Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Max Hastings - 'Catastrophe'

paulgranger

Recent review of Hastings' book and two others in the FT here

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/248f6960-29d3-11e3-bbb8-00144feab7de.html#axzz2gmDLpuBz

I have read the McMeekin one and found it interesting, though experts have said he overstates his case.

cheers Martin B

Read it on holiday last week, and thoroughly enjoyed it. What MH is very good at is finding stuff unusual anecdotes which flesh the story out and make it worth reading, even if you know the events quite well. I did get a little tired of sections beginning something like 'contrary to popular opinion', almost as if he has to prove everyone else got it wrong, rather than just tell the usual story well.

If MH is talking at the Pritzker, I'd definitely catch the podcast of that on line. I heard him talking about his other books and he's always good fun.

Having read more of this entertaining book I have come across a rather racy phrase which suggests that Hastings is a little blasé in his writing. Page 134 talking of considerations leading to the location to which the BEF was to be deployed he refers to General Wilson’s insistence that prevention of a German lightning victory required a forward location. I take issue with the use of ‘blitzkrieg’ in this context. Although the German army was capable of a rapid advance it had neither the aircraft,vehicles nor the communications to conduct ‘blitzkrieg’ even though the term did not then exist. Nevertheless an enjoyable read.

Old Tom

Tom I understand what you mean by the word "blitzkrieg". When I first saw it it struck me wrong also in English. However, my German co-author absolutely insists that this is the correct word from the German side. That does not make sense to me but I have been around and around on this merry-go-round!

a. He has served and he can relate to that, which most 'academic' authors cannot.

Harry

"He has served" - where? Unless you mean as a war correspondent, or perhaps you are thinking of Bill Deedes?

Correct Jim. But at least he served. H

Correct Jim. But at least he served. H

So what if he served or not?

Gareth

Greetings

My own experience is that former service gives an insight into military matters that assists in both researching and writing.

Harry

Gareth

Greetings

My own experience is that former service gives an insight into military matters that assists in both researching and writing.

Harry

I don't doubt that former service gives an insight into military matters but there are many many academics, historians, experts (and GWF posters) who have never served who are excellent researchers and writers. You seem to suggest that Max Hasting's service makes him a better man or at least a better qualified man than someone who hasn't served.

Gareth

Yes - I believe that his service in an elite unit helped him to understand military matters better, and the result has been the production of some impressive military books.

I also respect him for serving.

In response to his perceived detractors I could have said: 'At least he researched, wrote and published'. And if every GWF critic did just that then what a wealth of relevant information there would be for all of us to enjoy and use.

It may seem quirky in this day and age Gareth, but I admire people who do positive things, even if I am not a fan of what they are doing. Well Done Max!

Harry

I agree Harry, I first read Coppard's 'With a Machine Gun to Cambrai' before I joined the British Army and it left me with one impression of enlisting and going to a depot. When I read it again after having served I had a completely different impression, remembering my own trepidation as I went from 'one world' to 'another', entering the depot and having experienced how a civilian is moulded into the military mind-set, that stays with you forever. Such an experience cannot wholly replicate what a Kitchener recruit went through in 1914, I would never argue that, but I have a flavour of it, can remember the sights, smells and shock to the senses I felt. I don't think you are saying that makes MH a better researcher or writer than someone who hasn't served Harry, just that MH is remembering how he felt. Some may argue not having served adds to the objectivity, but in my opinion I think it does help.

Just my view, everyone's different,

All the best, Jim

PS In my experience I've also found that those soldiers who say that they weren't 'model' ones were usually the ones you wanted to go into battle with Harry, so good on MH :thumbsup:

And the good news is that the book is in the 2 for £20 section at WHSmiths now ... just now need to decide what to buy for the second book along with it ....

Gareth

Yes - I believe that his service in an elite unit helped him to understand military matters better, and the result has been the production of some impressive military books.

I also respect him for serving.

In response to his perceived detractors I could have said: 'At least he researched, wrote and published'. And if every GWF critic did just that then what a wealth of relevant information there would be for all of us to enjoy and use.

It may seem quirky in this day and age Gareth, but I admire people who do positive things, even if I am not a fan of what they are doing. Well Done Max!

Harry

I agree Harry, I first read Coppard's 'With a Machine Gun to Cambrai' before I joined the British Army and it left me with one impression of enlisting and going to a depot. When I read it again after having served I had a completely different impression, remembering my own trepidation as I went from 'one world' to 'another', entering the depot and having experienced how a civilian is moulded into the military mind-set, that stays with you forever. Such an experience cannot wholly replicate what a Kitchener recruit went through in 1914, I would never argue that, but I have a flavour of it, can remember the sights, smells and shock to the senses I felt. I don't think you are saying that makes MH a better researcher or writer than someone who hasn't served Harry, just that MH is remembering how he felt. Some may argue not having served adds to the objectivity, but in my opinion I think it does help.

Just my view, everyone's different,

All the best, Jim

PS In my experience I've also found that those soldiers who say that they weren't 'model' ones were usually the ones you wanted to go into battle with Harry, so good on MH :thumbsup:

Jim - Harry's argument was about service helping the writer, not the reader.

Harry - I hadn't realised he was in an elite unit, I thought he was briefly in the Parachute Reriment.

Gareth, that's what I am saying, MHs service helped him put himself in their shoes to the extent it allowed. If I were writing about Basic Training in 1914 for example before I had served, however far I had researched, it would be totally bare compared to what I would write about it after having been through it myself, even in modern (1980s) form - the feelings and sentiments would have been similar. But again, my opinion.

Sometimes I know this works against a readership, for example I know many find Gordon Corrigan a hard read, but, for me, imagining him saying the words as I read, he just sounds like every switched on/determined/ forthright/ ok ... slightly arrogant OC I ever had ... again my opinion. He writes as though he still a Major giving a Staff College lecture or set of Orders - and that detracts from what he is saying for some readers. Again, my view

I just think Max Hastings brings a ' I remember what it was like for me' element to his writing, that's all

2 for 1. I paired Catastrophe with Peter Hart's The Great War.

Ref. other points in the thread. Wasn't it Dr. Johnson who said that everyman thinks less of himself if he has "not gone for to be a soldier"?

Regards

Len ex elite Para :-))

That was a good call Len, GW wasn't on the shelves in my local 'Smiths (plus I have PHs GW already ... another 2 for £20 with Gallipoli lol) ... someone who doesn't usually get a book for X**s may be getting one this year methinks ...

I know many find Gordon Corrigan a hard read,

Please excuse an off topic interlude, but I find Corrigan's book on Wellington to be one of the most readable military history books I've ever come across

In connection with this topic I have also spotted this book today in Asda at £12 and extending this area of book-buying I purchased Holts Guide to the Western Front -South the latest edition for £7.99 at Superbooks shop in Wells Somerset for which the cover price is £17.99, the Somme and Ypres were available for the same price plus Battleground Europe WW1 guides at £3.99. Which leads me to the conclusion that those who pay full price for these books must have more money that sense or live in the Outer Hebrides? What an absolute racket book pricing is and thank goodness for those that sell at well below the cover price.

Norman :thumbsup:

Thanks Len (Post 93)

I'd begun to have doubts about donning my 17 PARA beret (with green 9 DLI badge-backing) on 10th November! But I will!. H

Hi Bushfighter,

Wear that beret with pride!

I'm ex 1 Para. That and a degree in History is where the interest in military history comes from.

Regards

Len

2 for 1. I paired Catastrophe with Peter Hart's The Great War.

Ref. other points in the thread. Wasn't it Dr. Johnson who said that everyman thinks less of himself if he has "not gone for to be a soldier"?

Regards

Len ex elite Para :-))

Dr Johnsons "saying" makes about as much sense as " A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle" frankly.

Norman

Harry - I hadn't realised he was in an elite unit, I thought he was briefly in the Parachute Reriment.

Made me laugh.