Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Last Absolution of the Munsters'

Mark Hone

post-148-1179301033.jpg

The Garrison Church of St. Patrick and St. George North Tidworth.

The building is described as follows -
It is a long, low flint building, with a tower at the north eastern end. Inside there are white walls while the roof is crossed by thin black timbers.

Sullivan.

The wives of the men, 2nd battalion Munster Fusiliers also played their part in the Garrison Church. Bronze plaques on the end of Garrison Church pews.

post-148-1179301198.jpg

Presented

By The

Women

Of The

2nd R M Fusiliers

Sullivan.

splendid James,

Please, what is written on the two sides of the stained glass?

Michel

splendid James,

Please, what is written on the two sides of the stained glass?

Michel

Michel,

In answer to your question.

post-148-1179314095.jpg

Information source: History of the Royal Munster Fusiliers. The Battle Honours go back in time and have been inherited from the pre 1881 antecedents of the regiment.

Sullivan.

I love the stained glass windows Sullivan !

Andy's thread re Letters from Flanders ... the young officer mentions

" Oh, by the way, get the Sphere each week, Matania's pictures of life on the English line are jolly good. He's been over here and knows something about it. He's had a lot about our particular bit of Hades"

I suppose I didn't realise that the men knew all about him !! :)

Andy's thread re Letters from Flanders ... the young officer mentions

" Oh, by the way, get the Sphere each week, Matania's pictures of life on the English line are jolly good. He's been over here and knows something about it. He's had a lot about our particular bit of Hades"

I suppose I didn't realise that the men knew all about him !! :)

Nice thought, though, isn't it?

Marina

"Michel,

In answer to your question."

James,

thank you very much

very friendly

Michel

Also I found this picture of the Royal Munster Fusiliers .... I recognised the name Fitzmaurice ...... are any of the others familiar ?

Annie,

Re the officers in your photo. Some of them appointed to the Munster Fusiliers Service Battalions.

post-148-1179436234.jpg

Capt. H. Aplin to the 7th, wounded at Suvla Bay.

Major C. Hendriks to the 7th, wounded at Suvla Bay.

Lieut.-Col. H. Gore Commanded the 7th.

Capt. (Adj) M. Wace to 7th, wounded Suvla Bay.

Major G. Drage joined the 7th on 21st Nov. 1915.

2nd Lieut. W.H. Good to 7th. Died in action Suvla Bay.

Lieut. Charles Edmund Longfield, Capt. temp. to 6th. Died in action Jerusalem.

Lieut. Spencer Robert Valentine Travers to 7th. Died in action Suvla Bay.

Lieut. T. D. Hallinan to 7th. Wounded at Suvla Bay.

2nd Lieut. Francis Evans Bennett to 7th. Died in action Suvla Bay.

The 6th (Service) battalion Munster Fusiliers.

This Battalion was formed under Lieut.-Colonel V.T. Worship D.S.O., and was a component of the 30th Brigade under Brigadier General L.L. Nicol.

This Brigade with the 29th and 31st Brigade's formed the 10th (Irish) Division under Lieut.-General Sir B.T. Mahon K.C.V.O., C.B., D.S.O. The Battalion was raised by Army Order 324 issued 21st August 1914.

Battle Zones.

August 1915, to Gallipoli.

August 1915, Suvla Bay, Scimitar Hill.

October 1915, Salonica, Kosturino, Struma.

September 1917, Egypt & Palestine, Gaza, Jerusalem, Tell Asur.

May 1918, France, absorbed by 2nd Battalion RMF 6th June 1918.

The 7th (Service) battalion Munster Fusiliers.

This Battalion was also formed under Lieut.-Colonel H. Gore, and was a component of the 30th Brigade under Brigadier General L.L. Nicol.

This Brigade was also with the 29th and 31st Brigade's formed the 10th (Irish) Division under Lieut.-General Sir B.T. Mahon K.C.V.O., C.B., D.S.O. The Battalion was raised by Army Order 324 issued 21st August 1914.

Battle Zones.

August 1915, to Gallipoli.

August 1915, Suvla Bay, Scimitar Hill.

October 1915, Salonica, Kosturino, Struma.

24 Officers and 411 other ranks, amalgamated with 6th Battalion RMF 3rd November 1916.

Gale & Polden Ltd. of Wellington Works, Aldershot, were responsible for many formal group photographs. They also published the following histories of the Munster Fusiliers.

'The 2nd Munsters In France' by Lieut.-Col. H.S. Jervis, MC. in 1922. One volume.

'History Of The Royal Munster Fusiliers' by Capt. Stouppe McCance, RASC. in 1927. Two volumes covering 1652 to 1922.

Some of the names have not traced, they could have been appointed to other regiments.

Sullivan.

Thanks Sullivan - for going to all the trouble of sorting out these offficers ...... I didn't recognise any of the names and so "assumed "

they were other battalions ! but thought I would post it ..... just in case !! :)

Annie

This morning (Aust. time) I received an email from Sean Connolly - Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association. Copy of his email below. Of interest to us of course is the photo he attached of Canon Francis Gleeson.

post-148-1179889480.jpg

Canon Francis Gleeson, Dublin - circa 1950's.

Note the fuller face when compared to WW1 photo.

"Dear James,

We were in touch some years ago. Your redesigned website is very impressive.

I attach a photo of Canon Gleeson taken by a neighbour of mine, Paddy Lawler. He was a bus conductor who took up photography. This was a early attempt. The location is at the junction of Thomas St and Meath Street, Dublin

I found the picture when I was helping to clear out the house after he died. Similar to the finding of the diaries. They are now on display in the National Museum Exhibition at Collins Barracks which restricts access.

Last year gave full recognition to the Irish soldiers of the First World War. The Irish Government had major commemorations for the 1916 Rising and the 90th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme.

They issued commemorative stamps for both.

Best wishes

Sean Connolly

Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association"

Sullivan.

Thanks for the pic, Sullivan.

I realise that in later life he might be 'fuller faced' but he looks more like the vague image in the officers group (that Annie wondered might have been Father Gleeson)?

Ian

Splendid photograph James,

Thank you very much for sharing with us

very friendly

Michel

I stumbled on this thread this morning and have spent a couple of hours reading through it. Fascinating, congratulations to all who have contributed to it.

My great uncle, Pte I. Griffiths was with the 2nd Welsh who fought on the left of the Munsters on 9th May 1915. He died, shot through the head in the first wave of the morning attack. I visited the area and walked down the cinder track on 9th May this year. I also visited the Le Touret memorial where he is listed on the panel of the missing.

Researching his war, I found an account of the battle in The Welch Regimen 1914-1918, this is from page 354.

' Nor must one forget Father Gleeson of the Munsters, whose words of comfort soothed the last moments of many who were not of his faith'.

It seems the remarkable priest lent his assistance to the neighbouring battalion.

That morning the 2nd Welsh lost 11 officers and 245 ORs of their strength of 24 officers and 838 ORs.

When I walked down the cinder track in the direction of the attack the thing that struck me most about the fields was how utterly flat and featureless they are. There is no cover whatsoever.

Regards

David

Hi David and welcome to the Forum ...... Father Gleeson was indeed a very special man ! ........... I'm glad you were able to walk in your Great Uncles footsteps .... it must have been very emotional for you ...... amazing to think of the hardships all the soldiers went through isn't it ??

I found this piece from Timothy Moloney RMF Assoc

LIMERICK SOLDIERS TRIBUTE TO BRAVE IRISH PRIEST.

RESEARCH, T.MOLONEY.

LETTER FROM THE FRONT (LIMERICK LEADER WEDNESDAY EVENING MAY 19TH 1915). THIS MORNING'S POST BROUGHT US THE FOLLOWING LETTER. WRITTEN IN HOSPITAL AND DATED MAY 15TH. FROM PRIVATE J DANAHER. A LIMERICK MAN IN THE 2ND R.M.FUSILIERS. NOW WITH THE BRITISH EXPEDITIONARY FORCES IN FRANCE:-

TO THE EDITOR OF THE LIMERICK LEADER

DEAR SIR--WOULD YOU BE S0 KIND AS TO HAVE THIS LITTLE SLIP OF DIARY PUBLISHED IN A VACANT SPACE IN YOUR PAPER ON BEHALF OF THE MEN WHOSE NAMES ARE SIGNED BELOW. ON THE 8th MAY WE WERE FORMED UP IN A RING OUTSIDE OUR BILLETS, IN COMPANY WITH FATHER GLEESON, SINGING HYMNS. WHEN THE ORDER CAME TO MOVE TO THE FIRING LINE. ON SATURDAY NIGHT, 8th MAY, WE MARCHED OFF, HEADED BY FATHER GLEESON, WITH SOME NATIONAL FLAGS. WE GOT THERE ABOUT 12 O'CLOCK THAT NIGHT JUST IN TIME FOR THE BIG BOMBARDMENT. IN WHICH WE LOST HEAVILY. ON SUNDAY 9th OF MAY, IT WAS TERRIBLE. HOUSES, CHAPELS, TREES,AND BODIES FLYING IN THE AIR. STILL FATHER GLEESON STUCK TO HIS POST, ATTENDING TO THE WOUNDED AND DYING MUNSTERS, AND SHELLS DROPPING ALL AROUND HIM. INDEED, IF ANY ONE HAS EARNED THE V.C. FATHER GLEESON HAS. HE IS A CREDIT TO THE COUNTRY HE HAILS FROM. OH, THE PLUCKY WORK THIS IRISH PRIEST HAS DONE OUT HERE FOR THE REGIMENT. ONE COULD NEVER STOP PRAISING HIM; HE HAS BROUGHT LUCK TO THE MUNSTERS SINCE HE JOINED THEM. THE MEN WHO ARE WITH HIM, AND ESPECIALLY THE LIMERICK MEN, SPEAK VERY HIGHLY OF HIM. HE SENT BACK TO IRELAND FOR HYMN BOOKS TO HAVE US SINGING EVERY EVENING IN THE OPEN. ON THE FIRST OF MAY HE ERECTED A LITTLE CHAPEL IN THE OPEN, FOR WHICH HE GOT ONE OF THE BOYS TO MAKE A LITTLE WOODEN CROSS, AND GOT THE WORDS 'ST MARYS' PRINtED ON IT, IT BEING THE MONTH OF MAY. THE FOLLOWING SUNDAY HE HAD HIS FIRST MASS IN IT, WITH ALL THE BATTALION PRESENT.

SIGNED BY THE FOLLOWING LIMERICK MEN:- PRIVATES: J.DANAHER, B.SOUIRES, PTE.BOWMAN, T.LYNCH, J.WHELAN. (PAINTERS AND MAKERS OF ABOVE MENTIONED CROSS) [THIS YEAR MARKS THE EIGHTIETH ANNIVERSARY OF THE RUE-DU-BOIS ATTACK. CARRIED OUT ON THE NINTH OF MAY 1915 BY THE 2ND MUNSTERS.(ED)

Annie

Hi David,

Thank you very much for your post.

Indeed, it is a particularity of the "plat pays" (flat country),flat,featurless and no cover, it is still like that now.

the only mountains whe heve are the "crassiers" of the coal's mines.

Michel

David,

Thank you for sharing that piece of information.

I his diary entry for Monday 10 May 1915, Father Gleeson mentions the "Welsh". The reference is to a soldier named "Borrowdale". The 2nd Welch as David advised were on the left of the 2nd Munsters on the same line.

post-148-1180156479.jpg

"....spent all night trying to console, aid and remove the wounded. It was ghastly to see them lying there in the cold, cheerless outhouses, on bare stretchers with no blankets to cover their freezing limbs. I shall never forget that young officer with the shattered left arm, nor you Borrowdale, of the Welsh who was a great organist and played for me in Epan. Heartbreaking to see him dying there - wasting away. Hundreds lying out in cold air all night at Windy Corner. No ambulances coming. They came at last, - at daylight."

From CWGC.

BORROWDALE, H. E. Private

Welsh Regiment 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 09/05/1915

Service No: 5881

Additional information: Nephew of C. D. W. Borrowdale, of 17, Birley St., Lavender Hill, Battersea, London.

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. C. 5.

Cemetery:BETHUNE TOWN CEMETERY

RIP

Sullivan.

Stumbled across the Obituary of Captain Carrigan, M.C. from the times of 23-9-1918

Michel posted his grave picture on page 19.

post-6536-1180196599.jpg

Steve.

Hello James,

here is the photograph of Private H E BORROWDALE's grave taked tuesday morning at Béthune town cemetery.

Very friendly

Michel

Sorry for the double post

Michel

post-10155-1180732962.jpg

Hello James,

here is the photograph of Private H E BORROWDALE's grave taked tuesday morning at Béthune town cemetery.

Very friendly

Michel

Michel,

Just catching up with the posts to GWF.

Many thanks for the photo of Private Borrowdale,s grave. After so many years his name has not been forgotten.

Regards,

James.