Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Last Absolution of the Munsters'

Mark Hone

Sean,

I join Annie to wish you the welcome among us!

we undoubtedly will have answers to our interrogations !

Michel

Father Gleeson was my Grand Uncle. I have some information regarding his death, his family, a print of the painting and probably the last letter that he ever wrote in late May, 1959.

Sean G

Welcome, Sean. any family stories about him?

Marina

I spent the past few hours scanning the entries on this tread. The work that has gone into this is truly amazing. I will surely spend much more time in the days to come reveiwing the information in detail.

On May 22, 1959, my brother Greg was killed in a tragic accident at the age of 9. My parents received the following letter from "Father Frank" which I have in my possession. This, I'm sure, is one of the last letters he ever wrote.

"My dearest and sorrowing mother and father, of your dear Gregory- so suddenly taken away from your own beloved arms, and placed in the merciful embracesof Godwho created him, for his love. I cannot express to you all, how deeply I am grieved at the death of our dearest Gregory, and especially the way he was deprived of life. I am not able to write a long or full letter as I am not allowed to read or correspond, (illegible). May God console you all in your hard blow. It is certain that he is now in the hands of the angels forever. Gregory will prepare a mansion for you all in Heaven. He is always looking down on you from Heaven, thinking of you all, helping you all, and getting graces that will strengthen you all in life. Also it was very sad to hear of Gregory Skelly, and it was a remarkable thing that that the two deaths were coincident. I must now conclude, again sympathy with you and all in your loss.

Yours affectionally Frank (Cannon) Gleeson"

At the top of this letter it says "Parochial House, Meath St, Dublin. Then there is a date 7/4/1959. The date confuses me because Father Frank died June 26, 1959.

In August of 1959, my mother received the following letter from Father Frank's sister, Sister Veronica, Sister of Saint Joseph.

"Dear Mary,

Thank you for your beautiful letter of sympathy in the death of our beloved Brother_ Father Frank. It was a great shock and a great sorrow for Ben and myself. I had just gotten permission to go home to his Golden Jubilee but it is all changed now at least for the present. Ben and I are the last two members of a big family and I was the fourteenth. 9 Boys and 5 Girls and four were blessed with vocations. Sister Thomas a Sister of Mercy who died in 1945. Sister Margaret Mary a Sister of Saint John of God who died in 1914. Father Frank and myself. So God was good to us and blessed us with wonderful parents. There must be a great reunion of the family in heaven and Gregory and his Uncle Frank are we hope the last arrivals. We can pray to them now and be assured of their intercession at all times. We have many sacred memories and consolations in the deaths of our loved ones and we must thank God every day for blessing us with such a holy Priest and Saintly little Boy. It is hard to reply to all the messages of sympathy and prayers I received from Ireland and I have been trying to get them out otherwise I would have written you sooner. Thank you again Mary and let me hear from you again soon. I enjoy your letters.

Lots of love and daily remembrance from your fond Aunt Sister Veronica."

I will talk to my Uncle and see if he has any additional information that may be of interest.

Sean G

Thank you Sean - for sharing your treasures with us !

This has been a wonderful thread ...... we're all so hungry for information to take us to the next level !

Take your time reading .... maybe something that has been said - will "spark a memory " for you .....

in the meantime .... we'll keep on looking ....... ! and I'll still be "impatient "

Annie :)

At the top of this letter it says "Parochial House, Meath St, Dublin. Then there is a date 7/4/1959. The date confuses me because Father Frank died June 26, 1959.

Sean,

Wonderful to have you contributing to this thread, a great boost indeed.

On your above question - do I take it that you are corresponding from the USA? If so, then simply the date is around the other way than you write it 'over there'!

7/4/1959 = 7th April, 1959 (not 4th July!)

Looking forward to reading more.

Ian

James .... I wonder if this could be the Captain ??

Medal card of Jeffares, R T

Royal Irish Rifles

Captain

1914-1920

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fg/

Annie

Annie,

Yes it is Capt. R.T. Jeffares. After seeing your post early this morning (Brisbane time), I blew up the photo images of the War Diary page, the surname is Jeffares only in the report the spelling was with one 'f'.

Also the report paper is thin and writing on reverse side tends to muddy faintly printed words.

Well done and thanks.

Sullivan.

Sean,

quite simply splendid!

take all the time that you will need to read the thread which, with your invaluable contribution, will take very an other dimension…

Thanks for sharing with us informations which we all are avid to know.

Michel

One thing bothers me:

Father Gleeson's diary states:

On his diary entry for the 8th he states:-

'We march out from xxx billet (Locon) about 900 strong, our Commanding Officer being Major Rickard and the Adjutant, Captain Filgate - two of the kindliest men I have come across. We leave about 7.00. The scenes of enthusiasm are outstanding. I ride my horse. Give Absolution to Batt. during rest on road opposite La Contin Church between the shrine of 'N.D. de la Bonne Mort' and another shrine '.

Now, it maybe that I have forgotten the previous commentary, but are we looking in the right spot?

The above states opposite a church and between shrines.

Michel - can you refresh my memory

Ian

Ian and all other Forum members,

I have to offer a sincere apology for a glaring error I made in my posts relating to one of Father Gleeson's diary extracts.

After receiving the 2nd battalion War Diary and going back over all of my posts, I now realise I made an error in my transcription of his text as follows -

"We leave about 7.00. The scenes of enthusiasm are outstanding. I ride my horse. Give Absolution to Batt. during rest on road [full stop missing] opposite ['O' missing] La Couture Church between the shrine of 'N.D. de la Bonne Mort' (Notre de dame de la Bonne Mort) and another shrine we have another rest.

Should read -

"We leave about 7.00. The scenes of enthusiasm are outstanding. I ride my horse. Give Absolution to Batt. during rest on road. Opposite La Couture Church between the shrine of 'N.D. de la Bonne Mort' (Notre de dame de la Bonne Mort) and another shrine we have another rest."

post-148-1176768600.jpg

I have corrected this error in my posts but it was unfortunately carried down and has probably caused some confusion.

Again my apologies to Ian and and other Forum members.

Sullivan.

Sean,

Welcome to GWF.

One question of surname spelling, Gleeson or Gleason.

Perhaps you can through some light on the following. A small photo appeared in the journal of the Munster Fusiliers Association, with brief caption but no other information.

Journal ref: No. 19 Autumn 2001, page 19. The surname spelling 'Gleason', is this a printers error. Note that Father G's surname is correct spelling 'Gleeson'.

post-148-1176769591.jpg

Regards,

Sullivan.

This is truly amazing. I told you all yesterday that I was going to let my Uncle know of this thread and guess what? Uncle Paul shows up in Sullivan most recent entry. I spoke with my Uncle earlier today and he spent most of the day reading up. Uncle Paul said he will address the spelling change from "ee" to "ea".

You are going to love Uncle Paul he is a great source of information.

Sean G

How cool is that Sean ??

Had you seen that picture before ? ..... oh ! and can I ask you .... did you see the photo that Sullivan had of the Priest in the trenches ? ..... were you able to recognize if that was really him ?

Annie

Sullivan ..... what a difference punctuation makes !! very interesting !

Jean ... thanks for pointing out that link ...... apart from the reference to Father Gleeson ... I was able to find something else I was researching on the same page ...... so thank you again !

Sullivan ..... what a difference punctuation makes !! very interesting !

Annie,

I agonised over that mistake knowing full well the implication.

If it had not been for the War Dairy page for the 2nd battalion, I would not have noticed the error. But when I read the War Diary the text line for 8th May 1915, "..on the road at the first halt Father Gleeson gave absolution".

Where had I seen that line before, which took me back to his diary page for the 8th. It worried me to the point where I discussed with another Forum member who's integrity I hold in high esteem, the consensus was that I should highlight my error.

Sullivan.

Sullivan,

Thanks for the clarification. No problem! However I am still unsure as to the location of the absolution!

From Fr Gleeson's diary I see two locations:

1) Absolution - on road after leaving billets (Tombe Willot) at a rest.

2) Second rest - opp La Couture church and between the shrine of N D de la B M and 'another shrine'.

No. 2 sounds like the Rue du Bois location Michel is giving us, but No. 1 seems to be elsewhere? Or am I still confused.....

Ian

This is truly amazing. I told you all yesterday that I was going to let my Uncle know of this thread and guess what? Uncle Paul shows up in Sullivan most recent entry. I spoke with my Uncle earlier today and he spent most of the day reading up. Uncle Paul said he will address the spelling change from "ee" to "ea".

You are going to love Uncle Paul he is a great source of information.

Sean G

Sean,

This gets better by the minute. Thank you for giving us time. We can only guess at what Fr Gleeson would think of all our interest some 92 years on!

Ian

Michel !

How far is it from the billets at Tombe Willot Locon to La Couture church ??

I assumed it wasn't very far ..... !! why would they have TWO halts ?

Annie

Michel !

How far is it from the billets at Tombe Willot Locon to La Couture church ??

I assumed it wasn't very far ..... !! why would they have TWO halts ?

Annie

Hello Annie ;)

all depends on the way that our brave soldiers borrowed this day there.

For walkers well trained like are generally the soldiers, I do not really know if they would have two halts ?

I will emailed to you this evening a google view...

Michel

It occured to me as I was writing a Thank you note today .... that my punctuation left much to be desired !

I was able to go back and edit it .... but Father Gleeson didn't have that luxury ! ( eg check his spelling ! )

It's my opinion that the first assumptions were correct ....... !

Thanks Michel for the offer of the map !

Annie

I am not sure about Fr Gleeson's sentence meaning that the absolution was given opposite the Church.

Have another look at his written words. Intentional or not, there is a full stop after 'road', but for sure the word 'between' is with a small (lower case) 'b'.

But I have a problem with 'opposite La Couture Church' and 'between the shrines'.

The shrines are clearly on the Rue Du Bois, La Couture church is presumably in La Couture, and not what I would describe as 'opposite'.

Michel to the rescue again, please!

Ian

post-7046-1176823473.jpg