Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots

Tim Godden

I sent off the Certificate of Kinship in January and still haven't recieved anything back, they warned us it might take 6 months, but 9 months later... still nothing. Has anyone else requested and recieved records recently?

Thanks,

Kate

Hi, I'm looking for diaries of the 2nd Bn Royal Scots... Struggling to get to my 10 posts required for PM's.

I've got the list of their battles, but looking for more detail.

Anything appreciated!

Thanks,

Kate

Hi Kate

If you are after WW1 records, it is quicker, easier and less expensive to search through Ancestry, but only about 40% have survived.

For MOD it is out to 12 months now, I believe.

As for the 2nd R.S. war diary - some of the R.S. diaries are online, but not that one unfortunately.

Someone here may help you out, maybe try posting some dates you are interested in?

regards

Robert

Hi, I'm looking for diaries of the 2nd Bn Royal Scots... [snip]

I've got the list of their battles, but looking for more detail.

Anything appreciated!

Thanks,

Kate

As Robert says, the 2nd Royal Scots diaries are not available online - I believe they are available at Kew, but it would also be worth doing a careful search of posts from forum members offering war diaries, just in case someone has 2nd Royal Scots.

But if you want details on a specific action then I may be able to help - I have lots of material on 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers, and from early 1916 onwards 2nd Royal Scots and 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers were virtually joined at the hip - they were the two Regular battalions in the 8th Brigade (3rd Division): both were Lowland and Regular battalions and they shared the same ethos - there are numerous occasions when the two battalions lent each other officers or gave them drafts of recruits, and in most of the brigade's actions the two battalions are paired off to work together. [unsurprisingly the similarity in the names of the two regiments caused a measure of confusion in the Great War as it still does now!]

So if you would like more details of what 2 RS were up to on specific dates from Feb 1916 onwards then I should be able to come up with information.

Also - although there is no divisional history for the 3rd Division, I think that there was a good regimental history of the Royal Scots published, although I don't know how easy it is to find copies.

William

• 2 weeks later...

8 months on and still waiting to receive the service records I have requested. Going slightly mad not being able to continue with my research... Also struggling to find legitimate ways to hit my 10 posts to PM for the war diaries. So - please forgive my blatent attmept to hit my quota.

:innocent:

Oops and again.

Hi Kate

If you are after WW1 records, it is quicker, easier and less expensive to search through Ancestry, but only about 40% have survived.

For MOD it is out to 12 months now, I believe.

As for the 2nd R.S. war diary - some of the R.S. diaries are online, but not that one unfortunately.

Someone here may help you out, maybe try posting some dates you are interested in?

regards

Robert

Hi, thanks for that. I am an Ancestry member, but Richard still served after 1921 so his records are not freely available. There is a member on here with the diaries, I'm just working on my posts to be able to send the PM needed to request them! Unfortunately there are no specific dates I'm interested in as Richard survived the whole war, so just after as much info as I can get really.

Really grateful for everyone's suggestions.

Kate

As Robert says, the 2nd Royal Scots diaries are not available online - I believe they are available at Kew, but it would also be worth doing a careful search of posts from forum members offering war diaries, just in case someone has 2nd Royal Scots.

But if you want details on a specific action then I may be able to help - I have lots of material on 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers, and from early 1916 onwards 2nd Royal Scots and 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers were virtually joined at the hip - they were the two Regular battalions in the 8th Brigade (3rd Division): both were Lowland and Regular battalions and they shared the same ethos - there are numerous occasions when the two battalions lent each other officers or gave them drafts of recruits, and in most of the brigade's actions the two battalions are paired off to work together. [unsurprisingly the similarity in the names of the two regiments caused a measure of confusion in the Great War as it still does now!]

So if you would like more details of what 2 RS were up to on specific dates from Feb 1916 onwards then I should be able to come up with information.

Also - although there is no divisional history for the 3rd Division, I think that there was a good regimental history of the Royal Scots published, although I don't know how easy it is to find copies.

William

Thanks William,

Not sure exactly what I'm after to be honest, mostly wondering how Richard managed to survive the number of battles that the 3rd division were involved in. I'm hoping his military records will give me an indication of whether he was actually on the front line or doing some support role? I don't know how detailed they are, just really really hoping the records have survived!

If and when I get them, it might give me a better idea of specific dates to ask about.

Thanks.

Kate,

As a descendant of a "Royal" who survived WW1 and continued to "serve" it is your right to have the British "Ministry of Defence" release "his" papers to you.

George

The two volume history of the Royal Scots in the Great War by Ewing has been reprinted by Naval and Military Press and can be ordered from them. About twice a year they have a promotion with a 20% discount on all items, notified by their standard emails. Alternatively, if you are in the UK, you can get access on an inter-library loan. Although not quite as detailed these are substantial volumes, and were I am sure compiled with access to the war diaries.

Keith

Keith,

Please leave the "Royals" alone wherever "they sleep".

That is "their" right.

George

Gday

Im wondering if anybody has the war diaries for the 9th Royal Scots?

My interest is in their involvment in the attack on Cantaing on the 20th to the 22nd of November 1917. I know they were the reserve battalion for the 154th Brigade and they relieved the 4th Gordon Highlanders in the town on the 21st. But i would really like to see whats in their diaries and if there re any further reports or maps from the 9th regarding those days.

Would really apprecaite the help.

Cheers

Toby

The two volume history of the Royal Scots in the Great War by Ewing has been reprinted by Naval and Military Press and can be ordered from them. About twice a year they have a promotion with a 20% discount on all items, notified by their standard emails. Alternatively, if you are in the UK, you can get access on an inter-library loan. Although not quite as detailed these are substantial volumes, and were I am sure compiled with access to the war diaries.

Keith

Thanks for that Keith, I'll look into it!

Re Ewing it's available in paperback for £25-30 on Amazon and if you buy through the GWF 'we' get a donation.

John

Keith

Just been trawling on a website called http://youroldbooksandmaps.co.uk/infantry-ww1.html?page=4

£6.99 for the cd of the books, £5.99 as a pdf download

Haven't tried it yet but looks the cheaper option.

I'll keep you posted

Al

Dear all

Myself and some friends were on the Somme at the weekend visiting the graves of the fallen of Skinner's Horse. One chap, Lt. Col. RBC Raban was on attachment commanding the 13th Royal Scots. He died on the 11th of May 1916 and I was wondering if anyone has any information about the action he died in as the Skinner's regimental history only mentions his death. Do the regiment's War Diaries mention it?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Trevor

www.skinnershorse.co.uk

Dear all

Myself and some friends were on the Somme at the weekend visiting the graves of the fallen of Skinner's Horse. One chap, Lt. Col. RBC Raban was on attachment commanding the 13th Royal Scots. He died on the 11th of May 1916 and I was wondering if anyone has any information about the action he died in as the Skinner's regimental history only mentions his death. Do the regiment's War Diaries mention it?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Trevor

www.skinnershorse.co.uk

Lt Col Raban and the entire HQ were either killed or wounded when a shell came through the dug out door, unlucky.

John

post-12171-0-34719800-1317838393.jpg

Hello Jimmy

I am also looking for any info on 1st btn. RS. I beleive they were in India from about 1906 returned to Enngland 1914 and then on to France. If there is any written material available could you let me know.

Thanks

Ontario

1st battalion Royal Scots from when they arrived in Ypres in January 1915 till they left for Salonika in November 1915.

First casualty 12/01/1915

Last casualty 21/10/1915

Can't find any info on 9th May 1915 when the 1st Battalion Royal Scots had heavy fighting in Sanctuary Wood and got badly cut up.

(Great uncle William Monaghan Private 9918. 1st Battalion Royal Scots who died on 9th May 1915 at Sanctuary Wood)

• 2 years later...

Hi John.

I'm really sorry it's taken me so long to reply to you. Have got side-tracked with other soldiers.

William James Murray 48465, 13th Bn Royal Scots - died 22/8/1917. Son of Helen Murray & the late George Murray of Glasgow.

And yes, you were right, it was a typo - I'm always making them & not checking carefully enuf!!!!!

Regards sheilmar

1st battalion Royal Scots from when they arrived in Ypres in January 1915 till they left for Salonika in November 1915.

First casualty 12/01/1915

Last casualty 21/10/1915

Can't find any info on 9th May 1915 when the 1st Battalion Royal Scots had heavy fighting in Sanctuary Wood and got badly cut up.

(Great uncle William Monaghan Private 9918. 1st Battalion Royal Scots who died on 9th May 1915 at Sanctuary Wood)

sorry but file too big to send. i am a bit of a luddite re computers.... anyhoo,

2am 9/5/15 batt went up to sanct wood to occupy ghq line. The enemies guns had "the range of this line to a nicety" Killed 4 men

wounded lt w.g.m Bidie, 25 other ranks.

thought you might like to know tho you probaly know by now

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Grateful for any info on date of joining for 353243 Pte Frank A Hogg 13 Royal Scots. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I have a book published by Edinburgh department store, Patrick Thomson , (PT's to the locals) in 1920 featuring pictures of the peace day and armistice day commemorations in 1919, several shots of the Royal Scots, 1st , 5th, 7th, 9th and 10th also Scots Guards and Gordon Highlanders, if anyone is interested I would be happy to post them.

my granddad( JOHN MCBRIDE ) was in 10th royal scots (cyclists)..

was from Bathgate.

RANK..pte

COY D

apparently a imperial service volounteer... in 1914.

any info/pics... would be so grateful for anything