENNETT, CHARLES EDWIN Private 315959 Royal Welsh Fusilier 23/11/1917 Aged 18

BENNETT, FREDERICK ARTHUR Private 268003 Welsh Regiment 23/11/1917 Aged 17, enlisted at 15.

Robert is the father of Charles and Uncle of Frederick. Charles and Frederick, both cousins, died on the same day in differnt countries. They were from Mkt Drayton.

Neil Evans

Hi, Chris, do you have these?

Name: BELSTEN, WILLIAM HENRY. Rank: Corporal. Service No: 2360.

Regiment/Service: 1st/13th Kensington Bn. London Regiment.

Age: 24. Date of Death: 09/05/1915 (Same day as brother Walter Sydney below).

Additional information: Recorded as living at 8 Colville Road, Acton in 1901 Census.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 10. Memorial: Ploegsteert Memorial.

Name: BELSTEN, WALTER SYDNEY. Rank: Private. Service No: 1756.

Regiment/Service: 1st/13th Kensington Bn. London Regiment.

Additional information: Son of William H. and Sarah E. Belsten, of 8, Colville Road, Acton.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 10. Memorial: Ploegsteert Memorial.

If anyone can provide any more details on these or any other Acton / Chiswick men, I'd be grateful. Thanks

Chris,

Tonie and Valmai Holt’s ‘Battlefields of the First World War’on page 73 has Cpl Thomas Hardwidge and his brother L/Cpl. Harry Hardwidge killed together on 11 July 1916 Both of 15th R.W.F. and both buried at Flat Iron Copse Cemetery.

Roy

Buried side by side.

post-3373-1254502388.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings,

I have been researching the plight of two brothers who served in the 10 Coy. Canadian Machine Gun Corps who both died on November 4, 1917. Sons of Samuel and Emily White, the two brothers entered the service together. At the age of 33, William George, who had four years prior military service with 2nd Volunteer Bn., Middlesex Regiment, took his oath in Calgary on December 31, 1914. Younger brother, 20-year-old Walter Ernst White, a telegraphist with two years of prior service with the 103rd Regiment, swore his oath in Calgary the next day on January 1, 1915.

The 10 Company's diary records that on November 4, 1917, 10th Company was in the Passchendaele Sector in billets at Caestre, having been relieved two days earlier by the 4th Coy., C.M.G., after being heavily engaged on November 1. The Company's diary recorded that the weather was fine that day with no other details of note. Yet, the burial records for Walter and WIlliam both record November 4 as their date of death.

My question to forum members: Does anyone know of any action that members of the 10th Company may have seen on the 4th? Or were Walter and William both wounded on November 1 and just coincidentally passed away on the same day, three days later?

Thank you so much for any advice or comments you may have,

John A-G

Jackson, Missouri USA

I also see April 11th, 1917 as the date of their deaths. Here are the links for the Canadian Virtual War Memorial:

William George White, 434115

Walter Ernest White, 434353

The 10th Canadian Machine Gun Corps war diary page for April 11th, 1917 gives few details, but does show them participating in the Vimy offensive: Link to War Diary Page.

Cripes! Thanks so much guys. I am blushing over such a goofy blunder on transcribing the date! :blush:

Well that certainly clears up some of the mystery.

Thank you, again.

John

If you're still looking for info on them, try the Calgary newspapers starting about a week after the battle. I would imagine that this kind of thing would have resulted in a write-up. Searching will be a little tedious, but may be worth it in the end."

Thank you Ken. I spent most of last night going through Calgary newspapers, but no luck yet. However, it is a great lead and I appreciate the link. I will keep "spinning the reels" with hope of finding a mention of the brothers.

John

The 10th Canadian MGC was absorbed into the 4th Canadian Machine Gun Battalion in March 1917. However that unit appears to have War Diary entries for 1918-1919 and nothing in 1917. More checking is required, perhaps the Stewart reference is incorrect?

The MATRIX reports this:

The Canadian Machine Gun Corps was organized in France on 16 April 1917 under Canadian Routine Order 558 of 22 February 1917. The corps was to take entire charge of the machine guns of the Canadian Corps and was composed of: (a) Machine Gun Squadron, Canadian Cavalry Brigade; (b ) machine gun companies; (c ) 1st Motor Machine Gun Brigade and motor machine gun batteries; and (d) a depot was organized in England on 4 January 1917 (under Canadian Routine Order 150 of same date). Brigade machine gun companies were detached from their respective brigades on 8 September 1917 and formed the companies of the different divisional machine gun battalions.

I would say that of all the units I have investigated the machine gun groups are the most confusing. Brett Payne at the CEFSG has a great understanding of their history!