Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

great war etchings/drawings

Soren

If you have better scans, please let me kow, i want to place a few on our website.

Soren,

Followed your link and.....WOW! You are so talented and must carry on doing this.

I am absolutely overawed and would really like to see your Owen sketch (he is apparently some vague relation of mine by marriage)

Thanks for this-really mean it,this is great!

Laura x

Thanks Laura,

I've been buzzing all day due to the positive response, and then WOW on your part for possible Owen link.... I'll put the an etching from the drawing you're way when it's done!!

Lets us know what you think and I'll post you one, outta respect for the big fella..

Soz

Hi Soz

Are you at all influenced by the Vorticists? Having said which,I think you have a unique style.

There was also The Machine Gun-can't remember who by,or dare the French at this time of night without inviting ridicule,but one of the most telling paintings of WW1.

Laura

Laura,

My greatest influence is Rembrandt.. which is a bit of a clash with the Great War....

'La Mitrailleuse' by Nevinson is a great picture.. my painting is more in the Sickert mode...

The painting side is in it's infancy as I've been too concious of my colour blindness... now I just feel like sod it, life's too short, make paintings and then worry about the colour problems after I've karked it!

I'm drawn to rembrandts style due to his immediacy, when you look at his pictures, you really feel the moment that he attempts to capture...#

What am I waffling on about..

Apologies

Sozz

Sozz-

You are not waffling on,it makes perfect sense to me ( which may not be a good thing!)

Rembrandt is my ultimate painter-most accomplished,most honest (the late self portraits?) and I will never forget the great self portrait exhibition at the National a few years ago.Like the best poetry he draws an emotional response that few other artists can.

In a vague attempt to keep this "on message"-I think if he had been around then his drawings/etchings of WW1 would have been brutally honest,but full of human warmth. I do see that in what you are doing-they are unpretentious in the same way....

Oh dear get me on the subject of Rembrandt....sorry Sozz..

Hello again Laura,

Speaking of the master's, what about Goya's horrors of war??? I think that Rembrandt held out the baton for him... Goya's imagery.... bar the odd musket and frock coat, can be easily seen in the paintings and drawings of the more avant garde artists working during the Great War...

The whole WW1 period was so explosive,a total clash of technologies, idealisms, empires, art and poetry...... the period is breathtaking, in some ways I can see how some Artists thought at the time that war was the apex of art and culture and destiny...

I really need to stop drinking Stella Artois..... I'm gonna so regret this in the morning.....

Sozz

You're gonna regret it?! I'm on red wine....!!

Goya's "Firing Squad" must be one of the ultimate depictions of the "horror of war".I think there is universal art,sometimes made universal by being very particular-a moment,an honest depiction of an event-and a great deal that came out of WW1 reflects that for me.The great poets and artists were perhaps inspired by tiny things that have taken on a major significance by being seen through their eyes and interpretation.

Does this make any sense or is this the Cabernet Sauvignon talking?

Laura

Laura..

Now this will make you run.....

Although not religious.... I can see a lot of parallels with the renaisance art that I studied at art school and the film/photographs of the Great War...

perhaps the suffering/the passion of Christ... I honestly am not a bible basher, I can only say how I feel when looking at these images...

I think I need a another tinnie matey?!........

Sozz

Sozz-

Awful confession-I HAVE A (theology degree).

Oh dear-usually taken as a sign of incipient madness/and/or Bible bashing.

I prefer to see it as a totally academic degree that has allowed me greater access to the glories of Renaissance (can't be drunk!) art.(And other things)

There are in my opinion great similarities and coincidences between the art (in all its forms) of WW1 and the Renaissance-perhaps the "rebirth" element/analogy is not too precious?

And-the WW1 poets and painters were not shy of using explicitly religious imagery (eg "At a Calvary near the Ancre")

Even when they turned it on its head?

??

Laura

Laura,

How you doin??

yeah or 'THE PARABLE OF THE OLD MAN AND THE YOUNG' by Mr Owen...... and of course the ever after must have been at the forefront of their minds, much like if they would be identified in death or given a burial.......

Don't worry about the Theology thing... I'm just glad that you could come out to me, I'll tell you a secret... I nearly became a priest and joined the universal brotherhood.......

unfortunately I'm too much like Fr Jack with a bit of Fr Dougal thrown in, so decided to remain an artist.....

Sozz

In the immortal words of Father Jack -"Drink!Drink! Drink! Drink! Drink!"

Well-it's my filthy little secret really,as everyone thinks you must be Very Holy and Never Swear and Wear Bad Clothes and No Make Up if you have that sort of certificate-all untrue,I hope.

I think you so did the right thing by sticking to art.I believe Wilfred was tempted to go into the Church but gave up on it as a Bad Job...

I'm Capitalising,sorry,

Laura

I don't think that I could deal with the guilt/abstinance thing anyhow.......

getting blind drunk on the communion wine would go down aswell with the nuns as a bahmitzvah on the Gaza Strip!?!

I'm sure I'd run riot through the nuns too..... anyway need to link it... erm... was there any priests/nuns during the Great War who served and wrote poetry or painted???

Sozz

Sozz-

I love the deeply serious attempt at finding someone in holy orders who served in the War!!!

As a fellow sergeant major I feel we are boring the troops stupid re Art and Drink continue off Forum (if I can still type!)?

Cheers,Laura

Hi Soren

Excellent, draw what is in your soul, this is your way of fulfiling the old promise "We will remeber them". We have lost too many artists and musicians becuse some expert/teacher trampled on their budding aspirations.

I just wish I could capture your simplicity of line, I am still stuck trying to reproduce photographic detail, too much of an egineering background I guess.

Thank you for the posting of your first on-line exhibition......Gareth

Many thanks Gareth & Everyone out there,

I havent stopped talking since my first posting yesterday about ideas/projects that I have for WW1 inspired works....

Just glad that I've had a positive response, I shant waste anymore time......

Cheers

Sozz

post-8-1101591108.jpg

I didn't know that we have a real artist amongst us - great stuff soren....though....i bet you cannot draw an nco from infanterieregiment 36...right?

I'm afraid I got lost in the Rembrandt Appreciation Society, but what I do know is that I'd always want to see what Soren has to offer in the way of art.

Egbert,

Re: i bet you cannot draw an nco from infanterieregiment 36...right?

Where can I find an image of the uniform? and then I'll post one,, sounds French or Belgian......

Soren

Hi soren,

i used to draw too... So i tryed again.

I know it is not such a high level, but i certainly like your opinion about it:

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=23811

Soren,

Don't keep these hidden from the world, they are worth exhibiting.

At the very least put them on a website, so the interested can view them.

Well done and keep it up

Soren

Since you came on this forum, you have made us laugh, (in the glow worm thread), let us see your wonderful sketches and promised us more, and you have given others the impetus to regain their own creativity.

What will you do next?

Thank you.

Kate