Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

1 minute ago, Knotty said:

He led the German delegation at Versailles, but I can’t remember his bloody name🤬

Google is your friend 😁

Just now, Uncle George said:

He is Ulrich von Brockdorff-Rantzau.

Indeed he is. 

One giveaway clue deserves another. 😊

This is annoying , it’s a double barrelled name, similar to a footballer of the 70’s…..Google will be last resort😁 

This is annoying , it’s a double barrelled name, similar to a footballer of the 70’s…..Google will be last resort😁 

U.G. has put you out of your misery. 🤔

Ah beaten to it by UG, and in case you were wondering the footballer was think was Rob Redhousebrick  or Rensenbrink……don’t ask.

Ah beaten to it by UG, and in case you were wondering the footballer was think was Rob Redhousebrick  or Rensenbrink……don’t ask.

There was also this bloke with a name that didn't fit on the back of the shirt!

Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink, He played for clubs such as the Dutch Eredivisie's FC Twente and PSV, the Scottish Premier League's Celtic, Hull City of the English Premier League and Rapid Vienna of Austria's Bundesliga.

This is a very famous, heroically brave man. He has had a film made of his life, had streets named after him, featured on postage stamps. And that,  as they say, isn’t the half of it. But who is he ? ? ?

91AE4FF0-5A2B-408E-9DE5-7210B261568D.jpeg

My chap would appear to be wearing rather distinctive Kragenspiegel. I wonder if this has any significance.

I'm sure it has, but way beyond my scope to recognise it unfortunately. 

Perhaps signifying a non-German unit?

40 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I'm sure it has, but way beyond my scope to recognise it unfortunately. 

Perhaps signifying a non-German unit?

No, not a non-German unit. He was a non-combatant. Despite this, he was awarded the EK1 (as we can see) and lost a leg in the front line.

Is he “The Hobbling Priest” aka Rupert Mayer, who lost a leg and was the first Iron Cross bravery awarded to a chaplain?

21 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Is he “The Hobbling Priest” aka Rupert Mayer, who lost a leg and was the first Iron Cross bravery awarded to a chaplain?

That seems like a good guess as when you google it the previous picture is bottom right here!

image.png.7f9f475d2dd14819bdeab4098a40d0f7.png

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

Red-white-red until we’re dead

24 Feb 1938

Austrian Chancellor Kurt Schuschnigg made the "Red-white-red until we're dead" ("Rot-weiß-rot bis in den Tod") speech at the Austrian Bundestag in protest of German threat. In the country, protests both for and against Germany appeared; meanwhile, there was a run on the banks and tourists began to leave the country.

24 Feb 1938 | World War II Database (ww2db.com)

4 minutes ago, jonbem said:

24 Feb 1938

Austrian Chancellor Kurt Schuschnigg made the "Red-white-red until we're dead" ("Rot-weiß-rot bis in den Tod") speech at the Austrian Bundestag in protest of German threat. In the country, protests both for and against Germany appeared; meanwhile, there was a run on the banks and tourists began to leave the country.

24 Feb 1938 | World War II Database (ww2db.com)

Correct! (I got a bit confused with the posting - apologies) Image from Austria-forum.org.

I have one to offer.

Reportedly the last of his kind.

20210622_125728.jpg.469e2b46ca6e04f7db23b0e88c81280f.jpg20210622_130327.jpg.32ddd52a2bbf8154e1cf30dbcc2a8420.jpg

4 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Royal Scots Fusiliers?

Seaforths. His particular battalion being the first Highland territorial btn to serve in France.

He is linked by his ancestry to the Forth bridge.

His grave.

20210622_130401.jpg.eb2f1abd352faaac126aa444c77b24b6.jpg

Is he Norman Collins, the author of ‘Last Man Standing - the Memoirs of a Seaforth Highlander’?

Edited by Uncle George

Just now, Uncle George said:

Is he Norman Collins?

He isn't.

Look again at the grave. Taken in conjunction with my previous hint it's a huge clue. 

Also linked to a Prime Minister's son and a VC winner.

Edited by neverforget

He is Captain Sir John Edward Fowler, 4th Seaforth Highlanders, who was killed  22nd June 1915. It is currently assumed that he was the last soldier repatriated and buried in his local church,despite the April 1915 ruling “banning” the bring home of bodies.

He was the elder son of Sir John Arthur and Lady Fowler,and the grandson of Sir John Arthur Fowler, a civil engineer who was also the engineer in chief of the Forth Bridge.

Perfect answer John, well done. 

The date of his death was to be my next clue. I think the clues were there to be had to be fair.

Good one for today.

https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/world-war-i-articles/sir-john-edward-fowler-the-last-repatriation-from-the-western-front-in-1915/