Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

great war etchings/drawings

Soren

Hello Chris,

really successful, in the past, lots of exhibitions, studied etching for 8 years, and exhibited at the Royal Academy Summer Show 1998.

Have not shown the Great War stuff before, got a lot of stick from my course directors when I studied for a Master's, they thought the Great War imagery was too obscure and did'nt relate to the world around me...

I drew the line when they told me that I should go and spend the day drawing the day in the life of a supermarket!?!

The subject draws me back to it repeatedly....... now I've had some positive feedback, I'm just going to go for it, and ignore the more fashionable stuff I encounterred at college!!

The above makes sound bitter??? not bitter, just did'nt have the confidence with the WW1 imagery... there I'll shut up!

Regards

Soren

Hi Soren

Works for me! And as for the academic opinions, if the subject inspires you, go for it; the best work comes from personal inspiration & if your peers dont find the same inspiration in the subject, then they can keep drawing their chosen subject cant they?

Either that, or resign yourself to tins of Baked beans & stroppy people arguing with the manager, bored looking shelf filling staff flirting with each other, or customers racing trolleys down the fruit & veg aisle :lol:

hi Steve,

Now that you have described the supermarket as you have, I'm gonna get my pencil out get down there! What do you recommend? The SPAR or Waitrose????

Soren

Soren,

I like your stuff :) ,

I was going to do some WW1 drawings but I know it wont be as interesting and well executed as yours.

Keep up the good work.

L.

Steve,

The stretcher party is already an etching, I shall exhibit the next time I have a show, then see what the reaction is!

The Brooding Soldier study is an idea I have for an etching, I shall now put it into motion.... just wanted to know how you guys felt about it, whether it is valid, I've blurted on about that enough above so I shall just get on with it!

Leigh,

You should draw and post them if that's allowed, the approach of the Great War Artists varied completely, for example: the academic approach of William Orpen to the expressionist style of George Grosz..

Both are valid, and sincere.

Soren

I love drawing but I am an engineer and often I endup with my perfectionist head on and not my art head on.

I would like to be able to draw in a more free style like your own , more practice me thinks. (any practice would help :) )

L.

Leigh,

Having said what you've said...... I studied Graphic design for three years and can't draw a straight line for toffee........

Am also colour blind, so God certainly blessed me as an Artist!

Soren

post-8-1101470715.jpg

Roger,

thanks for the support, I was not brave enough to exhibit them to the public, I will now!

Re posting more images, I run the risk of becoming the tedious bloke who keeps sticking his drawings on the forum... I don't want to upset people.. I really love this forum!

Cheers

Soren :)

Go on Soren. If you are drawned to the subject and with your skills you should be able to show us a lot more of interesting things in the future.

Erwin

This is Brilliant stuff !!!!

Keep on drawing...

Do you sell them? I think a lot of people here should be interested.

I am ;)

I have a few reproduced drawings that i bought in Talbot house. They are very simular.

And if i should be allowed to place a few on our webstite (small resolution so that they can't copy them) I should be hounoured!!!

Re posting more images, I run the risk of becoming the tedious bloke who keeps sticking his drawings on the forum... I don't want to upset people.. I really love this forum!

I feel the same about posting pics of my model figures I paint but I have been encouraged to keep posting.

So you should too.

When people are upset or bored I'm sure they'll let us know :D

Roger.

Hey Guys,

I dug up the only oil painting that I've done on the subject, Called 'Zero Hour' unfortunately it's probably the last picture I can post as the others are much larger charcoal drawings on canvas...

I'm working on a portrait of Owen at the moment from that hansome and very famous photo of him.... will let you see the results in due course...

Kristof, yes do use them..... I trust that you will ensure that they won't be misused..

Soren

P.S the scan does not do the picture justice!! I'll get this scanning thing down to a fine art! one day.. heh heh heh!

post-8-1101475408.jpg