Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots

Tim Godden

Hi bullyman , oops the pictures had temporarily disappeared into the ether between my ears, :rolleyes: I received them thanks, and will try to get them on the site tonight. Thanks for reminding me , been a bit snowed under recently.

John

Hello!

Has anyone out there got information on the 9th Royal Scots in September 1917?

I have a sports medal from 1916 which was awarded to a G.F. Marshall. He was 351438 L/Clp George F Marshall who was from Kirkcaldy. He died of wounds on 23rd September 1917, and is buried in Dozinghem Military Cemetery.

I know that the 9th Royal Scots were in action on the 20th September, and I assume that L/Cpl Marshall was wounded either on that date or just after.

Does any member have information on the 9th relevant to the time in which the battalion was in the above action?

Many thanks

Owain.

Owain,

As part of the 51st(Highland) Division the 9th Royal Scots would be involved in the fighting at the Menin Road(Ypres) on the 20th September 1917.

This engagement is recorded by the 9th's Sister Battalion, the 8th Royal Scots who also formed part of the Highland Division.

George

• 3 weeks later...
How many Pals are researching The Royal Scots, in any aspect, during The Great War? If you are, which battalion(s) are you researching?

It may be that others who are researching the regiment, or soldiers of the regiment, have the info you need. How about using this thread to keep in touch.

As you may or may not know my interest is in the 13th battalion and I am always looking out for information, photos, stories etc... to do with the battalion.

All the best,

Tim

hi, im looking fo any info on the 10th h.l.i and on 1471 pte t. lightbody 10/h.l.i i have seen his london gaz info re his dcm but would love to know and see more documents, why so little info on the 10th/ h.l.i

many thanks

hugh

Hi Hugh

This is a thread for the Royal Scots and very few HLI buffs will pick it up here. You would be better starting a new thread , I am sure somebody will pick it up then ,it makes it easier to search for as well. But for the record 10th HLI

10th (Service) Battalion

Formed at Hamilton in August 1914 as part of K1 and attached to 28th Brigade in 9th (Scottish) Division.

Moved to Bordon and in March 1915 went on to Bramshott.

Landed at Boulogne 12 May 1915.

6 May 1915 : attached to South African Brigade in same Division.

14 May 1916 : transferred to 46th Brigade in 15th (Scottish) Division and amalgamated with 11th (Service) Bn to form 10/11th Bn.

1 February 1918 : transferred to 119th Brigade in 40th Division.

16 February 1918 : transferred to 120th Brigade in same Division.

6 May 1918 : reduced to cadre.

3 June 1918 : transferred to 34th Division.

16 June 1918 : transferred to 43rd Brigade in 14th (Light) Division at Boulogne and returned to England. Moved to Brookwood near Aldershot.

21 June 1918 : rebuilt by absorbing 22nd battalion and retitled as 10th Bn.

5 July 1918 : landed at Boulogne.

John

I am researching my Grandfather Seaba Banna of the 5th Royal Scots. I have some of the war diaries of their preparation and their voyage to Gallipoli. However what I am primarily interested in is his transfer along with a number of Royal Scots to the 88th Machine Gun brigade within the 29th Division when they went to France. His service records have obviously been destroyed but I would be interested in the names of any of the others who joined the MGC whose service records do exist. Better still any body seen the 88th or as they later became 29th MGC

Thanks Glen

Hi Glen

I have the record for Pte 2366 William Thomas Muir, very close to your Grandfather Pte 2319 , he enlisted on the 3rd September 1914 and was on home service until he was posted to the MEF (Gallipoli) March 1915, marked as arriving there 25/4/1915 (the same as your Grandfather) in a query re his 15 Star entitlement, he then served in that theatre until he transferred to the MGC on 25th April,1916. He was wounded in action on 12th Ocober,1916 and died of his wounds the following day. His papers are endorsed by the Officer Commanding 88 Company MGC.

He is buried at DARTMOOR CEMETERY, BECORDEL-BECOURT cemetery, reading the information he may have been wounded and passed through the XV Corps Main Dressing Station.

Hope this assists - John

PS A very unusual surname you have, and one I have never heard of before, can I be cheeky and ask its origin please.

Also is anyone else getting emails saying bflatbass has posted on this and seeing nothing other than his first post re HLI ? :huh:

Hi Glen

I have the record for Pte 2366 William Thomas Muir, very close to your Grandfather Pte 2319 , he enlisted on the 3rd September 1914 and was on home service until he was posted to the MEF (Gallipoli) March 1915, marked as arriving there 25/4/1915 (the same as your Grandfather) in a query re his 15 Star entitlement, he then served in that theatre until he transferred to the MGC on 25th April,1916. He was wounded in action on 12th Ocober,1916 and died of his wounds the following day. His papers are endorsed by the Officer Commanding 88 Company MGC.

He is buried at DARTMOOR CEMETERY, BECORDEL-BECOURT cemetery, reading the information he may have been wounded and passed through the XV Corps Main Dressing Station.

Hope this assists - John

PS A very unusual surname you have, and one I have heard heard of before, can I be cheeky and ask its origin please.

Also is anyone else getting emails saying bflatbass has posted on this and seeing nothing? :huh:

Thanks John

He was born in Scotland. Its a common name in the Middle East and I think his father came to Scotland as a butler via India. There were three sons who went to war. James Notman Banna KOSB who was wounded at Hill 60, Kallia who was in the RFA and my grandfather Seaba.

Thanks for taking the time and supplying the information

Regards Glen

Tim

I posted a few pics of 2/5 Royal Scots on the "Soldiers" board yesterday. Am happy to repost them here if you would like?

Regards,

TimP

Tim.

It's probably worth just leaving them on the Soldiers' section.

Hopefully, anyone researching the Battalion in the future will type in 2/5 Royal Scots in the Forum Search engine and find them.

If you have a general interest in the Royal Scots in WW1 have a look at John Duncan's Web-site-Newbattle at War-you'll find a wealth of photos and information on it.

George

Hi Hugh

This is a thread for the Royal Scots and very few HLI buffs will pick it up here. You would be better starting a new thread , I am sure somebody will pick it up then ,it makes it easier to search for as well. But for the record 10th HLI

10th (Service) Battalion

Formed at Hamilton in August 1914 as part of K1 and attached to 28th Brigade in 9th (Scottish) Division.

Moved to Bordon and in March 1915 went on to Bramshott.

Landed at Boulogne 12 May 1915.

6 May 1915 : attached to South African Brigade in same Division.

14 May 1916 : transferred to 46th Brigade in 15th (Scottish) Division and amalgamated with 11th (Service) Bn to form 10/11th Bn.

1 February 1918 : transferred to 119th Brigade in 40th Division.

16 February 1918 : transferred to 120th Brigade in same Division.

6 May 1918 : reduced to cadre.

3 June 1918 : transferred to 34th Division.

16 June 1918 : transferred to 43rd Brigade in 14th (Light) Division at Boulogne and returned to England. Moved to Brookwood near Aldershot.

21 June 1918 : rebuilt by absorbing 22nd battalion and retitled as 10th Bn.

5 July 1918 : landed at Boulogne.

John

THANK YOU, sorry im in the wrong section, again many thanks for the info.

Hugh

• 3 months later...

He is buried at DARTMOOR CEMETERY, BECORDEL-BECOURT cemetery, reading the information he may have been wounded and passed through the XV Corps Main Dressing Stationre the post from John Duncan

I have a diary belong to Cpl Angus Mackay 88th Brigade Machine Gun Corps ex Royal Scots his diary entries for 12th October and 13th October 1916 are reproduced below from my book 'Awake for Morning' about 5th Royals Scots serving in the 88th Brigade Machine Gun Corps, 29th Division.

The 88th Brigades machine gunners covered the Newfoundlanders as they advanced into ‘Hilt’ trench, “12th October 1916-Thursday, had a tramp to HQ for rations, I was out in the open so it was quite exciting. We took our guns out in to shell holes and covered NFLD (Newfoundlanders) advance at 3.30pm. Got our gun knocked out and my mate and 2 others were outed for 3hrs.”

The 88th Brigade machine gunners had suffered badly under the artillery fire, on his return to safer positions behind the lines Angus Mackay wrote in his diary, “13th October 1916-Friday, came down to HQ with two of our guns which had been knocked out. Awful shellfire, several more of our chaps wounded. We remain at HQ but are stilly shaky on our pins. Sent Postcards to Home and John.”

One man was killed-

W T MUIR

Private

88th Coy., Machine Gun Corps

Ex Royal Scots

Glen I'll find the info you need and get back to you

Regards

Ali

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I am new to this but would be intersted in some information on the 3rd Royal Scots. My Grandfather , William Simpson, was in this regiment (according to his marriage form, which is the only document I have of his involvement in the war). I wrote to MOD years ago but they said his service documents were destroyed. I do not have his army number, but would like to find it. My main problem is I live in Australia and so far the relatives I have contacted in England have not come up with anything.

I have tried to post the marriage form on this and other forums but it wont load. Maybe too big?

He was not killed in the war so CWGC is no good.

Any ideas greatly appreciated

regards

Robert Simpson

Robert,

Welcome to the Forum.

If you access the Site's Introductory Page you'll see a sub-section entitled Infantry Regiments.If you open this you'll find the Royal Scots and a piece about the 3rd Battalion.

You will note that it never left UK.This does not automatically mean that your Grandfather did not see service abroad.He may have been in the 3rd Battalion,at the time of his marriage,prior to service abroad in another Battalion or at home,from another Battalion due to illness or recovering from wounds.

Where and when did your Grandparents get married,also your Grandfather's address per the Marriage Certificate. ?The local Newspapers often carried details of these events adding details of current or past military service.

If you can identify the Town,one of us may be able to visit the local Library,on your behalf, to look at the back copies of the Paper.

George

Hi George

Thanks for your reply.

I will put the details in the soldiers forum as I think that is more appropriate and other people may read it and reply, if that is ok

I will put in all the info you asked for

regards

Robert

He is buried at DARTMOOR CEMETERY, BECORDEL-BECOURT cemetery, reading the information he may have been wounded and passed through the XV Corps Main Dressing Stationre the post from John Duncan

I have a diary belong to Cpl Angus Mackay 88th Brigade Machine Gun Corps ex Royal Scots his diary entries for 12th October and 13th October 1916 are reproduced below from my book 'Awake for Morning' about 5th Royals Scots serving in the 88th Brigade Machine Gun Corps, 29th Division.

The 88th Brigades machine gunners covered the Newfoundlanders as they advanced into 'Hilt' trench, "12th October 1916-Thursday, had a tramp to HQ for rations, I was out in the open so it was quite exciting. We took our guns out in to shell holes and covered NFLD (Newfoundlanders) advance at 3.30pm. Got our gun knocked out and my mate and 2 others were outed for 3hrs."

The 88th Brigade machine gunners had suffered badly under the artillery fire, on his return to safer positions behind the lines Angus Mackay wrote in his diary, "13th October 1916-Friday, came down to HQ with two of our guns which had been knocked out. Awful shellfire, several more of our chaps wounded. We remain at HQ but are stilly shaky on our pins. Sent Postcards to Home and John."

One man was killed-

W T MUIR

Private

88th Coy., Machine Gun Corps

Ex Royal Scots

Glen I'll find the info you need and get back to you

Regards

Ali

Hi Ali

Out of interest as I was going through this forum I came across this. My Grandmother's maiden name was Muir and she was from Salsburgh Shotts Lanarkshire as were her family from around that area. They were all coal miners. Just wondering if there is any connection as I am interested in family members who served.

Thanks for your time

yours sincerely

Robert Simpson

Evening folks, just popped in to say that I have added about 200 newspapers photos of Royal Scots , killed, wounded etc to the Photo Gallery of my website. They are predominantly from the 5th and 9th RS, but there are 1st, 2nd,3rd, 4th,6th, 7th and 8th there as well. I have about another 100 to go on and will get back to you when they are on.

John

Hi John

Would you have any information on Peter McIntosh 15822 11th Battalion Royal Scots, KIA 25/4/16.

I have his MIC, CWGC form and photo of grave. No service records available, but I do have those of his brother James also KIA 18/8/16 3/6814 2nd Btn Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders.

He was married to my Grandmother before my Grandfather was and I am in communication with some of their descendants.

Would be great to see photo, newspaper item etc. to acknowledge their sacrifice and send to the relies.

thanks

Robert

:rolleyes:

PS Also George, if you know anyone who can go to Coatbridge to look at the paper that would be good. Also if anyone can help with the McIntosh's as well regarding old papers etc I would appreciate it. Ta

Hi John

Would you have any information on Peter McIntosh 15822 11th Battalion Royal Scots, KIA 25/4/16.

I have his MIC, CWGC form and photo of grave. No service records available, but I do have those of his brother James also KIA 18/8/16 3/6814 2nd Btn Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders.

He was married to my Grandmother before my Grandfather was and I am in communication with some of their descendants.

Would be great to see photo, newspaper item etc. to acknowledge their sacrifice and send to the relies.

thanks

Robert

As far as I am aware I don't have anything on Peter, however I have checked and his will is held at the National Archives of Scotland in Edinburgh. The reference is SC70/8/244/33 and is was filled out on 12th April, 1915 which is probably when he left for France. I t cant be viewed online but you can order a digital copy from NAS, from memory I think it is £10 which is a bit steep but cheaper than visiting, you can't take photos any in the NAS. The will is on his AB64 paybook, the original are not available for viewing anymore as they are falling to bits. There should be an address on that hopefully.

The Scottish National War Memorial have James dying on 18/03/1916 , he does not have a will. I will keep my eyes peeled for anything.

John

Hi John

Thanks for the information

With James there seems to be 2 dates 18/8 and 18/3 so presume mistake somewhere, in my research more sites had August so have used that but stand to be corrected. Thanks for looking out for things on them.

With Peter will have to get his will sometime when I can afford it.

appreciate your help

Robert

PS Do you have any thoughts on the questions I have raised with my Grandfather's records?

Hi John

PS Do you have any thoughts on the questions I have raised with my Grandfather's records?

Hi Robert

Re him being quoted as a Lance Cpl in one place and a Private elsewhere , this is entirely possible, he was probably Lance Corporal (unpaid) which is a local promotion and usually temporary, probably a family member gave his rank as such for the book. I think similarly the 13th RS is a typo in the book , his Medal Card is an official document and (hopefully) correct. The 13th were in a different Division to the 12th for the entire war, the 11th were the 12th's sister battalion in the 9th Scottish Division. Re James it probably a misread on the part of the Scottish National War Memorial, CWGC has him as 18/8.

John

Further to my post of a couple of days ago re pictures from the newspapers, I have added about 500 now and will be adding more as the week goes on , certainly a good few more to go yet. Due to the large number of them I have not tagged all of them but they are sorted by Battalion, the huge number of 5th RS makes me appreciate what a tough time they had at the Dardanelles.

John

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone

With rergards to William Simpson, as on his MIC, I can get the war diaries for the 12 battalion Royal Scots online from the National Archives but the 3rd does not come up in the National Archives. I realise the 3rd did not go into battle and have read what is on The Long, Long Trail but I am wondering if there are diaries but they are not digitized.

If so does anyone have them as I would like to see if I can find him in there.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to where to look to see why he was transferred?

I suppose I can wait and see if his service records come up on Ancestry.

thanks

Robert