Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Max Hastings - 'Catastrophe'

paulgranger

Incidentally, I have just read the review in today's Times - having already read those in the Standard and The Spectator. I still stand by what I said earlier.

I didn't see those reviews but I did see the one in The Observer. It was generally positive although did say that his thesis is 'not always convincing'. It also says that Hastings' rule of thumb is: 'when in doubt, blame the Kraut'.

Well you can't argue with that!

:thumbsup:

Well you can't argue with that!

He makes a compelling theme about the dangers of weak men trying desperately hard to be strong.

There is a kind of arrogance in his delivery. He is too strident, too opinionated.

The Kaiser and the German General Staff are depicted as the principal culprits.

He does give more than a nod to the instincts of the German Social Democrats who were so reviled by militaristic overlords.

He exhibits an intense and exasperated anger about the flaws in British society.

I get the impression that he sees the military caste of 1914 in the same way as we see the bankers of the last decade : people out of their depth who just dug deeper and deeper into the hole...I'm even tempted to suggest that he makes conscious attempts to draw the analogy.

I must say that I'm enjoying the book immensely. It puts my emotions on edge. Strong stuff that's bound to upset people. Journalistic foray into very touchy territory.

I go to bed early and read it into the small hours, and I'm thoroughly captivated.

Phil (PJA)

I go to bed early and read it into the small hours, and I'm thoroughly captivated.

Phil (PJA)

Separate beds, then?

Strange to say, Steven, this is the one book about the Great War that I'm keen to keep telling Lynn about.

For some reason, I want her to share in the anecdotes that Hastings gives us.

It's the only book about the Great War that's ever had that effect.

Hastings as a bedfellow ?

I bet you he doesn't sleep in his vest !

Phil (PJA)

I beg to suggest that it is much, much better than 'Jounalistic foray into very touchy territory'. As you say yourself it is very captivating.

I bet you he doesn't sleep in his vest !

Phil (PJA)

And I had you down as a satin jim-jams sort of chap.

I beg to suggest that it is much, much better than 'Jounalistic foray into very touchy territory'. As you say yourself it is very captivating.

Yes, I'm beginning to repent of that remark.

Phil (PJA)

'Knock' on team while the book sells by the bucket loads. I think Hastings has perfected a style which works pretty well and suits most laymen and experts. Not least it's not yet another Snowjob. I'm greatly looking forward to reading it and disagreeing with certain aspects of it.

Hasting's is also giving the speech at the in Chicago (Pritzger Military Library) in November ....may see if I can get up there - the whole day looks interesting

http://www.pritzkermilitarylibrary.org/home/2013-symposium.aspx

Chris

I'm closing in on half way through the book and I'm very impressed. The book is very well written and moves between the various countries and battlefields (almost) seamlessly. There is a vast amount of information presented but I haven't yet been overwhelmed by it. Two thumbs up. The way this is going I hope that Mr Hastings is planning 5 books - one for each year of the war.

Just started and he is honest about his views, accepting that his conclusions are his and giving contrary views. I is also extremely well written, not in journalese, but in sound English. I'm pretty impressed. Since the publishers were too mean to provide me with a copy for review in Stand To! I paid good money for it (very good £12 at WH Smug). I rarely review books (its a principal thing)that I pay for and I will not be giving the publisher or author the pleasure of reviewing it for the mag. But it is damn good)

Protests too much.

It's almost as if, aware of his reputation as doyen of the right wing press, he seeks to compensate by infusing a different bias.

His detestation of British commitment being " gestural" as opposed to being based on a proper assessment of actual capability is rather topical : no one will escape the suggestion regarding Iraq and Afghanistan today.

His depiction of the contribution of the BEF in the desperate August September battles is more than scathing : he is very harsh indeed.

I'm half way through, and so captivated by it that I seek those quiet moments when I can steal away and read it.

If you seek to be entertained as well as informed, then this is the book for you.

No book that I've read about the Great War has exerted greater grip.

Phil (PJA)

I have pre-ordered this book as it does not seem to be available yet on Amazon here in the USA. I don't mean to sound nitpicky but a reasonable question is why did the publisher put a picture on the front from the 1930s? That is a famous fictionalized Langemark representation of third Reich vintage. I guess the concept is to sell books and it is a nice picture.

David,

New book should be printed this week by Verlag-Militaria. I am pretty sure that you are on the list to get a review copy but if not I will definitely send you one myself. Seriously we would like your views.

VR

Joe

Thanks for that. I think it might be ready at the end of the month. I did learn however that my daughter-in-law number two has been using my account for her reading list! I love my family.

Thanks for that. I think it might be ready at the end of the month. I did learn however that my daughter-in-law number two has been using my account for her reading list! I love my family.

Sorry - just seen post #63 which makes my #68 both late and redundant.

One thing you must realise that Hastings will be, without a doubt, be the voice that the media will be using next year because of this book, despite the obvious plethora of books that will be appearing, and for that reason alone it is an important book.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just finished the chapter on the causes of the war which, in my opinion, is a masterly attempt to briefly describe a complex chunk of history. I wish I had read it before reading 'The Sleepwalkers ' by Christopher Clark.

Old Tom

Have ordered it from the library. If it turns out to be a book I want to own I'll buy it. I'm getting fed up buying books that are okay (and sometimes not) but which i wouldn't want to read again.

Hazel

Just started doing the same myself Hazel, then I can save my money for the books I really, really want (and shelf space!!). Sounds like a good idea with this book too

Just finished reading it today. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is very well written and carries the reader along with a strong narrative style. I am not an expert, but I do know something of the history of the period and whilst I thought he was somewhat harsh on the performance of the BEF, I think he probably got it right as regards the way in which the British of the time focussed almost exclusively on how "we" were doing to the detriment of any appreciation of the wider picture. However I suspect that we were not alone in that regard. His overall assessments of French and Haig don't seem to be wide of the mark, the thesis that no one at that time had any real idea of how to fight a war in which the power of armaments so far outstripped the ability of generals to control them is, in my opinion, not far removed from how many modern commentators see the conduct of the war.

He shows compassion for the plight of the ordinary people caught up in the conflict, castigates the supposed powerful for their manifest failings, points the finger of blame at the foolish and does it all with a good balance of fact and spleen. As an overview of the outbreak and conduct of the early months of the war I think it will be hard to beat.

Dave Swarbrick