Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who or What is your Avatar

hmsk212

That's blue black white.

I thought it was similar to Lithunaia.

:)

OK - you win. Lithuania it is...though there are a few S American states similar.

Mine is the top of the Canadian Memorial at Vancouver Corner....my favourite memorial.

Bruce

Estonia?

Hmm!

I thought it was similar to Lithunaia.

Double Hmm!

That is me in my Avatar, "in costume" during the filming of the CBC documentary "The Great War".

Hmm!

Double Hmm!

Ali...."tonhgue in cheek" emoticon :lol:

Mine is the crest of Swansea City.

Yeah yeah, I know it says im from Yorkshire but I am a 'Jack' at heart :D

Womo

Mine is my Grandfather, Pvt Jack Short when he was enlisted in the Scottish Horse. photo taken at Dunkeld, Scotland 1916 while in training there.

Mine is of the ship Oxfordshire, which carried my grandfather Private F D Stowell, away to war. It was from a postcard he sent to his then girlfriend, my grandmother.

Mine currently is the 41st Division Memorial at Flers.

I will be staying at Dinnaken House in Flers next week and this memorial is the first thing You see in the morning when you wake up and look out the bedroom window.

Ian. :P

**Thanks to Ken Lees who originally sent me the picture when I requested on his last visit to Flers**

Hi

At the moment mine is Pte Robert Hamilton, 2nd battalion Seaforth Highlanders, someone who I have tried to find for the best part of 5-6 years. Commemorated on the Rankinston War Memorial. Served as William Shanley, same number, same Regiment, same date of death, same cemetery, same, same, frustrating search.

But unable to officially connect the 2.

James

Mine is the Memorial at Doiran, perched atop "Colonial Hill" looking north to the Bulgarian trenches and the Devil's Eye.

post-16303-1170016776.jpg

On one side of the column is inscribed:

IN GLORIOUS MEMORY

OF

418 OFFICERS

AND

10282 OTHER RANKS

OF THE

BRITISH SALONIKA FORCE

WHO DIED IN

MACEDONIA AND SERBIA

1915-1918

AND

TO COMMEMORATE

1979 OF ALL RANKS

WHO HAVE

NO KNOWN GRAVE

BUT WHOSE NAMES

ARE ON THE PANELS

THEY DID THEIR DUTY

The four sides of each of the four plinths, and two walls in between, are densely graven with the names of the fallen...

Regards,

Adrian

Adrian,

Did you notice any Royal Munster Fusiliers soldiers names on the memorial panels for period 1915-18.

Sullivan.

Mine alternates between the logo I created for my website ( a K superimposed over the outline of the Rannes Public Hall) and the emblem of the 51st Highland Division.

Guest geoff501
Well for the month of May and June it's got to be George Leigh Mallory and Andrew 'Sandy' Irvine, who 83 years ago were attempting to climb Everest. They went missing on 8th June 1924 close to the sumit. The body of Gerge Mallory was found in 1999, that of Sandy Irvine was never 'officially' found.

Two very brave men

And one remaining question - did they make it?

For as long as I've known the story, I like to think Yes.

In Goodbye To All That, it is mentioned that George went through the war as a gunner lieutenant, "but kept his nerve- by rock climbing on leave" (p62).

What unit did he serve with?

For as long as I've known the story, I like to think Yes.

In Goodbye To All That, it is mentioned that George went through the war as a gunner lieutenant, "but kept his nerve- by rock climbing on leave" (p62).

What unit did he serve with?

Well of course they made it - but them I'm biased ;) (living in Cheshire and 2 miles from where he was born)

He served with the RGA and went to France on the 4th May 1916 and reported for duty with the 40th Siege Battery that was just North or Armentieres

...........can't find his MIC though :blink:

Mine is now a young Coldstream officer posted as missing whose mother wouldnt except that he was killed

H H C Williamson

Same as it's always been, the headstone of Brigadier-General Sir John Gough, V.C., K.C.B., C.M.G., Chief of Staff First Army, 22-2-15. Buried in Estaires. To my mind, one of the great 'What if's' of the war.

Andy

post-1871-1180286257.jpg

didnt know that

Funnily enough, Tom and I took photos of that self-same headstone last weekend. Visiting for a Forum pal's relative photo, and there was Gough.

Mine is simply scanned from my Irish Defence Forces pension cheque receipt :P

Connaught Stranger. :D

Mine is my Grandfather Private John Richard Evans, joined 2/1st Shropshire Yeomanry 22nd October 1914 "after the harvest". Served in Egypt and then France with the 10th KSLI. Captured at the Lys Canal on the 22nd August ,he almost starved whilst working as a prisoner of war. Suffered with his health for the rest of his life dying in 1946 aged 52.

Eric.

Yesterdays avatar was our male,Souri,whom I have deposed in honour of Micks cat.

This one isnt a poilu,its a french sgt.from the prussian wars.

This one isnt a poilu,its a french sgt.from the prussian wars.

He actually is a Poilu then. (That term was also used 1870-71 too, though Grognard was also (probably more) popular).

Dave