Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers pictured in the Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucester Graphic

dink999

Hi Dave

I can't believe I've only just stumbled across this terrific project of yours.  If you're still open for business, could I ask you to look up the following for me on your list, please?

Private Wilson Bayliss, no. 203814, 1st/7th Worcesters, KIA 3 June 1917, shown in the Graphic on 7 July 1917.

Captain John Nason RFC, KIA 26 December 1916, shown in the Graphic on 6 January 1917.

Private George Russell, no. 1045, 1st Gloucesters, KIA 7 November 1914, shown in the Graphic 10 July 1915.

Private Sidney Vallender, no. 44901, 15th Royal Irish Rifles, KIA 17 April 1918, shown in the Graphic on 4 May 1918.

Private Jeremiah ('Jerry') Whitmore, no. 15531, 11th Borders, KIA 18 November 1916, shown in the Graphic on 3 February 1917.

All were from Corse, Staunton or Hartpury parishes.

Many thanks

Dave 

• 5 weeks later...

Dave, 

Sorry for the delay in replying to you, here are the 5 images that you are after

Dave30262669_191707_1.jpg.f455cb0012fda9887b1fdf7e58529e6e.jpg

1917 01_2.jpg

1915 07_4.jpg

1918 05_1.jpg

1917 02_1.jpg

• 6 months later...

Hello I have only just found this thread and I was wondering if you could send me any pics of soldiers with the Surname Large

Kind Regards

David Large

Hi David,

Details and images of men with the surname Large in "The Graphic" are as follows:-

26/09/1914    LARGE    H A    _    Mr    _    _    Stroud    Cheltenham    Joining up
29/05/1915    LARGE    Frank W    28    Corporal    1st Gloucesters    _    _    Ampney Crucis    KIA in France 9 May 1915
08/04/1916    LARGE    George    _    Private    C.E.F.    _    _    Canada and Woodmancote, Cleeve Hill    Pictured with his Brother
08/04/1916    LARGE    William    _    Private    C.E.F.    _    _    Canada and Woodmancote, Cleeve Hill    Pictured with his Brother
21/04/1917    LARGE    H A    _    Private    Grenadier Guards    _    _    Cheltenham    Recommended for the MM  for long service and gallantry in the field
19/05/1917    LARGE    W    _    Private    Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry    _    _    Woodmancote near Cleeve Hill    Wounded now in Hospital in Leeds
23/06/1917    LARGE    W    _    Sergeant    Medical Staff, Canadian Infantry    _    _    Winchcomb    Mentioned in Despatches 9 April 1917
15/12/1917    LARGE    G F    26    Private    Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry    _    _    Woodmancote near Bishop's Cleeve    KIA 30 Oct 1917 on his birthday
14/09/1918    LARGE    J A     _    Lance-Corporal    King's Royal Rifles    _    _    Woodmancote near Cleeve Hill     Wounded in action in June 1918 for the 3rd time now in London Hospital

Hope they are of help and interest

Dave

1914 09_13.jpg

1915 05_17.jpg

1916 04_6.jpg

1917 04_9.jpg

1917 05_9.jpg

1917 06_13.jpg

1917 12_9.jpg

1918 09_5.jpg

• 1 month later...

Good morning from New Zealand!

I am hoping you may be able to help or at least point me in the right direction - I am researching Harry Alfred Taylor/Alfred Harry Taylor - born Alfred but know forever after as Harry - born Cheltenham 1879 to Samuel and Mary Taylor.   By 1917 he is living in Clarence St, Kidderminster and occupation on his first child's brith cerficate of the same year is Royal Engineers - Sapper (Carpenter).    And that is as much as I can find of him - I have not been able to tack down a regt number.

With many thanks.

Kelly

Can I suggest you create a new thread with the title being his name an royal engineers. You enquiry os likely to get lost here

Hello and thank you.    I do have an enquiry going on that route and it was there that they thought your topic may help.   I will keep looking....he has to pop up somewhere.

Have a great week.

Regards

Kelly

• 2 months later...
On 30/11/2015 at 18:49, dink999 said:

Clive,

Here are the 2 men Dickins & Causon

Regards

Dave

post-9249-0-42628400-1448909329_thumb.jp

post-9249-0-47002700-1448909341_thumb.jp

Hubert Thomas Causon is my cousin, his little brother Sidney Albert was KIA July 23rd 1916 (and I visited his grave last year). Do you have any other photographs of Hubert, or any further information? Thank you :) 

Hi,

I don't have any other photos of Hubert, though I do now have a clearer image which I will send to you via a PM.

There are 4 other Causon's pictured in "The Graphic" as follows, let me know if you want copies

29/05/1915    CAUSON    C    _    Private    1st Gloucesters    _    _    Gloucester    Wounded twice
01/01/1916    CAUSON    James    _    Private    7th Gloucesters    _    _    Cranham    Invalided from the Dardanelles with frostbite now in Florina Military Hospital, Malta
01/01/1916    CAUSON    Jack    _    Private    7th Gloucesters    _    _    Cranham    Invalided from the Dardanelles with frostbite now in Valetta Military Hospital, Malta
11/03/1916    CAUSON    _    _    Corporal    21st Battalion Rifle Brigade ex National Reserve    _    Egypt    Cheltenham    Named Group

Dave

1 hour ago, dink999 said:

Hi,

I don't have any other photos of Hubert, though I do now have a clearer image which I will send to you via a PM.

There are 4 other Causon's pictured in "The Graphic" as follows, let me know if you want copies

29/05/1915    CAUSON    C    _    Private    1st Gloucesters    _    _    Gloucester    Wounded twice
01/01/1916    CAUSON    James    _    Private    7th Gloucesters    _    _    Cranham    Invalided from the Dardanelles with frostbite now in Florina Military Hospital, Malta
01/01/1916    CAUSON    Jack    _    Private    7th Gloucesters    _    _    Cranham    Invalided from the Dardanelles with frostbite now in Valetta Military Hospital, Malta
11/03/1916    CAUSON    _    _    Corporal    21st Battalion Rifle Brigade ex National Reserve    _    Egypt    Cheltenham    Named Group

Any Causon from Cranham is a definite relative of mine as I have been able to research the family tree in depth. It would be excellent to see these photographs. The Jack and James you mention are brothers and I'm doing a piece on them at the moment so their photographs would be most appreciated! I would love photos of the other two as well, as I'll begin research on them soon! Thank you very much!

Just looked at the name and service number of one of the men; I'm certain the C Causon you mention of the 1st Gloucesters may be Christopher Causon; I have all of his service records and have been looking for a photo for the longest time! So glad to have come across your post on Hubert before, as now I can finish my work on Christopher too, who was Hubert and Sidney's first cousin! 

10 minutes ago, PyroraptorOlympius1945 said:

Any Causon from Cranham is a definite relative of mine as I have been able to research the family tree in depth. It would be excellent to see these photographs. The Jack and James you mention are brothers and I'm doing a piece on them at the moment so their photographs would be most appreciated! I would love photos of the other two as well, as I'll begin research on them soon! Thank you very much!

Hi,

Dave

Forgot to mention and I do hate to be a pain but are there any photos of George William James Brooker of the 7th Gloucestershire regt (10310) in the Graphic mentioned? He's my uncle, brother to my great great grandmother Bessie May Causon (nee Brooker) thank you 👍

Here are the images of the Causons plus 2 of George Brooker, it's the same image but with different text they were in the paper on the 21 April 1917 & 22 Sept 1917

Dave

Causon Brothers.JPG

1916 03_7.jpg

Causon C .JPG

Brooker G.JPG

Brooker G. 2 JPG.JPG

Here are the images of the Causons plus 2 of George Brooker, it's the same image but with different text they were in the paper on the 21 April 1917 & 22 Sept 1917

Dave

Causon Brothers.JPG

1916 03_7.jpg

Causon C .JPG

Brooker G.JPG

Brooker G. 2 JPG.JPG

Fantastic! Thank you ever so much Dave!! To see my uncle George in such detail is wonderful too!

Did you see anything for Sidney Albert Causon, 1/5th Gloucesters, A Coy? I do have a photo from the De Ruvigny Roll of Honour so if an article can't be found then that's alright :)

Thanks again!!!

Hello Dink999,

any chance you could have a look-see for Albert Bunce 20715 14th Gloucester. Also Frederick Smith 5670 1st Somerset LI (originally from Bristol).

Many Thanks

Gareth

On 22/07/2020 at 08:26, dink999 said:

Dave

Causon Brothers.JPG

1916 03_7.jpg

Causon C .JPG

Brooker G.JPG

Brooker G. 2 JPG.JPG

Hello Dave, hope you don't mind, but I have a couple of requests for some more family members; this is because I am now creating a family tree with my uncle and are using any available photographs we have on certain people. It is fine if there aren't any available for the following people.

George Edwin Kemmett of the 12th Gloucesters; he was first cousin to my great great grandmother Mabel Barsellotti (nee Kemmett).

Albert Edgar Kemmett of the 3/5th Gloucesters; he was Mabel Barsellotti's brother - my 3x great uncle.

Francis George Preece of the 13th Gloucesters; he was brother to my great great grandfather Leonard Dennis Preece. 

Kind regards!

Willow :)

On 26/07/2020 at 19:19, gareth morris said:

Hello Dink999,

any chance you could have a look-see for Albert Bunce 20715 14th Gloucester. Also Frederick Smith 5670 1st Somerset LI (originally from Bristol).

Many Thanks

Gareth

Sorry neither of these men are pictured in the newspaper

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

Would you possibly have a photo of Pte Philip John King G/24620 of the Royal West Kent Regiment? He was killed in action on the 4th February 1917 age 24 serving with the 11th Battalion. In the 1911 Census he was living at 3 Cambridge Street in Gloucester which was situated somewhere near Prince St and Albert St at the time. He left a widow by the name of Florence Louisa and two children. I know his name is commemorated upon the City of Gloucester War Memorial

Many thanks,

Stuart.

This should be your man pictured in the newspaper dated 21 Apr 1917

Dave

1BBD5C25-83B0-42AC-8450-7726CA4A3E48.jpeg

Dave, appreciate your efforts. 
Many thanks,

Stuart.

I have extended my family research furthermore and found that my great great great grandmother Sophia Barnfield, who married Isaac Causon, had cousins who served in the Gloucestershire regiment. One of them was William Barnfield of the 7th Gloucestershire regiment (A Coy), who was KIA in Mesopotamia on the 10/2/1917 - interestingly the same day as my great uncle George William James Brooker. This was during the battle of Kut Al Amara, and on that day, the Gloucesters could only send out the A Coy. This William Barnfield was the son of Charles Alfred Barnfield and Hannah Phelps and he was born in 1892. He is not to be confused with William James Barnfield of the 1st battalion Gloucesters (KIA 29/10/1914) whose relation to me is not yet known. I have another William Barnfield in my family, of the 10th Gloucesters (born 1890, KIA 9/10/1915) son of Adelaide Lee and George Barnfield (this William is my first cousin 5x removed). It would be lovely to be provided a photograph of William Barnfield from the 7th Gloucesters, or the William Barnfileld from the 10th Gloucesters. There is a photograph online of William James Barnfield, and I am currently trying to find my relation to him. Thank you!

In "The Graphic" there are 2 images of W. Barnfield's in the Gloucesters as well as one of a William Barnfield. they are shown below.

Your William barnfield who was KIA  on 9th October 1915 has an entry in the book Leaving All That Was Dear by Joe Devereux and Graham Sacker. His details below are from the book with my additions in blue. You will see that he had a brother Frank who was also killed and I post his entry from the book as well.

Dave

BARNFIELD William (13358)

Private - 10 Gloucestershire Regt

Killed in action in France on the 9th October 1915 aged 25.

Address : 13 Kew Place, Bath Rd., Cheltenham (P).

Memorials : CH LU

Private William Barnfield was born in the parish of St. Lukes on the 24th May 1890 and enlisted in Cheltenham in September 1914. He was the son of the late George and Adelaide Barnfield(nee Lee) of the above address and was killed during preparations for the attack on the Hohenzollern Redoubt during the battle of Loos. He is buried in Dud Corner Cemetery, Loos Plot III, Row K, Grave 6.

William’s brother Frank(q.v.) was also killed in the war.

BARNFIELD Frank Z/8514

Able Seaman - Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Killed in action in France on the 13th November 1916

Able Seaman F. Barnfield was serving with the Nelson Battalion of the 63rd (Royal Naval) Division, a mixed batch of pre-war Naval Reservists who were recalled at the outbreak of the war, but for whom no ships duties could be found. Numbering some 2,000 men, they were mustered as infantry and naval titles were given to their battalions. In November 1916 they were in the trenches at the old jumping-off point for the attack of the 1st July 1916 at Hamel on the river Ancre. On the 13th November an attack was launched to take Beaumont-Hamel and the ridge looking down on the British positions. These objectives were taken, but the Naval battalions sustained very heavy casualties. Able Seaman Barnfield is buried in Ancre British Cemetery, Beaumont-Hamel, Plot 3, Row E, Grave 41.

Frank Barnfield was born in Cheltenham in 1892, the son of the late George Barnfield and Adelaide Barnfield(nee Lee) of the above address. At the age of 18 he was working for the Cheltenham & District Light Railway Co. as a tram cleaner. Frank’s older brother William (q.v.) was also killed in the war.

Barnfield 27 March 1915.JPG

Barnfield 11 Dec 1915.JPG

Barnfield 3 March 1917.JPG

2 hours ago, dink999 said:

In "The Graphic" there are 2 images of W. Barnfield's in the Gloucesters as well as one of a William Barnfield. they are shown below.

Your William barnfield who was KIA  on 9th October 1915 has an entry in the book Leaving All That Was Dear by Joe Devereux and Graham Sacker. His details below are from the book with my additions in blue. You will see that he had a brother Frank who was also killed and I post his entry from the book as well.

Dave

BARNFIELD William (13358)

Private - 10 Gloucestershire Regt

Killed in action in France on the 9th October 1915 aged 25.

Private William Barnfield was born in the parish of St. Lukes on the 24th May 1890 and enlisted in Cheltenham in September 1914. He was the son of the late George and Adelaide Barnfield(nee Lee) of the above address and was killed during preparations for the attack on the Hohenzollern Redoubt during the battle of Loos. He is buried in Dud Corner Cemetery, Loos Plot III, Row K, Grave 6.

William’s brother Frank(q.v.) was also killed in the war.

BARNFIELD Frank Z/8514

Able Seaman - Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Killed in action in France on the 13th November 1916

Able Seaman F. Barnfield was serving with the Nelson Battalion of the 63rd (Royal Naval) Division, a mixed batch of pre-war Naval Reservists who were recalled at the outbreak of the war, but for whom no ships duties could be found. Numbering some 2,000 men, they were mustered as infantry and naval titles were given to their battalions. In November 1916 they were in the trenches at the old jumping-off point for the attack of the 1st July 1916 at Hamel on the river Ancre. On the 13th November an attack was launched to take Beaumont-Hamel and the ridge looking down on the British positions. These objectives were taken, but the Naval battalions sustained very heavy casualties. Able Seaman Barnfield is buried in Ancre British Cemetery, Beaumont-Hamel, Plot 3, Row E, Grave 41.

Frank Barnfield was born in Cheltenham in 1892, the son of the late George Barnfield and Adelaide Barnfield(nee Lee) of the above address. At the age of 18 he was working for the Cheltenham & District Light Railway Co. as a tram cleaner. Frank’s older brother William (q.v.) was also killed in the war.

Barnfield 27 March 1915.JPG

Barnfield 11 Dec 1915.JPG

Barnfield 3 March 1917.JPG

Thank you very much, this has been brilliant! I never knew the 11th Gloucesters' William had a brother who was also KIA so this will be interesting to look into! 

Hello Dave, thank you for the photos of the Barnfields!!

I posted quite a while ago about my great great grandmother Mabel Barsellotti (nee Kemmett)'s brother Albert Edgar Kemmett and their first cousin George Kemmett (who lived with them in 1911) and I simply posted it onto this site, not onto this page specifically. I know there is a photo of George in the Berrow's Worcester Journal though this can only be accessed through the Worcester Archives. I'm wondering if either of them are photographed in the Graphic (Albert was 5th Glo'sters and George was 12th Glo'sters).