Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brothers who died on the same date!

aliecoco

#McG166 Pte William Dalgleish, Ford, PPCLI

Was Killed the same day as his Brother, #110167 Cpl Eric Allan, Ford

2nd June 1916 During the Fighting at Sanctuary Wood.

"...On the afternoon of June 2nd, 1916 he was in the forward trenches in Sanctuary Wood, with his brother, when he was killed in the German trench mortar bombardment at the Loop...."

mcg166ptewilliamdalglei.jpg

#110167 Cpl Eric Allan,Ford, PPCLI

Was Killed the same day as his Brother, #McG166 Pte William Dalgleish, Ford, PPCLI

"...On the afternoon of June 2nd, 1916 he was with his men in the advanced position in Sanctuary Wood , when he was killed in the inundation of German trench mortar fire that hit the posts at the Loop..."

110167cplericallanfordp.jpg

• 1 month later...

In my local Church in Ascot, Berks, is a memorial tablet to 2 brothers who died on teh same day - 24th Sept 1914.

Lt Oscar William Tottie was on HMS Aboukir when it was sunk in August 1914 and died of his wounds.

2nd Lt Harold Eric Tottie was wounded in at teh Battle of Aisne and buried in Vailly Brtish Cemetery.

I have found alot of information on HMS Aboukir and its loss, but would like to know if anyone has a picture of these brother or can help with a date when H E Tottie was wounded with the 1st NF / where he may have been when wounded etc.

I hope to provide the church with some information on these Brothers for this years Remembrance Day and any availale pictures of the, would help greaty.

Here is the memorial tablet For anyone's interest.

Thanks very much.

Alan

post-6503-009989800 1285948606.jpg

Hi Alan,

I can supply you with a photo and some details of Lieut E.H.Tottie of the 1/Northumberland Fusiliers, I'm not quite so sure about his brother, but I need to have a look when I am at home. I should be able to contact you tomorrow or possibly later tonight, I will let know what I have.

Robert

De Ruvigny states 2nd Lieut E H Tottie "died 22nd Sept 1914, from wounds received in action at the Battle of the Aisne on the 19th of that month". Gives the additional information he was 5th Foot.

Hi Alan,

I have now had a look and have located photos of each of the brothers. I can copy these and will send them to you next week--please could you PM me your email?

Eric Harald Tottie was killed during the fighting in the Aisne region of France and was mortally wounded within 4 days of joining his battalion at the front. He was educated at Winchester and the RMC Sandhurst--I have no record of where his brother was educated but will see what I can find.

Robert

Hi Alan,

I now have copies of the photos and some details. If you could PM me your snail-mail address I will post these to you.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have the trios to two brothers killed on the same day at Gallipoli:

Capt Rees Tudor Evans and 2/Lt Richard Stanley Evans, both 5th Bn The Welsh Regt, both killed in action 10th August, 1915. Commemorated on the Helles Memorial.

Robert

Do you have these already?

Name: FAIRBAIRN, ARTHUR WEST

Initials: A W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

Unit Text: "C" Coy. 1st/6th Bn.

Date of Death: 05/05/1915

Service No: 1329

Additional information: Son of George E. and Jessie F. Fairbairn, of "Rowallan," Blundellsands, Liverpool.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 4 and 6.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1611898

Name: FAIRBAIRN, WILLIAM RITCHIE

Initials: W R

Regiment/Service: The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

Unit Text: 1st/6th Bn.

Date of Death: 05/05/1915

Service No: 1330

Additional information: Son of George E. and Jessie F. Fairbairn, of "Rowallan," Blundellsands, Liverpool.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 4 and 6.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1611904

Adrian

Hi

Here is some Conflicting information from CWGC Site

on two brothers

Private FREDERICK SMITH

42397, 14th Bn., Worcestershire Regiment

who died age 19 on 21 March 1918

Son of Thomas W. and Jane Smith, of 13, Broadway West, Dormanstown, Redcar, Yorks. His brother Joseph Henry also fell. On the same day

Remembered with honour

ARRAS MEMORIAL

Private JOSEPH HENRY SMITH

16802, 2nd Bn., Yorkshire Regiment

who died age 24

on 22 March 1918

Son of Thomas William and Jane Smith, of 13, Broadway West, Dormanstown, Redcar.

Remembered with honour

POZIERES MEMORIAL

did they die on the same day or not ?

I have the family Commemoration stone the inscription reads KIlled in action March 1918

regards Ray

According to SDGW dates are as above in CWGC info

Alfred Edward and George COLYER, sons of Alfred COLYER 21 Cromer St, Grays Inn Road, London both killed in action 6/7/1916 at Mametz Wood with 14th Bn Royal Welsh Fusilers.

George

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=758709

Alfred

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=549041

(Linked via their respective Service papers)

Robert Evan and Hugh John JONES of 14th Bn Royal Welsh Fusiliers.Son of Evan and Jane Jones, of 24, Romer Rd., Kensington, Liverpool (Previously of Bangor, Caernarfonshire). Robert died of wounds 24/12/1915 and Hugh John 'killed in action' same day. They would have only been in the trenches a day or so and were still under instructions.

Robert

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=540805

Hugh

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=597967

(Local paper, Bangor, Caernarfonshire:Sympathy is felt in Bangor for Mr and Mrs Evan Jones, formerly of Bangor in the loss of their two sons R E and H J Jones who were both killed in France on the 26th December last. Both Lads were with the 14th RWF, the youngest R E in B Coy and his brother in D Coy. The latter met his death by the collapse of a dugout after heavy rain and the former as a result of a shell wound. Mr and Mrs Jones, who now live in Romer Road, Kensington, Liverpool have received letters of sympathy from the Company Captains and from the Rev J Grey Rogers, Chaplain of the Guards Division to which the 14th RWF was temporarily attached. Both Boys were well known and very popular in Bangor.)

CASEY, Private, PATRICK, 8/2869, 1st Bn., Otago Regiment, N.Z.E.F., Killed in action 27 September 1916. Age 29. Son of John and Honoria Casey, of Otara, Southland.

CASEY, Private, WILLIAM, 8/2870, 1st Bn., Otago Regiment, N.Z.E.F., Killed in action 27 September 1916. Age 21. Son of John and Honoria Casey, of Otara, Southland.

MACKENZIE, Corporal, GEORGE DOUGLAS, 8/12819, 1st Bn., Otago Regiment, N.Z.E.F., Killed in action 27 September 1916. Age 23. Son of Alexander and Beatrice Mackenzie, of Bann St., Bluff, Southland.

MACKENZIE, Lance Corporal, IAN ROY, 8/2990, 1st Bn., Otago Regiment, N.Z.E.F., Killed in action 27 September 1916. Age 21. Son of Alexander and Beatrice Mackenzie, of Bann St., Bluff, Southland.

• 1 month later...

The below two brothers from Shotton, Flintshire (Shown as Chester in the returns)

Consecutive numbers, same Company, same Battalion

Name: ROGERS, DOUGLAS

Initials: D

Regiment/Service: Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Unit Text: "B" Coy. 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 07/08/1915

Service No: 12785

Additional information: Son of William and Mary Maria Rogers, of 9, Salisbury St., Shotton, Chester.

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. F. 14.

Cemetery: SHRAPNEL VALLEY CEMETERY

Name: ROGERS, EDGAR

Initials: E

Regiment/Service: Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Unit Text: "B" Coy. 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 08/08/1915

Service No: 12786

Additional information: Son of William and Mary Rogers, of 9. Salisbury St., Shotton, Chester.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 77 to 80.

Memorial: HELLES MEMORIAL

• 4 weeks later...

Frederick James Adams - Private 8th Battalion AIF

Edgar Robert Adams - Private 8th Battalion AIF

Of Mildura, Victoria. Both killed at Gallipoli on April 25, 1915

Frederick is buried at Shell Green Cemetery. Edgar died after being taken prisoner.

• 1 month later...

This is possibly a case of two brothers being mortally wounded on the same day and on the same battlefield, but dying on different days.

Capt Daniel MacDougald COWIE, 10/11th Highland Light Infantry, DOW on 17/9/1916 after the attack on Martinpuich and was buried in Millencourt Communal Cemetery Extension. In the same division his brother, 2/Lt William Cowie, 13th Royal Scots, DOW 28/9/1916 and was buried at Etaples Military Cemetery. The 13th also attacked Martinpuich on the 15th and seems not to have been in later attacks before the 28th.

Of course, there may have been a day or two between their woundings. Can anyone give any more specific information please?

The Cowie family were originally from Lanarkshire, but had migrated to Australia (NSW) before the war. A third brother, Lt James Cowie, served in the 9th HLI and the 7th Duke of Wellington's. He appears to have survived the war.

I shall add the latest posts to the LLT in due course. I have a backlog of about 30 sets of brothers to add, but it is taking a back seat to a major site overhaul I am currently carrying out.

Chris, These are mentioned in Joshua Levine, Fighter Heroes of WW1 and confirmed by CWGC:

Pvte Bertie Murton, a21, 7th Norfolks, L/Cpl Ernest Paul Murton, a28, 7th Norfolks, both KIA 13 October 1915. Commemorated on Loos Memorial.

".....This is is possibly a case of two brothers being mortally wounded on the same day and on the same battlefield, but dying on different days......"

Frederick James ADAMS was killed on the night of the landing or early the next morning

Edgar Robert ADAMS Red Cross file says he was wounded after the landings and seen as he was taken prisoner by Turkish soldiers, he was not heard of again

Their dates of death are entered as April 25, 1915

• 1 month later...

5292, pte. Michael Hayden, 5th Connaught Rangers and his brother 4682, pte Thomas Hayden same unit kia on 7th December 1915.

Natives of Longford, Ireland. Remembered on Doiran memorial.

Liz of Eastbourne kindly checked William Cowie's personal record at Kew and it confirms that he was mortally wounded the same day as his brother, Daniel, 15 September 1916.

• 1 month later...

During the fighting in the Hindenburg Line in the area of Fontaine-lez-Croisilles in May 1917 the following two brothers were both sadly killed on the same day - another unfortunate pair to add to the list.

Name:FRAME, ADAM DICKSONInitials:A DNationality:United KingdomRank:PrivateRegiment/Service:Highland Light InfantryUnit Text:9th (Glasgow Hds.) Bn.Age:21Date of Death:27/05/1917Service No:332364Additional information:Son of James and Jane Dickson Frame, of 32, Waterloo Rd., Lanark.Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:Bay 8.Memorial:ARRAS MEMORIAL

Name:FRAME, JAMES CRAWFORDInitials:J CNationality:United KingdomRank:PrivateRegiment/Service:Highland Light InfantryUnit Text:9th (Glasgow Hds.) Bn.Age:21Date of Death:27/05/1917Service No:332363Additional information:Son of James and Jane Dickson Frame, of 32, Waterloo Rd., Lanark.Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:Bay 8.Memorial:ARRAS MEMORIAL

Both are aged 21 which could mean they were twins - or could be coincidence. Both have MICs on Ancestry but no service records. They also appear on the 1901 census aged 5 and came from Carmichael Lanarkshire.

Kind Regards

CWT

• 3 months later...

I'm aware that this is in the wrong location but I can't see how to post it in the right one!

I came across a headstone in Anstruther Wester Churchyard - the church is now derelict a in danger of collapse - recording the deaths of the two brothers, Robert Archibald and William Murray Archibald, Royal Scots, on the 1st July 1916. I don't think that they are recorded in the 'Brothers who died on the same Day' section. They appear to be:

ARCHIBALD, ROBERT

Initials: R

Regiment/Service: Royal Scots

Unit Text: 16th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Service No: 18791

Additional information: Son of Robert Bruce Archibald and Elizabeth Archibald, of Tobago, British West Indies; husband of Isabel Armstrong Cameron Archibald, of 1, Trafalgar Rd., Twickenham, Middx.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 6 D and 7 D.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

and

Name: ARCHIBALD

Initials: W M

Regiment/Service: Royal Scots

Unit Text: 16th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Service No: 18792

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. O. 6.

Cemetery: GORDON DUMP CEMETERY, OVILLERS-LA BOISSELLE

Here is a photo of the grave.

Regards

Carninyj

post-3682-0-62878800-1316506864.jpg

• Admin

If you PM Chris Baker I am sure he will add them to the list.They joined up together and died together :poppy:

Michelle