Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusual memorials in Huy (La Sarte) Communal Cem, Belgium

SRDjar

Hello Pals

Here is another post to rack your brains (I KNOW you all like that !):

When you visit the communal cemetery at Huy-La Sarte (the one overlooking the Meuse valley and the atomic plant [shades of Springfield here] at the top of the road leading south-east from the town centre, mid-way between Namur and Liège), you immediately notice three stone memorials commemorating (if memory serves) Guardsmen who passed away at the very end of the war (or just after the Armistice). All three are grave markers of the same design and they stand among the Commission headstones. Unfortunately, my memories of the spot are a bit hazy after all these years but I dearly would like to know who erected them (perhaps their Regiment or the local authorities as a gesture of thanks ?). One thing I know for certain is that the 50th (Northumbrian) CCS was established at Huy between January and March 1919; I suppose these men were treated and died in them, as did the 106 other casualties buried up there. Being off the beaten track, this old cemetery is rarely visited but is well worth the detour, only for the vista it gives.

Can someone enlighten me about these 'mystery' markers ? (Marco, Terry ?)

Thanks for your anxiously awaited replies.

SRD jar

IN RESPECTFUL MEMORY OF TWO BROTHERS, L/CPL ANDREW AND PTE DAVID MOREAU FROM

EDIMBURGH.

THEY BOTH DIED OF PNEUMONIA ON 7 DECEMBER 1918 AND WERE AGED 26 AND 28

RESPECTIVELY. THEY REST IN HUY (La Sarte) COMMUNAL CEMETERY (1.A.21 and 22).

THEIR MEMORY LIVETH.

Jean,

I cannot comment on the style of their grave markers, but I just wonder whether they were victims of the 1918 'flu pandemic?

Ian

Jean,

I cannot comment on the style of their grave markers, but I just wonder whether they were victims of the 1918 'flu pandemic?

Ian

Hi Ian

I suppose you are right about their cause of death but I wanted to know who erected those

unusual memorials/tombstones. Unluckily I cannot post any pic as...well, I have none !

Thanks for your post anyway. I'll try to get in touch with the local History Society or whatever;

maybe they can shed some light on this...

Regards

SRD jar