Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guild of Battlefield Guides

Petroc

Well I have learned much from this thread. For one it does seem to me that not every IGBG BADGED guide unfortunately does not have sound knowledge concerning the laws, rules and operating procedures applicable to the many companies/guides already registered and operating as controlled by the legislation applicable to the nations they work or are based in.

To only state that we contact overseas members for advice hardly stands up to knowing the operating laws of the nations that they most often work in. By placing the IGBG on a pedestal as a model of perfection, (see web site) the Guild should really have answers up front especially if as they reveal that they are involved with EU negotiations which could/will affect all who guide within the Guild or outside of it. I am also still awaiting for a UK based/registered company/guide to confirm their legal requirements when visiting/working the overseas battlefields *with fee paying clients as this issue alone changes everything once leaving UK controlled territory.

Maybe it is some of the revelations in this thread which has aroused some heated discussions, especially due to the IGBG site stating that they are an elite, professional group etc when all of a sudden, this challenging thread has possibly exposed certain weaknesses or failings! Their collective guides battlefield knowledge may be spot on and a credit to those who achieve the internally coveted badge however, I am now not convinced that the Guild is up to speed ref their own legality whilst working abroad when compared to that of other companies/guides based, registered and working overseas in Europe and elsewhere.

Perhaps in reality, the Guild should simply speak for and represent themselves rather than feel that they are required to speak on behalf of all?

I think that is the first time in almost 2 million posts on GWF that the phrase "sticky budgerigar" has ever been used. Is it copyright?

No. Feel free. If you can squeeze it into a book on the Indian Cavalry in France, I'll buy two copies.

Simply for the sake of others reading this thread: it is perfectly possible for someone with an interest in battlefield guiding to attend all or part of a Guild event for just the cost of the event. This enables someone to meet Guild members and hopefully have an enjoyable time. Not all events are weekends away; some regional events are half day only. If the individual then decides to join, he/she has probably met people willing to propose/second them for membership, which costs £75 pa.

Tom, thank you for your invitation to meet you to discuss what you have heard (hearsay?). My time at TNA is precious and I am up against a rapidly approaching deadline so I do not wish to be distracted. If the individual you repeatedly quote still feels aggrieved then there is a clear Appeals process on the website in the Validation section.

Alison

And there's nothing more depressing than a sticky budgerigar.

In certain circumstances a non-sticky budgie might be more depressing.

It's a rich mans club and budgies make me sneeze. Apart from which when you take the fancy feathers off there is not a lot of meat on them.

On some forums the moderators would have intervened to close a thread like this down; instead we get off-topic illogical humour to cool things down...........

If you photograph the sticky budgerigar are you OK or must you transcribe it ?

Crikey - I go away to recce a tour for a few days and come back to find people throwing sticky budgerigars at each other! I'm not going to enter into the fray further, other than to state the following simple facts in relation to myself (they may not apply to everybody):

1. As a relatively inexperienced guide, the Guild provided me with the framework, support and help I needed to get me up and running. Getting the badge was bloomin' hard work. It doesn't make me an expert - it's not intended to! Working my way through the validation process has, however, developed ME as a guide. Not necessarily made me "better" than anyone else, but it's certainly improved my guiding.

2. It now provides me with access to people far more experienced than I am (we can't all be "experts" in everything, can we?) for advice and help - all of which is freely given, as well as the opportunity to participate in some cracking weekends and events I would never previously have had access to.

3. It is an organisation I have chosen to join (and, yes, paid the fee to do so!). It may not suit everybody, but it suits me (so there!).

4. You may not wish to be associated with it - and that's fine. Each to their own.

All I would say to the "neutrals" reading the thread is this - don't be put off and come see for yourself. I think you may be pleasantly surprised!

Bob Brunsdon

http://www.gbg-inter...m/guide_49.html

There's always someone who goes and spoils it by being reasonable... :w00t:

Where would angry people be if reasonableness ruled the world?

Quote: "Crikey - I go away to recce a tour for a few days and come back to find people throwing sticky budgerigars at each other!"

While I don't have a caring view either way on this issue, I've learned a new word (budgerigars) which I intend to deftly insert into one of many sophisticated conversations I shall no doubt have today.....

Edit: Wait a minute. It's just a bird. Cr@p. That was a waste of a google.

Can you lot slow down a bit, I've sorted out a crate of beer and a comfy chair but am struggling to decide if I should go for oven baked crisps or the jumbo bags of doritos currently on offer at the Coop. Perhaps both?

I'm hoping for a relaxing weekend of chortling at the thrust and parry here.

Well one learns something new every day. Not only do Canadians not play cricket, but they obviously don't keep budgerigars.

Which, of course, begs the question: What do Canadians call budgie-smugglers?

My name in the real world is John Anderson. I live in Longueval and I work as a full time Battlefield Guide. I have no military service apart from a few years in the ATC. I have been a member of the GBG for a number of years but have not taken any of the assessments to become a "Badged Guide". Taking on the challenge is for those who wish to develop their skills & be assessed against a range and performance criteria but is not mandatory. Like many organisations the Guild requires a new member to be proposed and seconded by other members, and pay an annual fee. Quite a normal process I would have thought. Membership is open to people with an interest in any period of conflict from any country. Members who work as guides should be working within the rules of the country in which their business is registered. As a French based guide I have had to register my business in France and jump through several hoops to ensure I am working legally including appropriate insurances. I joined the Guild because I felt that it would be an opportunity to meet like minded people to share knowledge and experiences & I have to say that I have not been disappointed. I have never attended a Guild event but I have met many fellow members out and about on the battlefields of the Western Front, Normandy and Gallipoli who have been friendly and always willing to share their knowledge. Many an interesting debate and different views discussed over a beer or two. Joining the GBG is a personal choice and may not appeal to everyone. It did appeal to me & I believe that being a member of the Guild has improved my guiding skills & wider knowledge. The Guild will develop and grow because it is inclusive and open to all. Please note that this is my personal view and experience of the GBG.

I feel I should declare an interest here. As the sole proprietor and customer of Self Conducted Tours I can often be seen sporting TWO badges, one is GWF and the other is WFA. These come in handy to identify myself to the locals when I need extracting from some axle deep 'ole (stoopid English),or when seeking directions from myself.

I just get the feeling that all this self regulation lark with the GBG is just in time for HMG's Great War awareness campaign, soon to get into full swing.

" If you plan to visit, use a recognised tour company and/or registered Guides ".

Snouts in the trough anyone ?..................

[

... Tom, thank you for your invitation to meet you to discuss what you have heard (hearsay?). ...

Cormorant - (hearsay?) - no, first hand.

I note your advice ref "appeals" - what is known in many organisations as not being a "CEM" (a career enhancing move). You mention half day regional events. Where and when ? (> ???? <)

Tom

Guest exuser1

Cormorant - (hearsay?) - no, first hand.

I note your advice ref "appeals" - what is known in many organisations as not being a "CEM" (a career enhancing move). You mention half day regional events. Where and when ? (> ???? <)

Tom

On looking on the website for GBFG the events seem to be mainly black tie dinners ?

You mention half day regional events. Where and when ? (> ???? <)

Tom

They're mostly pretty informal, usually advertised through the regular updates sent out by the secretary. The South West Group, for example, has done the occasional Civil War day on a suitable battlefield, visited a museum or two, the Fovant Badges and Salisbury Plain. It's no different to you and a few friends getting together to do similar!

(Mind you, we also gather round bonfires at midnight chanting incantations and sacrifice non-believers before drinking their blood in a bond of eternal brotherhood, but I mustn't say any more about that...).

On looking on the website for GBFG the events seem to be mainly black tie dinners ?

Where on the website did you see black tie dinners?

Tom - still technically hearsay as you were only told about the ' occurrence'. Regional events are on the website as and when they are organised. there was a Blitz walk in Norwich earlier this year.

There is one optional black tie dinner a year at the AGM weekend. In addition, there is an optional black tie dinner for Badged Guides in the summer. They are minor parts of the programme. So far this year we have held Guild weekends at Bletchley Park and in Newark (Civil War etc). No black tie dinners at either of them.

Chrislock, hear all you say about regulations and am sure you are right for those living on the Continent. Those of us not so lucky have to trust that our ETOA ID card covers us.

Now, may we go back to the 'sticky budgie' posts please - although I'm not sure about the 'slippery canary'.

Guest exuser1

Where on the website did you see black tie dinners?

fair few of the photographs on the latest news and events , also along with the comment about joining an elite group , can you please explain how joining the guild and becoming a guide makes you a member of an elite group ?

It's that part what rubs people's backs up being one of the best of the best of the best , says who ,the guild ?

Having looked at the 2013 events page I can see no dinners mentioned, black tie or otherwise. And while there appear to have been some black tie dinners in the past, your statement that "the events seem to be mainly black tie dinners" is hyperbole.

Guest exuser1

Having looked at the 2013 events page I can see no dinners mentioned, black tie or otherwise. And while there appear to have been some black tie dinners in the past, your statement that "the events seem to be mainly black tie dinners" is hyperbole.

"Appear to have been black tie dinners in the " there either were dinners or there was not ? or are they James Bond themed nights?