Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers pictured in the Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucester Graphic

dink999

Hi I'm researching my wife's family history and one of her ancestors Sidney Albert Merchant White enlisted with the Gloucester Regiment on 18 Aug 1902 [serial number 6536].  He was medically discharged on 31 Jan 1916 having lost a leg in battle. 

f4f4e7b9-85dd-4fcd-b96b-9d83cc477db1.jpg.e53cca69a0c4f5b9d46dc5673c637863.jpg

That is all I know about him.  Have you come across any newspaper cutting about him?  I'd love to have a photo of this hero. 

BTW are you able to answer a query concerning Sidney.  On the 1911 Census he is living with his wife in Painswick and employed as a Labourer.  How is that possible?

Sidney is pictured in The Graphic dated 24 April 1915

Dave

2D366B13-AF1F-48DC-B355-65C1BFCDEC4F.jpeg

Sidney Merchant originally enlisted, as No 4419, in 4 (Militia) Battalion Glos Regt in Stroud on 3/3/1902 - he was posted to C Coy. He was born in Painswick and was living at Victoria Street in the town at the time of his enlistment when he was aged 17 years 9 months. He stated that he was a labourer and that he was unmarried, height 5' 7", weight 110lbs, complexion fair, eyes hazel, hair dark brown, religion CofE. He was discharged to the Regular Army 18/8/02 and discharged 31/1/16 with SilverWar Badge No 320852.

3 minutes ago, dink999 said:

Sidney is pictured in The Graphic dated 24 April 1915

Dave

2D366B13-AF1F-48DC-B355-65C1BFCDEC4F.jpeg

Absolutely terrific.  Many many thanks.  My wife had a look at photo and immediately noticed striking family resemblances.  Thanks enormously.  

35 minutes ago, Promenade said:

Sidney Merchant originally enlisted, as No 4419, in 4 (Militia) Battalion Glos Regt in Stroud on 3/3/1902 - he was posted to C Coy. He was born in Painswick and was living at Victoria Street in the town at the time of his enlistment when he was aged 17 years 9 months. He stated that he was a labourer and that he was unmarried, height 5' 7", weight 110lbs, complexion fair, eyes hazel, hair dark brown, religion CofE. He was discharged to the Regular Army 18/8/02 and discharged 31/1/16 with SilverWar Badge No 320852.

Thanks.  I have transferred photo and your information onto Sidney ancestry profile.  I never knew Sidney but hear stories that he used to be employed by parish council to light up the gas street lights in morning and turn them off at night.  But today he has become a more rounded figure.  Thanks guys.   

Hi guys, could I make another quest.  Henry George TURNER [born 1 March 1873] from Upton St Leonards enlisted at Bristol on 28 April 1896 into the Glos Regiment with service number 4836.  It seems he signed for 7 years with the Colours and five years in the Reserves.  I'm almost sure he was recalled for active service during WW1.  And that is about all I know about him.  Is there any info or photographs of Henry anywhere.  Much appreciated for any help offered.  Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Oh my days.  Many thanks.  All these men were my ancestors.  L Hamblin and J Hamblin were rugby players for Gloucester and then L Hamblin (Lionel) played for the 5th during the war.  In fact, most of the Gloucester Rugby team played for the 5th Bn and were apparently unbeatable.  My Gloster's career lasted 5 years in the 70's.  I owe you a pint.

• 5 months later...

I'm hoping this thread is still active, and that someone is able to help? Thank you very much.

I have a reference to the "Chronicle & Graphic" for 14 November 1941.

Looking for a portrait picture of James Choate (deceased). James was a well-known member of the Cheltenham Fire Brigade for over 20 years, and his daughter (Gladys Matilda Choate) was the lady worker of the Cheltenham Parish Church.

Thank you again for any help.

There does not appear to be a WW1 connection so I'll message you with what I have on James Choate

Dave

Thank you very much, dink999. I admit there is no obvious WWI connection. However, there is, in a way. James Choate's daughter is Gladys Matilda Choate. As a 17/18-year-old, she spent a year in London, during which she became interested in "those daring young men in their flying machines" at Hendon and other airfields, and during 1911/12 she compiled a scrap book/autograph book/photograph album, which the Royal Aero Club Trust has recently acquired at auction. The contents will be scanned and added to our web-site at "Royal Aero Club Collection" in due course. Many of the pioneer aviators went on to serve with the RFC/RNAS. I am interested to include an appropriate narrative for Gladys, and this thread led me to my enquiry about the photograph of James Choate in the "Chronicle & Graphic". Thank you for tolerating me taking advantage of the Great War Forum.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks, I'm hoping someone can help me locate a group photo. Believe it came from the Cheltenham Graphic (don't know the year, but maybe between 1914 and 1916)

The picture is titled "Cheltonians Training On The Plain", featuring "A group of Cheltonians with the 4th(?) Reserve(?) Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment"

Doing some research on behalf of a friend, who sent me the attached photo, which is very bad - and can't remember where she got it...

Can make out some of the names: J. Holtham, T. Hall, W. Gillett, T. King, G. Gibbons(?), P. Driscoll(?)

Am hoping to find a much better quality image...  

Many thanks...

image.jpeg.a1e7d33d16af9ac7dd41dd09be151b69.jpeg

Hello,

The photo is from the Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic dated 2 September 1916. This is the best image that I have

Dave

B50E97CE-DD31-4247-A83E-CE6C64F9CC23.jpeg

• 6 months later...

Dear Dave

I compliment you on the Excel databases but as I do not know the names of the soldiers I have resorted to this request.

I'm looking at the social history of Sedgeberrow where some of my ancestors lived. Some of them gabve donations to the Dumbleton Red Cross Hospital. The Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic advertise in the Gloucestershire Echo that there would be a photograph of the men and VAD nurses (see attachment) which i hope will have some names.

I would be very grateful if you could send me the picture the appeared on 16th October 1915.

Many thanks & kind regards 

1915 advert for photo of Dumbleton RC hospital.png

Hello Saratan,

Thanks for your compliments. The images you mention are attached, unfortunately neither the soldiers or the nurses are named. However I have a Red Cross book from 1919 that should list the staff you were at Dumbleton VAD. I don’t have access to it on my tablet but will post a list of names tomorrow.

You could also search for those who worked at Dumbleton by accessing the Rd Cross site  and use the search term Dumbleton which returns 50 names https://vad.redcross.org.uk/search?searchTerm=Dumbleton

Dave

DEA10059-E799-4024-8DFE-8E091846E26F.jpeg

A09E701F-A0A4-41B7-AA38-3DBE9270BFBB.jpeg

Edited by dink999
Additional information

• Admin

Presumably this was Dumbleton Hall? One of the loveliest cricket grounds I’ve been to was in Dumbleton, with the hall as a backdrop. 

On 22/02/2023 at 12:58, Michelle Young said:

Presumably this was Dumbleton Hall? One of the loveliest cricket grounds I’ve been to was in Dumbleton, with the hall as a backdrop. 

Yes it was the county seat of the Evesham MP Sir Bolton Eyres-Monsell who converted his London Home and the Village Hall in his Dumbleton Hall Estate into such convalescent hospitals. When he married in 1909 he added his wife name (Eyres) to his own.

A really interesting thread. My Granddaughter did her PhD at Cheltenham and now works at the uni. Each year we do charity walks and last year visited the sites of every VAD hospital in Cheltenham. It was interesting to see the mix of accommodation used at the time. 

Thank you Dave for your efforts.

could someone check to see if there is a photo of Arthur John Conway, served with 10th Gloucester Regt. Originally born in Lydbrook, Glos before moving to Swansea.

He is not pictured in the “The Graphic”, as he has a Forest of Dean connection I will check through some Forest of Dean Mercury’s that I have. I’ve not indexed any soldiers pictured in this newspaper so it may take a day or two to look through them.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Possibly a long shot, but I wonder if there are any group photos of officers of the 1/6th and 1/7th Bns Gloucestershire Regt., taken either 1914 or 1915, which may appear in the Graphic?

I am particularly interested in Captain Paget George Irvine, 6th Bn, Kia November, 1915 and Captain Eustace Hotham Burnaby, 7th Bn, Kia at Gallipoli in August, 1915.

Any help much appreciated,

TIA, Robert

Robert,

There are some named/unnamed officers groups which I have indexed and neither Irvine or Burnaby at featured. However a picture of Burnaby on his own is in the 18 Sept. 1915 edition.

Hope it’s of interest

Dave

EACD07FC-A6BD-4EF3-8EE2-A01C1BAF427B.jpeg

1 hour ago, dink999 said:

He is not pictured in the “The Graphic”, as he has a Forest of Dean connection I will check through some Forest of Dean Mercury’s that I have. I’ve not indexed any soldiers pictured in this newspaper so it may take a day or two to look through them.

Dave

thanks Dave

if you could.please