Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

On 10/9/2017 at 15:45, 4thGordons said:

German-10.thumb.jpg.dc6e6e815e2037d31e27870db4de372c.jpg

German-11.jpg.dce1e56b7d178f1391312f6806d4f2b8.jpg

Not a lot can be done with the first one, except a solid centre to the one lower cockade and lighter surround might suggest one of the smaller States - Waldbeck? But grasping at straws there!

Second more informative, as two epaulettes visible, one pretty certainly 2 digit with the first a '3', second a ?'1' - and Prussian Lower cockades. 

Edited by trajan

On 10/24/2017 at 22:41, 4thGordons said:

I just picked up another small lot - just now sorting through them - any ideas on this uniform? All the others in the lot appear to be Great War or earlier German.

10-23-German-12.jpg.9cc77225d4b4b2b04df89706ebcc4f5f.jpg

On 10/24/2017 at 23:12, GreyC said:

... I think the first one could be a policeman from the Weimar Republic. ...

I don't think Weimar policemen had epaulettes, did they? The two versions of the Reichsheer in the Weimar didn't have them, I believe, just arm badges for rank... But it doesn't look to be a regular army epaullete either...

These shoulderboards are standard Schutzpolizei shoulderboards during WR. This is probably a Wachtmeister.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Is Grey C right or is he right? :D

Scannen0003.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

On 10/25/2017 at 01:16, 4thGordons said:

10-23-German-10.jpg.1f8682da477f9a8b6ff14c3d752b56b2.jpg

On 10/25/2017 at 04:15, 4thGordons said:

... I was interested to see the neck of the garment under his tunic - because of his physique it is much more visible on him whereas it is not obvious on the others. Is it a collarless shirt of some nature?

It looks to be a Halsbinde, a kind of cravat to stop the neck from chafing from the collar.

Grey C (above, 831) has ID' the Landsturm-Infanterie-Ausbildungs-Bataillon des VII.Armee-Korps Münster, just to add he is with 34 Komp.

8 minutes ago, GreyC said:

These shoulderboards are standard Schutzpolizei shoulderboards during WR. This is probably a Wachtmeister.

6 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Is Grey C right or is he right? :D

I'd say Anwaerter as no braid and a single star!:D

On 10/26/2017 at 03:54, 4thGordons said:

Thanks very much Christine - I was struggling to make any of it out.

Here are a few more from the lot

More for tomorrow - or whenever I get a chance, but I can see that GreyC has been at work on some of this lot already, and now that he and Andy are back in the fray, and as Germany is two hours ahead of me, then I'll expect them all to be properly done by tomorrow - or whenever! Time for bed here...

Tschuess!

46 minutes ago, trajan said:

I'd say Anwaerter as no braid and a single star!:D

Actually, if you read the text of Andreas´copied page carefully it says "Unterwachtmeister before 1928". Police uniforms are not my forte. At least the word "Wachtmeister" is part of the rank :rolleyes: and the boards do look a bit similar.

GreyC

Thanks for all the comments.  I have been lucky recently - I found an interesting collection of Austro-Hungarian (seem to be all Austrian - several displaying bayonets etc) photos in a local shop and I am waiting for the postman to deliver another set of random German photos purchased on an online auction so I may have some more to add soon.

Thanks again for your expertise

Chris

Hello!

To me it´s a little bit confusing... There are too many photos shown in a very short time. If there are any questions, the answers hadn´t been read, and the next photo is shown.

Wouldn´t it be better to talk about "photo by photo", "bit by bit"?

On 12.10.2017 at 00:44, GreyC said:

Hi Chris,

signaller´s patches are not that uncommon. I think there were different versions w regard to shape of the flags over time. There were also patches for signallers of the navy, if I remember correctly.

GreyC

Hi found time to dig in my Army-photo-files-

I knew I had the signallers patch in both styles - the flags straight and in a slight wave form-

1st photo straight variant with the added benefit of a clear view onto the cuffband GIBRALTAR, here worn by a soldier of FR 73 in Hannover.

2nd photo wave-form variant from soldier (Gefreiter) of IR 45 in Königsberg

GreyC

xWinker2_FR73_Gibraltar.jpg

xWinker1_IR45.jpg

xWinker1_D1.jpg

Edited by GreyC

21 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

By the way...

If someone is interested in the history of formations of the Landsturm, my book is out now

https://www.militaria.at/Book.aspx?book=8800000&Language=de

The website seems to be dead... Can you give the complete title? I can then start looking for it.

Jan

Hello Jan!

It really seems to be down. Yesterday it worked fine. Please check it later.

On 11/8/2017 at 21:58, GreyC said:

Actually, if you read the text of Andreas´copied page carefully it says "Unterwachtmeister before 1928".... 

I stand corrected!

On 11/9/2017 at 05:33, The Prussian said:

... To me it´s a little bit confusing... There are too many photos shown in a very short time. If there are any questions, the answers hadn´t been read, and the next photo is shown. ... Wouldn´t it be better to talk about "photo by photo", "bit by bit"?

Here, here! Chris, in two's is very manageable, in threes just manageable, but more than that gets confusing - which is why I reproduce the relevant photograph(s) each time I comment to make it clear what I am talking about!

Julian

On 11/9/2017 at 17:02, AOK4 said:

The website seems to be dead... Can you give the complete title? I can then start looking for it.

22 hours ago, The Prussian said:

It really seems to be down. Yesterday it worked fine. Please check it later.

Worked for me when first posted and working again now - well, here in Turkey at any rate!

On 10/25/2017 at 01:16, 4thGordons said:

10-23-German-4.jpg.e0919168d7b1e99eb7e820fb57bfee72.jpg

Andy, GreyC - any ideas on the bits I can't get on the board?  'Die / *** *** / ***/ II Rek. Depot / VII/34 / September / 1916'?

10-23-German5.jpg.930a0c73acda296198828128e654a59b.jpg

10-23-German-6.jpg.60f850e0832b2f100c51672fcb53f4f3.jpg

10-23-German-7.jpg.0f47c57bf53260282c4931bfa4c77174.jpg

Well, GreyC has done the first in post 841 - 17. XI=2.Landsturm-Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon Gotha

Not a lot to be done with the others... - well, the second does have a S.98, probably and the third a 6/II (red-red-red) or 8/II (blue-red-blue) troddel!

10-23-German-8.jpg.53ab647dfcbc9feb36410bf149e2037f.jpg

10-23-German-16.jpg.d815c3cc2010d988c1dd708e22e682a3.jpg

10-23-German-17.jpg.ed2a89be49414e8b60dff5e61e2ce167.jpg

The first one has one of those matt-appearance M.1915 Koppelschloß

Second lot are IR 56 - number on yellow epaulettes and Brandenburg cuffs with white edging. With a Vizefeldwebel or below, given the 'Mantel' collar patches?

Third - Grey C again, post 841 - Marine Artillerie

On 11/8/2017 at 20:25, The Prussian said:

... Well, back to #846:

Grey C and me discussed the photo and we came to this result.

Please have a look at the shield. I see FAS. So we´ve got Feldartillerie-Schießschule. Yellow Litzen, red shoulder straps and white leather.

Thanks! That one did cross my mind when look at the uniform details but I didn't make the connection... Too late at night here!

2 hours ago, trajan said:

Andy, GreyC - any ideas on the bits I can't get on the board?  'Die / *** *** / ***/ II Rek. Depot / VII/34 / September / 1916'?

Hello Julian!

I read "Die fidelen Remscheider" (The cheerfully Remscheider). Remscheid is a town northeast of Cologne and southeast of Düsseldorf. But the VII.34 doesn´t fit...

Landsturm VII.34 was in Krefeld, Landsturm VIII.34 was in Wahn (near Cologne)

Please check the number. Is it VII or VIII? Are you sure with VII?

But they don´t have collar numbers...

Edited by The Prussian

15 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

... I read "Die fidelen Remscheider" (The cheerfully Remscheider). Remscheid is a town northeast of Cologne and southeast of Düsseldorf. But the VII.34 doesn´t fit...

This is one of three photographs in post 828, and the same man is in all three - and he is certainly VII/34 and so are some of the men in one of the other photographs...

Julian

Well, then ist´s Remscheid .

VII.34 initally was in Minden, later Krefeld. Later it became II/Ldst.Inf.Rgt.606

On 2/12/2015 at 12:38, trajan said:

... However, the basic uniform colour looks to be the (in)famous Bavarian 'hellblau', although in German works the term 'dunkelblau' was used for any style of uniform tunic that was not Feldgrau!

I had always meant to back this statement up and perusing my sources for something else entirely, found something approaching what was needed! It is in Die graue Felduniform der deutschen Armee (Verlag Moritz Ruhl 1910/facsimile = Verlag Weber 2011), p.5: "Unter der Bezeichnung "dunkelblaue Uniform" sind alle Uniformen der bisherigen Art zu verstehen". There are exceptions to the "feldgrau" rule, though - "graugruen" for Jaegern, Schuetzen, Maschinengewehr-Abteilungen and Jaeger zu Pferde...

Julian

Selam Trajan!

That´s absolutely right.

Dunkelblau (darkblue) means the old uniform, although Bavaria had the hellblau (brightblue) colour.

5 - Linien-Infanterie.jpg

7 - Jäger, Leibgendarmerie, Stabs-Ordonnanzen, Reitendes Feldjäger-Korps.jpg

35 - Bayern. Infanterie.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

Bought two for their Ersatz bayonets, and here is the first... 

Nothing on the back, but as you can read on the helmet covers IR 155 - so,  7. Westpreußisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 155. But,  none of the expected yellow piping on the epaulettes (for V AKorps), so I did wonder if they are RIR Nr.155? However, I can't find a reference to there being such a unit! Another thing that made me think of a possible RIR 155 were the outdated blackened leather Patronetaschen M.88 or M.95 worn by the chappie on the right, while the guy on the left has the M.09 ones. Likewise,  what I think are M.1908 Waffenrock with Stehkragen. But these could be explained by these chaps being supplied with what was available for issue! Note the EB 9-type bayonets, so the photograph cannot be earlier than October 1914,  and probably 1915 in reality. Haven't got any other record (unit-marking or photograph) for the IR 155 having Erstaz bayonets, so good to add this one to my listings...

scan0003.jpg

scan0003a.jpg

Second, a Landsturm man with an EB 09-type on his Gew. 71/84(?), and name and date on the back - is that "Rorthman"?

Annoying, the Corps number is not quite visible, but I think possibly XV, with 31 as the bataillon number... The cockade doesn't really help - does not even seem to have a Landwehr Kreuz... But dark inner and outer, so possibly Priussuain Pussian or Saxon... As for those cartridge case -???

Julian

scan0004.jpgscan0004a.jpg scan0005B.jpg

Edited by trajan
Spelling...