Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Max Hastings - 'Catastrophe'

paulgranger

Max Hastings is a bit Marmite, judging by some other threads, but if you like his style, his new book on the outbreak of the war is at our local W H Smiths for £12, which is a few quid cheaper than Amazon.

I confess the words "Max Hastings" and "Catastrophe" always go well together.

Quite.

So who or what is the catastrophe - Mr Eastbourne or the war?

(I have my own opinion but just in case there is a free book in the offing, will not broadcast it here - nets have ears!)

Oh, now, you're all being terribly unfair to Sirmax. He's already seen the price of his book halved and it's only just gone on the shelves. It'll be at The Works at a remaindered price next week, so he's losing money and how's he going to afford his champagne and oysters after that? He's got standards to keep up, you know.

his books are normally quite well written, bit of artistic licence with the action - but i imagine quite a few are when nobody can argue differently

Of course he cut his teeth as a researcher on 'The Great War' tv series. Odd that by all accounts he seems to be very agin the BEF in his latest book.

The review in the London Evening Standard tonight is by Saul David. No old pals act there, then. He uses the phrase 'genius as a (sic) historian' to describe Hastings. Hmm.

The review confirms that he is hard on the BEF, to the extent to questioning if some 1914 VCs were justified.

The review confirms that he is hard on the BEF, to the extent to questioning if some 1914 VCs were justified.

Now THAT would open a can of worms1

H

Just wondering why people seem to dislike Max? I've only read a few of his books but very much enjoyed them - especially 'All Hell Let Loose'. I've also read that he is very hard on the BEF in his new book but surely it will still be an interesting read?

I plan on ordering it later tonight so will pop up a review as soon as Im done.

Perhaps the near universal praise for Wipers Times has meant the forum needs to unload on another "product". I've always enjoyed Hastings' books and really don't understand the tone of vitriol that has appeared here to a book I presume none of us has read yet.

Standard review: http://www.standard.co.uk/arts/book/shattering-the-myths-of-the-first-world-war-8811069.html

My feeling about Sir Max's books is that they always seem to need controversy;they're also journalistic, whereas I prefer books by historians. They're never "bad" books, but I'd have to say reading a book by Sir Max never leaves me feeling a better person, and I think I've never picked one up again for another read.

I'd use his book Overlord as an example: it was fine - readable and well-researched, but it also set out to be controversialist and, having read it I've never returned to it. At pretty much the same time Carlo d'Este produced Decision in Normandy, a much better book, fair, balanced, informed and with no axe to grind.

Maybe it's the British in me, but Sir Max seems intent on producing controversies on British performance: Overlord had a piece about poor morale, etc, in British battalions. Fair nough, but it came over as someone with a chip having a go, rather than a dispassionate historian trying to set a record straight.

That and he takes money from the Fail

• Admin

Maybe it's the British in me, but Sir Max seems intent on producing controversies on British performance: Overlord had a piece about poor morale, etc, in British battalions. Fair nough, but it came over as someone with a chip having a go, rather than a dispassionate historian trying to set a record straight.

A thought which mirrors this review in the Spectator http://www.spectator.co.uk/books/books-feature/9016751/catastrophe-by-max-hastings-review/

Ken

Girl Guides' Honour - I hadn't read that beforehand.

For better or worse, I bought the book ( kindle) immediately.

I'll read the introduction tonight and report back tomorrow.

Phil (PJA)

Well, at least you are reading it first! I have read many books on WW1 and have enjoyed some more than others. For instance I am not crazy about Lynn Macdonald whom many people absolutely love. I just don't like her style although there are other anecdotal type books that I have enjoyed to some extent. However, the only author who really bothered me was Mosier and also I guess, when I think about it, Niall Ferguson. I certainly wouldn't pay money for any more of their books They do however, promote discussion. which is a good thing. Apart from that, i really feel that everyone is entitled to their own opinion which is dependent on their own taste. Books, even on WW1, have different target audiences.

Hazel

I've just purchased the hard copy version of the book and will report back when I've worked my way through it. To be honest I need a little refresher on the first months of the war, so am looking forward to reading it. I imagine this is the first in a vast number of high profile books that will be unveiled in the lead up to the centenary...

Well Done Max.

a. He has served and he can relate to that, which most 'academic' authors cannot.

b. He does write, often controversially but with good reason, & publish.

c. He doesn't swing a handbag in a girly fashion.

We need more Maxes out there, whether the pseudo-historical establishment like them or not, because they give the reader points to consider, research, debate, endorse or refute.

Harry

As promised, I report impressions of book based on reading the Introduction.

The historiographical survey is clear and compelling. The style is seductive. A blend of icy disdain and self deprecating warmth makes the text engaging and fun. I know I'm going to enjoy this book.

The number crunching anorak in me recoils from a couple of assertions he makes about the casualties of 1914.

On the strength of three minutes of reading, I am persuaded to recommend that all Forumites buy it ASAP.

Phil (PJA)

Well, I am waiting on Amazon to provide - I pre-ordered it ages ago, and although Smith's are undercutting tha Amazon rate, I'll stick with Amazon.

So far as the book's concerned, I'll reserve judgement until I've read it. i like Max Hasting's style, and I've enjoyed his other books, so i don't doubt I'll like this one. FWIIW, as Hazel says up there, we can't like all authors and I can't get on with Saul David's books, for instance.

I'll certainly read the book; I might even buy it since it's already so cheap, but I stand by what I said earlier - I really find Sir Max's books hard work, and they're normally on the pile to the second hand bookshop when I have a periodic clear-out.

Oddly, I really like Saul David's books, so it is a case of each to his/her own. (I'd agree about Lyn McDonald - can't stand them).

Thanks Paul,

I may toddle down to 'Smiths and let it drop accidentally in the basket under a load of arty stuff I buy for the kids later. Max Hastings' (no relation lol) work has got better over time I think - I read his 'Das Reich' on 2nd SS on autopilot in the end and think I finished it just for the sake of finishing it, but I really enjoyed 'Bomber Command' and 'Armageddon'. Think Hazel has knocked the nail on the head really, and Phil's initial thoughts on reading it secured the purchase in my mind.

Thanks everyone

Jim