Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers pictured in the Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucester Graphic

dink999

21 hours ago, Sher said:

Hi Dave,

Are you still able to get the photographs from the Cheltenham Chronicle?  If so I wondered if you would be able to get the picture of Rifleman T Wheeler in the 2nd Sept 1916 edition.  It states on the list that he is pictured with 5 other soldiers of the London Regiment.

Thanks

Sheryl

Sheryl,

Hope this is the man you are interested in.

Dave

852.JPG

Hello Dave,

I'm helping a friend research a couple of his relatives and I believe there's a picture of them in the graphic. However I'm on my phone so can't see the dates they were listed. The family name is Trinder. (Possibly Alan John Trinder) If you need me to locate the date and year that's not a problem I'll have a look when I get home. Many thanks Dave

Dan

Dan,

There are 5 Trinder's listed but only one with the initial A. if this is not your man just let me know and I will repost the correct one

Dave

19.JPG

30 minutes ago, dink999 said:

Dan,

There are 5 Trinder's listed but only one with the initial A. if this is not your man just let me know and I will repost the correct one

Dave

19.JPG

Dave thank you very much. I will get some more information and come back to you if needs be. Again thanks for taking the time to help ☺

Dan

Hi Dave , if you have a chance would you please look up Lance corporal Walter Mclean in the 23rd November 1918 issue ?

Thanks Steve.

Steve,

Here is L/Corpl Walter McLean

Dave

McLEAN_Lance_Corpl_Walter.JPG

Thank you very much Dave , greatly appreciated . 

Regards Steve.

18 hours ago, dink999 said:

Sheryl,

Dave

852.JPG

Thanks so much Dave for your quick response.  He was killed 3 months after this photo was taken and he is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

Many thanks again, Sheryl

Sheryl,

Checking my database it looks like there is another picture of him in the 14th Oct 1916 edition of the Graphic in which he has been recorded as E. G. Wheeler when I'm sure it should be T. G Wheeler as in Thomas Gilbert.

Here is that photo

Dave

360.JPG

On 27/10/2018 at 12:35, dink999 said:

Sheryl,

Dave

852.JPG

Thanks so much Dave. You are right it is him. The address of his wife and parents fit with every thing else I have found. I really appreciate the time and effort you have taken.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, I saw on the list from the photographs that were in the Gloucestershire newspaper the name Albert Hitchman which is my Great Grandad, I just wondered if I was able to be sent the picture of him if that’s possible? 3257 was the number for his picture if that’s of any help? Tia

😀

Hi,

It looks like there are 2 possible photos of Hitchman, both in groups of Gloucesters. The first is from April 1916, listed as Private Hitchman and the 2nd from August 1917 where he is described as Corp. A. Hitchman. Not sure if they are the same man or indeed your Great Grandad. If he was from Cheltenham, Glos then the man in the 2nd photo could be him

Dave

Hitchman 15 April 1916.JPG

1238.JPG

Hi

I'm interested in the Bloodworth family from Cheltenham and was wondering if there are any photos of N C B Bloodworth who served with the Gloucestershire Regt during WW1 and/or his brother A F Bloodworth, he saw service with the RNAS/RAF in WW1.

Regards

Andy

Have you come across a Capt. P.R Forde? who commanded 270 Railway Labour Company RE which was I believed raised in Gloucester?

Thanks

Julian

On 13/03/2019 at 13:59, Gloslad said:

Hi

I'm interested in the Bloodworth family from Cheltenham and was wondering if there are any photos of N C B Bloodworth who served with the Gloucestershire Regt during WW1 and/or his brother A F Bloodworth, he saw service with the RNAS/RAF in WW1.

Regards

Andy

Andy, I have 4 Bloodworth men in my list with Picture in the Graphic, N C B Bloodworth is one of them, I have attached his photo along with the others just in case they are connected.

09/09/1916 BLOODWORTH J W _ Lance-Corporal 11th Gloucesters A. Company _ The South Coast _ Pictured with 13 other named soldiers
13/10/1917 BLOODWORTH N C B _ 2nd Lieut Gloucesters _ _ Cheltenham Pictured with 4 named soldiers and their Lewis Gun
12/01/1918 BLOODWORTH R W _ Sergeant R.F.C. _ Highbury Church Cheltenham Wedding Photo married Marion Gwendoline Griffiths from Cheltenham
23/03/1918 BLOODWORTH F  _ Air Mechanic R.F.C. _ Jerusalem Cheltenham _

Dave

NCB Bloodworth.JPG

F Bloodworth.JPG

JW Bloodworth.JPG

RW Bloodworth.JPG

On 13/03/2019 at 14:50, JulianR said:

Have you come across a Capt. P.R Forde? who commanded 270 Railway Labour Company RE which was I believed raised in Gloucester?

Thanks

Julian

Hi Julian,

Sorry to say this man is not on my list, so I do not have a photo of him.

Dave

Hi Dave

Many thanks, very interesting and N C B Bloodworth is definitely one of the men I'm researching.

Again many thanks, very kind of you to offer this service.

Regards  -  Andy

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave

At the risk of taking advantage would you be able to tell me if the Chelt/Glos Chronicle has a photo of Lt (later Capt) F E Francillon of Dursley. He commanded D Coy, 1/5th Gloucesters and I believe he served from approx. 1912 to 1919.

Many thanks

Andy

Hi, 

I'm not sure if you're still finding photos for people but in case you are please could you have a look for a photo of my Great, Great Uncle is Arthur William Eagles? He died in the Battle of the Somme age 21 on 23rd July 1916 and is commemorated on Thiepval Memorial as he has no known grave. His picture is in Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic Art and Literary Supplement, Issue 821, 23 September 1916. I'd be forever grateful if you could find any photos of him as we have none and know very little about his life. His nephew is still alive and would also be incredibly grateful if you could find a photo as his Uncle died before he was born. 

Thank you very much!

Abi. 

Edited by Guest

Hi Abi,

Hope this photo brings your family some pleasure.

As he was from the Forest of Dean, I know his baptism and other family details are on the following free site that I have connections with.

https://forest-of-dean.net/joomla/index.php

Dave

1916 09_13.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am hoping that you are still responding to requests on this post - could you please help me with the following of one of my family members?

3576       21/10/1916         ILES        JT            -              PRIVATE               GLOUCESTERS

4472       ILES, J, T, PRIVATE            1916 OCTOBER Cheltenham CHRONICLE & GG

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Your request for James Iles' photo is strangely timely, the text below his image states that his widow and child were living in Naunton, Glos. and I was in the village today having lunch at the Black Horse Inn after cycling from Cheltenham. How odd is that??

Anyway, hope you find the photo of help and interest.

Dave

1916 10_9.jpg

Dave  - I can't thank you enough for this.  It means a great lot to our family as this is the first time many of us have seem him (no photos survived).  So a HUGE thank you.  And yes that is very odd that you were in his home town today - I guess that was James's way of saying 'Hey, remember me!'