Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots

Tim Godden

Hi Tony if you PM your email addy I will send you a bigger copy

John

Euan,

War Diary entry,there may be a copy at the Castle as this is where my photocopy came from, thanks to John.

9th June 1915-No. 885 Pte.J.McNeill 8th Royal Scots)No. 1637 Pte J.Herd R.A.M.C.attached) awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for Gallant Conduct in the field.

It may be possible to find a copy of the Battalion History locally as it was originally printed in a booklet form.My copy which was transcribed and now appears on John's web-site was purchased by my Father, whose two Brothers were killed whilst serving with the 8th,shortly after the end of the War.If you want an electronic copy of the History p.m. me your e-mail address and I'll forward but you may have to make a couple of more posts, on the Forum, before being able to use the p.m. facility.

George

Thanks, I now have a pdf of the battallion history courtesy of John's website. I also have a copy of the london Gazzette entry for the notification of the award but not the subsequent citation. I can't pm yet. Does anyone know how I can get to see the full medal citation??

Euan

• 5 months later...

My Great-Grandad joined the Royal Scots 2nd Battalion in 1903 and was discharged in 1928. I don't think I can access his military records online as I believe the records for people still serving after 1921 have not yet been released. I do have the certificate of kinship form for my father to complete, but at the moment I am trying to find out where RIchard would have been during the war. I have lists of where the 2nd Battalion were as the 3rd Division, but I don't know for sure if he would have remained in the same regiment throughout his service.

If anyone has any mention of him anywhere, I would be very grateful!

Richard James Walters 1884-1951

Enlisted: 1st Oct 1903 in Manchester

Royals Scots 2nd Battalion

Regimental Number: 8627

Rank on Discharge: Warrant Officer (Class II) RQMS

According to his army book 4/2/1913 he was made Serg OR Sergt

Many Thanks,

Kate.

• Admin

Hi and welcome to the forum

Don't know if you were just looking for the war diary, which is unlikely to mention him by name or more general information. as for the latter according to his medal index card (available on Ancestry) he went to France with the 2nd Battalion on the 11th August 1914. He was a Sergeant (or Serjeant). He ended the war as a Warrant Officer Class 2 (or probably the rank of Company Quarter Master Sergeant the second most senior non-commissioned rank in the Battalion [after the Regimental Sergeant Major] which you mention in your post). It looks like he had a 'good war'.

He was awarded the 1914 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal

A second card shows he was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal in the 'Peace Gazette' for (services in) France. The Peace Gazette is the edition of the London Gazette issued on 3 June 1919.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/

I can't find the entry and I find searching the gazette the equivalent of the 9th circle of Hell, if we ask nicely I'm sure a medal expert will do it for us and that may throw more light.

References on the card are Registered Paper 0137/5618 Schedule Number 259522 but I haven't a clue what they mean.

See http://www.worcester...?main=inc/a_msm for details of the MSM

What we can say with certainty is he went out to France with the 2nd Bn and in 1919 was serving in that Bn when awarded the MSM we don't know what happened in between.

If you look at this thread http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=145000 you will see 'Jim Smithson' has the diary from April 1917; unfortunately until you have 10 posts you cant use the PM facility.

While this may be a logical place for your request you might do better to make a specific request either in 'Soldiers' or this sub forum. In the meantime suggest you get the kinship form off and have a look at the LLT Researching a soldier http://www.1914-1918...dad/grandad.htm

Ken

2RS were heavily involved at Noreuil and Lagnicourt in September 1918 and took a bit of a bashing. They remained intact, however, and saw the Hun over the Hindenburg Line. Antony

2nd Royal Scots was a Regular army battalion, part of 8th Brigade, which saw a huge amount of action. Unfortunately there is no division history for the Third Division, and they frequently get overlooked in Great War writings in favour of better-documented or more glamorous divisions.

Among the actions they were in are Mons, Le Cateau, Bellewarde/Loos, Somme (Bezantin Ridge/Longueval/Delville Wood), Ancre, Arras, 3rd Ypres (Polygon Wood), Cambrai, Lys and various actions on the Somme in the last months of the war. so your Great Grandad must have had a very busy war!

William

• Admin

Among the actions they were in are Mons, Le Cateau, Bellewarde/Loos, Somme (Bezantin Ridge/Longueval/Delville Wood), Ancre, Arras, 3rd Ypres (Polygon Wood), Cambrai, Lys and various actions on the Somme in the last months of the war. so your Great Grandad must have had a very busy war!

William

There were so few 1914 men left by 1918 (when Middlebrook interviewed men for his Kaiser's Battle he found only 2 interviewees out of more than 200 from 1914) I don't think he could have spent the entire war in a combatant role, perhaps the Gazette Reference or citation for the MSM would help. This would almost certainly be on his records, I was wondering if he was a pow as quite a few of those were awarded the MSM.

Then again he may have simply spent the war on the Battalion HQ Staff after 1914.

Ken

btw Kate check out this thread for diary http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101119&st=0

Wow thanks for all this!

I've been researching the family tree for a while but only just got around to looking into the military records and there's a whole new language to learn! I've spent about a week just figuring out what regiments and battalions and the like are!

Ken - I've found the reference in the London Gazette, in the Supplementary issue 30th May. The ref is just:

8627 R./Q.M. Sjt. Walters, R., 2nd Bn. (Edinburgh)

There's nothing else I can learn from that though is there?

I'm currently in The Gambia finishing a VSO placement and return back to the UK in about 3 weeks, so my research can begin again in earnest once I've renewed all my memberships - internet has been somewhat unreliable here!

When I get the service records, will they tell me things like if he was based at HQ or a POW then? I'm finding it hard to beleive anyone could survive all those battles.

I think someone in the family has got the medals somewhere and I know my brother has got some Regimental Silver that I think he received when he retired - is that normal? I'm finding it hard to convince everyone to dig out this information and share it with me!

Thanks for the help so far and I'll work on my posts so I can get my hands on those war diaries.

Kate.

Kate,

The Royal Scots Museum is in Edinburgh Castle.

A visit there,when you return to the UK,pack your thermals as its cold in the City at the moment :D ,may assist your research e.g. the Museum may hold a copy of the Battalion War Diary.

George

• Admin

Wow thanks for all this!

!

Ken - I've found the reference in the London Gazette, in the Supplementary issue 30th May. The ref is just:

8627 R./Q.M. Sjt. Walters, R., 2nd Bn. (Edinburgh)

There's nothing else I can learn from that though is there?

When I get the service records, will they tell me things like if he was based at HQ or a POW then? I'm finding it hard to beleive anyone could survive all those battles.

I think someone in the family has got the medals somewhere and I know my brother has got some Regimental Silver that I think he received when he retired - is that normal? I'm finding it hard to convince everyone to dig out this information and share it with me!

Thanks for the help so far and I'll work on my posts so I can get my hands on those war diaries.

Kate.

Well what we can learn is he wasn't a POW whistle.png

I guess some folk get the LG and some don't, well done - an expert already!

If you go back to page 6865 i.e. the start of a very long list you will see the medal was awarded 'in recognition of valuable; service rendered with the Armies in France and Flanders :' Edinburgh is the home town I believe and the award would almost certainly have been reported in the local paper.

I don't think it was Regimental Silver but given his long and distinguished service it would be surprising if the Regiment did not mark his retirement with some commemorative presentation (which could well have been silver, and may even be a piece of booty from a long forgotten conflict suitably inscribed.

btw now you've joined the Great War Anorak Brigade obsessives welcome, and I guess your family don't know what's comingw00t.png

Good luck with your research - and posts! (the rule is to stop spammers i don't know if think there's any way round it so ask away here!)

Ken

Ok I'll try searching Edinburgh newspaper records then. I've asked my brother to send me a photo of the silver (definately silver, I remember my Mum being pleased she didn't have ot polish it anymore when she passed it on!) so that may arrive sometime in the next few years....

• 7 months later...
<br />How many Pals are researching The Royal Scots, in any aspect, during The Great War? If you are, which battalion(s) are you researching?<br /><br />It may be that others who are researching the regiment, or soldiers of the regiment, have the info you need. How about using this thread to keep in touch.<br /><br />As you may or may not know my interest is in the 13th battalion and I am always looking out for information, photos, stories etc... to do with the battalion.<br /><br />All the best,<br /><br />Tim<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hi Tim.

The 23th Royal Scots are one of the Scottish Regiments I am interested in. My second cousin 3 times removed was killed in Frezenburg 22 August 1917.

Sheilmar

Hi Shielmar

I'm presuming that's a typo and you mean the 13th RS, can you post the lads details please, and someone might have more information.

John

• 1 month later...

Hi Shielmar

I'm presuming that's a typo and you mean the 13th RS, can you post the lads details please, and someone might have more information.

John

Hi John,

Could you possibly help please, I am trying to find a photo of my great uncle Robert Kiltie, there was one in the family in the form of a postcard with his comrades, a slim chance I know, but if I don't ask I'll never know if someone out there has perhaps the same family photograph showing their relative as part of this group of The Royal Scots, his details are as follows: Private KILTIE, ROBERT

Unit: 9th Bn.

Regiment: Royal Scots

Service No: 44248

Date of Death: 12 April 1918

Commemoration: OUTTERSTEENE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, BAILLEUL

France

Plot I. Row F. Grave 17.

Additional Information: Son of Robert and Mary Kiltie of Newton , Ayr

Kind Regards

Celtie

Celtie,

Welcome to the Forum.

If you access John Duncan's web-site-Newbattle at War-you will find over 200 photographs of 9th Battalion men.I'm not suggesting your Grt.Uncle features but you'll at least "see" some of his comrades.

George

Hi celtie

I don't have a photo of Robert Kiltie unfortunately, it may be that the group photo is of him with his comrades in the Highland Light Infantry as he transferred from them to the 9th Royal Scots, his will is stored at the NAS in Edinburgh here is the details below, it was completed shortly before his death on the 2nd April,1918.

It looks like he transferred form one the Service Battalions of the HLI fairly late in the war, though I can't be 100% but a draft of 528 men arrived at the 9th RS on the 6th of April and were pitched in on the 11th and 12th April to help hold the line, so it may have been his first and last action. Outtersteene was overrun by the Germans the day Robert died.

John

Repository National Archives of Scotland Reference SC70/8/1167/6 Title Will of 44248 Private Robert Kiltie, 9th Bn., Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment), formerly 56488 Highland Light Infantry, Cause of death: Killed in action, France and Flanders, Theatre: France and Flanders, 12 Apr 1918, on or since Dates 2 Apr 1918 Access status Open Access conditions Due to its fragile condition this will cannot be produced in the search room. Please contact a member of Search Room staff for details of how to access this document. Location Off site Description Formal will (Army Form W.3297). War Office refs: E/760698/1, 577/938797/19/20

Hi Keltie

I don't have a photo of Robert Keltie unfortunately, it may be that the group photo is of him with his comrades in the Highland Light Infantry as he transferred from them to the 9th Royal Scots, his will is stored at the NAS in Edinburgh here is the details below, it was completed shortly before his death on the 2nd April,1918.

It looks like he transferred form one the Service Battalions of the HLI fairly late in the war, though I can't be 100% but a draft of 528 men arrived at the 9th RS on the 6th of April and were pitched in on the 11th and 12th April to help hold the line, so it may have been his first and last action. Outtersteene was overrun by the Germans the day Robert died.

John

Repository National Archives of Scotland Reference SC70/8/1167/6 Title Will of 44248 Private Robert Kiltie, 9th Bn., Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment), formerly 56488 Highland Light Infantry, Cause of death: Killed in action, France and Flanders, Theatre: France and Flanders, 12 Apr 1918, on or since Dates 2 Apr 1918 Access status Open Access conditions Due to its fragile condition this will cannot be produced in the search room. Please contact a member of Search Room staff for details of how to access this document. Location Off site Description Formal will (Army Form W.3297). War Office refs: E/760698/1, 577/938797/19/20

Hi Celtie,you have quoted my post,was there something else? :-)

John

Hi John,

Many thanks for your quick reply, this is very much appreciated, Robert's father, my Great Grandfather, also Robert Kiltie, joined up at this time, I noticed on his information that the spelling of our name was Keltie as opposed to that of his son, Robert Kiltie. Keltie is also the spelling on my Great Grandfather's medal, at a time like that, an easy mistake, my Great Grandfather's service number is 110718. Some of the writing on these forms makes it a bit difficult to make out, but there seems to be another number under the heading of: Chelsea # 20251 E also Regiment: RE Depot Labour. Excuse my lack of knowledge on these matters John, and as always, when I don't know, I ask an expert. Unfortunately the photo of my Great Grandfather is also missing.

Kind Regards

Celtie

John

Hi Again John,

Just spoke with Tom at the "Castle" told him that I taken his advice and joined the site, good to know that you are acquainted, taking all the advice and help I can get in this family search.

Thanks again

Celtie

John

Hi John,

Not doing too great with posting on this site, sorry about this mix up, hope you've found my last two/

Kind Regards

Celtie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Interested in the 15th Battalion Royal Scots especially during the Arras campaign as my great grandfather David Boath 26388 was recorded as missing on the 28th of April 1917 and spent the rest of the war as a POW.

Cheers,

Gordon