Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

On 1/25/2015 at 18:10, 4thGordons said:

... 2 Batterie Feldrtillerie-Regiment 217 ... cards dated 4/9/1916 and 10/9/1916 ...The second image shows quite a few bayonets which may be of interest to some!

post-14525-0-81248600-1422198560_thumb.j

Looking for something else entirely different brought me to this (no, don't ask what it was!)! For those interested in pointy things, our Ozzie mate SS commented on them in post 166 - "far right appears to be your regular S98/05. Now this other shorter one with the rounded stud steel scabbard, should be your "special quiz mystery bayonet". But I reckon it's a Mexican M1912.! That's about the only thing I can think of that would have that type of oval stud & steel scabbard. These were in OEWG stores when the war began.

Other points to note with this one is the low muzzle-ring, slightly angled end of the grips, and the very square looking pommel. It's the odd one out.! "

I had overlooked the nice piece of detail this photograph gives regarding the wearing of bayonets by officers... Or, rather, I was just re-reading the relevant document!

So, Bay.Km. no. 75983, of 20 August 1915  (repeating basically the Prussian original), as confirmed by the Bavarian king on 12 August 1915, that officers at the front of regiment commander rank and below entitled to wear swords (including unter offizier mit portepee chaps) were to wear bayonets, with kS.98 specified for Luftschiffer- and Flieger-offizieren, and S.98/05 for the rest. Officers of "higher staff'"rank, though, were permitted to continue wearing swords...

There are other oddities about the chap with the "Mexican M.1912" though. He has a Tschako, but is clearly not wearing Jaegergrun, and so neither a Jaeger or a Schuetzen, which leaves - I believe- Telegraph, or Flieger - or MG Abteilung? Also, he has a troddel, and all-white troddels like this were - I think - only used by Luftschiffer men... 

Now to go back to what I was originally looking for...

Chris, maybe as we are up to page 36, time to start a 'Son of German Uniform Photos'? You are the progenitor, so your decision!

In the meantime, although I know I posted the first one here on GWF before, I can't find it; and I may have posted the second one on GWF also earlier, but again. no luck in finding it... So, bear with me please!

And so our first,  a photocard to his parents from Oskar Karl, of the (?) 1 Ersatz Kompagnie, of the Ersatz Bat. of the Bavarian Inf.Reg.Nr.4, a unit that - as I understand it - was commanded in and around February 1915 by an Oberst z.D. Graf von Holnstein, this card being sent from Metz on 19.09.1916. The text looks straightforward in places for once! (Thanks Oscar!): "Dear Parents, to you ??? greetings from Metz ??? ??? ??? Oskar, Live ???, auf Widersehen".

As his parents live in Tettau, I assume he is probably listed as originating from there and so is perhaps the OsKar Karl from Tettau, ranked as an "Oberfr" (is that Obergefreiter?), listed as 'Schwer verwundet" on 09.12.1917 on the 17.08.1918 Verlustlisten  = http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/8665922

A Gew.98, with S.98 affixed, and M.95 Patronentasche.

scan0007.jpg

scan0008.jpg

Hello Julian!

Oberfr. is not a rank, it´s the part of Bavaria "Oberfranken" (Upper Franconia), to which Tettau belongs.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tettau_(Oberfranken)

The Ers.Btl/bav. Inf.Rgt.4 belonged to the Gouvernement Metz.

I read:

Liebe Eltern!

Die letzten Grüße aus Metz sendet Euch Euer Sohn Oskar.

Lebt Wohl, auf Wiedersehen.

Dear parents

The last greetings from Metz sended by your son Oskar

Farewell and goog bye

Edited by The Prussian

18 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

... Oberfr. is not a rank, it´s the part of Bavaria "Oberfranken" (Upper Franconia), to which Tettau belongs. ... 

Andy, in Italian they would say you are as buono come il pane - but I will simply say - many thanks! Looking at the address I se that it is there also - "Tettau, Langenau, Oberfr."

OK, the second - one I think I have posted before, but cannot find...

A Prussian with a yellow/red/yellow troddel (so with II/7), and monogrammed epaulettes with white or yellow piping - but I can't find my Moritz so no idea as to which AKorps that is, the start to trying to work out those epaulettes...  Red band, so infantry, not something else? And the name - Karl Schutze?

EDIT - Kurt?

scan0006.jpg

scan0010.jpg

Edited by trajan
Kurt not Karl

Selam Julian!

It´s a white piping. He wears the Bluse M15. All infantry regiments had white pipings at this tunic, so we can´t make out the regiment, if we don´t see the shoulder boards.

His name could be Kurt Schulze. That´s hard... Schulze is a milllion-name like Miller or Smith in England...

Edited by The Prussian

Well, I found a Kurt Schultze on Verlusten - but not this chap as he was with a Saxon regiment - Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment 241, on http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/1081081...

Never knew Schulze was that common! Just looked at Kriegergraeber... and then Verlusten listen - awful lot of Prussians name Schulze there... So, one of them, possibly, and a mongrammed epaulette gives a start - sort off! (ever the optimist!).

Funny how luck works, though: my grandfather had just the two names, first and last, and both of them the most common ones in Ireland - Thomas Murphy... And yet when the British WW1 records came on line two-three years back, with knowing his town of residence only, all his papers came up on the first search!

You found a Schultze, I think "our" man´s name is without a t - Only Schulze.

Oh yes, if you have all infos about a man, it works. But with only the 2nd name with a name like this, a research is impossible.

Edited by The Prussian

57 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

You found a Schultze, I think "our" man´s name is without a t - Only Schulze.

Oh yes, if you have all infos about a man, it works. But with only the 2nd name with a name like this, a research is impossible.

I think you are right there - Schulze... Well, I could try and get a grad-student to do some data work and plough through all the Prussians in the Verlustlisten (297!, most Prussian!) then try to get that down to a regiment with the right epaulettes - but, no, a thankless task! All that can be said is the photograph is sometime after  08.10/1915, when the M.1915 Bluse was approved... But of course, he may never have been wounded or died, so no end to this one...

Thanks, though, Andy, for the input!

Julian

Edited by trajan
Add extra information

And don´t forget, my friend,  since 1917 no units were mentioned in the casualty lists... Another obstacle in our way to research...

scan0017.jpg.1dcf671b36e4b2cee93562739a2ad2fc.jpg

On 11/8/2017 at 22:59, 4thGordons said:

... I found an interesting collection of Austro-Hungarian (seem to be all Austrian - several displaying bayonets etc) photos in a local shop and I am waiting for the postman to deliver another set of random German photos purchased on an online auction so I may have some more to add soon. ... 

On 11/9/2017 at 05:33, The Prussian said:

... To me it´s a little bit confusing... There are too many photos shown in a very short time. If there are any questions, the answers hadn´t been read, and the next photo is shown. ... Wouldn´t it be better to talk about "photo by photo", "bit by bit"?

OK, while we wait for Chris to sort out his new ones, and hopefully posted according to Noah's Ark rules ("The photo's go in two by two, hurrah, hurrah!";)), here is one I may have posted before but was unable to find despite using various search terms... Having it here, though, will keep it safe and secure in  one place if I ever need to find it again!

So, Bavarians (look at those lowere cockades - and posted in Munich, 05.01.1915!), members of the 10 Korporalschaft.

I have had a go at transcribing the text... My first real foray into Kurrent schrift - it took me a hour just to get the address sorted out! Bear in mind that my German is mainly self-taught and so there are a few large gaps there. But, it seems that the writer may have been, shall we say, not so hot on spelling and/or use of umlauts? Or it a dialect thing? Either way, I really can't understand what rank he was or what unit he names under his signature. Nor can I work out much of the actual message... Any help gratefully received!

So, here goes...

scan0015.jpg.f51a3795e985a8e87d0e160e350fe809.jpg

Here are some enlargements - maybe a monogram or letter there?

scan0015A.jpg.616b6740b335aac08e6158363c6dce2f.jpg scan0015B.jpg.eaabec6691443d570f4499cd9cc0a937.jpg

And my transcription of the text (please don't laugh too loud - it will disturb your neighbours!...)

Feldpost

Trainsoldat (= Pferdeführer)

Egwert Grübner (= Egwert a Dutch name!)

Magazin Führbark(sic)-Kollone (sic) Nr.6 (= Fuhrpark-Kolone 6/XVI /Fuhrpark-Kolonne 1 des XVI. Armee-Korps, 34 Division)

Ab Waggon Inspektion Nr.6

6 Kasserne

scan0017.jpg.1dcf671b36e4b2cee93562739a2ad2fc.jpg

München, den 5 Januär / Janüar 1914 (= January spelling looks Hungarian? - and he got the year wrong!)

Lieber Freünd!

Ich Wünsche dir dir besten

??? daß (= something abut the new year?)

Du ???

??? dan ???

Zu ???. Wir hoffen ???

???, frreündlichen Grüß,

??? A. Wössner

4 K??? ??? I

scan0017A.jpg.7f5cf2fdf36272af2019db5c1825c8da.jpg

Edited by trajan

Hi!

something like:

München, den 5. Januar 1914

Lieber Freund!

Ich wünsche dir die besten

Neujahrswünsche so daß

du und ich wieder glücklich

nach der Heimat kehren

zu wollen [?]. Wir hoffen aufs

beste, freundlichen Gruß

Jos. A. Möhsmer ???

4. Kompanie

Bekleidungsamt I ?

Christine

Hello friends!

A little help...

Trainsoldat is not a Pferdeführer. A Trainsoldat is a soldier of the train, He could be everything. Not only a Pferdeführer.

I also think the adress is Eduart Gruber, correctly Eduard, maybe he didn´t know better...

Bekleidungsamt I means, Bekleidungsamt I.Armeekorps (which was in München)

Magazin-Fuhrpark-Kolonne Nr.6, Waggon-Inspektion Nr.6, 6.Armee

How do you come on: Fuhrpark-Kolone 6/XVI /Fuhrpark-Kolonne 1 des XVI. Armee-Korps, 34 Division ?

I can´t see anything according to the XVI.AK, 43.Div..

It´s the Magazin-Fuhrparkkolonne of the 6th army. In that time the columns were named by their army or army-corps, later they recieved consecutive numbers (up to more then 900 I think)

There ain´t no points like ü upon the u. It´s just a single bar. It was used for not-mixing n and u. Upon an n is nothing, upon an u is that bar

Edited by The Prussian

I rediscovered a box of large format glass slides that have some locations and uniforms. Some I posted before and can't find. I'll put the uniforms here and locations elsewhere.

Any idea of the pattern of these uniforms? I love the wallpaper...

5a19652fe9b6c_80-Copy.jpg.69ae03bdb060dc65e9861eab4f5f2b61.jpg

On 11/25/2017 at 00:10, AliceF said:

... München, den 5. Januar 1914 / Lieber Freund! / Ich wünsche dir die besten / Neujahrswünsche so daß / du und ich wieder glücklich / nach der Heimat kehren / zu wollen [?]. Wir hoffen aufs / beste, freundlichen Gruß Jos. A. Möhsmer ??? / 4. Kompanie / Bekleidungsamt I ?

On 11/25/2017 at 00:18, AliceF said:

Sent to Eduart Gruber? Should probably be Eduard

Christine, so many thanks!

But I could have sworn that there was a 'g' in the name of the addressee - so "Egwert". Also, the letter 'M' in the address for 'Magazin' and in the 'Munchen' are so different from the first letter in the signature and like that in the address - 'Waggon Inspektion' -  which is why I went for a 'W' and  "Wössner" 

On 11/25/2017 at 08:50, The Prussian said:

... Trainsoldat is not a Pferdeführer. ... I also think the adress is Eduart Gruber, correctly Eduard, maybe he didn´t know better... Magazin-Fuhrpark-Kolonne Nr.6, Waggon-Inspektion Nr.6, 6.Armee ... How do you come on: Fuhrpark-Kolone 6/XVI /Fuhrpark-Kolonne 1 des XVI. Armee-Korps, 34 Division ? ... There ain´t no points like ü upon the u. It´s just a single bar. It was used for not-mixing n and u. Upon an n is nothing, upon an u is that bar

And many thanks to you also Andy!

I have never come across a reference to a Trainsoldat before - and how did I get Pferdeführer? I think here - https://www.wikizero.com/de/Train_(militärisch)

And how did I get Fuhrpark-Kolone 6/XVI /Fuhrpark-Kolonne 1 des XVI. Armee-Korps, 34 Division ? Very good question - but one of the "Genwiki' pages which I can't find now...

And especial thanks for learning the use of the bar to distinguish between 'n' and 'u'!

So, Christine, Andy - how did I do? B for the address and C- for the message???!!!:rolleyes:

Julian 

On 11/25/2017 at 15:42, depaor01 said:

I rediscovered a box of large format glass slides that have some locations and uniforms. Some I posted before and can't find. I'll put the uniforms here and locations elsewhere. ... 

5a19652fe9b6c_80-Copy.jpg.69ae03bdb060dc65e9861eab4f5f2b61.jpg

Always good to get new blood here! Welcome!

Not a lot to be said on uniforms, but two certainly (either end) have 'NCO' braiding on their collars, and they all wear standing collared 'jackets', so 'dress wear', in a sense, with two of them certainly with M.1915-style ones. Also, all have EK ribbons...

Trajan

16 minutes ago, trajan said:

But I could have sworn that there was a 'g' in the name of the addressee - so "Egwert". Also, the letter 'M' in the address for 'Magazin' and in the 'Munchen' are so different from the first letter in the signature and like that in the address - 'Waggon Inspektion' -  which is why I went for a 'W' and  "Wössner" 

Very well done. Must be very difficult in a foreign language.

Names are more difficult than the rest. In this case what you read as a g, I think was part of the E.

Yes, you are right the M in the name looks different than in München. He uses a different writing style in his signature. Besides the h  it is the type of handwriting I learned at school - much easier to read.

Christine

1 hour ago, AliceF said:

... Yes, you are right the M in the name looks different than in München. He uses a different writing style in his signature. Besides the h  it is the type of handwriting I learned at school - much easier to read

Thanks Christine - but I am still confused over the difference between the first letter here - an 'M' - and the 'W' in Waggon Park! They look identical!

I think it is Etappen Inspektion. Wrongly written with two tt.

C.

p.s. And I have no idea why p sometimes look likes g.

Edited by AliceF

I really read Waggon too. But Etappen-Inspeltion makes much  more sense.

The Magazin-Fuhrpark-Kolonne 6 changed its number later into a consecutive number

Scannen0001.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

13 hours ago, trajan said:

... I am still confused over the difference between the first letter here - an 'M' - and the 'W' in Waggon Park! They look identical!

11 hours ago, AliceF said:

I think it is Etappen Inspektion. Wrongly written with two tt. ... And I have no idea why p sometimes look likes g.

11 hours ago, The Prussian said:

I really read Waggon too. But Etappen-Inspeltion makes much  more sense. ... 

Thanks friends! Well, now I have to start building up my own 'Kurrent Schrift' crammer using examples like this! Yes, a major drawback for me is not having a sound backing in German, but things not helped by mis-spellings on these cards.

Dare I try your combined patience and expertise with another few like this last one?:huh:

Julian

Hello Julian!

Of course! I can´t read a lot of the private text, but I can help with the formations

Will do, later! Two nice ones on their way from Germany, plus some of my others to sort through...!!!