Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

great war etchings/drawings

Soren

I found an oil painting that I had done a while ago.... unfortunately can only scan a portion of it it..... troops going over the top.... I hope you can make sense of it! :o

Officer, troops below, piper in distance......

post-8-1105274024.jpg

Soren

I have said it before-what you are doing is absolutely mind blowing.

The detail and the situations are first class.

Have you decided to publish yet? Looking at the pics on the Forum is one thing- having them with you on your lap is something else.

Please put us out of our misery and let us know how we can acquire them. Would a publisher take them for charity or the Tsunami Appeal?

Just thoughts after Sunday lunch!!

Martin

Hello Martin,

I will be shortly be making the pictures available for purchase with a donation to the Forum included, if this brilliant facility was not here they would have remained stuck under my bed!

when I eventually get round to devising commemorative Great War cards such as using the 'Brooding Soldier' image (Below), I will include donations to the British Legion and the Forum in the costings.

Just like to thank you for your support as you have frequently bestowed encouragement upon my efforts :D

Cheers

Soren

post-8-1105284253.jpg

Just out of curiosity, how long does it take for you to create one of your masterpieces?

For example, the Belgian above... How long to think about the subject and setting? How long to sketch it? And how many attempts before you have something you like?

I would assume the research to even know what a Great War Belgian soldier looked like took years of passionate/hobby reseach into WWI.

Andy

Just out of curiosity, how long does it take for you to create one of your masterpieces?

For example, the Belgian above... How long to think about the subject and setting?  How long to sketch it? And how many attempts before you have something you like?

I would assume the research to even know what a Great War Belgian soldier looked like took years of passionate/hobby reseach into WWI.

Andy

Hello Andy,

The one I just posted, took 20 minutes, I have only just now completed it!

But having said that I have studied life drawing from an early age, when at art school I studied as a 'reportage' illustrator, so therefore that's where I feel the immediacy comes from.

I and always hoped to be sent off with the British Army somewhere to draw a war zone (sounds sick I know!)

Generally a lot of drawings fall by the wayside when you are starting out. I started drawing from the nude at the age of 10, so I suppose I should be quite accomplished by now when it comes to figurative works!?!

But I'll leave to you guys to be the judge of that!!! I'm a believer in that you should always consider yourself a student at no matter what age when it comes to drawing/painting... this keeps the eye observant.

As you previously PM'd me Andy, you are correct the drawings are sharper than the paintings.... I think tho that this has something to do with me being colour blind!?!?! :blink:

Regarding the research into uniforms and equipment, I just examnie old pictures... I'm sure that there are glowing errors and that some of the GWF experts could point out a good few of them.

But to keep the 'spirit' of the images I tend not to get too bogged down in this, in favour of keeping the drawings 'fresh' as it were...

I'm not sure that they are masterpieces, but many thanks!!

Soren

Fantastic Soren. Where can we buy them?

Robbie

Fantastic Soren. Where can we buy them?

Robbie

Hi Robbie,

Very shortly, a means to purchase the drawings will be made available, thanks in the mean time for the support!! :)

Sozz

Soren:

Would it be possible, if you were supplied with a photo, to do one of your amazing sketches of it?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew Upton.

Soren,

Do you have an exhibition planned?

Robbie

Terrific mate. Any news on the sales?

Robbie