Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Uniform Photos

4thGordons

On 1/1/2018 at 00:31, 4thGordons said:

Father Christmas brought me another set! ... The first picture might be particularly interesting to Julian given what is on display! ... Happy New Year / Frohes neues Jahr / Mutlu Yıllar

Chris

Thanks Chris, and greetings returned to you and all others on this thread in particular, but all GWF marrers also!

Yep, it's the good old S.71 bayonet, mounted on Gew.71 here, as extensively used by Landswehr and Landsturm, and even by one or two Reserve units! 

On 1/1/2018 at 07:27, 4thGordons said:

Hi GreyC - yes, thanks, it was. I think photos are the one part of my obsession interest that Maria can see the attraction of.

Looking though the rest there are many more snapshots and informal pics (including some "front" pictures) than formal ones and they are smallish.

This one however, is a competitor for the "take absolutely all of the guesswork out of the picture with a comprehensive caption" award.

No8bw.jpg.a0e50246163796965ca58b5f00a0d7b5.jpg

A good clear view of their shoulder tabs as well, to remove any doubt! What is interesting to me is how the lower cockade shows as just slightly larger than the upper one, given its yellow outer ring contrasted with the national cockade's black one. For one second, when first looking at this, I thought from this apparent size difference that they might be Bavarians, then saw the board ... And in any case, Bavarian lower cockades really are (usually!) that significantly bit bigger!

But, have a look at the chap to the right of the board... Is that a Hessen belt buckle? The rest have the standard Prussian type, as should be the case...

buckle.jpg

Hi Julian!

It really looks like a Hessen buckle! No guess, no idea, why...

Edited by The Prussian

On 1/1/2018 at 19:43, AOK4 said:

It's höh. Töchterschule (=höhere Töchterschule).

Jan

Hi Jan,

What is? Which one are you referring to?:wacko:

On 1/2/2018 at 00:01, 4thGordons said:

...  The epaulette on the man on the right shows 14

shoulder14.jpg.a26babcf88836ecfbec26f0e39b3ea63.jpg

Looks to be 14 here also...

No5.jpg.b05be24c996f8d82372bfcfe9c967807.jpg

19 hours ago, Sturmmann1918 said:

... You may see me starting to post here, I've always wanted to share my collection but never got around to it.

Please do! All grist to the mill!

19 hours ago, GreyC said:

... he was a one-year-volunteer, as indicated by the bicolored thread around the shoulder board.

A useful article here on these chappies... http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/new OneYearVolunteer.htm

41 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Yes! It´s the Augusta Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr.4. Blue sholulder straps

Thanks for confirmation!

18 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Hi Julian!

It really looks like a Hessen buckle! No guess, no idea, why...

And for this one also!

Good discovery! Welcome here, Joe!

16 minutes ago, joerookery said:

Goodness I just found  this thread!

Yes indeed, welcome Joe! You'll find - if you trawl back through the earlier stuff - that you have been 'used' here for reference here now and again...and again...and again...!!!

Julian

Julian and Prussian,

Many thanks for the identification of K .Augusta Gd. Gr. Regt.  Nr4 , I must amend the  catalogue of my photos.

yours

Mike

Here is another one. Alongside it are views of a hospital and a group of wounded men in their striped cotton "pajamas"

Red-Cross.jpg.93ca592699f5073264ec29169287433a.jpg

Nice,

one of my favorite areas of collecting. Freiwilliger Krankenpfleger 1916 or earlier. Try a close up of the belt buckle. Red Cross?

GreyC

24 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Try a close up of the belt buckle. Red Cross?

GreyC

buckle.jpg.f6e02e71a66157ef33d62644c21e78eb.jpg

not certain

Thanks - and yup!

The Freiwillige Krankenpflege during WW1 was made up of large civilian groups of voluntary (freiwillige) nurses (Krankenpfleger/-Schwestern)-male and female - who belonged to the different transnational organisations (Johaniter, Malteser, Rotes Kreuz - St. Johns, Maltesers(?), Red Cross) During the war they were united as "Freiwillige Krnkenpflege" but still had distinct uniforms. As the German Red Cross chapters provided the bulk of them, their uniforms prevail. They are not to be confused with the guys in fieldgrey wearing the Red Cross armband. They were soldiers with special medical-knowledge and expertise. Medics or in German Sanitäter or Krankenträger (different tasks, both soldiers).

GreyC

PS: Please note the Red Cross Cockade instead of the National German emblem on his cap!

Edited by GreyC

I've spent the last day trying to scan over 1,000 photos...This is going to take a while! I knew I should have started earlier. Here's a photo of an officer in a trench, the back is dated March 1917.Watermark636506949869890923.png.cc3c793be5b58fc0532df099052d5159.png

Being a Paramedic, you can imagine that my "Rotes Kreuz und Sanitäter" category in my collection is quite large :D The reverse of this RPPC is stamped for March 1915.

Watermark636506955715960792.png

Hello!

Here is one of my collection

Freiwillige Krankenpflege.JPG

Hi both of you,

whereas Sturmmann presents a group from the Red Cross 1916 or before, the Prussian has got a photo of a guy taken late 1916 or after (round collar patches).

The most prominent figure in Sturmmann´s photo is the person with his coat over his arm. He is the Kolonnenführer. He also has a long service stripe on his sleeve. The person to the right of him could be a doctor. Too hard to  see from the size of the photo, but makes sense as they are the central figures in the group.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

And here are the ranks

Freiwillige Krankenpflege.JPEG

Is anyone familiar with Kaiserliche Marine insignia? Here is a undated photo with what I believe to be the Captain of a vessel. I have another photo of the same individual with a life raft in the background that says " KF? Immelmann" I suspect that it may be a small torpedo boat named after the flying ace Max Immelmann killed in 1916, but I have not been able to confirm this.

2018-08-01-14-20-25.jpeg

Hi,

this is a nice one.

He will have served on board KFS (Kriegsfeuerschiff= War Lightvessel) Immelmann, built in 1916 by the Nordseewerke Emden 38,72 m long. It did its duty off Borkum from 1917 and after the war was used as fishing vessel under different names. Broken up in 1951.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC