Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

3 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

Also to note that asteroid 3321 is named after Crimean War Nurse Dasha of Sebastopol... 

I should have said Great War….apologies M

7 minutes ago, jonbem said:

No not him.

You might have to loop through some other names!

Oh gawd, I wonder if it is who I think it might be. If it is, I posted him yonks ago and should be kicking myself.

12 minutes ago, neverforget said:

should be kicking myself.

Vy pravil’no Steve,you assumed right😁

2 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Vy pravil’no Steve,you assumed right😁

It comes around it goes around 😉

He was in contact with a couple of Austrians.

45 minutes ago, Knotty said:

I should have said Great War….apologies M

no no, it's just me sharing stuff nobody needs to know but still... interesting to know. Of course the guy on the pic is not Dasha... 

M.

5 hours ago, Marilyne said:

interesting to know

I found it interesting, But then I find waffles interesting. I quite like astronomy, and would like it a lot more if I lived somewhere with less light pollution ........

Pete.

20 hours ago, jonbem said:

No not him.

You might have to loop through some other names!

Max Immelmann?

3 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

Max Immelmann?

Sorry no

try again:blink:

2 minutes ago, jonbem said:

Sorry no

try again:blink:

Remembering that he is Russian.

OK

His contact with the two Austrians was a crash.

Hi jon

Give it another few hours and I might put you out of your misery😁

4 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Hi jon

Give it another few hours and I might put you out of your misery😁

Sometimes it's f#@&kin hard work being the host 😁

I think I have him: - Pyotr Nikolayevich Nesterov  the first man to attempt and succeed with an aerial ramming attack.  I knew the Russians had ammunition supply issues but this?  

That's him

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyotr_Nesterov

he also....

Nesterov believed an aircraft could fly a loop, a feat not previously performed. Despite the doubts of his peers, Nesterov proved his theory on 9 September 1913 (27 August by the calendar then used in Russia) and became the first pilot to fly a loop.[2] This was done in a Nieuport IV monoplane over Syretzk Aerodrome near Kiev, before many watchers.[citation needed] For this he was disciplined with ten days of close arrest, ostensibly "for risking government property". His achievement made him famous overnight and when the feat was officially done by the famous French pilot Adolphe Pégoud, the punishment was reversed; he was promoted to staff captain and later awarded a medal. Stressing the value of these exercises for a military pilot, Nesterov improved Russian flight methods through extensive training, both with cross country flights and steep turns, and designed a vee tail for the Nieuport he was flying although its performance proved disappointing.

10 minutes ago, jonbem said:

That's him

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyotr_Nesterov

he also....

Nesterov believed an aircraft could fly a loop, a feat not previously performed. Despite the doubts of his peers, Nesterov proved his theory on 9 September 1913 (27 August by the calendar then used in Russia) and became the first pilot to fly a loop.[2] This was done in a Nieuport IV monoplane over Syretzk Aerodrome near Kiev, before many watchers.[citation needed] For this he was disciplined with ten days of close arrest, ostensibly "for risking government property". His achievement made him famous overnight and when the feat was officially done by the famous French pilot Adolphe Pégoud, the punishment was reversed; he was promoted to staff captain and later awarded a medal. Stressing the value of these exercises for a military pilot, Nesterov improved Russian flight methods through extensive training, both with cross country flights and steep turns, and designed a vee tail for the Nieuport he was flying although its performance proved disappointing.

I posted him ages ago but used a different picture so I didn't recognise him. 😶. It wasn't until your loop reference that I had my suspicions, which John quickly confirmed. 👍

I stumbled across him, - I was looking at Alexander Kazakov  He performed the second successful aerial ramming attack,  and his article mentions Pyotr Nikolayevich.

If I drunk the filthy stuff,  I'd eschew vodka forthwith..   

4 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

I stumbled across him, - I was looking at Alexander Kazakov  He performed the second successful aerial ramming attack,  and his article mentions Pyotr Nikolayevich.

If I drunk the filthy stuff,  I'd eschew vodka forthwith..   

Well played Mr. H.

Yep well played Mr H

And his other first I alluded to….he is the only Russian Great War pilot to have an asteroid named after him😁

3 hours ago, Knotty said:

Yep well played Mr H

And his other first I alluded to….he is the only Russian Great War pilot to have an asteroid named after him😁

Thank you NF and Knotty.  My,  there ae a lot of rocks named after Russians.  

GH

Edited by Gunner Hall

So who might this be ? ? ? An avocat, his career spanned both World Wars. As did other’s:

3F389D8C-D3F2-4AA6-85B9-286CDB75461F.jpeg.78bb9f1b284c37098b6ed06cf4bd69ce.jpeg

EDIT: image from Wikipedia

Well if he was an Avocat I therefore presume he defended, prosecuted or sentenced someone who was executed?

Thanks for the clue. I wondered about Édouard Clunet, who defended Margaretha Zelle, but he has the disadvantage of not looking like your photograph in any I can find......

Pete.

He prosecuted a number of high profile individuals, of both wars. When he wasn’t doing that, in the First war he “put before the firing squad rebels and deserters and soldiers” pour encourages les autres; during the Second he was in a senior position with a legal body responsible for depriving Jews of their French nationality.