Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kim'sTower of London Poppy has arrived!

Tom Morgan

• 1 month later...

We found a Tower of London Poppy in a cemetery near Neuve Chapelle on Sunday.

Very moving to see it there.

Ordered on the 5th August, 2014 and arrived today, 16th March, 2015!

Shame that they did not dispatch the Poppies in the order the orders were received, BUT I AM DELIGHTED to finally receive mine!

Now how to display it? A brass British 18 Pounder cartridge case or a French 75mm cartridge case?? And will the Memsahib allow it to be displayed in the front room???

Sepoy

Wow, and I thought I had to wait a long time!

I realised I never posted a photo of mine once I got them, so to delight you all ..........

image_3.jpg

Very nice indeed Kim. I am also very pleased with the brushed steel stand for my one and only poppy, thanks to Gwyn. Sepoy, that is amazing I thought they had all been delivered - my confirmation email was 6th August and my poppy was received on 13th December.

Anne

Nope, I'm just embarrasing myself really. Looking back on this thread I see I did previously post a photo, and I forgot. Oh dear, it really must be my age :(

Wow, and I thought I had to wait a long time!

I realised I never posted a photo of mine once I got them, so to delight you all ..........

image_3.jpg

Kim

That looks excellent - I am now regretting only ordering the one!

I also wish that I had a suitable piece of trench art to display it in - I assume yours is a decorated French 75mm case. I have put mine in a corner of the front room close to a wall mounted memorial plaque. I will wait to see how long it takes my Wife Rachel to notice.........

Sepoy

NB Re remembering, it is nice to know that I am not the only one :)

Sorry, I don't know which type of case it is. I purchased it from Red Barchetta (a member on this forum) so he will know. He is also, I believe, taking some to the GWF conference at the end of this month :)

Your wife can't possibly not like the poppy, they are lovely objects, and greatly admired.

Sepoy,

From recollection, it is a French 75mm, yes, embossed with flowers. As Kim says, I'll bring some to the Conference if anyone wants to buy one (£30 each) - what I had previously considered 'average' trench art (i.e. with just flowers on, no place names or other imagery) suddenly comes into its own, and works really well!

If you are not coming to the conference, PM me and I'll send you some photos and you can pick one.

Thanks

James

Fantastic news Kim. Also many thanks to James for my shell case (similar to Kim's). It really is a good way to display these poppies and all visitors to my house mention it.

Neil

• 7 months later...

I was at our Regimental Church parade (at St Columba's in Pont Street) yesterday and saw this display

Pont%20Street%20Poppies.jpg

Apparently a member of the congregation has purchased them all and (I think) loaned them to the Church. The ones at the front were done by the Sunday School.

That is certainly a lovely display, but there's sonething about those poppies that doesn't look right. I think the petals look overly big/out of proportion compared to all the others I've seen (on photos and first hand experience). Just my own initial impression and am most probably wrong.

I was in France last week and saw what I thought was a ToL poppy but as I got closer (and I had to get very close indeed) I realised it was a very good copy. It appeared to be made out of metal (I didn't touch it, it was from sight only) and was most impressive. I was more impressed it was still in place though.

I do wonder though, Steven, seeing so many, if that number would have been sold to one person and whether they are actually really good copies?

No idea. The Minister said they were real. He's a man of God. I believe him.