Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

40 minutes ago, seaJane said:

I want to say that it's something about a Shakespeare first folio

Correct so far seaJane, the first clue will tell you where it is😁, you should soon get the name.

45 minutes ago, seaJane said:

I want to say that it's something about a Shakespeare first folio

Is the name Hemminges or Condell maybe?

Pete.

1 minute ago, Knotty said:

Hi Pete

No neither of those two names, sorry.

It was a bit tongue in cheek, think of it as as an attempt at humour slightly (but only slightly) superior to using a scooby doo ending to signal that I haven't a clue. Which is not the case as you have provided several amusingly arch clues but as usula (or usual even) they are completely wasted on me.

Pete.

I'm still baffled! Must be missing something ....

12 minutes ago, seaJane said:

I'm still baffled! Must be missing something

You're not alone Jane.

He has a rather unusual couple of forenames, and the surname sounds a bit fishy.

First clues too obscure for me,  but  Having thrown back Privates  A.A Sturgeon,  and Arthur John Bass,  I'm left with Lt.  Gladwin Maurice Revel Turbutt 

https://www.pagesofthesea.org.uk/soldier/gladwyn-maurice-revel-turbutt/

We have a winner GH.

Lt Gladwyn Maurice Revell Turbutt of the Ox and Bucks Light Infantry it is, killed in action 21/10/14 during the First Battle of Ypres in the area of St. Julien, during the retreat from Mons.

Before the war he had restored to the Bodleian Library Oxford, the original first folio of one Bill Shakespeare, which was in his family’s possession. It had originally been presented to the library by the Stationers Hall, but for some reason the library subsequently sold it off…….wonder why?

If you scroll down to his name on this roll of honour taken from his home town in Derbyshire, there is a piece taken from the Guardian about his life and career

https://www.roll-of-honour.com/Derbyshire/Brackenfield.html

Edited by Knotty

I can imagine the Bodleian Librarian deciding that the old thing hadn't been loaned for two hundred years,  so it didn't deserve a place on the shelves.

Your first and subsequent  clues had me hunting through Childrens Books by Michael Cole,   "Bod and the three week old bloater" ,  for example.

On 24/05/2021 at 16:35, Knotty said:

some reason the library subsequently sold it off…

It seems they did so when the Third Folio came into their possession not so very much later, on the grounds that it was the more up-to-date version. Which makes perfect sense in some libraries :D . I knew it had to be that First Folio, but could I find from the Bod's web-pages how it got back to them? no ..... falling down on the job they are, where's the provenance note??

I wonder if, - in a couple of hundred years  -people will boggle at the though that I'm happy to pulp the 2020 "Rough Guide to Portugal". Or the 2019 WEEE regulations.  

Do I keep my Worcester Bosch gas boiler instructions for posterity and pass them down as a “priceless” heirloom, for when electricity (or any other energy source) rules😁

I'll send you my Potterton instructions.  We can form the Knottian Library of gas technology in Kidderminster .  It'll fit right in with the museum of carpet. 

At the risk of prolonging this for more than is necessary, during my sort out of the house over the past year, I've binned loads of papers relating to things that a. we haven't got any more and b. things that I don't even remember having!! 

On 26/05/2021 at 16:33, The Scorer said:

At the risk of prolonging this for more than is necessary, during my sort out of the house over the past year, I've binned loads of papers relating to things that a. we haven't got any more and b. things that I don't even remember having!! 

I wish I could do that with Boyfriend's stuff... when he starting packing his stuff for the move, I came accross telephone bills from as far as 2007... and beware I would toss it out without asking him first... he's horrible when it comes to that. Cleaning up means just piling the stuff in a corner ... 

M.

Revenons à nos moutons - who is this?

563715534_download(1).jpeg.2d4df3cf194d21cfbd8ed8aea472c109.jpeg

PS despite the French, he is English, and not a shepherd.

23 hours ago, Marilyne said:

I wish I could do that with Boyfriend's stuff... when he starting packing his stuff for the move, I came accross telephone bills from as far as 2007... and beware I would toss it out without asking him first... he's horrible when it comes to that. Cleaning up means just piling the stuff in a corner ... 

M.

Been there, done that!

21 hours ago, seaJane said:

PS despite the French, he is English, and not a shepherd.

Are we in the midst of a "Blessent mon cœur d'une langueur monotone" moment?  Or does Jean have a long moustache?  Clueless at Hall manor at present. 

He had a more famous younger cousin - both being of a scientific turn of mind.

He looks a little like Peter Sellers in the Pink Panther film, in disguise as Lautrec.:w00t:

Movie and TV Press Photos: Pink Panther

Hah! He does. But not Sellers, nor a Frenchman in disguise. Though he did pretend to be someone else, with passport, for a time; there were consequences.

I'm loving this one. Haven't the foggiest of course but I just get the feeling it's gonna be a good un