Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brothers who died on the same date!

aliecoco

Chris,

I don't know if you have recorded the Roberts brothers KIA at the renowned rearguard action of 2 Royal Munsters at Etreux, August 27th 1914. They are, I believe, the first brothers to be killed on the same day for British forces in WW1. There may, of course, be earlier German ones, but that's beyond the scope of this thread.

Faugh A Ballagh

Fin

Hi Fin and welcome to the forum,

According to 'The Long Long Trail' list of brothers who died on the same day, the Roberts brothers were the second brothers to die on the same day, the first were David and Ernest Oakman killed the day before whilst serving with the 2nd Battalion of the Suffolk Regiment.

Roy

Chris

Just to let you know how much your work is appreciated.

I supplied the Belsten brothers to you in October when I expanded my local Church RoH to include 2 sister Churches. The Belsten brothers were on one of those.

My wife was at the hairdressers on Saturday when she got talking to the little old lady in the next chair. As it was close to Remembrance Sunday, obviously at some point the chat turned to Remembrance. she mentioned that her family had lost brothers in the First War. As Nix knows I'm into local RoH's she phoned to tell me, saying " Can you look up a family called Belsten?" She was quite surprised when I reeled off that there were two brothers, died same day and that I had had them commemorated on your site.

I was able to give her 3 print outs, my own List with additional details from the CWGC site, a copy of their Names on the Church RoH and also an extract of the Names on your site, and a photo from the illuminated Acton Roll of Honour

You have helped make a very old lady very proud that her relatives are not forgotten. On a very special Day too.

Thank You

Hi Fin and welcome to the forum,

According to 'The Long Long Trail' list of brothers who died on the same day, the Roberts brothers were the second brothers to die on the same day, the first were David and Ernest Oakman killed the day before whilst serving with the 2nd Battalion of the Suffolk Regiment.

Roy

Roy,

Thanks for putting that one right. I guess it can't have been too far away?

F

Roy,

Thanks for putting that one right. I guess it can't have been too far away?

F

Fin,

Have you checked out the 'Brothers Died on the Same Day' on the 'LLT' website? It's amazing just how many brothers there were who did so.

Roy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

Chris I was wondering if you recieved my email on the 21st of Novemeber with a list of casualties,if not let us know and I can either post it up here or send it on once more.

Regards Brendan

I have recently read of two brothers who dies in 1917 at Ypres. They are mentioned in Lyn McDonalds book. I'mat work at the moment but will check it out when I get home.

I know they went over together and one made it to cover and the other was hit. When he realised his brother was shot (breaking away from his mates who were attempting to hold him back) he ran back for him and carried him forward but was hit when placing his brother under cover. The brother been carried was already dead and the other lay next to him dying. The soldier narrating explained they waited with him until he died then pushed on. A very sad story.

I'll add names asap

Neil

Brendan, I've almost certainly got it. I tend to pile up the "brothers" emails and add them to the page about ten at a time. You'll get a thank you email when I do it.

Hi Chris,thanks for the quick reply,I appreciate you must be very busy,the emails have been playing up lately and I wasn't sure if it had gone through.All the best

Brendan

• 4 weeks later...

Bindoff

I came across an interesting article recently in a New Zealand newspaper called the New Zealand Free Lance, dated 15 December 1916, which had a photograph of two brothers under the heading of “Two Brothers Die Side-By-Side.”

The text under this heading with the photographs is as follows:

“Frank and Herbert Bindoff, aged 21, the only sons of a widow living in Brighton (England) were killed by the same shell. They were devotedly attached to one another, and their careers were unusually closely associated. They were educated together, entered the same employment together, joined the Sussex regiment together, and went to the Front, where they were simultaneously transferred to another regiment. Both were over 6'2" in height.”

The acknowledgement given with respect to this article and photograph is the London Mirror.

Does anyone know anymore about the circumstances of their deaths?

Zack

Chris, do you have these two?

Private Herbert Victor Aldis and L/Cpl William Aldis both of the 9th Norfolks killed on the 15th September 1916.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=534105

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=773010

I put the surname into the search engine but nothing came up,

Stuart.

Hi Chris,

Checked the web link and you don't appear to have these two that have turned up during my research into my family name.

James William Hussey. Private. Royal Marine Light Infantry (PLY/8213) Age 37

Thomas Joseph Hussey. Private. Royal Marine Light Infantry (CH/5775) Age 41

Parents - Henry and Sarah Hussey of Gillingham, Kent

Both were lost on HMS Cressy on 22nd September 1914. Both are commemorated on the Chatham Royal Naval Memorial.

HMS Cressy was the third of three ships that were sunk by German Submarine U9 in an hour on the morning of 22nd September 1914 in the North Sea off the coast of Holland. HMS Akoubir was the first to be hit and began to sink, HMS Hogue immediately hove to to pick up survivors, thinking that Akoubir had hit a mine. U9 then fired on the almost stationary Hogue and it too began to sink. By now Cressy was alive to the danger but that did not save them from being the third Royal Navy ship to be sunk by U9 that morning. Only 200 crew out of 700+ establishment of HMS Cressy were saved.

I have to check the records held at Kew for final confirmation of the filial link, however, circumstantial evidence from enlistment dates, ages and Census records seem to link these two as brothers.

Cheers

Brazen

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

Do you have these two...

Sgt William Ernest Machin 55049 1st/ 1st Lincolnshire Yeomanry Aged 28 and his brother Pte Charles Henry Machin 55670 1st/1st Lincolnshire Yeomanry Aged 26. Both buried in Ramleh War Cemetery. Both died on 28/11/1917.

Sons of Alfred C and Emma Machin of Quadring, Nr Spalding, Lincolnshire.

Cheers

Brazen

• 2 weeks later...

Just been flicking through the 'Greater Burnley Roll of Honour' (which, having been published in 1920, admits that its listing is incomplete). It lists 1 family that lost 4 sons, 27 families that lost 3 sons and 179 families that lost 2 sons (also 2 father and son losses). The only one of interest to this thread, though, is one of the triple losses... 126682 Gnr.George Nutter and 126683 Gnr.H.Nutter who were both killed by the same shell in 1917(the third brother dying the following year) , though I think they may have already been mentioned on this thread somewhere.

dave

• 1 month later...

Australian Brothers at Fromelles KIA on the same date

19/7/16

Pte 4744 Albert Clive Bromley 53rd Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

Pte 4903 Sidney Reginald Bromley 53rd Bn Ration Farm Military Cemetery VI.J.43

19/7/16

Pte 3480A Timothy Joseph Carey 53rd Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

Pte 3481 John Stephen Carey 53rd Bn Rue-Du-Bois Military Cemetery I.F.16

19/7/16

Cpl 4076 Harold George Clements 59th Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

Pte 3055 Vivian John Clements 59th Bn Rue-Petillon Military Cemetery I.B.29

19/7/16

Pte 3105 Charles Wyndham Franklin 60th Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

Pte 3104 Herbert Franklin 60th Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

19/7/16

Pte 3282 Roderick John Fraser 59th Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

Pte 1703 Alexander Fraser 60th Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

19/7/16

Pte 3798 Ernest Albert Henderson 60th Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

Pte 2603 Leslie Donald Henderson 60th Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

From the Australian National Archives the sons of William and Annie Henderson,

110 Arden Street, North Melbourne. Native of Kensington

19/7/16

L/Cpl 2844 Gustave George Hosie 59th Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

Pte 1948 Russell Hosie 60th Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

19/7/16

Pte 2746 Alfred Charles Mitchell 59th Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

Pte 2714 Sydney Mitchell 59th Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

19/7/16

Pte 3200 Alexander Leslie McLean 60th Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

Pte 3209 Victor Henry McLean 60th Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

Their father Pte 3202 Alexander was also in the 60th Bn and was reported

MIA on the 19th, later reported safe

19/7/16

Pte 3831 Patrick McManus 60th Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

Pte 2719 Samuel McManus 60th Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

19/7/16

Pte 2736 Robert Charles Miller 60th Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

Pte 2735 William Miller KIA 60th Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

Shown as brothers in the Australian National Archives

19/7/16

Pte 2014 Colin Ernest Perkins 59th Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

Pte 2421 Eric Perkins 59th Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

19/7/16

Pte 1804 Alfred Ernest Phillips 59th Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

Pte 1743 Edwin Phillips 60th Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

19/7/16

Pte 2776 George Shephard 60th Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

Pte 2778 Thomas Henry Phillip Shephard 60th Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

Their brother Pte 2777 John Ernest Shephard also in the 60th Bn died of illness

shortly before on 12/7/16 Mazergues Cemetery Extension IV.A.7

From the Australian National Archives the sons of John and Ellen Shephard, 60 McKean Street, North Fitzroy, Victoria

19/7/16

Pte 4887 Eric Robert Wilson 53rd Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

Pte 3534 Samuel Charles Wilson 53rd Bn V.C Corner Cemetery Memorial

From the Australian National Archives the sons of G Wilson, Hibbard, Port Macquarie, New South Wales

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...

Here are the words of Pte W Smith, No.15029, New Zealand MGC. (Attacking at Pachendaelle)

"....The German's started spraying us with intense machine gun fire as soon as we moved. We were being caught in efilade fire from the big pillboxes in the lowground to our right. People were dropping all the way. The hail of lead we tried to go through was simply incredible. More than half of us fell. We hadn't gone far when our oldest surviving Sergeant, Jock Stewart dropped alongside me. I just had time to see that he had fallen on his back, with a bullet-hole in his chest in the vicinity of his heart. The road had been cut slightly through the ridge, and the low bank gave us the very slightest peice of shelter if we kept ourselves low down. We were down to a dozen or so men.

Young Harold Stewart was with us, Jock's young brother. He hadn't seen Jock go down. He didn't realise it until we stopped, and when he did we couldn't hold him. He ncrawled back on his stomach to where Jock was lying, and got hold of his body and dragged him back along the road to where we were sheltering. The machine-gun bullets were splashing up mud all around them. Harold got right through them all. Then, just as he reached us he eased himself up slightly to pull Jock down below the road surface, and a German sniper put a rifle bullet through his throat. I practically saw the bullet that hit him. It must have got him in the jugular vein. His blood gushed all over me.

Not only did they die on the samae day, but they died together.

Jock and Harold Stewart are comemorated on Panel 6 of the New Zealand Memorial to the missing, directly behind the Cross of Sacrifice in Tyne Cot Cemetary.

• 1 month later...

Chris,

I have sent you an e-mail via Long Long Trail

for two brothers died the same day:

Shoeing Smith Sidney George Smith 20/07/1917

Gunner Albert Edward Smith 20/07/1917

buried alongside in Vlamertinghe New Military cemetery

Cheers.

Pierre

2 brothers, both killed on the same day, serving with the same Rgt;

Fred and Arthur Roper, both 1st Essex, both killed in action at Gallipoli in early Aug '15. Iseem to think that they were from Clacton originally.

I got their very heavy wooden army chests from their family.

I remember reading of a father and son who were serving with the same artillery battery in WW1, both killed on the same day, buried next to each other. I think the reference was in the CWGC publication "Courage Remembered". Don't have my copy to hand.

They are Sjt George Lee aged 44 and Cpl Robert Frederick Lee aged 19 buried in DARTMOOR Cemetery (Becordel Becourt) (Somme France)

Pierre

• 2 weeks later...

sorry, haven't gone through all the Names again, but came across these today

LOUNSBACH J 21269 22ND BN 01/07/1916 MANCHESTER REGIMENT

LOUNSBACH H 20239 22ND BN 01/07/1916 MANCHESTER REGIMENT

Only Henry was buried at Dantzig Alley, Joseph on Thiepval Memorial

• 2 weeks later...

2 more that may not have appeared:

Name: ROGERS, FRANK. Initials: F. Rank: Private

Regiment/Service: Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry. Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Additional information: Son of Mrs. Rogers, of Tyler's Green, Bucks.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 26. Memorial: LE TOURET MEMORIAL

Name: ROGERS, SIDNEY. Initials: S. Rank: Private

Regiment/Service: Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry. Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Additional information: Son of Mrs. Rogers, of Tyler's Green, Bucks.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 26. Memorial: LE TOURET MEMORIAL

Another pair:

George Olaf Damian Ceadda Jackson and his brother Hugo Ant(h)ony Launcelot Ceadda Jackson, Lieutenants in 10th Bn Canadian Infantry (Alberta Regiment) both died on 28 April 1917 according to CWGC.

For details see this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Two again:

23/04/1917 :

202290 Pte INWOOD, WILLIAM

Yorkshire Regiment 4th Bn.

Bay 5. ARRAS MEMORIAL

203186 Pte INWOOD, EDWARD G.

East Yorkshire Regiment 1st/4th Bn.

Bay 4 and 5. ARRAS MEMORIAL

Pierre

• 2 weeks later...