Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kim'sTower of London Poppy has arrived!

Tom Morgan

I have received an email - no really I have :)

But it seems to be a circular one, advising my poppy has been picked and is on it's way and to keep an eye out for my email.

Has anyone else checked their status to see if they have the Yodel links? It may be indicitive of them being about to post out.

• Admin

I had an email today from them. ...........

I have read all the posts and find I have to reply.

I have been researching my father who served in the Great War and was captured at Passchendaele on 27 October 1917. I was in the National Library of Scotland in Edinburgh on 11/11/14 at 11 am watching the last poppy being laid and the 2 minutes silence. I read the poppies with messages left from people from all walks of life in a special WWI exhibition they had and immediately after this read about the battle of Passchendaele and of what happened on the day he was taken captive. He did survive the war after being in 3 prisoner of war camps and repatriated from Copenhagen.

My uncle Basil was killed on 17 February 1917 at Courcelette (Battle of the Somme). They were attacked in the early hours of the morning as they reached the red line. He is remembered on Thiepval memorial as he was never found.

I made a point of going to the Tower of London from Scotland to see the Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red poppy installation. My uncle Basil's name was read out on 29 September 2014 at the roll of honour ceremonies.

My reason for telling this story. They both served in the City of London Regiment, The Royal Fusiliers and joined up at the Tower of London. They would therefore have stood in the moat where this great installation was and left for war from there.

I bought 2 poppies in order to remember 2 very brave people - one who gave his life for his country (aged 21 when he was killed) and another who survived but lived with his injuries for the rest of his life until his death aged 77. My reason I bought these poppies, pure and simple in remembrance and something which can be passed on to future generations. They will never be forgotten which is important and the artist has to be applauded for this.

Reverend John

• Admin

Kim, I just read it was from the Tower but I think it was the same generic one you received

Michelle

I've just received an email saying my poppy is being picked up, but the order number quoted is definitely that of the poppy I received this afternoon. I checked the yodel refs on the other 2 poppies and both refs say 'waiting'.

Judy

I have received an email - no really I have :)

But it seems to be a circular one, advising my poppy has been picked and is on it's way and to keep an eye out for my email.

Has anyone else checked their status to see if they have the Yodel links? It may be indicitive of them being about to post out.

Just received a similar email advising my poppy is being picked and cleaned. Interesting that they are sending out Yodel links even though the packages have apparently not yet been passed to the courier.

Not getting excited about this, though, as they are probably just getting into gear. The whole exercise of picking, cleaning and despatching must be a massive undertaking. I'll still be keeping an eye on Yodel every few days, though.

I have just checked the status of my order (placed on 5th August) via the Royal Historic Palaces Tower of London Remembers site and apparently my Poppy will be dispatched between January and February, 1915.

I will just have to be paticent :)

Sepoy

When did you order Jerry? And which letter does your surname start with please?

Maybe the "B" in "Jerry B" was a clue. Bit lime Boney M, really.

BTW, I have an e-mail saying mine's being picked. So there.

Not necessarily, Mr B - perhaps he just stuck a B in there because it sounded good. Maybe he's leading a false trail, it could well be that his name isn't even Jerry.

You know what they say, never ASSume anything ;)

I have read all the posts and find I have to reply.

Reverend John

Thanks for posting, whilst I await the arrival of my poppy your comments are a gentle reminder that we all have our own reasons for purchasing, some more personal than others.

Maybe the "B" in "Jerry B" was a clue. Bit lime Boney M, really.

BTW, I have an e-mail saying mine's being picked. So there.

My middle name also begins with a B.

As regards the email stating that your poppy is being picked, I had mine after my poppy had arrived.

Typical. I bet Mrs Broomfield is keeping it for my Festive Gift. Cheapskate.

Normally I would say, the name is Bond, James, oops Jerry Bond, but I won't this time.

My reason I bought these poppies, pure and simple in remembrance and something which can be passed on to future generations. They will never be forgotten which is important and the artist has to be applauded for this.

Reverend John

My thoughts exactly, and it saddens me that some try to suggest otherwise. Thank you for putting it so well.

Well mine has arrived and I am delighted with it. A bit of a struggle to put the washers on the stalk though! Resorted to putting the last one in hot water to make it easier!

Roger

I had what I thought was a generic email last night, then our poppy arrived this afternoon. We ordered on 6th August. The guy from the depot said 60 Poppy boxes had arrived there today.

They had better not try to steal Kim's. Their lives really wouldn't be worth living.

Quite right :D

Trenchcat, every little bit if info helps to show how the distribution is going, so it's good to know that, thank you :)

They certainly seem to be getting them out asap though, don't they. It would appear to be a well run bit of organisation, wonder if it's a Sgt/major running it! ;)

I received 2 poppies on Saturday and my order number was in the 200,000s. Pleased to see that the stem is nice and rusty and not a new one.

I had reason to talk to a manager at Yodel (the couriers) and learnt that the Poppies, once cleaned, go to a company in Derbyshire for packaging and posting. So for those who live nearer to the Tower than the Isle of Ely you may have to wait longer for your Poppies. Actually that's not true because I was assured that the Poppies are being sent out strictly according to the date the order was received. However as over a quarter of the orders have been completed now I imagine most orders will be complete before Christmas. The Jan/Feb 2015 delivery date seems overly pessimistic.

The booklet that comes with the poppy makes for good reading as from that you get some idea of where the money goes. The RBL are giving all their portion to their Admiral Nursing Service, which is working with Dementia UK; a charity that looks after dementia sufferers

Garth

We got an email telling us that ours was on its way, on Sunday morning. To our surprise the much-maligned Yodel delivered it on the same day. The driver told us that he had been asked if he would like to work on Sunday in order to keep the deliveries going, avoiding a build-up at the depot. The rather massive delivery project certainly seems to be very well-run.

Tom

Edit: for reference, our order number was 45639

How strange, my order No is 60610, and I ordered 5th August. As yet no poppy.

Andy

Mine is in the 47,000 range and no poppy. Others have been delivered to my local area, also my niece in Aberdeen has had hers, so actually there seems no rhyme or reason at all to the order in which they're being despatched. I think mine was ordered on the 6th August, so definitely not being sent according to order date. Just the luck of the draw.

Sue