Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots

Tim Godden

Guest Trevor Williams

Hi all, my first post to this excellent Forum, so here goes....

I am currently researching my grandfather, Private John Stewart 12501 of the 12th Bn.Royal Scots. His name is on the Loos Memorial, panels 10-13, according to his entry in the CWGC.He died in the Battle of Loos on 25th September.

As far as I can gather, he might have been part of the attack that captured Fosse 8 and Pekin Trench in the early part of the battle. This might explain why his body was never recovered, as these gains were lost later in the day to a vigorous German counter-attack.

If any members have further information about the 12th Bn. on this day, or any photographs of them from any period prior to this battle, I would love to hear from you.

• 1 month later...

Any information available on 2474 Pte William Nelson 5th Royal Scots

Killed/missing 28 June 1915

I have found ref to his index card 372/14 and that he is on Helles Memorial Panel 26-30

Any info for that date from diaries etc would be appreciated.

Paul

• 3 months later...

Can someone tell me please where the 2nd Bn Royal Scots were on 1st October 1915.

Does anyone have a War Diary for that date and also the 30th September.

I would also like to know what the term "2/10th" means. I take it "10th" is the Batallion, but is "2" the Regiment?

Thaks in anticipation

David

Hi,

I am very new to this group, i posted last night for the first time and got an amazing result!

I am searching for any information on the 15th battalion of the Royal Scots.

Jack very kindly sent me information regarding my grandfather William Sinclair private 17744. He had enlisted in Manchester in September 1914 and was transferred to Edinburth to make up a shortfall, but when the unit left Scotland to complete training in England William appears to have remained behind with the reserve company?? so william didnt go on to serve with the battalion in France and Flanders.

Kind Regards

Annette Reilly

Hi all

I am researching the Royal Scots 5bn or 5/6 bn, My gr grandfather was KIA in Gallipoli

ANY info greatly appreciated Simon Munro (CSM) reg no. 968

buried Greenhill Cemetery

I dont know if there are war diaries or such....

This is a great site and have learnt a lot already ...always ready to learn more

Thanks for your time

adsmum

Details

Surname MUNRO

Firstname Simon F

Service Number 968

Date Death 27/09/1915

Decoration

Place of birth Beauly Inverness-shire

Other 5th Bn.

SNWM roll THE ROYAL SCOTS (LOTHIAN REGIMENT)

Rank A/SM

Theatre of death Gallipoli.

Acting RSM S F Munro was killed along with 5 others ranks when a shell landed in a sap-head in front of the trenches. pp217 Royal Scots History Vol 1.

Aye

Malcolm

Hi Malcom

And WOW thank you very much for that info, would you know if there was any diaries etc around for that period of time for that Bn ?

Thanks again

I really appreciate it,

Adsmum

Guest KevinEndon

Could a Royal Scot researcher have a look at the war diaries for me please for the following battalions

2nd Btn weeks leading upto and including 9th April 1917 and 4th June 1917

13th Btn weeks leading upto and including 16th May 1918

There are 6 men from the Royal Scots on Kilbirnie memorial, 5 I have identified 1 more needs bringing in from the cold.

Out of the 5 identified 3 were killed in action and it would be nice to see where they were and what they were up to when they paid the ultimate sacrafice.

There is one other Royal Scot on the memorial who I cannot find a link to either Kilbirnie or Glengarnock. He is down as being Private Andrew Boyce, Royal Scots. That is the only info I have on him. There is nothing in Ayrshire Roots, local newspaper or the Glasgow Evening times roll of honour.

Hope you can look up the diary for the above dates.

Many thanks in advance

Kevin

Hallo Gents,

here some information that might be of interest to you.

1919: Castlebar Infantry Barracks 10th Cycling Battalion Royal Scots in Castlebar, and Ballinrobe Infantry Barracks, County Mayo, Ireland

" CONNAUGHT TELEGRAPH, October 4th 1919:-

Local Items:

The 10th Cycling Battalion of the Royal Scots, stationed in Castlebar during the past year gave a farewell

regimental dance in the Courthouse on Tuesday night, it being well attended."

From research material on a book I am working on.

Connaught Stranger :D

• 1 month later...
13th Btn weeks leading upto and including 16th May 1918

If you let me know the weeks in question I will have a look.

Regards,

Tim

I have a great named group photo of the Sergeants of the 5th QER Battalion, Royal Scots. It was taken in or near Edinburgh before they went to Gallipoli. I will post the list of names later. I can't at present post bits of the photo on the forum, yet. I can't seem to get my camera to talk to my computor, some sort of lovers tiff :lol: . But when I do get it to work, i would be more than happy to post photo's of some of the men.

Regards,

Stewart

S F Munro is on the photo as a QMS. He seems to be wearing medal ribbons, so it seems very probable he had served as a Regular before joining the 5th Battalion.

Spyinthesky,

I think I have a bit of the war diary which covers that date. It must still be on my old computor. i will check this evening and get back to you.

Regards,

Stewart

Hi,

I am very new to this group, i posted last night for the first time and got an amazing result!

I am searching for any information on the 15th battalion of the Royal Scots.

Jack very kindly sent me information regarding my grandfather William Sinclair private 17744. He had enlisted in Manchester in September 1914 and was transferred to Edinburth to make up a shortfall, but when the unit left Scotland to complete training in England William appears to have remained behind with the reserve company?? so william didnt go on to serve with the battalion in France and Flanders.

Kind Regards

Annette Reilly

Hi, have you heard of the book 'Manchester Scottish' which I did some years ago, it covers the story of the Manchester Contingent including recruitment of the 15th Bn.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I've just started researching the 1st Garrison Battalion Royal Scots - at least that's what the medal card says - "1/G/R Scots" - served in Egypt. I would be very interested in obtaining a copy of any info if you wouldn't mind sending them to me. My wife's Great Grandfather Private Denis McCrossan died out there on 24/10/16 and had been there for a year.

I would appreciate any information anybody has on this regiment.

Thanks

Dan

Any information available on 2474 Pte William Nelson 5th Royal Scots

Killed/missing 28 June 1915

I have found ref to his index card 372/14 and that he is on Helles Memorial Panel 26-30

Any info for that date from diaries etc would be appreciated.

Paul

Got the No wrong 2754 Pte Nelson

Hi,

I did some research on temp. Lieutenant William Collins Gordon Black OBE MC TD who joined the 15th in 1914. Turned into a professional soldier serving in WW2 and beyond in the TA.

Was trying to find his company but no luck so far, nor in determining his MiD in 1917. Have bought the Manchester Scottish and waiting for the History of the RS to arrive.

I am trying to copy the available 15th war diaries as they are difficult to read from the NA downloads. If sucessful will make them available.

Owlman

Hi,

I am looking for the war diary of 2 Bn Royal Scots, september 1915 (Hooge-Bellewaarde)

Regards,

Cnock

• 1 month later...

Hi Tim,

I am researching my Grandfather, Robert Kerr, who was in the 13th Battalion Royal Scots and landed in France in October 1915. I am new to all this researching and would appreciate any information you may have on the 13th Royal Scots that would help me in my search,

Regards

Hugh

Hi Tim,

I am researching my Grandfather, Robert Kerr, who was in the 13th Battalion Royal Scots and landed in France in October 1915. I am new to all this researching and would appreciate any information you may have on the 13th Royal Scots that would help me in my search,

Regards

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

If you can give the information you have at the moment, rank, regimental number etc. it would be of assistance. Also, was he wounded, killed etc.?

Regards,

Tim

Hi Hugh,

If you can give the information you have at the moment, rank, regimental number etc. it would be of assistance. Also, was he wounded, killed etc.?

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for replying. The information I have is that he was born on 7th April 1895 (this is a definite date), and prior to joining up he lived in Mosscastle Road, Slammanan. He did his basic training in Edinburgh prior to being shipped to France (I believe it was October 1915). He was a private and he was almost certainly injured while serving in France but my living relatives are a bit hazy about the specific information regarding this. One Great Uncle thinks he was shipped back to a hospital in Leeds. I would be grateful for anything you might have.

Regards

Hugh

• 2 weeks later...

I am researching my grandfather John Hendren from Annbank, Ayr who was in the 5th Batt Royal Scots Fusiliers during the first world war

I have a copy of his medal card and I know he was awarded The Milatary Medal but I have no details of what he did or where.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Maureen

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to research one of my in-laws , Pte George Dillet 12th Battalion Royal Scots. he was KIA on the 7th of June 1916. can anyone tell where or what battle the 12th Battalion were involved at this time?

weejock

One thing I now do is photo any Royal Scot grave I come across( digital cameras are great!). I am slowly making a list! I also have contacts at the Museum.

Aye

Malcolm

Here you go Malcom

Cheers

Ian.

post-9633-1227268103.jpg