Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kim'sTower of London Poppy has arrived!

Tom Morgan

The installation you loathe so much has probably been THE biggest talking point so far in the whole centenary commemoration. Certainly from a personal point of view I know it has piqued an interest among friends who might otherwise have almost let the whole thing pass them by. I think that's a good thing. No doubt you will find fault with the unwashed masses daring to share in your remembrance.

You have hit the nail on the head, Heather.

Sadly there are a few people who regard themselves as the custodians of remembrance, and they actively resent other people muscling in. They don't want people outside their own little clique to have an interest in the Great War, and they don't want people to show respect for the fallen. They would rather stand on their little hillocks of self-righteousness, tut-tutting at Joe Public for showing no respect and for being ignorant or heedless of the reasons behind Remembrance Day. Disappointingly for them, more and more of the public each year are taking part in Remembrance ceremonies and supporting the service charities. This is why they hate the "Blood-Swept Lands & Seas Of Red", and direct such venom at it. They are mortified that it has been so successful in moving the nation and stirring interest among the great unwashed. There is similar resentment over the Sainsbury advert. Their hypocrisy is sickening.

I feel I must come back and say that I started this thread purely as an expression of my surprise that the poppies were being delivered so quickly. This was the only point I wanted to make. I feel rather embarrassed at having tried to answer Norman's question in Post 2 as helpfully as I could, and in good faith, when I now realise that it was a piss-take making fun of me. I'm quite sorry to see the route this thread has taken.

Tom

You have hit the nail on the head, Heather.

Sadly there are a few people who regard themselves as the custodians of remembrance, and they actively resent other people muscling in. They don't want people outside their own little clique to have an interest in the Great War, and they don't want people to show respect for the fallen. They would rather stand on their little hillocks of self-righteousness, tut-tutting at Joe Public for showing no respect and for being ignorant or heedless of the reasons behind Remembrance Day. Disappointingly for them, more and more of the public each year are taking part in Remembrance ceremonies and supporting the service charities. This is why they hate the "Blood-Swept Lands & Seas Of Red", and direct such venom at it. They are mortified that it has been so successful in moving the nation and stirring interest among the great unwashed. There is similar resentment over the Sainsbury advert. Their hypocrisy is sickening.

I for one don't see it as hypocrisy.....more one of enlightenment.... not to be taken in by money making investors on the backs of the dead that lie in the cemeteries and the battlefields of the Great War.

my very best regards

Tom

... not to be taken in by money making investors on the backs of the dead that lie in the cemeteries and the battlefields of the Great War...

Countless films and theatre productions about war have relied on investors and have made lots of money for them and their participants without any benefit to those who died and otherwise suffered in the events depicted, sometimes with debatable accuracy.(And in some cases the actual wartime activities of certain actors has been less than glorious.)

Perhaps more than enough has now been said about the original concept of the Poppies installation, and we cannot help but note the critical, minority, views of a couple of members. Probably it is too much to hope that the rest of this thread will be confined to the receipt of individual poppies?

Moonraker

Probably it is too much to hope that the rest of this thread will be confined to the receipt of individual poppies?

Moonraker

I would agree with that - everyone has had there chance to comment on the Poppies - let's leave this thread to the delivery and receipt of them. And, yes, thanks Tom M for starting the thread

Alan

Tom, it is Norman who should be sorry.

Don't hold your breath.

For what it's worth, I have ordered a Poppy; I am quite looking forward to it arriving, whenever that might be. I'll also repeat a point I made on another thread: had the investors not put up the money, this wouldn't have happened. Putting money into any investment is not a guarantee of a profit - there is a risk. No-one, whenever this was planned, could have foreseen the success, so I, for one, am not only happy someone is making a profit, but I thank them for taking the risk.

For what it's worth, I have ordered a Poppy; I am quite looking forward to it arriving, whenever that might be. I'll also repeat a point I made on another thread: had the investors not put up the money, this wouldn't have happened. Putting money into any investment is not a guarantee of a profit - there is a risk. No-one, whenever this was planned, could have foreseen the success, so I, for one, am not only happy someone is making a profit, but I thank them for taking the risk.

Well said and I must admit I wish now that I'd ordered one. Tom M - thanks for sharing the details with us - nice to know they are coming out so fast and that you are happy with yours. I know there was some talk they would not be shipped with a stalk so I'm glad to see that's not the case.

Just to clarify - I haven't got a poppy, though I do have one on order. The one delivered was my son's. He was so surprised to get it so soon after the volunteers started removing the installation that he sent me a photo. He received an email on Saturday morning telling him that the poppy would be delivered in the next few days. It was delivered the same morning. Mind you, he does live nearer to the Tower of London than most of the population - 35 miles away. Having said that, I had read that the poppies, once removed, would be taken to a facility in the West Midlands (which is where I live) where they would be cleaned and packed.

Tom

I received a text and an email notification that my poppy will arrive within two days.

Mind you, he does live nearer to the Tower of London than most of the population - 35 miles away.

I live about 12 miles away from the Tower, as the crow flies, mine has not arrived althought since the start of this thread I have been checking my email, about, every 15 seconds. :thumbsup:

I ordered one because I wanted one! No idea what I am going to do with it, yet.

My take on the whole thing is the general public, thanking the general public (of 1914 - 1918) who became servicemen and women, kept the supplies flowing on the home and overseas fronts. And especially those who gave everything. Bless 'em all. :poppy:

I received a text and an email notification that my poppy will arrive within two days.

When did you order Jerry? And which letter does your surname start with please?

When did you order Jerry? And which letter does your surname start with please?

Ordered on the 8th August, surname begins with a B. The tracking email info says it is due to arrive today.

Patience, Kim, patience!

Roger

Patience, Kim, patience!

Roger

Just trying to get a handle on it Roger :D

Thanks Jerry.

So far, from the few we know of, those who ordered early August seem to be getting theirs first, however our sample is very, very small (3). We need more recipients to post as they're received, so we can see if there really is a pattern.

Meanwhile, those of us who ordered on 6 August and have not yet heard or received anything, can continue to stare forlornly at every passing van :(

I ordered mine on the 5th August and if I check my order on their 'order status' page it tells me that the expected shipping date is Jan/Feb 2015, so I'm not holding my breath.

Sue

Kim

Breathe in slowly and count to seven. Breathe out slowly and do the same. Have another fig roll.

Paul

For the last time, and specifically for Norman, this thread is about the delivery of poppies only

I ordered mine on the 5th August and if I check my order on their 'order status' page it tells me that the expected shipping date is Jan/Feb 2015, so I'm not holding my breath.

Sue

It says that for everyone, no matter when you ordered. It's a one size fits all statement to stop people harping on at them.

It has arrived and very nice it is too. Still slightly damp as another mentioned and with a certificate stating it is one of those from the tower moat.

My order number is in the 140,000 's. Just checked and due Jan to Feb time. when it comes, it comes

Roger

So, despite me knowing it's a one size fits all statement with regards to delivery times, and it says the same for everyone, curiosity got the better of me. I went onto the poppy site and sure enough it advises January/February delivery. But then I scrolled down a touch and found some tracking links (one for each poppy). I excitedley clicked on each link, but no details were shown. As you can see from the cut and pasted statement below, this MAY mean something ........... Or it may not!

It would be interesting to know if others have links on their orders yet?

From the poppy site:

Estimated shipping date:

January - February 2015

To track your delivery please click the tracking id(s) below.

If there is no tracking ID shown or you see the following when you click the tracking id 'Sorry, we couldn't find your parcel details. Please check the information on your Yodel Call Card and try again', then your poppy is still in the process of being picked, cleaned and packaged. Please check back in a few days or wait for the confirmation email / text which will be sent to the details provided at time of order.

It says that for everyone, no matter when you ordered. It's a one size fits all statement to stop people harping on at them.

FAILED :lol:

I'd never even looked at that page before, but will work to the new year and anything else will be a bonus.

Sue

I ordered one poppy on 6 August - I recently looked at tracking and it said January/February 2015 ... but it arrived today (after a text and email from yodel). I ordered 2 more on 7 August so...maybe soon.

Judy

PS edit. I opened mine a bit too quickly around the 'zip' opening (excitement!) and tore some of the paper from the picture inside the box. I have glued it up quite successfully but will open the next boxes more carefully.

Edited by judy7007

i wish i had ordered a couple more, just perhaps in 4 years time? who knows