Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Last Absolution of the Munsters'

Mark Hone

thanks for a great picture,where could i get a copy?

Roger

I'd like to get one too.

That and the Red Star animal relief poster with the "Goodbye Old Man" print.

Good evening all,

I am in vacations in Tunisia since five days and I would not be without to say some words about may 9 th 1915 and the sacrifice of the 2nd RMF then I maked all my possible to find a PC, it's done tonight with the wonderful help of the director of the hostel where I am...

May they rest in peace.

Michel

This months, April 2008, “An Cosantóir", the Irish Defence Forces Magazine, in their series on Military Heritage of Ireland Trust, highlights that the diary of Fr Gleeson is on display in the Irish National Museum, Collins Barracks, Dublin.

• 1 month later...

Hello Gerb

this is a very good news, perhaps a member of the forum living in Dublin could go and ask permission to publish it on the forum?

Do you know someone who could do that for us?

very friendly

Michel

• 4 weeks later...

gerb,

made for the better, it would be wonderful

very friendly

Michel

Hi all,

Been a while since I read the body of this thread so forgive me if I am reposting something already mentioned. While surfing today I came across a 3 part article called The Second Munsters 1914-1948 published in "The Old Limerick Journal" Vol. 19, Summer 1986, Vol. 20, Winter 1986 and Vol. 21, Autumn 1987 by Des Ryan, including some pictures and of course an image of the 'Last Absolution of the Munsters'.

Anyway links to the pdf articles as follows, happy reading.

Paul.

The Second Munsters 1914-1948, part 1 by Des Ryan (1,169 Kb)

The Second Munsters 1914-1948, part 2 by Des Ryan (998 Kb)

The Second Munsters 1914-1918, part 3 by Des Ryan (953 Kb)

Many thanks for a GREAT hopefully still going thread, just spent 6 hours going through it but will have to go through it again I feel for a better understanding.

Thanks to ALL

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All,

Im doing some research on Fr. Gleeson as he is from my home town and i have read through only half of this thread so (theres alot in it!!!) I was wondering could people point me in the direction on information they may know on him. Some one on this forum has kindly given me his diary (thank you). I would gratefully appreciate it! Thank you maura

Hi All,

Im doing some research on Fr. Gleeson as he is from my home town and i have read through only half of this thread so (theres alot in it!!!) I was wondering could people point me in the direction on information they may know on him. Some one on this forum has kindly given me his diary (thank you). I would gratefully appreciate it! Thank you maura

Hello Maura,

welcome to the Forum !

Is it Davellis who gave to you the war diary ?

very friendly

Michel

Hello Maura,

welcome to the Forum !

Is it Davellis who gave to you the war diary ?

very friendly

Michel

yes it was davellis!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Not the Munsters, but the background.

I have a peripheral interest in the Munster's at Aubers Ridge, my great uncle was with the 2nd Welch on their right on 9th May 1915 (see previous posting).

While researching the battle I have recently come across an excellent account of the German side of the engagement. It is focused on the northern sector rather than the southern attack (where the Munsters & the Welch were engaged) but gives a sound overall summary of the action from the German side. Interestingly it does not merit the event of 9th May with title of 'battle', for the Germans, it was called the 'Gefecht bei Fromelles' - the action, or engagement near Fomelles. For anyone interested in gaining a perspective of the action from the other side, the account in J.F. Williams' Corporal Hitler and the Great War (p 98- 113) provides an account based on German primary sources. Clearly the Germans were awaiting the attack (the account talks of guns moved south to La Bassee) and had made their dispositions to receive it.

Yes, a certain Corporal Hitler was engaged on the day, but he was in the north on the so called Sugar-loaf feature, part of the 6th Bavarian Reserve Division.

Regards

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Sad news...

I learned a few days ago Adèle has gone in March, quietly as she had lived.

She was aged 1O4 years.

May she rest in peace ...

Michel

Michel,

Thank you for letting us know about Adele. She is now in Heaven with all the men and women who fell in both wars. If you visit her grave please put a flower threre on behalf of this Forum. May she rest in peace.

Bob Dennis

• 3 weeks later...
post-3727-1123670400.jpg

Hi Mark,

I also have been trying to locate the exact location of this painting. I havebeen unsuccessul sadly. This painting is quite close to my heart as i am from Ennis, County Clare in Munster. Copy attached.

Regards

Ross.

If my memory serves me right there is a painting or a mural of this blessing in the Bank of Ireland in College Green in Dublin. It is in the old Irish Parliment rooms there. Can anybody tell me Father Gleesons first name, as I believe I knew him very well.

Oh! I missed the sad news about Adele. God rest her.

Can anybody tell me Father Gleesons first name, as I believe I knew him very well.

His name was Francis ......

• 1 month later...

It's the birthday of our dear friend RSM John Ring MC DCM today !

He said that 1918 was the best birthday he ever had !!

RIP .... you and all the Royal Munster Fusiliers were thought of today !

post-7335-1226438039.png

RIP John and all the RMF

• 4 months later...

Bumping this thread up, as there was a posting on another board concerning Col Rickard's wife, which would be good to have added here.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I understand why my colleagues in the Municipality of Saint-Malo found no trace of the burial of Jessie Rickard in the archives of Paramé ... where some us thought she had ended his days ...

RIP Jessie and Victor RICKARD

Michel