Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

As this has been open for nearly a week, I thought I had better answer the question, the lady is Captain Flora Sandes, the only British woman to have served as a soldier on the front line as a member of the Serbian Army.

I have seen the fencing pose picture before, but sure of where to reference it from, so here’s wiki…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flora_Sandes

1 minute ago, Knotty said:

I have seen the fencing pose picture before, but sure of where to reference it from, so here’s wiki…

it's on here

https://www.abroadintheyard.com/remarkable-captain-flora-sandes-only-british-woman-frontline-soldier-ww1/

Well done Max,  you've spotted a picture of CaptaIn Sandes  that most of us haven't seen before.    At this point of the the threads life,  we are down to pretty obscure people

If you managed to find a picture of the bloke who sharpened Ferdinand Foch's pencil on 11/11/18,  one of the regulars here will I.D him in three goes - as I've found to my cost!

On 07/09/2021 at 15:38, Marilyne said:

Hi guys, 

we've had her already... with another picture I guess... those cheekbones and that smile (above all the smile) are so remarkable and recognisable... 

M.

:D

ф.jpg

A clue for you,…his place of work has been quiet  for a while.

Edited by Knotty

7 minutes ago, Knotty said:

quite

quite what? Or quiet?

Villa Park?

I'm pretty much stuck at the moment. Did he work on the Western Front?

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

I'm pretty much stuck at the moment. Did he work on the Western Front?

No Gallipoli at first then invalid back home, but started again

War reporter / photographer? 

6 minutes ago, neverforget said:

War reporter / photographer? 

Neither, but he was in an honourable profession back then………bit of a clue there.

Labour party?

Hello all,  

I am late to the game, and yet we are all winners for having learned more of Peggy.  If anyone else is interested, the link below is a wonderful episode from the Podcast ‘Cool Canadian History’ all about the life of RSM Francis Pegahmagabow.  Enjoy and check out some of the other episodes about the Great War!

https://coolcanadianhistory.com/2018/02/03/s3e11-francis-peggy-pegahmagabow-ww1-sniper-and-indigenous-activist/ 

Jim

Edited by 16thBNCanScotJim

On 19/09/2021 at 23:08, Knotty said:

Not the Labour Party 😁😁

Struggling with this one John, any chance of another clue? Remember you're dealing with a dimwit here.😊

2 hours ago, 16thBNCanScotJim said:

Hello all,  

I am late to the game, and yet we are all winners for having learned more of Peggy.  If anyone else is interested, the link below is a wonderful episode from the Podcast ‘Cool Canadian History’ all about the life of RSM Francis Pegahmagabow.  Enjoy and check out some of the other episodes about the Great War!

https://coolcanadianhistory.com/2018/02/03/s3e11-francis-peggy-pegahmagabow-ww1-sniper-and-indigenous-activist/ 

Jim

Thanks Jim 👍

Edited by neverforget

25 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Struggling with this one John, any chance of another clue? Remember you're dealing with a dimwit here

He was Liberal, and it could be said he was very fast where he was playing his basketball ( ooh I’m on form this morning)

Edited by Knotty

10 minutes ago, Knotty said:

He was Liberal, and it could be said he was very fast where he was play his basketball ( ooh I’m on form this morning)

Hmm. Might take me a while to decipher that one. 🤔

13 minutes ago, Knotty said:

basketball

basketball was invented by James Naismith