Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Max Hastings - 'Catastrophe'

paulgranger

I can only comment on Hastings' material on the Western Front. As noted above, the style of writing is very good. The substance, however, is much weaker. This reflects the heavy reliance on anecdotal and secondary sources. I wouldn't recommend his book unless you are particularly interested in the anecdotes. If you are then skim the supporting material, at least with respect to the Western Front. Only use this material as an indicator of something happening on a particular date or time. Do not place any reliance on Hastings' interpretations of why events happened. In general he has perpetuated well worn interpretations that do not reflect more recent work.

Robert

A rather remarkable price of 99p on Kindle at the moment

A rather remarkable price of 99p on Kindle at the moment

Thank you Alan for the heads-up, duly kindled

David

Oh, now, you're all being terribly unfair to Sirmax. He's already seen the price of his book halved and it's only just gone on the shelves. It'll be at The Works at a remaindered price next week, so he's losing money and how's he going to afford his champagne and oysters after that? He's got standards to keep up, you know.[/quote

Peter Harts 'the Great War' hardback book is reduced from £23 to £6.99 at the Works they have some defaced copies at £2.99 ( just where he signed them ) lol

• 3 months later...

I recently looked at "Catastrophe 1914", and was astonished to see that Max Hastings places Skoda 30.5 cm mortars at Liege, and he does so in an exact manner; perpetuating one of the undying myths associated with the 42cm Big Berthas. Makes me wonder about his source, which must be a secondary English-language work since no primary Austrian or German sources place Skodas at Liege. For the record, their first engagement was at Namur.

Just finished reading Catastrophe and thought it was a very good read indeed.

Very thought provoking and informative particularly with regard to the eastern front which i very little knowledge of.

Well done Max - looking forward to the next one.

Ant

Just finished reading Catastrophe and thought it was a very good read indeed.

Very thought provoking and informative particularly with regard to the eastern front which i very little knowledge of.

Well done Max - looking forward to the next one.

Ant

Agreed Ant, just hope he does not jump straight to 1916 and leaves 1915 out (e.g. Malcolm Brown's IWM books on 1914, 1916 and 1918)

Agreed Ant, just hope he does not jump straight to 1916 and leaves 1915 out (e.g. Malcolm Brown's IWM books on 1914, 1916 and 1918)

Jim

Is there some suggestion he's doing one per year? I hadn't realised that. I still haven't got round to reading Catastrophe yet although I have it on my Kindle for next to nothing thanks to some alert posting on the Forum by, from memory, Caryl

David

David

Evening David,

I'm afraid I am not sure at all, I just wish so. I know there is a book coming out on Bellewaarde June 1915 but 1915 is so often missed out - but then I always yearn for more on Aubers Ridge and Loos :thumbsup:

Would like to know MHs view on that year of the war though ...

All the best

Jim

Evening David,

I'm afraid I am not sure at all, I just wish so. I know there is a book coming out on Bellewaarde June 1915 but 1915 is so often missed out - but then I always yearn for more on Aubers Ridge and Loos :thumbsup:

Would like to know MHs view on that year of the war though ...

All the best

Jim

I fully agree with you about 1915, Jim. I know we've talked before about Patrick MacGill's the Great Push amongst other early memoirs, but perhaps the centenary will lead somebody to write a really good military account of the whole year. I suppose if we want encouragement it's the number of books issued this year whose title includes '1914'

David

No relation are you Jim?! :whistle:

Ant

Lol :lol: not at all Ant, although at school the headmaster used to keep asking me if I was related to Gavin Hastings, but if he took one look at my atrocious rugby playing he'd have soon worked out I wasn't!! :thumbsup:

I fully agree with you about 1915, Jim. I know we've talked before about Patrick MacGill's the Great Push amongst other early memoirs, but perhaps the centenary will lead somebody to write a really good military account of the whole year. I suppose if we want encouragement it's the number of books issued this year whose title includes '1914'

David

Jack Sheldon's book on the German Army on the Western Front in 1915 is highly commended.

Phil (PJA)

Jack Sheldon's book on the German Army on the Western Front in 1915 is highly commended.

Actually anything written by Jack Sheldon works for me! :thumbsup:

Phil (PJA)

Phil

Thank you. I should have thought of that as my daughter has his one on 1914, which she raves about

David

I'm currently halfway through Jack Sheldon's The German Army on The Somme 1914-1916. I'm enjoying it very much and can highly recommend it.

• 4 weeks later...

Catastrophe by Max Hastings

Just purchased the paper back edition in a local supermarket for £3.85 (jacket price £9.99) amazing value. Looking forward to a great read.

Mike.

I'll come clean. I'm reading ti and thoroughly enjoying it. :blush:

I'm impressed!

"Catastrophe" reminds me very much of Tuchman's "Guns of August:, a wonderful style, beautiful prose and a pleasure to read, giving a reasonable overview of events but with glaring errors in some of the specific facts. If he'd used less anecdotal "evidence" it probably wouldn't have read so well but he might have been able to concentrate on the detail.

Let me explain my comment: it's an enjoyable read. The lack of references for facts is annoying - he references works he has quoted from, but they are not referenced in an easy-to-retrieve style, and the text is, of course, pure Hastings. As a read it is enjoyable - rattles along nicely.

However, it makes massive generalisations and a lack of "evidence" to some of the assertions makes the general conclusion that Hastings gas a tendency to, shall we say, slap it on a bit.

it makes massive generalisations and a lack of "evidence" to some of the assertions makes the general conclusion that Hastings gas a tendency to, shall we say, slap it on a bit.

Haven't read the book yet but isn't this a hallmark of the graduate student approach to writing that so many celebrity author fall into?