Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pt. Harry Farr. shot at dawn, Carnoy, Oct. 18th. 1916

20th Division

Thanks Tew. Agree. --Appreciated. Dave.

Yes, it is difficult because of the variety of places used to execute men. I have one allegation to look at that involves a railway station yard. I say it is an allegation because the date given pre-dates the first recorded execution and at the moment, I've been unable to find the time to take it forward. Personally, I don't think they would have been fazed by the mud. They were clearing bodies from muddy battlefields and bringing them in if they could. Yes, a variety of places were used, I agree. I tend to think that was because of convenience. I don't necessarily think he was held at APM HQ and as I said earlier - that might have been a bit of a distraction on this thread. However, a hut or any other structure that he could be guarded in, that was in/on the edge of a wood (if we accept that a wood was used) that is not very far from the cemetery - it has some potential. If you look at the map, Caftet Wood is not the closest to the cemetery either.

There is a niggle with me at the moment as to where the information regarding the wood and refusing the blindfold might have come from and it comes back to a Padre. The man I am researching was, like Harry, a married man. He wrote a letter to his wife before he was executed which the Padre sent, after the event but it is possible the Padre included a letter of his own. If that was the case, then the information regarding him refusing the blindfold etc. and the wood might have been included in such a letter. As we know, Harry's daughter was told the information decades later - whether Harry's widow would have kept any letters, I don't know. According to some sources, the first she knew about it was a letter from the WO, stating that he had been shot for cowardice. Whether the WO letter would include additional information, I don't know but suspect it may not. I've not seen a source regarding any further letters she might have received or even whether Harry wrote a letter to her.

On 21/04/2016 at 18:44, Ron Clifton said:

I think that IWGC policy was to treat the executed men in exactly the same way as other casualties

The records show they were, of those 39 executed for Murder I found only the following with no known grave: -

TH/040862 Dvr Thomas Moore ASC executed 26/02/16, listed Menin Gate.

A/2600 Pte Dezari Bramah Gold Coast Regt executed 10/11/18, listed Kumasi memorial, Ghana.

5 x Greek volunteer Muleteers who have no records of FGCM or graves that I can find.

There is an odd ball though, on this thread

about Joseph Chandler, he seems to have been buried as "unidentified" till 1989 even though he wasn't executed till August 1919.

Sam

Having done some reading and checking, I think it is worthy of discussing his holding place and execution place a little further. Mud for example; a problem or not? I think, as I mentioned previously, the men would have been used to the mud, it permeated their lives in and out of the lines. Would mud have been a problem at an execution? Yes, I believe it would. Would you want a firing party slipping and sliding about trying to keep their footing? Absolutely not. Would there have been a problem sinking a post that would hold steady enough in those conditions? Possibly. Around the village and up to Minden Post the ground may have been particularly bad. The passage of men, horses, carts, wagons etc. would have taken their toll and well used routes and sites (and their surroundings) in an absolute mess - unsuitable for the task?

I am always wary of posting information from incidents that happened before/after an incident under discussion, unless it serves to establish a pattern over time or a change in procedures. Some similarities and differences I have noted here: The book 'Blindfold and Alone' in the case of Thomas Hopkins indicates that Thomas around September 1917, was held before his trial in a cell while they were bivouacked, that was actually a cubicle within a hut. In the case I have made previous reference to using a Padre's account, the man was held before his execution (1918) in 'an improvised cell at the APM's quarters' which he later refers to as in a hut but not whether the hut was partitioned. The use of the APM's quarters may have been more of a convenience to the situation and cannot be taken as the norm. What it does show is that they could and would adapt even the most basic site to accommodate these men during the process. As has been posted on the thread already a number of locations were used as execution sites (quarries and other places) but not in enough detail to show how those sites fitted with other circumstances surrounding the individuals - such as; distance walked from detention to execution or the proximity of a cemetery. Although the latter might not have been as significant as the holding/execution site.

I also feel that the sites chosen to hold and execute would be very close together to make the walk as short as possible. They would have no way of knowing how an individual would behave the night before or the morning itself. Would they want to drag a man that could potentially kick, scream and protest, through the mud of a village at dawn? Also that the man might be shaking, he could potentially faint or collapse. Certainly from accounts I can refer to, the walk was very short indeed.
I have, going back over a decade ago, read various pieces put online about executions and saw references to the men staggering, being probably drunk etc. Which then leads to what the men were offered or had available to them beforehand. I will again refer to the Padre's account. The night before, the man was 'very moderate...he would only take the veriest sip of whisky from my flask.' On the morning itself he 'smoked a cigarette but refused all stimulant'. The blindfold - does not seem to have been an option in this case, his hands were tied and a blindfold fitted before the walk began. 'I kept my hand upon his arm as we walked...'

Referring to the account of an RAMC Officer nominated for an execution (post Armistice), he was informed of his task the day before, when he was summoned to his superior and given a briefing: 'Transport will collect you at your billet about an hour before dawn...The briefing included points about morphia, triangular bandages and other appendages of the dreadful routine.' In the morning when he had arrived at the location, he was met by the APM and his party, where he received a briefing from the APM and was told he might give the prisoner a heavy dose of morphia but 'the prisoners must be capable of walking with assistance and on no account will be carried...I must pin a target...and bandage their eyes just before the walk to the stakes began.' I also should point out that in this account the prisoners arms or hands were not tied until they reached the stake/post. Again, the blindfold does not seem to be optional here.

From the above, it cannot be taken that morphia was used in 1916. The Padre is not clear what he means by 'stimulant' and could have been referring to drugs or alcohol. However, at this time, the blindfold does not seem to be an optional part of the execution process. The firing party and their feelings would also need to be taken into account. They had no choice in the performance of this task. The eyes convey much in terms of feelings and emotions and a blindfold may have been used as much for the feelings of the firing party involved as for the man himself.

Taking all of these things into account, a wood or edge of one that might have a permanent or temporary structure, has some potential. The ground less well trodden and churned up by feet or anything else and would overcome issues with sinking posts. The cemetery, while being conveniently situated where it was, need not have been so and may not have been close in all cases. Transporting the man could be undertaken by stretcher or by transport if a greater distance was involved. The man would be in no position to create a scene or protest at that point. It is possible, there are early accounts which might give more distance between the final holding place and execution place and perhaps incidents occurred in some of those that they learned from.

Bold emphasis is mine.

Edit: para spacing added.

Also worth mentioning, to explore outside the theory of the woods, is that there seems to have been a farmstead at the bottom end of the village. In ruins July 1916 with only a semblance of a roof over the cowshed from one account. It seems also mentioned in later accounts (1918 I think). Would it have had bits of it patched up by October?

Try googling Carnoy Cows - that gives up accounts from different sources.

Yes, I thought on similar lines re the mud. Not sure of state of Caftet Wood at the time but obstacles, slipping about, forming up the squad in a wood, didn't sound likely. Possibly N end of wood adjacent to road.

Looked again at Putkowski and Blindfold and alone. For dates of confirmation.

Confirmed by Haig on 14th, so the APM presumably had 4 days to prepare squad and location.

Despite the FGCM members recommending the 'extreme penalty' on the 3rd, 4th and 6th the mitigating reports from Farr's unit and MO are dated 7/10/16. To me it seems the mitigating reports should pre-date the recommendations for extreme penalty.

But perhaps the mitigating reports were aimed for Rawlinson and Haig following the FGCM recommendations.

Given the number of commuted death sentences I wonder if the 'extreme penalty' recommendations in this case were taken with a pinch of salt or is that in itself unusual. In which case perhaps the APM was for-warned and had longer to prepare.

TEW

Seaforths, what a moving account of the awful execution process-- and further ideas from TEW giving food for thought. From the 20th DAC war diary, the narrow gauge railway was delivering ammunition to their newly opened dump a few hundred metres south east of Carnoy church FROM 16th October. The dump , in a dip in the shallow valley, was merely a couple of hundred metres from Carnoy cemetery. It strikes me that this could have been a quick and convenient route from Minden Post area to the cemetery and certainly avoiding a lot of the mud. We will never know. There may have been an issue with keeping a prisoner secure on a slow moving train of course. Regarding a "wood" close to the cemetery--la Guerre wood could fit the bill as easily as Caftet wood, Its outskirts were on the main ( relatively) road from Minden post and quite close to the cemetery as well. All speculation I know, but all to be considered. Dave.

There was it seems, some input from the Padre to Harry's widow. She made a recording which was aired on Radio 4 in 1993, before she died:

'The chaplain who was there when my husband was shot wrote to the vicar at our church, at my church. And it was the vicar from my church who came back to tell me, as he thought, but in fact I already knew. He - the regimental chaplain - said: 'I was with him when he was shot and tell his wife he was no coward. A finer soldier never lived. . . ' That information came from this site dated 1993: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/shame-and-stigma-followed-execution-of-a-fine-soldier-widows-allowance-halted-by-war-office-because-1461394.html

Not having heard the recording, I can't say whether any other information was forthcoming from the Padre or who the Padre might have been. As suggested earlier, it may have been a Non-Conformist Padre from the Division.

Yes, I thought on similar lines re the mud. Not sure of state of Caftet Wood at the time but obstacles, slipping about, forming up the squad in a wood, didn't sound likely. Possibly N end of wood adjacent to road.

Looked again at Putkowski and Blindfold and alone. For dates of confirmation.

Confirmed by Haig on 14th, so the APM presumably had 4 days to prepare squad and location.

Despite the FGCM members recommending the 'extreme penalty' on the 3rd, 4th and 6th the mitigating reports from Farr's unit and MO are dated 7/10/16. To me it seems the mitigating reports should pre-date the recommendations for extreme penalty.

But perhaps the mitigating reports were aimed for Rawlinson and Haig following the FGCM recommendations.

Given the number of commuted death sentences I wonder if the 'extreme penalty' recommendations in this case were taken with a pinch of salt or is that in itself unusual. In which case perhaps the APM was for-warned and had longer to prepare.

TEW

It's amazing how we are thinking along the same lines but coming to different conclusions by examining the various aspects but a great way of teasing out thoughts and looking at them. Obstacles etc. at ground level in a wood didn't occur to me. I was thinking that the ground would be less well trodden there and probably less muddy. However, thinking of how adaptable they were and their ability to improvise their surroundings...sitting here in my kitchen 10 feet wide by 18 feet long...they didn't need a big space. Big enough for 6 - 12 men to stand side by side (depending on the size of the firing party). They wouldn't have been so far from the man either, to be sure they were on target for the envelope or piece of lint (whatever they were using at that time). All it would take; a small space cleared, three sided sandbagged walls, duckboard from door entrance to post, to guide the man down and a similar line of duckboards for the firing party to stand on, so you would have a 'T' shape in duckboards - that would be it.

Something else niggling me from a previous account on the morning of the execution, in the Padre's words: '...the door opened to admit the A.P.M., accompanied by a medical officer, the prisoner's own company sergeant-major, and three military police. The prisoner came at once to attention and saluted the officers. The sergeant-major then formally identified him...' Given this particular man's battalion were in the line at the time, and the distance to the place of execution, in this instance the CSM came some considerable distance to formally identify him - unless he made the trip the night before and billeted nearby in order to be closer to hand in the morning. The statement also has a formality about it, that rings more along the lines of something they 'must' do rather than 'may do'. It might also be fair to say, given this example that Harry's CSM would also need to be present for formal identification purposes.

Does the padre make any mention of walking with him to his place of execution?

Is it possible that he was shot in his cell, tied to a chair?

Does the padre make any mention of walking with him to his place of execution?

Is it possible that he was shot in his cell, tied to a chair?

Unlikely that he was shot inside his cell - the danger from ricochets was too great.

I think the padre would have stayed with him until the last moments.

Ron

It was just a suggestion. From other sites it seems that the man was not moved far. From leaving his cell to the execution could be less than 5mins.

Undoubtedly, the padre would have stayed with him.

There are 3 recordings of Putkowski interviewing Farr's granddaughter on IWM.

Query over grave location. Mention of Chaplain's letter and description of execution.

Can't see, that interviews are available to listen to, unless that's an iPad thing.

Not doing links (via iPad) but IWM refs are;

TEW

There are 3 recordings of Putkowski interviewing Farr's granddaughter on IWM.

Query over grave location. Mention of Chaplain's letter and description of execution.

Can't see, that interviews are available to listen to, unless that's an iPad thing.

Not doing links (via iPad) but IWM refs are;

TEW

I was able to do it from iPad but that was several updates ago. I'll give it another go...re yr no. 136, don't need the info yes - sheepview good, I used it at the time but thanks anyway.

I agree, I doubt they would be able to shoot Harry in a cell. If it was a solid building, as Ron pointed out, a danger of riquochets and if a. non solid building the chance of a round going through the wall and injuring/killing somone. I've seen cases of this in German prison camps caused by negligent discharges in tent/hut from German guards.

Ok, don't laugh - (or at least pretend not to) but I have always taken it that in APM's custody does not actually mean he was there with him. For example, if I said I spent the night in the cells in the custody of Wossit-shire Constabulary, it could be any location within their boundaries. Similarly, I had thought the same with APM, within his jurisdiction, at a suitable place ie. within the division.

There is another niggle for me an it's more to do with sources of accounts. There are some accounts where they have been able to show a link between burial, APM being in that area to dispute the claim of execution site. However, there is an account for example of a man being walked half a mile, blindfolded. The account is unchallenged if I recall (see Blindfold and Alone) but the distance involved...I'm surprised they would even consider doing that but as I said in a previous post, the possibly learned as the war progressed. I don't mean the Army as an organisation, they have very long history of executions but I mean as far as those during WW1 that were dealing with them on a frequency not seen for some considerable time.

It is also possible that some APMs managed the situations better than others. I can't help thinking that they would be taking a big gamble making the man take a long walk. Their state of mind would be fragile. Indeed some of them like Harry were in the predicament they were because their behaviour had been so erratic an unpredictable. It is possible (writing hypothetically) that if a man were in a bad state while being held and just before the event, they had the option to give him a shot of morphine to calm him but once he walked out that door, he would/could be something of a loose canon. Therefore, if they were managing the situation well, they would make the walk as short as possible. That brings me to the question earlier of whether they might try to pre-predict what the outcome might be and make some prior preparations - maybe a good APM might do just that in terms of organising where he would be held and think worst case scenario, somewhere that could be prepared relatively quickly to suit the worst outcome the man might get. If the sentence reduced and commuted then no harm done. But unfortunately, trying to second guess what the APM might have organised - impossible really.

The situation of Minden Post very slightly east of Caftet and at the north eastern part of that wood has the possibility of being close/in the area of APM and as Carnoy the nearest location, the entry on the death certificate given as Carnoy. Somewhere on the outer edge of Minden Post and on the edge of the wood - a short walk but from there - where for burial? would it have been easier to take Harry to Carnoy cemetery or Devonshire's Cemetery? I'm not necessarily thinking one being further away than the other but one being more accessible for transport...sorry.

Re the IWM sound recordings. Those three from what I can see are not available online but available on cassette at IWM. I tried one of the other available sound recordings at random and iPad says; No

I am happy to e-mail, phone or write to IWM if this is the only way to get recordings? I don't want to duplicate effort---so I bow to advice from TEW or Seaforths.

The possibility of transporting Harry's body to Carnoy cemetery via the narrow gauge rail is still at the back of my mind----a look at its route on a trench map will clarify my point. It was open along this length of the line from at least 16th October, two days before Harry's execution. As you say Seaforths, he was either shot close to where he was held and transported the rest of the way--OR the execution party had a long trek or transportation to the cemetery and executed there (which as stated before,could have caused security issues).For reasons Seaforths and others have speculated before, THIS latter option would have been cruel to the man in the extreme, but sadly it seems this may not have been without precedent. It will be interesting to know if the radio interviews give any clues. Dave.

I am happy to e-mail, phone or write to IWM if this is the only way to get recordings? I don't want to duplicate effort---so I bow to advice from TEW or Seaforths.The possibility of transporting Harry's body to Carnoy cemetery via the narrow gauge rail is still at the back of my mind----a look at its route on a trench map will clarify my point. It was open along this length of the line from at least 16th October, two days before Harry's execution. As you say Seaforths, he was either shot close to where he was held and transported the rest of the way--OR the execution party had a long trek or transportation to the cemetery and executed there (which as stated before,could have caused security issues).For reasons Seaforths and others have speculated before, THIS latter option would have been cruel to the man in the extreme, but sadly it seems this may not have been without precedent. It will be interesting to know if the radio interviews give any clues. Dave.

Go for it Dave. You folks will have a stronger case for getting something from them being connected as you are. It might well involve a personal visit though so be aware of that. I would also suggest you email CWGC to see if they have anything further for Harry, that they have not digitised. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say.

Yes, perhaps a short walk, or hopefully not a very protracted walk from an outlying structure of Minden Post - they could create a path with duckboards if necessary into Caftet Woods, clear the undergrowth etc. and clear a spot - far enough in to be out of sight of the HQs but not so much further than necessary. The bottom end of the village close to the east side or in the northeast side of Caftet Woods also has it's merits. Both places being able to draw on nearby manpower and resources (guards and firing party). One closer to the cemetery but at the same time, further away from the APM. Putting Harry on a train for burial at Carnoy would be a solution to the issue of moving him from an execution in the woods near Minden Post. The convenience for them, if they were setting it up that way after his CM and thinking of the worst case scenario; having the APM and MO close at hand when the time came, plus manpower etc. for the ongoing guarding commitment of those few days and being able to form a firing party from Minden Post, probably far outweight the convenience of being close to the cemetery, when in death, he would be easier to deal with than when alive. The woods, if used, might not have been used as a sinister aspect to hide an execution in that sense but would provide a natural screen of sorts to create some privacy for him during the ordeal and nothing more than that.

Edit: Changed Guerre Woods to Caftet - apologies

Hi,

There was it seems, some input from the Padre to Harry's widow. She made a recording which was aired on Radio 4 in 1993, before she died:

'The chaplain who was there when my husband was shot wrote to the vicar at our church, at my church. And it was the vicar from my church who came back to tell me...".,

If it's known where Gertrude was living at the time, I wonder if the local church may have retained something like the vicars notebook/diary and perhaps ("a one in a million" long shot) the letter from the padre. If not, but they do still exist perhaps they might be in the diocese archive, or some other repository - depending on where any such records might have been sent.

Regards

Chris

Edit: I guess that if he/she weren't CoE, the church they attended might not be the closest one geographically though; or it might be one further afield if there were some kind of other nexus - for example where they were married, children baptised, etc.

Hi,

If it's known where Gertrude was living at the time, I wonder if the local church may have retained something like the vicars notebook/diary and perhaps ("a one in a million" long shot) the letter from the padre. If not, but they do still exist perhaps they might be in the diocese archive, or some other repository - depending on where any such records might have been sent.

Regards

Chris

I do believe amongst it all, she does mention where she was living at the time or at least the area, which would possible fall within a church parish. It was shere she was living when she was told Harry had been shot. She continued to live there for some months until her pension was stopped and she could no longer afford to stay there. Can't remember which piece I read it from now - hopefully someone else has also seen the reference? And can get there quicker than I can.

Hi,

If "She continued to live there for some months until her pension was stopped...".

As another really long shot, I wonder if the Western Front Association might have something in the pension records they acquired - even if just a snippet that might add something to the overall picture.

Regards

Chris

Hi,

Regards

Chris

Edit: I guess that if he/she weren't CoE, the church they attended might not be the closest one geographically though; or it might be one further afield if there were some kind of other nexus - for example where they were married, children baptised, etc.

Kensington, West London, according to this link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4798025.stm

Hi,

If "She continued to live there for some months until her pension was stopped...".

As another really long shot, I wonder if the Western Front Association might have something in the pension records they acquired - even if just a snippet that might add something to the overall picture.

Regards

Chris

Error possibly mine, it's not clear if it was a pension she was getting for the first six months - but reference to some funds from the War Office and then being told she wasn't entitled to a widow's pension - it was in the link I posted earlier to the 'Independent' article that mentioned the recording.

Why are various reputable sources giving a date of 16th Oct 1916??

Title description for 13731 IWM

Object description 13731

British civilian widow of Pte Harry Farr, 1st Bn West Yorkshire Regt, executed for cowardice on Western Front, 16/Oct/1916. Also includes comments from daughter and granddaughter

Content description

REEL 1: Story of receiving news of death of husband; allowance; rent; living conditions; communication with husband on Western Front; description of letter from War Office giving circumstances of husband's death; question of pension being stopped; reaction of family; question of war widow's pension being stopped and reliance on charitable organisations; evicted from lodgings; description of employment as house maid in Surrey and London; memories of Lord and Lady Arkwright; story of letters from nurse in Le Havre about husband's shell shock; intervention of Lord Clarendon over pension; remarriage after war; attitude to execution of husband and question of secrecy; story of daughter receiving news of father's death; question of location of husband's grave; letter from chaplain and description of execution; story of first meeting Harry Farr.

REEL 2 Continues: description of Harry Farr and attitude of parents to marriage; recreational activities; living conditions; husband's employment and army service; marriage in London; memories of husband's enlistment and last meeting, 1914; attitude to campaign to gain posthumous pardon; circumstances of death; opinion of sentence; attitude to Armistice Day celebrations. Gertrude Farr (daughter): reaction to news of father's death; upbringing with Lord and Lady Arkwright; memories of father and uncles; opinion of obtaining pardon; attitude to treatment of ex-servicemen . Janet Farr (granddaughter): support for campaign to obtain pardon; question of secrecy over execution; attitude to trial and verdict; opinion of granting pardons; attitude to Armistice Day; question of shame and effects on family.

A quick look on ancestry shows that Harry and Gertrude married 1913 in registration district of Kensington, she appears to be living in Kensington on electoral rolls for 1919 and 1920.

There is a list of parishes associated with Kensington Registration District but it's based on the district 1837-1851, not checked if it changed. (ancestry sub needed)

1919-20 address was 49 St. Ervan's Road, W.10

Certainly think the recordings would be on my list and track down the Chaplain's letter.

However, is there not a possibility that a letter from the Chaplain to Gertrude's vicar with information to pass on could be 'slightly tempered' or economical with the truth?

Sorry if that's made anybody wince.

Locating such a letter would at least identify the Chaplain.

TEW

Using NLS maps there are fantastic 1:500 town maps of Kensington which show the Churches near Ervan's Rd, assuming she was there 1916.

A few web sources mention the Chaplain wrote to her Vicar, aren't Vicars C of E?

A handful of nearby parish churches based on late Victorian maps and road names. Ervan Rd was in St Mary Abbot's, Kensington 1895

St Mary Abbot's Church is some 2½ miles away as crow flies, perhaps a sister church is involved.

• St Michaels & all Angels, Ladbroke Grove Rd
  • St Andrew & St Philips, Golborne Gdns
  • Christ Church, Warnington Rd
  • St Luke's (just out of parish)
  • All Saints, Clydedale Rd

TEW

A few web sources mention the Chaplain wrote to her Vicar, aren't Vicars C of E?

Yes, but if they are web sources, they might be a mis-informed shortening of "parish priest" or "minister". We don't know whether the chaplain might have got the information from Harry himself, or whether he wrote on his own initiative to the vicar of the nearest C of E church. C of E clergy names and addresses were (and are) readily ascertainable from Crockford's Clerical Directory, which I imagine was fairly readily available to Army chaplains.

In addition, it is often said that the C of E "is the only institution which exists for the benefit of non-members" so it might have been regarded as the default first option where pastoral care of a man's family was involved.

Ron

What a busy bunny you have been! Great stuff! Ah well, this is where my total ignorance will shine through - ecclesiastic knowledge/issues are not my forte at all, especially south of the border. Nonconformist churches are protestant churches which do not conform to the doctrines of the established Church of England. Examples include the Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian and Quaker.

The name of their church might well be on their marriage certificate. Not having ever looked for an English marriage certificate, I'm guessing they would be on Ancestry? If not then it would have to be ordered through GRO. They were very helpful and good when I got soldiers' death certs from them. Did everything over the phone, including payment and they posted them to me.

It is possible that Harry asked the Padre to pass the news to his wife via his minister at home. He perhaps felt that she should have someone with her when she heard the news and that it would be broken to her in a sympathetic manner - all this not realising that the WO would be taking their own steps and acting sooner. It is also possible that minister to minister, any communication might be very honest and forthright. I'm totally guessing that the Padre's mail would be subject to censorship. The only thing I could see the censors doing would be to sanitise some of the words regarding (unfortunately) locations but generic information might get through. On the other hand, it is possible that the Padre took it upon himself to send the letter. It is also quite possible that conclusions were reached by what was said in the letter while there may have been things not said...

The information regarding the blindfold might also be from the Padre's source. It's possible that Harry refused/didn't want to wear a blindfold and preferring to look them in the eyes and that is what came out in the communication from the Padre but that in itself doesn't guarantee that Harry's wishes were complied with and that might not have been communicated in the letter.