Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers pictured in the Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucester Graphic

dink999

42 minutes ago, Promenade said:

Was the above photo new to you or did you already have a copy?

It was new to me, thank you very much! 

• 1 month later...

looking through the lists there are 4 mentions to various Gleed soldiers

2590  24/03/1917  GLEED  Frank  Private  Gloucesters   Naunton    Wounded by shrapnel 20 Jan 1917_

2591   09/06/1917  GLEED  Charles  Private  Gloucesters  Naunton  Seriously wounded 30 April 1917 now in 28th General Hospital, Salonika

2592  28/07/1917  GLEED  G  Private  Gloucesters  Prestbury  Wedding Group Photo married Rosa Parker from Prestbury

5236   GLEED, Frank, Private,  1917   Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 24 March  Gloucesters, Wounded by shrapnel 20 Jan 1917 Location of photograph not known    Lived in  Naunton,

is there anyway of getting copies, I dont think they are direct family but may be distant

The 2 records for Frank Gleed have the same image, here are the 3 men you're after.

Dave

Frank Gleed.JPG

Charles Gleed.JPG

G Gleed.JPG

thanks Dave, cant get the hang of technology. first time Ive seen the distant relations, grandfather died in 1963 and two brothers , last time we visited them would have been in the late seventies..

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/08/2020 at 10:21, dink999 said:

In "The Graphic" there are 2 images of W. Barnfield's in the Gloucesters as well as one of a William Barnfield. they are shown below.

Your William barnfield who was KIA  on 9th October 1915 has an entry in the book Leaving All That Was Dear by Joe Devereux and Graham Sacker. His details below are from the book with my additions in blue. You will see that he had a brother Frank who was also killed and I post his entry from the book as well.

Dave

BARNFIELD William (13358)

Private - 10 Gloucestershire Regt

Killed in action in France on the 9th October 1915 aged 25.

Address : 13 Kew Place, Bath Rd., Cheltenham (P).

Memorials : CH LU

Private William Barnfield was born in the parish of St. Lukes on the 24th May 1890 and enlisted in Cheltenham in September 1914. He was the son of the late George and Adelaide Barnfield(nee Lee) of the above address and was killed during preparations for the attack on the Hohenzollern Redoubt during the battle of Loos. He is buried in Dud Corner Cemetery, Loos Plot III, Row K, Grave 6.

William’s brother Frank(q.v.) was also killed in the war.

BARNFIELD Frank Z/8514

Able Seaman - Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Killed in action in France on the 13th November 1916

Address : 13 Kew Place, Bath Rd., Cheltenham (P).

Memorials : CH LU

Able Seaman F. Barnfield was serving with the Nelson Battalion of the 63rd (Royal Naval) Division, a mixed batch of pre-war Naval Reservists who were recalled at the outbreak of the war, but for whom no ships duties could be found. Numbering some 2,000 men, they were mustered as infantry and naval titles were given to their battalions. In November 1916 they were in the trenches at the old jumping-off point for the attack of the 1st July 1916 at Hamel on the river Ancre. On the 13th November an attack was launched to take Beaumont-Hamel and the ridge looking down on the British positions. These objectives were taken, but the Naval battalions sustained very heavy casualties. Able Seaman Barnfield is buried in Ancre British Cemetery, Beaumont-Hamel, Plot 3, Row E, Grave 41.

Frank Barnfield was born in Cheltenham in 1892, the son of the late George Barnfield and Adelaide Barnfield(nee Lee) of the above address. At the age of 18 he was working for the Cheltenham & District Light Railway Co. as a tram cleaner. Frank’s older brother William (q.v.) was also killed in the war.

Barnfield 27 March 1915.JPG

Barnfield 11 Dec 1915.JPG

Barnfield 3 March 1917.JPG

Hello Dave, 

I'm currently writing a book about my relatives and I must say these photos have been wonderful, so thank you very much for them, and of course those of Chris and Hubert Causon. Although I must ask if there are any photos of Frank Barnfield, whom you  have referenced above, in any articles? 

Thank you!

Hi,

I have not come across any photos of Frank Barnfield the the local newspapers.

Dave 

On 20/10/2020 at 12:19, dink999 said:

Hi,

I have not come across any photos of Frank Barnfield the the local newspapers.

Dave 

Hello Dave!

Just had a look and apparently there is a photograph of Frederick George Brooker in the Cheltenham Chronicle. He is my great great great grandfather (and father of George Brooker), apparently photographed with other Salvation Army members. I would love to have a copy of this, to see what he was really like

Willow

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I thought that I had posted this for you. Frederick is no. 10 in the group picture.

Dave

1916 04_17.jpg

Hello, 

I am hoping to find a battalion photo and/or individual photo of my great uncle. I tried searching but couldn't seem to get anywhere.  TIA.  Kathy

Private Leslie Everett Rickard

Gloucestershire Regiment

14th Battalion.

Kathy,

Sorry to say that there are no group photos of the 14th Gloucesters nor an individual one of Leslie Rickard.

Dave

On 08/11/2020 at 09:07, dink999 said:

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I thought that I had posted this for you. Frederick is no. 10 in the group picture.

Dave

1916 04_17.jpg

Hi Dave,

I can't remember if I said thanks for this photo but I am going to say it again; thank you very much! It is amazing to see my great great great grandfather! I hate to be a burden, but I have come across two more Barnfield relatives, one of whom was mentioned in the Cheltenham Chronicle. H R C Barnfield of the 7th Gloucesters in supposedly a wedding photo? And also possibly Albert Barnfield of the same battalion, died in 1919. 

Thanks!

Willow

I think these are the 2 you wanted. Although the A.W Barnfield image states 1/5th Gloucesters other records suggest he was in the 7th

Dave

430C9317-09EE-4ABA-B7BB-A69F0C4489B3.jpeg

374251AA-CD3F-434F-BA82-F6A28FAFE1AC.jpeg

On 19/11/2020 at 18:11, dink999 said:

I think these are the 2 you wanted. Although the A.W Barnfield image states 1/5th Gloucesters other records suggest he was in the 7th

Dave

430C9317-09EE-4ABA-B7BB-A69F0C4489B3.jpeg

374251AA-CD3F-434F-BA82-F6A28FAFE1AC.jpeg

Hi Dave

Thank you very much!! These are brilliant. H R C Barnfield is Henry Richard Charles, second cousin to my 3x great grandfather. He survived the war and died in 1973.

Apologies, I don't know why I thought Albert was in the 7th battalion. Been a little confused lately, what with being in and out of hospital, fun times!

May I ask if there is any article on Albert's brother Sidney George Barnfield? He was in the 2/4th Gloucesters. That will be all for now :)

Thanks!!

Willow

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/05/2013 at 13:33, dink999 said:

I have recently completed the indexing of all the soldiers whose photograph appears in "The Graphic". The index includes various details about individuals, family groups and small/large soldiers groups and totals some 7500 names

The names have now been uploaded into the Gloucestershire Archives online catalogue

http://ww3.glouceste...sqCmd=Index.tcl

If you click on Search Local Studies Only and then enter Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic in the finding reference box(See below) and click Search you will get a page with Click to see overview of records on. Click on Overview of records and you will get the full A to Z list of names.

If you then click on the number next to the surname you will see further details about the soldier as shown with Private Frank Adams below.

You can of course enter a surname as well in the AnyText box to reduce the number of search results

AnyText Author Title ISBN Date FindingRef Format HeldAt

Finding Ref Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic
Held At Gloucestershire Archives
Title ADAMS, Frank M, Private,
Date 1915
EnrichingChars b&w
Format Photograph
Source Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 04 December
Notes 10th Gloucesters, Wounded in the knee at Loos 27 Sept 1915 now in White Cross Hospital, Warrington
Location of photograph not known Lived in Northleach,

The Index has now been uploaded to the Gloucestershire Remembers WW1 site within the Archives website at

https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/archives/working-with-us/partnership-projects/gloucestershire-remembers-ww1/help-with-your-research-into-ww1/information-sheets-about-gloucestershire-in-ww1-compiled-by-other-researchers/

and the complete list of 7523 names can be downloaded as an excel file both in chronological order or in A to Z form. and will look like the following. There are no images online, if you find a soldier and want the image just post the details

HARRISON, C C, 2nd Lieut, Aged 23 1914 Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 03 October Worcestershire Regiment, KIA in France Location of photograph not known Lived in Cheltenham, HODGETTS, John William, Able Seaman, 1914 Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 03 October HMS Pegasus, KIA aboard HMS Pegasus Location of photograph not known Lived in Newent,

29/08/1914 POPE Critch _ Mr Cotswold Troop, Glos Yeomanry _ _ Kingscote Pictured with his wife to be, Married in Kingscote Church 25/12/1915 WILLIAMS T _ Private 2nd Gloucesters _ _ Cheltenham Wounded near Ypres 11 May 1915 still in V.A.D. Hospital, Kettering 29/08/1914 ROTHWELL _ _ _ Royal Artillery _ Cheltenham _ Cavendish House Employees joining Kitchener's Army

Hi there, thanks for all the above information.  Very interesting.  I was searching for Private A J Black - there is an an entry for him in the spreadsheet.  If there is possibility to see the photo referred to, I would be really grateful:

4115 BLACK, A J, Private, 1916 Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic, 02 September 1/5th Gloucesters , Pictured with 3 named soldiers

Location of photograph not known Lived in Cheltenham,

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, hope this image is of interest

Dave

C4CD9AC7-CF63-44AC-A5DF-4787953FBEF8.jpeg

33 minutes ago, dink999 said:

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, hope this image is of interest

Dave

C4CD9AC7-CF63-44AC-A5DF-4787953FBEF8.jpeg

Hi Dave, thanks for your prompt reply. Andrew James Black was my partner’s great grandfather, so we are delighted to see this. Private Black was sadly killed in action that year. Thanks again. 

1 hour ago, PaperBoat said:

Hi Dave, thanks for your prompt reply. Andrew James Black was my partner’s great grandfather, so we are delighted to see this. Private Black was sadly killed in action that year. Thanks again. 

Sorry Dave, just another thought. Out of interest, would there happen to be any photos of the 1/5th Gloucesters as a group? 

As Pte. Andrew Black was killed and from Cheltenham, he has an entry in a book called Leaving All That Was Dear, see below. I have updated the text with some additional family information.

His mother was Amelia Matilda Whitefield and by 1891 the family had returned to Cheltenham, living at 1, Princes Terrace, Tivoli Road. until about 1905. In 1910 Andrew was still living with his mother and siblings at 5, Painswick Parade, Painswick Road working as a Carpenter. He married Beatrice Hilda Protherough in early 1914 and left 2 sons, one of which was born 3 weeks after his father was killed. His widow was residing at 4, Yew Tree Cottages, Charlton Kings, she later remarried changing her name to Macdonald.

The modern address for 4, Yew Tree Cottages is no. 36, School Road, Charlton Kings.

There are numerous group photos of the 1/5th Glosters, an example is attached

Dave

1916 09_13.jpg

Black_LATWD.JPG

1916 12_3.jpg

Thank you, Dave.  It's very kind of you to post all this information.  At the start of your post where you mention the book Leaving All that Was Dear and the family returning to Cheltenham by 1891, is there any mention of where the family were prior to 1891, if not Cheltenham, as we have a bit of a brickwall with regards to the background of Private Black's father, also Andrew Black!  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dink,

I thought I'd ask you on here rather than hijack that other thread. Dink the pictures you provide never cease to amaze me. Quick question - would it be possible to enlarge the stretcher bearer training and c company on parade images? Very small chance I might spot someone. I found an old postcard on eBay of the 1/5th marching through Chelmsford. I bought it as i have an interest and blow me down near the front with his drums was my ancestor who I was researching. You kindly supplied me with two images of him in the past. 

Thanks 

Hopefully these will be clearer, also another full page of the 5th in Chelmsford

Dave

1914 10_14.jpg

1.jpg

Fantastic Dave. Thanks very much. The stretcher bearer picture will go into his commemorative frame I'm making. Thanks again Dave 😊👍

• 2 months later...
On 17/12/2020 at 19:04, dink999 said:

Hopefully these will be clearer, also another full page of the 5th in Chelmsford

Dave

1914 10_14.jpg

1.jpg

Hello Dave,

Are there any photographs of the 7th battalion at all? In Gallipoli or Mesopotamia?

Also, may I ask something of you? A photograph of Albert Wilfred Barnfield's older brother Sidney George Barnfield of the 2/4th Gloucesters if one can be located? Thanks so much.

Regards