Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers pictured in the Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucester Graphic

dink999

Many thanks Dave. I had found the census stuff and wondered whether Alfred William was William the deceased and late last night it dawned on me that William deceased was most likely not a result of action in WW1. I think the 1901 confirms William as the Grenadier Guard. I have one of Percy's WW1 medals, so was trying to put together a family portrait. The Gardener name being dropped is something else for me to look further into, a lot of Gardeners in the Oakridge area.

Many thanks again for your quick response. I have just finished a Lottery funded WW1 community project in our village where we have added 12 names to our war memorial and reinstated the original clock. I have also written a book about our village and our men which includes all the research. Here is the link if you are interested. www.fordhamhistorysociety.co.uk and www.facebook.com/groups/490875691067007/?ref=bookmarks

20171112_111821.jpg

8 hours ago, dink999 said:

Hi Wendy,

The picture of the 5 brothers is attached. Looking at the image of William and the fact that it just states that he is dead leads me to think that he died pre war.

This gets us a bit off topic but will hopefully be allowed due to his brothers links to WW1

A William Bishop , Grenadier Guards is a bit hard to find, but searching for his brother Percy T Bishop got me to the 1881 census on which I think all 5 brothers pictured are recorded.

With William Bishop being Alfred W Bishop aged 15, so born about 1866, which makes him a bit old to have fought in WW1, though not impossible.

Name    Age

Alfd. Wm. Bishop             47

Dinah Bishop      33

Alfred W. Bishop             15

Blanche A. Bishop            12

Samuel Hy Bishop           10

Frederic E. Bishop           8

Emma J. Bishop               6

Percy T. Bishop               4

Joseph R. Bishop              3

Mary H.L. Bishop              1

Name    Age

Alfred Wm Bishop           37

Dinah Bishop      23

Alfred Wm Bishop          5

James Newman Bishop 4

Blanche Anne Bishop     2

Saml Henry Bishop         6 Months

As the family were from Gloucestershire you can use the free site Glos BMD to search for the brothers births and get their mother's maiden name.

Strangely Alfred William Bishop does not show up, but Percy and the others do with the mother's surname showing as NEWMAN.

Searching again leaving the surname blank, with Stroud as the district, year of birth 1865 +- 2 years and you get 2 hits that link to the 1871 census entry above

GARDINER    Alfred William    NEWMAN    1865    Stroud    Stroud, Bisley    9    157    
GARDINER    James Newman    NEWMAN    1866    Stroud    Stroud, Bisley    9    372

A marriage search come up with a Dinah Newman marrying a Alfred William Bishop Gardiner in Stroud district in 1864. So at some point after 1866 Alfred senior stops using the surname Gardiner.

The 1901 census show the following

Name                                    Age

Alfred William Bishop     67

Dinah Bishop      53

Alfred William Bishop   35 Army Pensioner

Elizabeth F J Bishop         19

G W M E Bishop                12

E Dorothy Bishop             11

A search for a death of an Alfred William Bishop in the local area gives us only one in 1903, aged 38, my guess it that would be your man William, though a final bit of info from the newspapers in 1915 does not indicate that William is deceased, it does tell you a bit more.

Dave

148.JPG

Glos_Chronicle_23_Jan_1915.jpg

Percy's medal is on the popular online auction house if its of any interest to anyone. 

Cheers

Dan

• 3 months later...

Dave

How far beyond armstice did your researches go?

I have it recorded in a handwritten note that an accident occured on the old Birdlip Hill on 8th September 1919 where a RASC traction engine ran away whilst ascending the hill. Its driver. John Fletcher of the RASC (Aged 25) was killed. The note suggests that there was a photograph of the aftermath in the Cheltenham Chronicle and Graphic paper.

The journey was from Gloucester to Winchester and he used Birdlip rather than Crickley as instructed.

The online newspaper archive only has 4 pages of the subsequent Saturdays paper.

I would be very interested to find the article and photograph.

• 4 weeks later...

hi Dave

is the link on the first page no longer available, I get a 404 error saying not available.

Im looking for a photo of Henry G Williams 16205 1st Btn,Gloucester Regt from Blaize Bailey. might be on the edge of Forest of Dean. he was in Gloucestershire at one time. died 18th July 1916 just been to Contalmaison Chateau to visit his grave.

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 08:45, dink999 said:

Joshua,

Hope this group photo will show you your man Clevely clearly enough

Dave

IMG_3538.JPG

found this post by complete accident looks like my relative Frederick Robbins although spelt Robins in the write up and on our local memorial hopefully its not a coincidence he was in the 7th during Gallipoli and was transferred to the 1st glosters and died on the somme

Chaz,

Since the Archives did an "upgrade" the pages and links are rather difficult to find but this WW1 lists should get you the the page where you can download some spreadsheets.  Though your man Henry G Williams is not listed.

I will updated the link in my original post

Dave

On 08/05/2018 at 14:50, 8_10 Brass Cleaner said:

Dave

How far beyond armstice did your researches go?

I have it recorded in a handwritten note that an accident occured on the old Birdlip Hill on 8th September 1919 where a RASC traction engine ran away whilst ascending the hill. Its driver. John Fletcher of the RASC (Aged 25) was killed. The note suggests that there was a photograph of the aftermath in the Cheltenham Chronicle and Graphic paper.

The journey was from Gloucester to Winchester and he used Birdlip rather than Crickley as instructed.

The online newspaper archive only has 4 pages of the subsequent Saturdays paper.

I would be very interested to find the article and photograph.

Sorry for the delay in replying, there is a photo of the accident in the Pictorial Graphic dated 20 Sept 1919, my slightly blurred image is attached.

I will try and get a better copy for you within the next week

Dave 

303.JPG

• 2 months later...

Hi Dave,

I'm  researching the WW1 war dead from the village of Alderton in North Glos and I've just discovered your database of photographs. Amazing resource! I've found 8 of my chaps in the spreadsheet is it still possible to get copies of the photographs.  If so the details are listed below:

Pte Reginald Agg No. 4651 2/5th Glos 

Pte William Diston No.13349 10th Glos

Pte Frank Fisher No.307465 2/8th Royal Warks

Pte Ralph Fletcher No. G/17078 12th Royal Sussex

L/Cpl Harold Franklin No.204097 1/4th Kings Shropshire LI

Pte Alfred Victor Grimmett No. 17237 8th Glos

Pte John Hall No.4517 2/5th Glos

Pte William Shakespeare No.16323 1st Glos

Pte Albert Taylor No.26580 2/6th Royal Warks

Please let me know if you need any further info.

Many thanks in advance

Simon

Simon,

Here is one of the images you wanted. It is from "The Graphic" of 14 Oct 1916 and is of Reginald Agg, he is pictured with his brother Albert, who was gassed and wounded.

I have sent you another pm with my correct email

Dave

896.JPG

Hi Dave

Many thanks, the photos are fantastic and will make a real difference to the research.

Cheers

Simon 

• 1 month later...
On 07/06/2018 at 14:27, dink999 said:

Sorry for the delay in replying, there is a photo of the accident in the Pictorial Graphic dated 20 Sept 1919, my slightly blurred image is attached.

I will try and get a better copy for you within the next week

Dave 

303.JPG

Sorry fornthe delay in offering my thanks.

Brilliant. Many thanks indeed

Hello. I would just like to say how happy I am to have stumbled across this amazing thread.

I am currently researching my great-grandfather Pte (later Cpl) Wallace Alfred Davis MM and Bar from Cheltenham. I have a copy of the Glosters 14-18 hardback published 1930 and I know when he won his medals. However, I am after photographs of him from 2nd December 1916, apparently pictured with his two serving brothers (Ptes AE and SJ Davis); and 23rd February 1918 following the first MM.

If anyone is able to help me with this request I will be exceedingly grateful. Thank you.

Francis, have you seen this?

https://collections.soldiersofglos.com/documents/notebook-army-book-152-belonging-to-241626-corpo~glrrm-07345-3/

Notebook (Army Book 152) belonging to 241626 Corporal Wallace Alfred Davis. 16 Platoon, "D" Company, 2/5th Battalion, The Gloucestershire Regiment. 1918.

Kath.

Francis,

Here are the 2 photos that you asked for

Dave

459a.JPG

32.JPG

Wow! Thanks Dave - I am immensely grateful to you for your time and kindness.

Kath, thank you too for the link earlier. Is this artefact still in Gloucester? If so, I will have to make a visit.

I have a query from another family branch regarding my other great-grandfather Frank Henry Taylor. My uncle tells me he was an RSM in the Glosters and won a DCM. However, I've found no record at all of this in the archive spreadsheet. I don't suppose you may know?

Very best wishes.
Francis.

2 hours ago, dink999 said:

Here are the 2 photos that you asked for

Dave, which newspaper?

I looked in FMP Cheltenham papers but did not find the photos.

Kath,

These images are from the Pictorial "Arts Supplement" of the Cheltenham Chronicle and Gloucestershire Graphic, published from 1901 to 1942.

These editions are not on Find My Past or the British Newspaper Archive except for 1901 and 1902 which seem to have been attached to the Cheltenham Chronicle when the newspapers were at the British Library

Dave

My great-grandmother's first husband was a chap called Charlie Bishop. He was killed in Thessaloniki in 1917. I see from the spreadsheet that there are two references to him, including photographs. Are these possibly available? I've attached a screenshot.

Many thanks.

Screenshot 2018-10-08 at 21.28.25.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

Are you still able to get the photographs from the Cheltenham Chronicle?  If so I wondered if you would be able to get the picture of Rifleman T Wheeler in the 2nd Sept 1916 edition.  It states on the list that he is pictured with 5 other soldiers of the London Regiment.

Thanks

Sheryl

On 08/10/2018 at 21:36, FrancisT said:

My great-grandmother's first husband was a chap called Charlie Bishop. He was killed in Thessaloniki in 1917. I see from the spreadsheet that there are two references to him, including photographs. Are these possibly available? I've attached a screenshot.

Many thanks.

Screenshot 2018-10-08 at 21.28.25.png

Francis, 

Sorry for the delay in replying here are the 2 images you asked for. The address of 12 Portland Terrace, Cheltenham is now no. 7 Albert Place

Dave

1059.JPG

1256.JPG