Brothers who died on the same date!

aliecoco

Just found this newspaper snippet.

post-7172-0-71615700-1386155463_thumb.jp

The two that died were:
SLADE, GEORGE WILLIAM
Service No: 5808
Date of Death: 09/09/1916
Regiment/Service: London Regiment (Queen Victoria's Rifles) "D" Coy. 1st/9th Bn.
Panel Reference Pier and Face 9 C.
Memorial THIEPVAL MEMORIAL
Additional Information:
Son of William E. Slade, of 89, Longley Rd., Harrow, Middx.
SLADE, FRED
Service No: 5872
Date of Death: 09/09/1916
Regiment/Service: London Regiment (Queen Victoria's Rifles) "D" Coy. 1st/9th Bn.
Grave Reference XV. E. 12.
Cemetery SERRE ROAD CEMETERY No.2
Additional Information:
Son of William and E. Slade, of 89, Longley Rd., Harrow, Middx.
Does anyone know who the wounded brother is?

David the third brother will have been Henry

1911 census

name: George Slade

Age in 1911: 28

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1883

Relation to Head: Son

Birth Place: Knutsford, Cheshire, England

Civil Parish: Pinner

County/Island: Middlesex

Street Address: Neotsford, Longley Road, Wealdstone

Marital Status: Single

Household Members:

Name Age

William Slade 53

Emma Slade 49

George Slade 28

Henry Slade 26

Fred Slade 17

regards Ray

edit

Pte Henry Slade 5754 9th London Regiment

780767/ 780767 29th London Regiment

enlisted 27/11/15 discharged 6/3/19 wounds SWB no 473544 age 34

Three Vickers brothers are honoured on the memorial at St Werburgh's RC Church in Chester. Percy Vickers died at Gallipoli and the other two brothers on 1st July 1916 - a sad and fateful day.

We are hoping to publish a book on the fallen parishioners of St Werburg's, so any additional information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

VICKERS, LOUIS
Initials: L
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Warwickshire Regiment
Unit Text: 2nd/5th Bn.
Date of Death: 01/07/1916
Service No: 7321
Additional information: Son of Joseph and Mary Vickers, of 15, Milford St., Seedley, Manchester. Born at Chester.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: I. J. 13.
Cemetery: RUE-DU-BACQUEROT No.1 MILITARY CEMETERY, LAVENTIE

VICKERS, HARRY
Initials: H
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Lancashire Fusiliers
Unit Text: 15th Bn.
Date of Death: 01/07/1916
Service No: 10265
Additional information: Son of Joseph and Mary Vickers, of 15, Milford St., Seedley, Manchester. Enlisted Nov., 1914. One of three brothers who fell.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 3 C and 3 D.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

• 5 weeks later...

On a visit to the Somme we visited Noreuil Australian Cemetery and found two brothers buried in adjacent graves.

They were;

Pte 3545 Edward Charles Clayton killed on 12/4/1917 age 29. 52nd Battalion Australian Infantry A.I.F.

Pte 5074 William Alfred Clayton killed 12/04/1917 age 42. 52nd Battalion Australian Infantry A.I.F.

Both were the sons of Joseph and Selina Clayton of Dover, Tasmania.

Contact with the local museum at Dover, Tasmania established a story that whilst they had been placed in separate sections two reduce the

risk, they were in fact walking back from the front line together when they were both killed by the same shell explosion.

A number of their other sons fell in the war.

Another pair which I don't think are noted previously:

Major Ralph Broomfield Pritchard, DSO,MC,MIDx2, 27th(Tyneside Irish)Bn Northumberland Fusiliers attached 2nd Bn The Lincolnshire Regt. Severley wounded whilst leading his men in a counter attack near Ypres on 16/4/18 and died from his wounds on 26/4/18. Age 25.

His younger brother:

2/Lt William Alwyn Pritchard, 3/DLI att'd 1st Bn The Wiltshire Regt., was killed in action during the fighting at Mont Kemmel on 26/4/18. Age 23.

Here is the memory card of Two Brothers killed on the same day at Loos

post-748-0-39276200-1389620993_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Just doing some 'stuff' for the IFCP and came across these two.

MASSON, W M D (William Maitland Douglas)

Service No: 3185

Date of Death: 01/09/1918

Regiment/Service: Australian Infantry, A.I.F. 53rd Bn.

Grave Reference V. C. 9.

Cemetery PERONNE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

MASSON, H ( Henry)

Service No: 3191

Date of Death: 01/09/1918

Regiment/Service: Australian Infantry, A.I.F. 53rd Bn.

Grave Reference I. B. 22.

Cemetery PERONNE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Both brothers, from Newcastle, New South Wales. Four of them signed up. Adam survived the war, but Albert was not so lucky. He died 08 December 1918 of Pneumonia and is buried in Le Cateau Communal Cemetery. There is no mention of the link on the CWGC Debt of Honour, but it's there in their service records.

Rest in peace soldier boy's. :poppy:

Cheers Andy

I have searched this topic and cannot find the name ' NOTT' so I will post there names.

Lt Col. Thomas Walker Nott DSO and his younger brother Capt. Louis Cameron Nott MC.

They were both klilled on the same day at the same time. Both were in Battalion HQ's which was in a cellar at

Villers Faucon. At 0355 hrs the enemy exploded a mine on a time delay fuse under the cellar. 4 other Officers

were also killed. Their youngest brother Capt. Henry Paton Nott had been killed a year earlier in Hebuterne.

All 3 were Officers of the 1/6th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment.

Regards,

Simon.

• 4 months later...

Evan Salmon and David Salmon of Lowlands, Narbeth enlisted in RFA on 11th May 1915 (as 98763 and 98764). On 4th June 1915 they transferred to RWF and both posted to 1st Bn 18th December 1915, arriving with the Bn in the field 31st December 1915.

On 6th February 1916 the battalion moved into support at 12 noon at Citadel dugouts. During enemy shelling casualties incurred were 2 Killed, 5 Wounded.

David Salmon was killed.

Evan Salmon was wounded and died of wounds following day.

SALMON, DAVID
Rank: Private Service No: 31204 Date of Death: 06/02/1916 Age: 21 Regiment/Service: Royal Welsh Fusiliers 1st Bn. Grave Reference: B. 8. Cemetery: POINT 110 NEW MILITARY CEMETERY, FRICOURT Additional Information: Son of John and Sarah Salmon, of "Lowlands," Narberth, South Wales
SALMON, EVAN
Rank: Private Service No: 31203 Date of Death: 07/02/1916 Age: 23 Regiment/Service: Royal Welsh Fusiliers 1st Bn. Grave Reference: Plot I. Row D. Grave 28. Cemetery: CORBIE COMMUNAL CEMETERY Additional Information: Son of John and Sarah Salmon, of Lowlands, Narberth, South Wales.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all,

CRAIG, SAMUEL

Rifleman

Service No:

Date of Death:

01/07/1916

Regiment/Service:

Royal Irish Rifles

12th Bn.

Grave Reference:

XI. M. 5.

Cemetery:

SERRE ROAD CEMETERY No.

CRAIG, ALEXANDER

Rifleman

Service No:

Date of Death:

01/07/1916

Regiment/Service:

Royal Irish Rifles

12th Bn.

Panel Reference:

Pier and Face 15 A and 15 B.

Memorial:

THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Rifleman

Service No:

Date of Death:

01/07/1916

Regiment/Service:

Royal Irish Rifles

12th Bn.

Panel Reference:

Pier and Face 15 A and 15 B.

Memorial:

THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Source: Somme 1914-18, Lessons in War by Martin Marix Evans. The History Press. © 2010 Page 100.

"Twenty three men from Bushmills died that day, of whom only six have known graves. Alex Craig was twenty-seven. His youngest brother, Samuel, was twenty."

Regards, footsore private

Edited by footsore private

• 2 weeks later...

The Fisher brothers referred to in post 40 were from Bolton. I noticed in the Bolton Journal 08/08/1924 In Memoriam column " Albert, Mat and Jack Fisher. Killed at Suvla Bay 09/08/1915. Father, Mother and Brothers 280 Deane Church Lane". SDGW shows all were serving in 6th Loyal North Lancs and that Albert died on the 9th, Matthew and John on the 10th. There is a report in the Bolton Journal of 03/09/1915 which I will copy tomorrow. I also posted this on Three Sons Killed in Action in Classic Threads.

• 2 weeks later...

I copied the cutting from the Bolton Journal about the three Fisher brothers. All were serving with 6th Bn Loyal North Lancashire Regt. 6 LNL was a New Army Battalion, part of 13th Division, one of the three New Army Divisions sent to Gallipoli as reinforcements. The brothers were pictured and the report also mentioned that another brother, Harry, had been wounded in France. I refreshed my memory on the events of 9 and 10/08/1915 at Suvla on TLLT and also reached for my Rhodes James. Chapter 11 The Fight for Sari Bair describes the Turkish counter attack on 10/08. It coincided with my quarterly trip to TNA so I was able to study the WD for 6 LNL as well (WO 95/4302). They embarked at Avonmouth on 15/06/1915 and landed at Cape Helles on 06/07. They went into the trenches until 31/07 when they were moved to Lemnos. They were landed at ANZAC on the night of 04/08 and were ordered to relieve the Aukland Bn of the New Zealand Brigade on Chunuk Bair on 09/08. The WD records that at about 4.45 am on 10/08 the enemy attacked in force and goes on to describe the fighting. Losses were killed 3, wounded 30, missing 445.

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think that these two have been mentioned in this thread - apologies if they have, and I have missed them.

Brothers Pte. Hugh Paton 41067 (aged 31 approx), and Pte. John A. Paton 41043 (aged 26 approx), both of 1st Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers, were killed in action on the same day, 28th March 1918, between Bapaume and Arras in the German Spring Offensive. Their bodies were never identified, and both are commemorated on the Arras Memorial

The 1911 Scottish census has the 11 family members - 8 sons and 2 daughters living with their widowed mother - at 28 Mill Lane, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire.

William

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if anyone even knows that these were brothers since they used different surnames and were serving in different regiments.

L/Cpl Charles McDermott O'Donald (or Herd), SN: 46, 1 Black Watch.

He was a recalled reservist who was working as a postman in Lethnot, Angus.

Pte James Herd SN: 10606, 1 Seaforth Highlanders. (His birth was registered as Patrick O'Donald).

He was a regular serving in India when war broke out. Before enlisting he was living in Forfar and probably Aberdeen.

(They were illegitimate. Their mother was Caroline Herd and their father was John O'Donald.)

They were killed on 9 May 1915. Neither has a known grave and they are commemorated on the Le Touret memorial.

Their other brother (or half brother) seems to have been James Herd, SN: 2201, 2 Black Watch, who was killed on 9 November 1914. He is buried in Brown's Road cemetery.

R.

• 3 months later...

I know some work has been done on Brothers killed at Jutland, but has mention been made of Frederick William Wood and Arthur Oswald Wood?

Both were members of the Royal Marines Band aboard HMS Queen Mary.

Both have CWGC details listed as:

Son of J. Wood (late W.O., R.F.A.) and H. L. Wood, of 10, Kimberley Rd., Southsea, Portsmouth. Born at Worcester.

Can I couple this with a question? - does anyone know of the existence of a picture of the band on HMS Queen Mary?

Regards,

Mike

Mike

Why not start a new topic with your question? People who know about the band on HMS Queen Mary are not necessarily going to be looking at a thread about two brothers dying on the same day. "If in doubt, start a new thread" that's my Great War Forum motto...... :thumbsup:

William

William,

Firstly, I hope you are keeping well.

Secondly, I will do just that. Thanks for the advice.

Regards,

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I've more research to do on this pair of brothers serving in the AIF.

Pte. James Little Harper, 3714, 52 Battalion, Australian Infantry, aged 20, kia 4 September 1916

Pte. Robert Emslie Harper, 3715, 52 Battalion, Australian Infantry, aged 23, kia 3-4 September 1916.

They were the sons of Alexander and Jane Harper of Golden Grove, South Australia.

They are two of six cousins commemorated on their grandparents' gravestone in Fettercairn (Kincardineshire) churchyard.

RM

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently researching 170 Infantry Brigade on 26/10/1917 and found these in SDGW:

Edward Flood 242002 2/5 Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regt, K in A 26/10/1917 and James Flood 241999 2/5 KORL, K in A 26/10/1917.

2/5 KORL was the support Bn to 2/4, 2/5 and 4/5 Loyal North Lancashire and was committed early on in the attack between Poelcappelle and Schaap-Balie.

The Blackburn Times 08/12/1917 confirms that they were brothers of 58 Bonsall Terrace, Mill Hill, Blackburn and that they were both reported missing on that date. They were pictured with their brothers John, William and Thomas, all serving. The Blackburn Times 11/05/1918 reported that Thomas had been Killed in Action on 09/04/1918 and pictured both him and Edward, who had been officially declared Killed in Action. The Blackburn Weekly Telegraph 01/06/1918 pictured James and reported that he was also officially presumed K in A.

Edited by brianmorris547

• 2 weeks later...

The Bolton Journal and Guardian 18/08/1916 pictured brothers Harry and Ralph Unsworth, of 22 Whittle Grove, Bolton. Both were serving with the Royal Scots. Harry was reported killed in action on 01/07/1916 and Ralph was reported missing in action on the same date. The BJG 23/03/1917 pictured Ralph and reported that he was now presumed killed on 01/07/1916.

SDGW shows Harry, 15 Bn Royal Scots 25198 and Ralph, 15 Bn Royal Scots 18029 both K in A 01/07/1916.

Edited by brianmorris547

The Bolton Journal and Guardian 22/03/1918 pictured brothers Samuel and James Ainsworth of 88 Chorley Old Rd, who were both reported Missing in Action on 11/05/1917 serving with the Manchester Regiment. They were presumed to have been killed on that date.

SDGW

Samuel Ainsworth 49571 21st Bn Manchester Regt 11/05/1917.

James Ainsworth 49553 21st Bn Manchester Regt 11/05/1917.

The Bolton Journal and Guardian 18/08/1916 pictured brothers Lt Ernest Blackburn and 2/Lt Edward Blackburn of Greenmount, Heaton, Bolton, who were both killed in action on 09/08/1916 at Guillemont. They were serving with 1/5 Loyal North Lancs and were both Old Boys of Bolton Grammar School.

Confirmed on SDGW.

• 1 month later...

I am doing research into New Zealand families that lost three or more sons during WWI and was wondering if anybody had any families that I might have missed. They do not have to have served with the NZEF as long as there is a strong tangible connection to New Zealand. Their death also has to be directly connected to the war.

Please post with any families you know of.

Thanks

(P.s. I already have a large portion of hem, I am making sure I haven't missed anyone)

hello

how would one know if you have missed any ? theres no list

I know that there is no list, I have made one, but I believe I am still missing families that had sons/daughters serving in other armies or their NZ records were incomplete which would mean I would be unable to confirm if they were brothers or not, however, if anyone knows of any families that I was likely to have missed because of these reasons then let me know