Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots

Tim Godden

Hi Jack.

Sorry I did not see your earlier post. In answer to your question my Great-Uncle was Robert Hogg of Galashiels born 1899. I have received some helpful replies on another thread under Soldiers but my efforts at ancestry.com searching military and other records has not found a match (based on the info I possess) other than indirectly through my Grandfather William Hogg and an 1891 census. If I find him and he was part of the 16th Bttn that would be a nice coincidence. I am awaiting some further information from my sister on my Dundee roots and that might assist me.

cheers,

peter

Robert Johnstone Yorke 375914 2/10th. Sustained GSW on 25 April 1918. Am guessing this might be with 11th or 12th Bat around Kemmelberg. Can anyone do a Medal Roll look up to see if any Battalion information is contained? Thanks.

How many Pals are researching The Royal Scots, in any aspect, during The Great War? If you are, which battalion(s) are you researching?

It may be that others who are researching the regiment, or soldiers of the regiment, have the info you need. How about using this thread to keep in touch.

As you may or may not know my interest is in the 13th battalion and I am always looking out for information, photos, stories etc... to do with the battalion.

All the best,

Tim

Hi Tim, I have compiled over thirty books about the Lanarkshire men who died in the two world wars, would you like the details I have about the Royal Scots that are in the books or just the battalion you are interested in?

Regards

Joe O'Raw (weejoe)

• 3 weeks later...

CSM W H YORKE 8th 13th & 5/6th Battalions RS. Award of Military Medal.

Thanks for help on this - struck gold in local press - article of May 1920 from Haddington covered award of medal to CSM Yorke by Town Council. Contained full details -

On 2nd Oct 1918, Company Sergeant Major Yorke was attached to the 32nd Division, with which he took part in the battle of the Somme. The Germans having been driven from the Somme, they were followed up in their retreat until they reached the village of Sequehart. This village the enemy strongly held. The 5/6th Battalion of the Royal Scots received orders to take the village. They advanced and captured it twice, but it was lost equally as often. It was found that the fire from the enemy machine guns was so deadly, and the loss of officers and men so great, that a temporary halt had to be called to prevent further sacrifice of life. All the officers of Sergeant Major Yorke’s company were killed or wounded, with the exception of one lieutenant. Before a third attack could be made to capture the village, it was necessary to remove a certain German machine gun post, which was the main obstacle. Sergeant Major Yorke consulted with his Company Officer, the only one he had left fit for action. With eight or nine men of his company, he volunteered for the arduous task. These brave fellows, unnoticed, crawled along the ground to the right flank of the enemy position, and, when within fifty or sixty yards, got to their feet and made an attack, capturing the machine gun and eight men. The remainder of the enemy retreated as quickly as they could, with the result that Sergeant Major Yorke’s company advanced, and the village was captured a third time and held.

I will now pursue relevant War Diary entries.

Richard

6th battalion 2/Lt J A Stewart looking into if he was awarded a french criox de guerre or not in his group but no sign on the LG

MC

Robert Johnstone Yorke 375914 2/10th. Sustained GSW on 25 April 1918. Am guessing this might be with 11th or 12th Bat around Kemmelberg. Can anyone do a Medal Roll look up to see if any Battalion information is contained? Thanks.

I have Robert's service record which is pretty faded, he enlisted in D Coy 2/10 RS in October,1916 and appears to have joined the 15th RS at some point in 1917 this page is hard to make out put he was an unpaid L/Cpl. His discharge papers in 1919 give him as 15th RS and his conduct sheet is signed by a Capt in ,I think' C Coy , 15th RS , the 15th is definite. He is marked as being transferred to the UK on 30th April,presumably as a result of his GSW on 25th April,1918.

John

John:

VMT - have just picked up Ancestry file as well, have seen all the traffic on the Ancestry carrying of the Burnt records - but if you find it you find it. Had a go at his brother - CSM WH Yorke - but drew a blank. However if you see other post you can see that his picture is building nicely.

R J Yorke's GSW remains to be pinned down - with 34 Div the LLT says that the Div were withdrawn to area west of Poperinge on 21 April - and yet he got shot 4 days later when it looks like they were not on the line.

Can anyone say where 15th Bat were on 25 April 18 ?

Richard

How many Pals are researching The Royal Scots, in any aspect, during The Great War? If you are, which battalion(s) are you researching?

It may be that others who are researching the regiment, or soldiers of the regiment, have the info you need. How about using this thread to keep in touch.

As you may or may not know my interest is in the 13th battalion and I am always looking out for information, photos, stories etc... to do with the battalion.

All the best,

Tim

Thanks Tim - just seen this. Of my 248 Maldon and Heybridge men, I have thefollowing (and some details about them):

(No. 154) Second Lieutenant John Hobbs MC, RS (The Lothian Regiment) (1st Batt.) Died 28/6/1915

(No. 227) Private James W. Merryweather RS Fusiliers (6th/7th Batt.) Died 24/9/1917

(No. 244) Private John M. Whitrow RS Fusiliers (7th Battalion) Died 26/9/1915

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

5/6th - 1/2/3 Oct 1918. Sequehart.

National Archive won't even quote on copying these pages for me. Might anyone be able to tell me what is in the War Diary ?

Hi John

just to follow up from this

"As far as I am aware I don't have anything on Peter, however I have checked and his will is held at the National Archives of Scotland in Edinburgh. The reference is SC70/8/244/33 and is was filled out on 12th April, 1915 which is probably when he left for France. I t cant be viewed online but you can order a digital copy from NAS, from memory I think it is £10 which is a bit steep but cheaper than visiting, you can't take photos any in the NAS. The will is on his AB64 paybook, the original are not available for viewing anymore as they are falling to bits. There should be an address on that hopefully."

I applied for it and got it yesterday

Did not say a great deal but a few things I got out of it are

- will was dated 12.04.15 and seems to have been hastily written on a pice of paper ( I thought it would be something like the Australian WW1 records where it is a form to fill out) and he has written that everything is to go to his wife, but he has her name as Ellizy McIntosh, I presume his nickname for her , as she was Elizabeth, although on the 1901 census it was listed as Lizzie! Their address was No 2 Little Lockend Close (if someone can confirm that) Canongate Edinburgh. There are lots of numbers, but the only one I recognise is the reference one you noted above.

It also has 15822 D Coy 12 RS, so I presume that means he was with the 12th company?

John, you mentioned also the AB64 paybook- is it possible to get a copy of that?? and do I do a similar thing?

thanks for your help

regards

Robert

Hi Robert

First off got your PM but I am having problems with messenger, it's full and I am having bother trying to delete space to make a reply, I will try and sort it out today.

Regarding the will , the bit you have should be the page ripped out the AB64 paybook, there should be another two pages of admin forms sent with the will to Scotland.

Little Lochend Close is in the Old Town of Edinburgh, it's part of the Canongate down near the Scottish Parliament. Most of the houses were knocked down when I was a kid in the 60's,( I was born at Abbeyhill round the corner). Panmure House the original Earl Haig factory was there, it still stands in fact.

His will indicates he was 12th Battalion, D Company, does the will look something like this (right hand side) This will is still in the paybook as fortunately young James survived the war.

John

Hi John

Thanks for the reply.

I think Peter wrote his sideways and yes there were 4 pages. The first is a INFORMAL WILL with items to be filled in, the second has numbers - C/216247 M'I 30/05/16, 15822 Pte P McIntosh, 11/R Scots , h48758.

The 3rd page is his actual handwritten will and the tear is along the long edge so he has written it side on, and in a hurry by the look of it and the last page is the back of that with a watemark and E/2162471 M/8758 and SC70/8/224/33(3)- which is the identification number in the archives.

regards

Robert

Most of you are probably already aware of this , especially the members of my website, but just to say that I have picture galleries relating to the

1st,2nd,3rd,4th,5th,6th,7th,8th,9th,10th,11th,12th 13th, 15th and 16th Battalions.

I will be adding more photos this week from various sources

John

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any knowledge of where I could get a copy of 'privately type-written book called the "Journal of an Edinburgh Mountaineer" details one mans war from 1914 till he was wounded in the attack on HIGH WOOD plenty of good detail and many names {9th r.s.}'? I saw this in a very early post on this thread and I cant seem to pm 'barkalotloudly' who posted it. My Gt Grandfather was killed in this action and I would love to read this man's account, particularly if L/Cpl Charles Gordon Stuart, who was attached to the 9th RS, is mentioned.

Sgt,

Cannot help directly but on the front page of this Forum you will see a reference to a Book,currently in print entitled"Private Beatson's War".

He was a member of the 9th,lost his life in High Wood,and his diary has been reprinted.

I doubt your Forebear is referred to,but you will at least gain an understanding of his life and feelings by reading the Book.

George

Sgt,

Cannot help directly but on the front page of this Forum you will see a reference to a Book,currently in print entitled"Private Beatson's War".

He was a member of the 9th,lost his life in High Wood,and his diary has been reprinted.

I doubt your Forebear is referred to,but you will at least gain an understanding of his life and feelings by reading the Book.

George

Thanks for that George, I have heard of the book but didn't know it related to the 9th, much appreciated.

Joe

George,

I have checked on Ancesrtry and Private Beatson's WW1 record shows he died in same action as my Gt Grandfather, so will be buying this book shortly, can't believe I didn't look closer at it before.

Thanks again.

Joe

Forgot to say still interested in "Journal of an Edinburgh Mountaineer" as well if anyone knows of it.

Joe,

I'll have to buy it myself sometime,if nothing more than because a photo John Duncan and I supplied appears in the Book. :lol:

Glad to help.

George

5th/6th battalions mostly

MC

I have had a look at some excerpts of the book and although the intial part doesn't relate to my Gt Grandfather's time in the 9th, he was transferred to the 12th RS after leaving the Royal Scots Greys after promotion, he was only attached to the 9th RS after returning from being hospitalised as a result of a GSW to the neck on the opening day at Loos, it still will give me a feel of how things were and I would like to think since they both fell on same night they at least knew each other, however by all accounts its seems a good read, thanks.

Joe,

I'll have to buy it myself sometime,if nothing more than because a photo John Duncan and I supplied appears in the Book. :lol:

Glad to help.

George

I joined John's RS website (we both belong to same village of Newtongrange, but I left there in 1975 so I don't think we would have met) over the festive period, it is excellent and even has a photo of a distant relative of my father who was KIA in 1914.

John, do you by any chance have the war diaries for the 9th RS for 1st - 12th April 1917

interesting discoveries in last burnt records prompts a partial switch from 8th btn to 9th btn.

very very much appreciated.

cheers

bullyman

John, do you by any chance have the war diaries for the 9th RS for 1st - 12th April 1917

interesting discoveries in last burnt records prompts a partial switch from 8th btn to 9th btn.

very very much appreciated.

cheers

bullyman

Unfortunately I dont have the 9th's Diary, I do have the 8th's Diary and can check that for you.

Incidentally the diaries I do have are 8th, 11th,12th,15th and 16th for the duration of the war.

John

Unfortunately I dont have the 9th's Diary, I do have the 8th's Diary and can check that for you.

Incidentally the diaries I do have are 8th, 11th,12th,15th and 16th for the duration of the war.

John

John,

Jumping on bandwagon a wee bit here but do you have the diaries for 12th from 3/6-29/9/15?

Joe