Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brothers who died on the same date!

aliecoco

Hello,

Another pair of brothers killed the same day, who appear in the Book of Honour for the border village of Hanmer, Wrexham (formerly in Flintshire). Despite the SDGW details below they were Hanmer born & bred: the village is postally under Whitchurch but a mile or more within Wales!

PHILLIPS, FREDERICK - Private 23058, 16th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers

born and living Whitchurch, Shropshire

enlisted at Wrexham January 1915

Killed in action, Mametz Wood, Somme 11th July 1916

Thiepval Memorial pier & face 4A

PHILLIPS, WILLIAM ARTHUR- Private 18078, 16th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers

born and living Whitchurch, Shropshire

enlisted at Wrexham November 1914

Killed in action, Mametz Wood, Somme 11th July 1916

Thiepval Memorial pier & face 4A

A third brother, SYDNEY PHILLIPS, also enlisted in the 16th RWF in January 1915 and served in France, according to the Book of Honour, which has a (faded) photo of all three together. He appears to have survived.

The Book of Honour apparently wrongly dates their deaths on 10th July 1916; but given the confusion and the system of casualty recording, the former date is not entirely impossible.

LST_164

• 7 months later...

Father and Son: Lt Col H Moorhouse batt commander and his Company commander Son Ronald in same battalion. Tyne Cot memorial.

Father and Son: Major ? Campbell Le Touret memorial and his Son Lt David? Campbell Essex Farm CWGC.

Chris, are you adding father's and Son's to this list or do they have a separate list?

• 4 months later...
A telegram was sent for each casualty; I know for sure the Pannell family from Worthing, who lost three sons on 30th June 1916, had a telegram for each one of them, and a fourth for the one who was Missing, believed POW.

Does anyone have such a telegram? Can't say why but I would like to see one.

Does anyone have such a telegram? Can't say why but I would like to see one.

An internet search should find one relatively easily, I'd have thought. Bear in mind telegrams were only sent about officers.

The standard wording is along the lines of "Capt John Hartley, Cheshire Rgt, killed in action, 23 December. War Council sends its regrets."

If someone is collating a list of brothers who died on the same day -

Lt Holt Montgomery Hewitt, 109th Machine Gun Corps and Second Lt William Arthur Hewitt, 9th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers both died 1.7.1916

More details and pictures of both brothers are on my website - details in my signature.

Regards

Alan

All updated. Thank you. Click here.

Chris

I do not see Destrube brothers: Charles aged 27 and Paul aged 26. Both were serving with the 22nd Royal Fusiliers, and both died on the 17th of February 1917. They are buried together in Plot 4, row C Seere No2 Cemetery.

On the list

The Chenier brothers, serving in The Royal Canadian Regiment, both died on 9 April 1917.

OLIVIER CHENIER

In memory of Private OLIVIER CHENIER who died on April 9, 1917

Service Number: 814814

Unit: Royal Canadian Regiment

Son of Janvier Chenier, of Buckingham, Quebec.

WILFRED CHENIER

In memory of Private WILFRED CHENIER who died on April 9, 1917

Service Number: 814813

Unit: Royal Canadian Regiment

Son of Janvier Chenier, of Buckingham, Quebec.

Chris

Sorry to add to your work load updating the brothers who died on the same day but here are another two for you.

Albert Noakes

and

Nelson Noakes

Details of these two can be found on my website click on their names for the individual link & feel free to use any of the info on my website for your upload. Albert has an unusual story that I have not been able to get to the bottom of, his body was found 6 miles from where he died! Perhaps Terry can shed some light with his access to the CWGC records?

Any information on this mystery will be most gratefully received.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across these two brothers from Tasmania, Aus, who died on the 31/3/1917.

William Welsh LINTON (2932) 52nd Bn, AIF is commemmorated on the Villers-Bret Memorial

Thomas LINTON (444) 51st Bn, AIF is buried at Aveluy Communal Cemetery Extension.

They had two other brothers who returned home.

Cheers, Frev

From the Gallipoli Brothers thread, also in the Classic Threads forum:

You may be interested to know that of the 190 sets of brothers who BOTH died ON Gallipoli, a staggering 74 sets died together on the same day! In addition there is one set of brothers who both died on the same day, one on Gallipoli, one in France and Flanders. Statistics that hide so much pain.

I don't know how many of those 74 sets (as at Sept 15th 2006) you have listed on the 'brothers' page, but I don't think the following is one of them:

Major Frank Statham and Corporal Clive Statham

I came across this reference in course of some research which forum members may be interested in:

“BROTHERS DIE TOGETHER

KILLED BY ONE SHELL

There appears to be little doubt that Major Frank Statham and Corporal Clive Statham of Dunedin, were killed in action. Writing from the trenches to Mr C H Statham, Lieutenant L G Wilson, adjutant of the Otago Battalion, 10th North Otago Regiment, to which both Mr Statham’s sons were attached, says: “The battalion was almost decimated, and the only information we could get was one man’s statement that he had seen the major wounded and in an unconscious state early in the afternoon. After that he had not seen him. Now, however, three men who were wounded state that the major and Clive were standing together and were killed by the explosion of one shell, which landed very close to them. Beyond that I regret that I have been unable to gain any more details. It has been a terrible business and a loss that will never be fully realised. The major, as an officer among officers, was placed on the highest pedestal of respect and admiration, by the men was loved, and was a born leader. In every operation in which our battalion was engaged it was the major and his company who led the offensive.”

Source: Auckland Weekly News November 4, 1915 page 21

Nominal roll details:

Surname STATHAM

Given Name Frank Hadfield

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 8/977a

Rank Major

Body or Draft Main Body

Unit or Regiment Otago Infantry Batln

Marital Status M

Last NZ Address Otago

Next of Kin Title Mrs Mary P

Next of Kin Surname STATHAM

Next of Kin Relationship Wife

Next of Kin Address C/- C H Statham 26 Dowling St Dunedin

Surname STATHAM

Given Name Clive Heathcote Falk

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 8/801

Rank Corporal

Body or Draft Main Body

Unit or Regiment Otago Infantry Batln

Marital Status S

Last NZ Address Te Rua Takapau

Next of Kin Title Charles H

Next of Kin Surname STATHAM

Next of Kin Relationship Father

Next of Kin Address Mornington Dunedin

Charles Bean in his book the Story of Anzac Vol 2 (page 580 / 692) also refers to these two brothers being killed on Chunuk Bair on 9 August 1915. Bean makes the following statement:

“About 5 am, while the Turkish attack upon them was still at its height, three high explosive howitzer shells, coming from the right rear, burst among them, one exploding in the front trench, and killing the gallant Major Statham (accountant; of St Leonard’s Otago NZ; b Dunedin NZ 31 Dec 1879) together with his brother beside him, (sheep farmer; of Takapau, Hawkes Bay NZ; b Dunedin, NZ, 23 Sept 1892) as well as Sergeant-Major Porteous (MID Member of NZ Permanent Forces, of Oamaru and Dunedin NZ; b Dunedin 23 July 1875) and six of seven men. The shells almost certainly came from one of the howitzer batteries inside the old Anzac lines.”

Richard Stowers also refers to the brothers in his 2005 book Bloody Gallipoli The New Zealanders’ Story – pages 188 / 362. Stowers refers to Colonel Meldrum (Wellington Mounted Rifles) who was there at the time as being “convinced that Statham was killed by a Royal Navy shell.” I don’t think anyone will know for certain.

Anyone looking for photos of the two brothers can find them in The Auckland Weekly News Nov 4, 1915 page 30- centre of the page.

Zack

There were 6 sets of brothers in the NZEF who died on the 8th of August 1915, and another two sets who died 8th/9th August. Bob Pike probably has a nice long list somewhere!

Allie

• 2 weeks later...

Sheffield Daily Indepedent 20.07.1916

Three brothers from my site - two killed the same day

Steve

TAYLOR BOUSTEAD age 27 Pte 7th Border Rgt 23rd April 1917

Son of the late Christopher Murray Boustead and Annie Boustead

LAURENCE BOUSTEAD age 30 Pte 7th Border Rgt 23rd April 1917

Son of the late Christopher Murray Boustead and Annie Boustead.

WALLACE BOUSTEAD age 30 Pte 10th Border Rgt 14th June 1918

Son of the late Christopher Murray Boustead and Annie Boustead.

• 1 month later...

Just checked my database and have three sets of brothers fromt he 1/13 London Regt killed on the 9 May 1915 - Heaver, Belsten and Millington brothers.

Got two Canadians who emmigrated from Shifnal Shropshire, both enlisted the same day and died together

Two brothers appear on our local school memorial, Edwin and James John emergarted to Canada in 1902. They enlisted into different regiments but found themselves in the 50th (Alberta) on their fateful day of 25th August 1917. Edwin was shot through the head by a sniper, moments later the same sniper shot James as he knealt by his older brother,

cheers, Jon

George and Thomas Hewitt died 25/09/1915

Later in 1918 a third brother Charles Arthur Hewitt was killed.

CWGC states their mother lived at Sale Cheshire, all are remembered at, Whitchurch, Shropshire.

Not sure if these two have been mentioned before. I came across them while checking the GRO records for the In The Cold Project.

56483 Gnr Thomas CATLETT, age 21

56484 Gnr Charles CATLETT, age 23

Both served in 131st Heavy Battery RGA and both were killed on 25 August 1917. They are buried side-by-side at Bard Cottage Cemetery. The CWGC additional information shows that they were brothers of Dorothy Catlett, 277 Bexley Rd, Erith, Kent.

Adrian

Hi there

Looking back to the original chap who requested information on brothers who fought together at Gallipoli. Is he still out there and interested in this information? I have a photo of my grandfather at camp in Egypt, Christmas 1914 (NZ Expeditionary Force) with his companions, two of whom are brothers. One died at Gallipoli and one on the Somme in 1916. I have their names and information.

Cheers, Denise

Chris,

Here are a couple more for your list. The Irwin boys were not in the same unit when they were killed but had served originally in 10 RIR:

Sergeant James IRWIN. Born Lochwinnoch, Lanark. Address Lambeg, Co. Antrim. Before the war he was employed at Lambeg Bleachworks and was a member of the Conservative Flute Band. He was well known in local football circles, and was “a great favourite with the Roseville boys” (Lisburn Herald). He was a member of Lambeg LOL 138, he enlisted at Belfast and served in RIR 248. Transferred to 109 Co. MGC(I) 18721. DoW in Belgium on the 7.6.1917 aged 24. Buried in Dranoutre Military Cemetery, Belgium, plot 1, row J, grave 40. The headstone inscription reads, “We miss him most who loved him best”. Husband of Nancy Stewart Irwin of 23 Hilden View, Tullynacross, Lambeg, Lisburn. He died the same day as his brother Sergeant David IRWIN who was born in Thornlie, Lanark, enlisted at Belfast and served in 10 RIR 12759. He was KIA in Belgium on the 7.6.17 aged 21. His death is commemorated on the Ypres, Menin Gate Memorial, Belgium, panel 40. They were the sons of George and Charlotte Irwin of 17 Kilnknowe Cottages, Howood, Renfrewshire. After the war James Irwin’s wife Nancy had the following In Memoriam notice published in the Herald on the 7 June 1919. “Though death divides, Loving memory clings. Ever remembered by his loving wife and little daughter”. A week later on the 14th the following appeared in the same paper, inserted by the two brothers’ parents in Scotland. “In loving memory of our dear sons Sgt. James and David Irwin who were KIA in France on June 7, 1917. Sweet is their memory, dear to our hearts; My love to their memory never shall part; I know that the years be they many or few, are years of remembrance, dear sons, of you”.

Sergeant Thomas James CAIRNS. Born Derriaghy, Co. Antrim, address Mosside, Dunmurry. A member and secretary of Sommerhill LOL 137, a member of Derriaghy Band and of the South Antrim Battalion of the UVF, he enlisted at Lisburn and served in 11 RIR 17389. He embarked with his brothers Edward and Samuel, for France from Bordon in October 1915. Listed as missing and subsequently, in May 1917, as KIA on the Somme on the 1.7.1916. His death is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, France, pier and face 15 A/B. He was the son of Mrs. Cairns, a widow, of Mosside, Dunmurry. Brother of Edward Cairns. A third brother Corporal Samuel Cairns also served in 11 RIR, he appears to have survived the war.

Corporal Edward CAIRNS. Born Derriaghy, Co. Antrim, address Mosside, Dunmurry. He was a member of Mosside LOL 136, of Derriaghy Band and of the South Antrim Battalion of the UVF. Enlisted at Lisburn and served in 11 RIR 17391. Embarked with his brothers Thomas and Samuel, for France from Bordon in October 1915. Listed as missing and subsequently KIA on the Somme on the 1.7.1916. Buried in Mill Road, Cemetery, France, plot 14, row E, grave 8. There is no headstone inscription. He was the son of Mrs. Cairns, a widow, of Mosside, Dunmurry.

Pat

2 Lt William Strang MacLay - 8th Battalion, Scottish Rifles (Cameronians) died of wounds at Gallipoli 25th June 1915

2 Lt James Webster MacLay -7th Battalion, Scottish Rifles (Cameronians) killed at Gallipoli 28th June 1915

Only sons of the Rt. Hon. Sir Joseph Paton Maclay, 1st Bart. (now 1st Baron Maclay) and Lady Maclay, of Glasgow who gave a house to Glasgow University as a residential property for students after the War and named Maclay House in their memory.

Had William not died of wounds (probably resulting from heavy shelling from Asia Minor on 15th or from sniper attacks thereafter) three days before his brother was killed, both would have been at the firing line together as the 7th and 8th Battalions both took part in their first action, the Battle of Gully Ravine on 28th June 1915 and attacked Turkish trenches with no artillery support as it was felt that this area would easily be taken.

In reality the trenches were well defended with machine gun posts and the battalion attack lasted approximately five minutes. So many died from both battalions that they had insufficient numbers to remain as individual units thereafter and had to amalgamate to form a composite battalion for the remainder of the campaign.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Perhaps another pair for 1st July:

John and James CUMBERLAND, 11553 and 11554 in 9th Inniskilling Fusiliers. Both from Kilnacart, Co. Tyrone, according to SDGW, and both died 1/7/16 and are commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

Though I've no proof they were brothers, it seems likely.

Adrian

Guest geoff501

Another likely pair:

Charles and William BESSELL 15267, 15268 8th. KOSB 25/09/1915 LOOS Memorial

Born Preston, Lancs in SDGW