Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots

Tim Godden

I have a relative who was KIA with the 13th Btn;

John W Armstrong Pte 331097 KIA 22/8/17

He was originally from Nottingham and was transferred to the Royal Scots. Maybe with his surname, they thought he was Scottish!

Any info about the Btn on this day would be appreciated.

He was originally from Nottingham and was transferred to the Royal Scots. Maybe with his surname, they thought he was Scottish!

John William Armstrong.

ARMSTRONG

Firstname John William

Service Number 331097

Date Death 22/08/1917

Decoration

Place of birth Nottingham

Other 13th Bn. formerly 19/31400. Notts & Derby Regt.

SNWM roll THE ROYAL SCOTS (LOTHIAN REGIMENT)

Rank Pte

Theatre of death F.& F.

3rd Ypres, 15th Scottish Division attacking Frezenberg Ridge.

45 Brigade attacked Potsdam, Borry and Vampir Farms at 4.45am. MGs accounted for most of the attacking infantry and survivors fell back to the Railway line and Beck House.

Aye

Malcolm

Many thanks Malcolm

How many Pals are researching The Royal Scots, in any aspect, during The Great War? If you are, which battalion(s) are you researching?

It may be that others who are researching the regiment, or soldiers of the regiment, have the info you need. How about using this thread to keep in touch.

As you may or may not know my interest is in the 13th battalion and I am always looking out for information, photos, stories etc... to do with the battalion.

All the best,

Tim

Hi Tim & All,

I am new to this forum, hope I've done this right.

I should be very grateful for any information about the 3rd Royal Scots during WW1.

My Grandfather was in the 3rd Royal Scots throughout WW1

His name was Alexander (Alec) Johnstone, Private, Number 63853.

Many thanks

Tim J.

• 4 weeks later...

First post time. Does anyone have detail on 8th battalion Royal Scots

My Great uncle Kenneth Mcl Thomson No. 1882 & 325560 was killed on 9/4/1917

at Arras. I have his CWGC details and Medal Roll Card and one company

photo but no other detail on the 8th. Any info greatly appreciated

Does anyone have detail on 8th battalion Royal Scots

Welcome to the forum, I hope you find all the help you need. Two forum members, 'dycer' (George) and John Duncan should be able to help you out. If this thread doesn't catch their eye then I suggest starting a new thread in this section (Units and formations) with 8th Royal Scots in the title. Until then, you should find a few bits and pieces using the search facility.

All the best,

Stuart

I forgot to add a link to John's great Newbattle at War site - this particular link is to the 8th Royal Scots section.

Stuart

First post time. Does anyone have detail on 8th battalion Royal Scots

My Great uncle Kenneth Mcl Thomson No. 1882 & 325560 was killed on 9/4/1917

at Arras. I have his CWGC details and Medal Roll Card and one company

photo but no other detail on the 8th. Any info greatly appreciated.

Bull'

I plead that you access the Web-site-"Newbattle at War" created by John Duncan you will find all the information you need on the 8th Royal Scots.

The Battalion War Diary for 9th April 1917 does not record your Grt/Uncle being a casualty.Although "B" Company had an Officer severely wounded,a Sgt killed and one other rank wounded.

The Battalion casualties for other ranks in April 1917 were 5 killed and 1 dying of wounds.

I am sorry I cannot be more helpful.

George

Hi Bullyman, welcome to the Forum, the 9th of April was the opening day of the Battle of Arras, and as George has already indicated it was a very busy day but little mention of casualties. He appears to have joined the battalion sometime post January 1916, was he a regular soldier before the war do you know?

I suspect that he was a member of B company platoon who were sent forward No Mans Land , to 'test the water' making a new Artillery road for the guns to be brought up. This entailed "Going over No Mans land and captured Hun trenches" the plan was if it was quite they were to be reinforced by the rest of B company, however they were "heavily shelled and suffered casualties"

Also states in diary "Work had to be stopped until dark as the enemy apparently still had this part under observation."

I would be very interested in seeing the company photo if possible.

George / Stuart thanks for the kind words, and Stuart thanks for the XL spreadsheet, just realised I never thanked you for it , I have pored over it and have transferred it to Access. Hoping to add to it and put it on the website soon.

John

I am intermittently researching Pte. 270611 George W Senior, who was married to my mother's cousin. The medal rolls confirm that he served in the 12th Royal Scots. he was wounded and subsequently captured by the germans during the spring offensive, and that fact was reported in his local newspaper in Bradford in late May 1918.

I can see from Ewing's history of the regiment that the 12th were heavily engaged twice during the spring battles, and realistically I suppose that its unlikely that I can identify the engagement unless the Red Cross respond with some information as the burnt records do not include him.

Can anyone please advise me whether there is any deeper or additional record of the events of the spring offensive as it affected the 12th Royal Scots in the History of the 9th Division, than in the regimental history, or is the same information just reproduced?

I have downloaded the March/April 1918 war diary although this weekend will be my first chance to examine it.

Any help about additional sources would be much appreciated.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Hi :)

Not researching as such, as he is not a relative but...I do have a photo album relating to James Johnston, 1/4th Royal Scots, mostly regarding Gallipoli as I recall...I say "as I recall" because it is in store in Edinburgh (from where I come) and I am in Hong Kong...however, if anyone is interested, can dig it out on next trip home...

Regards

Graham Thompson

(ex (late 1980s...) 2 Coy, 2/52 Lowland Vols, maintained traditions of RS TA battalions such as Dandy 9th...)

Graham,

I'm sure John Duncan will be interested in your photo album.Check out his Web-Site-Newbattle at War.

Mind you, it's a wee bit biased towards the 8th Royal Scots. :D

George

Graham,

I'm sure John Douglas will be interested in your photo album.Check out his Web-Site-Newbattle at War.

Mind you, it's a wee bit biased towards the 8th Royal Scots. :D

George

Thanks for that, will check it out...without the album in front of me, I cannot recall where the chap came from, or if indeed it said...

Hi Graham, George I certanly would be interested in the album, but hey George who's this guy John Douglas? :D

Oops John,corrected.

I did tell you, I was still defrosting from a certain Footie Game. :D

George

Hi Graham, George I certanly would be interested in the album, but hey George who's this guy John Douglas? :D

OK noted, I will see if I can find it next time I am back in Embra....

• 2 weeks later...

Dycer, profuse apologies for the delay in thanking you for Diary info on Kenneth Thomson 8th

Royal Scots provided. greatfully received. I have just spread myself too thin lately and keep

getting sidetracked on other relatives

John, thanks also again. The picture I told you about is Adobe format and I would gladly send it if I could sus out attach. I have not given up yet.

alan

• 2 weeks later...

Hello;

If anyone can help me with where to go for information about 1st Battalion Scots Guards and their actions on the 14th October 1917 I would be very gratreful. That date happens to be my birthday [but 66 yrs later] but also the date my great uncle died.

Regards

Matt,

Unfortunately the Scots Guards and Royal Scots are two different Regiments.

Unless you have already done so,I recommend you post your question in either the Soldiers Section(quoting your Grt/Uncles Name and Regiment) or the Units Section(quoting the Regiment and date).

George

Here's a couple Royal Scots to put out there for additional info:

L.Cpl Archibald McAlpine, 41176, B Coy, 13th RS, kia 15.9.18

Rfn W. Curr, 1727, Y Coy, 1/5 RS

Jesse

How many Pals are researching The Royal Scots, in any aspect, during The Great War? If you are, which battalion(s) are you researching?

It may be that others who are researching the regiment, or soldiers of the regiment, have the info you need. How about using this thread to keep in touch.

As you may or may not know my interest is in the 13th battalion and I am always looking out for information, photos, stories etc... to do with the battalion.

All the best,

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Further to my earlier post, I am back in the UK and have now dug out the small photo album from the 1/4th Royal Scots lad. I do not have immediate access to a scanner but will try to get the photos/postcards done shortly - there are actually not as many as I had recalled, nor are any related to Gallipoli. Memory is failing me - must be getting old !

However, the personal details that I can glean from the photos and annotations on the backs of some of the pictures are as follows :

* on one card he gives his address as

475 Transport Sergeant Jas [i.e James] Johnston

A Coy 1/4 Royal Scots

156 Brigade

52 Lowland Division

Med. Exped. Force

* several photos show the lads in what is clearly a desert

* one card gives address as "Laherich, Egypt 1915" (not 100% sure of spelling)

* one photo is labelled "coming back from Magdaba", 24/12/16 - Battle of Maghdaba ? Date seems right, although this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Magdhaba has no mention of the RS

* one postcard is of Cairo

* one postcard is of Jerusalem - he writes on the back of this "just a postcard to let you know I am allowed up now", implying he was perhaps wounded or ill at some stage

* one photo shows a nice group of lads in Holyrood Park, Edinburgh

I see from a couple of references in my library that 1/4th Royal Scots were in Gallipoli (June 1915-January 1916), Egypt (January 1916-1917) and Palestine. I would guess these photos relate to his time in Egypt.

Does any of those mean anything to anyone ? Hope to get pics up soon, but don't hold your breath for anything startling !

Hi Tim.

Could you tell me if posible, what Royal Scots units were in the area of Villers-au Flos, Bancourt,and Fremicourt during 21st/26th March 1918? and were there any in that area during the fighting in

August/September 1918, when we started to push the Germans back after their Offensive ground to a halt.Hope you can help.

Best Regards Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Researching Pvt. Bertie THOMPSON 270652 17Btn Royal Scots, previously with the HLI. Not bad for a lad from the heart of industrial West Riding Of Yorkshire.

He died on 25/03/1918

Love to hear from anyone who has any more detail, I have him on the various census and also cuttings from the local papers.

Tim Bickerdike

• 2 weeks later...

For John Duncan, John I think I tried to send you a few pics by email on your

NewBattle site address just wondering if they landed with you or dissappered

in the ether.

cheers

bullyman